News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Northern Virginia HOT Lanes

Started by mtantillo, August 14, 2012, 11:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 18, 2012, 11:05:20 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on November 18, 2012, 10:17:12 PM
BTW, cp, it sounds as though you exited left from the Inner Loop towards the HOV ramps but then bore right back to the Beltway (similar to the Outer Loop movement in my final video from yesterday). If that's accurate, can you tell why they even built that lane? It really seems to serve little or no purpose as far as I can tell, unless it's just a bailout route for people who misunderstand the signs for the HOV ramps (which I think is very unlikely!).

I did indeed come that way - entering from Va. 241/Telegraph Road.

Allow me to speculate -  I think they built that with the idea that there may be managed lanes between the Wilson Bridge and the Springfield Interchange at some point in the future.

That is exactly the reason, the Springfield Interchange Project Phase 8 included provisions for future managed lanes on the Beltway.  The inner lane of the outer loop delivers traffic to the inner lane of the outer loop downstream of the I-95 direct connection ramp, providing continuous access through the interchange area.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

Woke up at 7:00 and heard WTOP report another crash at the lanes' southern end, this one involving multiple vehicles.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

1995hoo

The lanes' website is currently listing a toll of $1.80 to drive the full length on the Inner Loop. That's significantly less than I'd expected.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Beltway on November 19, 2012, 07:11:04 AM
That is exactly the reason, the Springfield Interchange Project Phase 8 included provisions for future managed lanes on the Beltway.  The inner lane of the outer loop delivers traffic to the inner lane of the outer loop downstream of the I-95 direct connection ramp, providing continuous access through the interchange area.

Though there is nothing in the long-range or short-range plans about such a project, at least not right now.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 19, 2012, 08:46:46 AM

Though there is nothing in the long-range or short-range plans about such a project, at least not right now.

I tweeted one of your pictures to Adam Tuss and Dr. Gridlock with the comment about moving the closely-spaced skip line one lane further to the right. It's a good point. One of the things I forgot to mention yesterday is that when I came off the HOV ramps onto the Beltway (therefore in the left-most lane), there was a tractor-trailer in the lane that becomes the right lane of the Express Lanes. I wasn't able to look in the mirror to see whether he got over in a timely fashion because I was dealing with other traffic.

Meantime, I've seen Twitter comments and heard people on the radio saying they tried the lanes this morning and found it reduced their travel time substantially. No doubt the very low toll rates this morning help. I can't make the "On the Road Now" part of their website work on my phone or in Firefox, so I loaded it in Internet Explorer. It's pretty slick, it displays a map and you can click to see what the toll rate sign says at any given point by clicking the "i" icons. It shows $1.65 to run the length of the Inner Loop lanes right now.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 19, 2012, 08:59:51 AM

I tweeted one of your pictures to Adam Tuss and Dr. Gridlock with the comment about moving the closely-spaced skip line one lane further to the right. It's a good point. One of the things I forgot to mention yesterday is that when I came off the HOV ramps onto the Beltway (therefore in the left-most lane), there was a tractor-trailer in the lane that becomes the right lane of the Express Lanes. I wasn't able to look in the mirror to see whether he got over in a timely fashion because I was dealing with other traffic.

Hoo, thanks for sending that along.  I just sent those images on to my contacts on the VDOT Northern Virginia District staff as well.

Because this is about safety, I think they will find their way  to the right people at VDOT and Transurban pretty quickly.

I really hope that they can get someone out there fast and correct the the pavement markings.

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 19, 2012, 08:59:51 AM
Meantime, I've seen Twitter comments and heard people on the radio saying they tried the lanes this morning and found it reduced their travel time substantially. No doubt the very low toll rates this morning help. I can't make the "On the Road Now" part of their website work on my phone or in Firefox, so I loaded it in Internet Explorer. It's pretty slick, it displays a map and you can click to see what the toll rate sign says at any given point by clicking the "i" icons. It shows $1.65 to run the length of the Inner Loop lanes right now.

$1.65 on a Monday?

That must be the "introductory" rate! 

Heck, I think at that price, those lanes are quickly going to be as jammed-up as the conventional lanes!
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

I have to wonder if part of it is that traffic volume might be lower today since it's Thanksgiving week? Van Dorn Street was heavier than usual, but I think that was bailout traffic from I-395 since WTOP mentioned a wreck in DC and a consequent big backup.

I was really flabbergasted by the low toll rates. As best I can tell, it's never hit $2.00 this morning! That really gives the lie to the whiners who say these lanes are "for the 1%" or "Lexus Lanes" or whatever. People pay more than that one-way on the Dulles Toll Road daily, not to mention what people pay on toll bridges and such elsewhere (especially in New York).

Some clown on Dr. Gridlock's blog has been complaining that all the accidents are VDOT's fault.....just what I said on Saturday, people want to blame everyone except the drivers who don't pay attention. Even if we all agree that some improvements can be made to the markings, the bottom line is that you're still responsible for driving safely and being aware of your surroundings and where you're going, and to throw it in reverse on the Beltway or to swerve at the last minute all to save 70¢ is reprehensible. (I really don't know why I waste my time arguing with the trolls. In this case it might be that I don't have much work that has to be done this week.)

jrouse

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 17, 2012, 06:11:07 PM
Quote from: mtantillo on November 17, 2012, 12:16:20 PM
Just rode the new Express Lanes a few times.  Not many people using them, and many of the people I did see using them did not appear to have an E-ZPass mounted on their windshield.  Wondering how many days until people start getting bills for toll + $12 service charge and start complaining.  ....

The other thing I want to see is how many of the HOV crowd get busted for not having Flex devices. I've seen an awful lot of "outraged" comments from carpoolers who contend they should not be required to have a transponder and that because it's a ridiculous requirement they are not going to abide by it and will simply put their E-ZPasses in the no-read bags.

To which I say, good luck with that! I find the "outrage" especially amusing because it's been known for at least five years that the HOV-rides-free provision would be handled via switchable transponders. Plus, compare it to Miami, where as you know you have to register your carpool and you can't register an out-of-state plate. Virginia's system is far friendlier to the customer. I'm not getting a Flex. But suppose I had one and suppose our relatives from Miami or Fort Myers came to visit with their kids. Can't fit six or seven people in our cars (especially not the two-seater), but with the E-ZPass Flex I could just take the transponder with us and ride in their minivan. The Miami system doesn't allow that.

PS. BTW, Mike, I am chuffed to see that I am not the only person in this country who remembers the cent sign and knows how to type one!

The new I-110 Express Lanes in Los Angeles also require all users (including HOV) to carry a transponder, and they are issuing switchable transponders so carpoolers can travel toll free.  This requirement seems to be the most controversial part of the change, because carpoolers who could formerly use the lanes at any time now have to carry the transponder, which requires setting up a prepaid account, and it includes a $3/month service fee (not in effect yet, starts in the spring when the companion Express Lanes on I-10 open).

Beltway

It was in the plans when the Springfield Interchange Project was designed in the late 1990s, as part of Phase 8.  That ramp is there in the schematic that was published then and used throughout the project.  Phase 8 as built in the I-495 HOT Lanes Project is virtually the same as when originally conceived.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 19, 2012, 09:38:51 AM
Some clown on Dr. Gridlock's blog has been complaining that all the accidents are VDOT's fault.....just what I said on Saturday, people want to blame everyone except the drivers who don't pay attention. Even if we all agree that some improvements can be made to the markings, the bottom line is that you're still responsible for driving safely and being aware of your surroundings and where you're going, and to throw it in reverse on the Beltway or to swerve at the last minute all to save 70¢ is reprehensible.

This is absolutely correct. 

Even though there is the notion of "contributory negligence" in law (and I don't know how the Virginia appellate courts feel about that), the bottom line is this - the person behind the wheel is responsible. 

Now that may change in the coming years, as we see more in the way of driverless cars, but for now, if you drive, you need to be watching where you are going.

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 19, 2012, 09:38:51 AM
(I really don't know why I waste my time arguing with the trolls. In this case it might be that I don't have much work that has to be done this week.)

There is a well-known disorder across the Commonwealth of Virginia.  It's called "VDOT-Bashing," and has been around since the days that VDOT was known as the Virginia Department of Highways. 

Populations known to be at especially risk for this syndrome include county elected officials in densely-populated suburban counties, who resent that their subdivision streets are part of the state secondary highway network; as well as anti-highway activists and promoters of Smart Growth schemes.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Beltway on November 19, 2012, 01:40:39 PM

It was in the plans when the Springfield Interchange Project was designed in the late 1990s, as part of Phase 8.  That ramp is there in the schematic that was published then and used throughout the project.  Phase 8 as built in the I-495 HOT Lanes Project is virtually the same as when originally conceived.

Correct. 

I remember very well when it was deleted from the "original" Springfield Interchange project about 10 or 12 years ago (for reasons of cost), and recall being especially unhappy about it too, because it forced drivers in the I-95 HOV lanes to exit via the Newington flyover into the local lanes, and then slog their way through mixed traffic to get to the Inner Loop of the Capital Beltway.

1995hoo

I'm back from Potomac. I drove the length of the Express Lanes both ways for $1.65 in each direction. On the way back I went to a shop in Alexandria off Quaker Lane and then I used the new southbound HOV ramp from I-395 to the Outer Loop.

I'll have screenshot pictures later today, but a few comments:

–At the south end, the second VMS said that the left two lanes were for the Express Lanes only. Good move.

–A couple of shiny new bollards with metal black-and-yellow chevron-type markers at the entrances at both ends (similar to what you sometimes see on the end of a jersey wall). Also a good move.

–Saw two cops in each direction, both times at the toll gantry just north of the W&OD overpass and just south of the Idylwood overpass. The cops were parked and were out of their cars talking and not running radar, but I slowed down anyway (I had had my cruise control set at 65 mph so I could cruise in 6th gear).

–Regular lanes were very busy, Express Lanes were clear sailing. I really like driving in there just for the reduced traffic.

–The sign at the northern end on the Outer Loop is NOTABLY different from the southern end on the Inner Loop because the Outer Loop's left lane is "Express Lanes Only" but the second lane from the left is an option lane. On the Inner Loop, both left lanes enter.

Pictures to come. Got some calls to return first.

Edited: Here are pictures from the south end. I want to tweet these to two of the local reporters so I did this first. Others to come later.

I took the "single lane" to the left that cpzilliacus and I were discussing and the first few pictures are of that.

Now for the important part. First sign looked the same as yesterday:

Second one had something new. Good idea. They should still revise the skip lines as cpzilliacus suggested, but this is a good way to do it in the meantime.

Finally, new markers at the entrance itself:

1995hoo

Pictures from the northbound end on the way back.

I find this interesting: Unlike the Inner Loop, a new left lane forms to become one of the Express Lanes.

The next sign marks the new left lane as "EXIT ONLY" (I was surprised to see the word "EXIT," as the MUTCD seems to prefer the word "Entrance" in this context) and marks the next lane (the left lane prior to the Old Dominion Drive underpass) as an option lane.

Then the option lane splits. Hard to tell from this picture, but the third car up started into the Express Lanes and then pulled right (sigh.....).

Bad lighting at around 2 PM or so, but you can see this end has the pylons with the chevrons too.....and one of them looks damaged.

The Express Lane ramp towards Dulles is an impressive setup. Wish I'd had time to try it.

Approaching Tysons is interesting. The ramp from the Dulles Toll Road comes in from the left and the ramp from Jones Branch Drive comes in from the right at the same place. Very weird spot.

The Jones Branch Drive acceleration lane ends and the Dulles Toll Road ramp's acceleration lane becomes exit-only at the Westpark Bridge; meanwhile, the left lane is an option lane.

The video of the southbound HOV ramp from I-395 didn't turn out well due to operator error on my part. I can confirm that when you head to the Outer Loop it is a very sharp curve. I find I can often disregard the yellow advisory speed signs and take ramps a bit faster than they say–well, not in this case, at least not the first time through in my Acura sedan (in the RX-7 it might be a different story). I won't be surprised to hear of drivers getting their "Springfield Stripe" (a play on NASCAR's "Darlington Stripe") when they go too fast. Saw some traffic using the HOV ramps, not a whole lot.

And the final item of interest....I tweeted some pictures to Dr. Gridlock and he had one of his colleagues give me a call to interview me about my experience. They may or may not run a story in tomorrow's paper. I will certainly have my eyes peeled!

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: New Express Lanes cause confusion

QuoteDrivers on the Capital Beltway are finding themselves confused by the traffic patterns created with opening of the new 495 Express Lanes.

Quote"Like with any new facility or road that opens, there's going to be some driver confusion. These signs are new so people aren't used to them," said Transurban spokeswoman Pierce Coffee. Transurban is the company operating the Express Lanes.

1995hoo

Channel 4's Adam Tuss tweeted:

QuoteAccording to Express Lanes officials, they will: extend merge area and alert drivers sooner to the Express Lanes entrance

QuoteAlso this: Add new pavement markings saying "E-ZPass Only" approximately one mile and again one half mile before Express Lanes entrance

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jrouse on November 19, 2012, 09:46:05 AM
The new I-110 Express Lanes in Los Angeles also require all users (including HOV) to carry a transponder, and they are issuing switchable transponders so carpoolers can travel toll free.

The I-110 Express Lanes are still HOV-2 for car-poolers, right? 

The only HOV-3 in Southern California is I-10 ( San Bernardino Freeway) east of downtown L.A. to El Monte, right? 
Quote from: jrouse on November 19, 2012, 09:46:05 AM
This requirement seems to be the most controversial part of the change, because carpoolers who could formerly use the lanes at any time now have to carry the transponder, which requires setting up a prepaid account, and it includes a $3/month service fee (not in effect yet, starts in the spring when the companion Express Lanes on I-10 open).

I wish that someone would wake up and smell the coffee regarding such fees.  They discourage people from obtaining transponders, which is (in my opinion) incredibly stupid and short-sighted. 

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: New Beltway express lanes lead to crashes and changes

QuoteThe Capital Beltway's new lanes have been open to the public for just a few days, but it's already time for a bit of a makeover.

QuoteA spate of accidents at the entrance to the northbound 495 express lanes, all stemming from last-minute maneuvers to avoid the new lanes, has transportation authorities scrambling to make changes.

1995hoo

My comments for that article were a lot more positive about the lanes than he made them seem. I said staying to the far right if you don't want to enter is simply common sense, just like moving left a lane when someone is merging onto the highway.

I think the editors told him to quite worried drivers.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 20, 2012, 08:48:36 AM
My comments for that article were a lot more positive about the lanes than he made them seem. I said staying to the far right if you don't want to enter is simply common sense, just like moving left a lane when someone is merging onto the highway.

Hoo, is this the ghost of John Nestor, MD, come back to haunt us on the Capital Beltway?

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 20, 2012, 09:34:29 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on November 20, 2012, 08:48:36 AM

Hoo, is this the ghost of John Nestor, MD, come back to haunt us on the Capital Beltway?

I remember that guy.

The current troll is an idiot calling himself "FergusonFoont" who rails on about what he calls "Lexus Lanes" and attacks anyone who disagrees with him as being employed by Fluor and Transurban. I find it very easy to enrage him, but what I enjoy is that he keeps insisting that the left lane on the Legion Bridge forces you into the Express Lanes. It doesn't, and I've posted the photographic evidence at least four times. Doesn't seem to embarrass the guy in the least to be caught lying. I really don't know why I waste my time.

Got to sign off for a while, so I guess he'll be thrilled to think he's scared me off.

1995hoo

I just came back from a trip to Springfield. Took the HOV ramp from I-95 to the Outer Loop. It's a great new option to have, especially if you're coming from further away because it eliminates the need to exit into the mainline at Newington. It's also a great new shortcut for Franconia—Springfield Parkway traffic, as we've discussed before.

Only thing I dislike is that when you merge in with the traffic coming from the I-95 flyover, there is very little space afforded to accomplish the maneuver, and I think people understandably aren't yet used to the idea of people appearing from the left there.

Seems to me the same people who find the Beltway entrances to the Express Lanes difficult should have trouble with this spot:

The barriers blocking the Inner Loop ramp do come up a bit suddenly as you go around the curve:

Short merge area as you join the Beltway:

andrewkbrown

Aerial video of what not to do.
http://www.wusa9.com/news/article/230063/158/VIDEO-Mini-Cooper-Driver-Pulls-Major-No-No-On-Express-Lanes

Notice another car towards the end of the video clip merges back into the regular lanes, directly in front of a semi truck. Behind him, a little white SUV has its right turn signal on, about to attempt to move back to the right as well.
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

cpzilliacus

Quote from: andrewkbrown on November 20, 2012, 01:40:26 PM
Aerial video of what not to do.
http://www.wusa9.com/news/article/230063/158/VIDEO-Mini-Cooper-Driver-Pulls-Major-No-No-On-Express-Lanes

Notice another car towards the end of the video clip merges back into the regular lanes, directly in front of a semi truck. Behind him, a little white SUV has its right turn signal on, about to attempt to move back to the right as well.

Thanks for sharing.

That is (in my opinion) an example of reckless driving (Code of Virginia § 46.2-852).

Where are the blue lights of the Virginia State Police when you need them?  Sheesh!

andrewkbrown

Actually, if you look closely, there is a Virginia state trooper driving in the express lanes as the video clip begins.

And look at the number of skid marks in the left-most lane of the regular lanes.
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

roadman

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 18, 2012, 06:52:35 PM
mtantillo, 1995hoo, oscar and NJRoadfan, please look at the images below, in sequence from about the Va. 617 (Backlick Road) underpass to the beginning of the Express Lanes on the Inner Loop of I-495.  Note that the pavement markings first imply that it is the left lane (only) that becomes the restricted lane, then, as we get very close to the entrance to the Express Lanes, the markings suddenly shift to show that it is the two left lanes that become the Express Lanes.  Sorry for the blurry nature of these, but I think the point I am making is pretty clear.

I concur with the pavement marking issue.  I also see a problem with the signing, which may explain some of the driver reaction issues.  Instead of showing the pricing, the 1/2 mile lane assignment sign should have simply said Entrance - like the one at the gore point does, which you can't see really well far in advance because of the curve in the road and the fact the 'gore' sign is just at the start of the divider and not before it.  Another overhead 'Entrance" lane assignment sign a quarter mile before the split would also help matters.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.