News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Northern Virginia HOT Lanes

Started by mtantillo, August 14, 2012, 11:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: vdeane on April 02, 2013, 05:05:03 PM
I'm surprised there are buses from that far away.  My school district always contracted to Coach whenever there was a trip more than an hour long each way.  I can't imagine it's comfortable to sit in a yellow limo for eight hours.

Agreed.  Though I believe some school districts have "nicer" buses (perhaps with transmission gearing appropriate for freeway speeds) for those longer field trips.  Having grown up next to Washington, D.C., all of our field trips (usually to D.C. or to Baltimore), we had no need for anything beyond a "regular" school bus.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on April 02, 2013, 05:49:34 PM
I'm surprised there are buses from that far away.  My school district always contracted to Coach whenever there was a trip more than an hour long each way.  I can't imagine it's comfortable to sit in a yellow limo for eight hours.

It's not even comfortable for eight minutes.

Pump, I agree, though I never had to ride a bus to school (I always lived close enough to walk or I took transit one year).  So school buses for those of us who did not routinely ride a bus was something of an adventure, and fun.  The farthest we ever went was about 70 miles to the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia.

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on April 02, 2013, 05:49:34 PM
And c.p., that may be it - they may have just signed something. I couldn't really see, I just know we stopped at the booth.

I know in Virginia, the bus drivers had to sign something.  I have seen that at a few different Virginia toll facilities (but especially at Va. 267, the DTR).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

kphoger

Wow, your school must have had more money than mine.  I can specifically remember a trip of more than 120 miles in a yellow school bus.  And let me tell you, after completely stuffing yourself on Mexican food to the absolute max, it is not a good idea to ride in the back seat of a school bus.   X-(
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 02, 2013, 08:10:47 PM

Agreed.  Though I believe some school districts have "nicer" buses (perhaps with transmission gearing appropriate for freeway speeds) for those longer field trips.  Having grown up next to Washington, D.C., all of our field trips (usually to D.C. or to Baltimore), we had no need for anything beyond a "regular" school bus.

I attended Fairfax public schools (WT Woodson High) and I recall multiple high school field trips to the Richmond area (including Chester) and Winchester, all on school buses. It was not a fun way to travel. I don't remember whether field trips to Norfolk were via school bus or charter bus. I do remember the school bus driver having to stop at the I-95 toll plazas.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

Quote from: kphoger on April 02, 2013, 08:25:36 PM

Wow, your school must have had more money than mine.  I can specifically remember a trip of more than 120 miles in a yellow school bus.  And let me tell you, after completely stuffing yourself on Mexican food to the absolute max, it is not a good idea to ride in the back seat of a school bus.   X-(
Who knows.  My school district didn't actually maintain any buses, they contracted to another company to run them.  That might have changed the economics of the situation.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cpzilliacus

Transportation Nation: Why Tolls Will Be Waived On One Virginia Highway This Weekend

QuoteNearly five months after opening, the operators of the 495 Express Lanes are struggling to attract motorists to their congestion-free toll road in a region mired in some of the worst traffic congestion in the country.

QuoteTransurban, the construction conglomerate that put up $1.5 billion to build the 14-mile, EZ Pass-only corridor on the Beltway between the I-95 interchange and Dulles Toll Road, will let motorists use the highway free this weekend in a bid to win more converts.

Quote"It takes a lot of time for drivers in the area to adapt to new driving behaviors. A lot of us are kind of stuck on autopilot on our commutes. That trend might continue for a while, too,"  said Transurban spokesman Michael McGurk.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 05, 2013, 12:56:39 PM
Quote"It takes a lot of time for drivers in the area to adapt to new driving behaviors. A lot of us are kind of stuck on autopilot on our commutes. That trend might continue for a while, too,"  said Transurban spokesman Michael McGurk.

I think they mis-spelled "It takes a lot of time to convince drivers that they should pay over $2.00 to drive 14 miles when they often can drive the same distance in the same amount of time just a few lanes over for free."

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 05, 2013, 01:55:33 PM

I think they mis-spelled "It takes a lot of time to convince drivers that they should pay over $2.00 to drive 14 miles when they often can drive the same distance in the same amount of time just a few lanes over for free."

The adjacent "free" or non-managed lanes have a long history of being severely congested.  The tolled lanes have the potential to reduce travel time by as much as 20 to 30 minutes in the morning and in the afternoon.

1995hoo

As I've mentioned, the trip home from Falls Church at 4:30 PM has taken me 17 minutes via those lanes instead of 45 minutes via the old route. It CAN be well worth it. One issue they have is that they don't have any travel-time signs to give people a sense for when it is, though. (From my point of view, any trip to the mall at Tysons uses the tolled lanes due to easier access, regardless of whether the "free" lanes are moving at the same speed.)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 05, 2013, 01:59:59 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 05, 2013, 01:55:33 PM

The adjacent "free" or non-managed lanes have a long history of being severely congested.  The tolled lanes have the potential to reduce travel time by as much as 20 to 30 minutes in the morning and in the afternoon.

And what about the other 18 hours a day?

I can understand the significant time savings during the rush hours, which probably experience some good congestion for 3 hours or so in the mornings and afternoons, 5 days a week  But if traffic moves smoothly the other 75% of the time during the weekdays, and probably the majority of the weekend, what's the incentive to pay $2 or so then? 

Yes - I say 'probably', because I don't know the daily periods of true congestion in this area.  But while many people will point out the congested periods, there's generally a much larger portion of the day when congestion doesn't occur.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 05, 2013, 03:36:25 PM
And what about the other 18 hours a day?

The Capital Beltway can be congested at any time - especially during daytime hours, Monday through Sunday.  Bad weather (including light rain) can be the cause of long backups.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 05, 2013, 03:36:25 PM
I can understand the significant time savings during the rush hours, which probably experience some good congestion for 3 hours or so in the mornings and afternoons, 5 days a week  But if traffic moves smoothly the other 75% of the time during the weekdays, and probably the majority of the weekend, what's the incentive to pay $2 or so then?

Yes - I say 'probably', because I don't know the daily periods of true congestion in this area.  But while many people will point out the congested periods, there's generally a much larger portion of the day when congestion doesn't occur.

Before the great recession got going in 2008, I frequently observed congestion on this part of the Capital Beltway from before 6 A.M. to after 10 A.M. in the mornings (especially Inner Loop) and from 2 P.M. to after 8 P.M. (especially Outer Loop).

The recession has reduced traffic (and congestion) on some roads in and around D.C., but when I last looked at it before the HOV/Toll lanes opened (summer of 2012), the congestion was still terrible for long periods (and in part due to construction activity related to those HOV/Toll lanes).

As I suggested way upthread, one of the biggest problems with the HOV/Toll lanes is that they don't go across the American Legion Bridge into Maryland.  Their northern end is  at one of the most-congested segments of the entire Capital Beltway.

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: Could HOT lane construction put Va. residents at risk?

QuoteAt a rally held next to the ramp that will mark the end of the Interstate 95 Express Lanes, an Alexandria group called on the Virginia Department of Transportation to delay construction until a public health study is complete.

QuoteIn late March, the group turned over a lengthy report from environmental engineer Maureen Barrett at AERO Engineering that found the I-95 terminus ramp just north of Edsall Road would produce toxic amounts of nitrogen dioxide and PM 2.5 that will harm nearby residents.

Quote"In a haphazard and quick way, when VDOT lost the Arlington location, where the HOT Lanes were supposed to end, it looked around and picked out Turkeycock Run and decided to ended it here," says John B. Britton, attorney for the Concerned Residents of Landmark.

Quote"We're not opposed to the entire projects or HOT Lanes, we just want VDOT to evaluate changing this community by making this the terminus location. We want an open, public forum to discuss the issues."

QuoteBritton is the same attorney that Arlington County used to sue VDOT in 2009. As a result of the suit, VDOT decided to change the final location of the I-95 Express Lanes in Feb. 2011. He wouldn't comment on whether the Landmark group will also sue.

cpzilliacus

jeffandnicole

Looking at the comments from that article, there seems to be a main theme from the commenters that actually make sense: Signage Issues.  Is coming off an exit with no destination signage still an issue?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 08, 2013, 09:04:32 AM
Looking at the comments from that article, there seems to be a main theme from the commenters that actually make sense: Signage Issues.  Is coming off an exit with no destination signage still an issue?

IMO, the signage is pretty good. 

Now I am biased, because I know every interchange on the Capital Beltway pretty well (and where the crossing roads lead), but it seems to me the signs are O.K.

1995hoo

I agree. I think the signs on the Virginia portion of the Beltway are substantially improved over what was there prior to the reconstruction (the I-66 and Dulles interchanges in particular).

A lot of the people who comment on Dr. Gridlock's articles are just whiners.

I liked this comment:

QuoteSomeone just call out all these people for what they are, stupid and incompetent drivers. You can't figure out the express lanes? If you use the beltway even somewhat regularly, are you telling me you haven't seen how the lanes and exits were being constructed even once during the last 4 years. Besides that, are you blind? It's not like they built a wall between the regular lanes and the express lanes. Am I the one person that can glance to my left, from the regular lanes, to see where the express exit and entrance ramps were placed? Maybe these are the same people who need to have their driver license revoked because they shouldn't be on the roads in the first place.

1995hoo

QuoteAdam Tuss ‏@AdamTuss 2h

Va Express Lanes leaders say revenue is up. The lanes have made $3.3 million so far this year. Average workday trips are about 25k

I don't know how much they projected they'd make each year.

Edited to add: I just heard a radio report saying so far the maximum toll rate for the entire length has been $6.35. They didn't say when that was. Yesterday morning just after 8:00 it cost me $3.15 from Springfield to I-66 (would have been $4.40 to the other end). I'll write it off as a business expense, but it would have been worth it anyway. The general-purpose lanes were crawling. I did note a lot more motorcycles in the Express Lanes. Makes sense (they ride free), but it was a bit annoying since they were overly aggressive.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 11, 2013, 01:06:38 PM
Edited to add: I just heard a radio report saying so far the maximum toll rate for the entire length has been $6.35. They didn't say when that was. Yesterday morning just after 8:00 it cost me $3.15 from Springfield to I-66 (would have been $4.40 to the other end). 

Never personally seen them above $4.

If you  heard that on WTOP Radio, this is likely the text version: Drivers slow to use 495 Express Lanes

I really take issue with the statement below (emphasis added):

QuoteThe maximum toll since the lanes opened was $6.35 to travel the entire length of the express lanes from Springfield to the Maryland line. The tolls go up and down depending on congestion.

Where the 495 Express Lanes end is a long way from the  Maryland border, especially when that part of the Beltway is at its congested worst.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 11, 2013, 07:34:25 PM

I really take issue with the statement below (emphasis added):

QuoteThe maximum toll since the lanes opened was $6.35 to travel the entire length of the express lanes from Springfield to the Maryland line. The tolls go up and down depending on congestion.

Where the 495 Express Lanes end is a long way from the  Maryland border, especially when that part of the Beltway is at its congested worst.

Agreed, plus there are two very important exits between there and the Maryland line. I used that route last week, April 2 or 3, going from the courthouse in Fairfax down to the Watergate to pick up Ms1995hoo after work (I-66 to 495 Express Lanes/Beltway beyond the Express Lanes, then GW Parkway), and the stretch from the Express Lanes' end to that overpass just after VA-193 was by far the slowest part of the entire trip, although that's only because I ran the C/D road at Nutley Street after hearing on the radio that there'd been a wreck (which turned out to have all lanes blocked just before the C/D road merged back in).

Really, it seems like facts play no part in a lot of local media reporting.

You know, I look at all the whining and ignorance displayed by a lot of people regarding the Beltway's Express Lanes and I can't help but wonder how much more grousing there will be when the I-95 project opens. Some of that will be well-deserved, IMO, because they're taking existing lanes anyone can use outside rush hour (except trucks near Dumfries due to the weigh station) and making the solo drivers pay a toll. But the "segment-based" tolling is almost certain to confuse the heck out of a lot of people. I've looked at their publicity materials and they really don't explain it very well.

What they ought to do is to include a page on their website explaining how the I-95 lanes will differ from the Beltway lanes and then explaining what they mean by "segments." Something along the lines of, "On the Beltway you cannot exit back into the general-purpose lanes. The I-95 HOV facility was built with a number of ramps allowing such movements, and those will remain in place. Posted toll rates will apply up to the next such ramp back to the general-purpose lanes, and as you approach those ramps you will see the toll from there to the next such ramp. That rate might be higher or lower than the rate you locked in up to that point, and you can then decide whether to remain in the Express Lanes or to exit back to the general-purpose lanes."

That wording is probably still too complex for most people, so the ideal might be to use a map as an example.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 12, 2013, 03:43:57 PM
Agreed, plus there are two very important exits between there and the Maryland line. I used that route last week, April 2 or 3, going from the courthouse in Fairfax down to the Watergate to pick up Ms1995hoo after work (I-66 to 495 Express Lanes/Beltway beyond the Express Lanes, then GW Parkway), and the stretch from the Express Lanes' end to that overpass just after VA-193 was by far the slowest part of the entire trip, although that's only because I ran the C/D road at Nutley Street after hearing on the radio that there'd been a wreck (which turned out to have all lanes blocked just before the C/D road merged back in).

Perversely, the reason that the 495 HOV/Toll lanes end where they do (north  of Va. 267 (Dulles Toll Road)) can be squarely blamed on Maryland (and in particular on Montgomery County, Maryland), even though there are those two Virginia interchanges north of the end of those lanes, at Va. 193 (Georgetown Pike, Exit 44), and "secret" Va. 90005 (George Washington Memorial Parkway, Exit 43).  Though Virginia has engaged in similarly bad behavior recently (albeit on a smaller scale), where the relocated lanes of W.Va. 9 had to narrow down to one lane each way before reaching the Loudoun County, Va. border, in part at the insistence of Virginia environmental/Smart Growth groups.

Regarding I-66 (especially  between U.S. 50 at Fair Oaks (Exit 57) and I-495 (Exit 64), it is a very crash-prone segment of freeway.  I have seen more than one wreck there where the Vienna C-D lanes end on the eastbound side east of Va. 243 (Nutley Street, Exit 62), perhaps because the merge is "difficult" for reasons not entirely clear to me.

mtantillo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 13, 2013, 09:00:39 PM

Perversely, the reason that the 495 HOV/Toll lanes end where they do (north  of Va. 267 (Dulles Toll Road)) can be squarely blamed on Maryland (and in particular on Montgomery County, Maryland), even though there are those two Virginia interchanges north of the end of those lanes, at Va. 193 (Georgetown Pike, Exit 44), and "secret" Va. 90005 (George Washington Memorial Parkway, Exit 43).  Though Virginia has engaged in similarly bad behavior recently (albeit on a smaller scale), where the relocated lanes of W.Va. 9 had to narrow down to one lane each way before reaching the Loudoun County, Va. border, in part at the insistence of Virginia environmental/Smart Growth groups.

Regarding I-66 (especially  between U.S. 50 at Fair Oaks (Exit 57) and I-495 (Exit 64), it is a very crash-prone segment of freeway.  I have seen more than one wreck there where the Vienna C-D lanes end on the eastbound side east of Va. 243 (Nutley Street, Exit 62), perhaps because the merge is "difficult" for reasons not entirely clear to me.

Now that people from GW Parkway and VA 193 have access to the Express Lanes, I sure hope they preserve that access if the lanes are ever extended into MD. 

Is Jefferson County, WV even considered part of the Washington DC Metropolitan area?  I always thought the MPOs were tasked with coordinating these things across political boundaries within a metropolitan area, but couldn't really do much outside of a metro area.  In otherwords, although I wish VA would upgrade all of VA 9, it doesn't seem quite as eggregious as the Express Lanes' dead end south of the American Legion Bridge.  The WV 9 upgrade is really nice though, it makes getting to the Casino in Charles Town that much easier ;-)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mtantillo on April 15, 2013, 03:11:57 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 13, 2013, 09:00:39 PM

Now that people from GW Parkway and VA 193 have access to the Express Lanes, I sure hope they preserve that access if the lanes are ever extended into MD.

Especially the GWMP.  From Va. 193, it's a lot of lanes to cross in a fairly short distance to enter the HOV/Toll lanes. 

Quote from: mtantillo on April 15, 2013, 03:11:57 PM
Is Jefferson County, WV even considered part of the Washington DC Metropolitan area?  I always thought the MPOs were tasked with coordinating these things across political boundaries within a metropolitan area, but couldn't really do much outside of a metro area.  In otherwords, although I wish VA would upgrade all of VA 9, it doesn't seem quite as eggregious as the Express Lanes' dead end south of the American Legion Bridge.  The WV 9 upgrade is really nice though, it makes getting to the Casino in Charles Town that much easier ;-)

The Washington MPO model models Jefferson County, even though the county is not part of the Washington region for MPO purposes.  Jefferson County is part of the Hagerstown, Maryland MPO.

The Washington MPO model extends beyond the MPO's counties in most directions, at least one county out, sometimes 2.  It reduces the impact of external trips on the travel demand forecasting process.

cpzilliacus

Drove from Springfield to Mclean today around 11:00 A.M.

Toll was $2.05.

Saw  between 40 and 45 cars using the lanes in the southbound (Outer Loop) direction.

1995hoo

Last night on the way downtown for the Caps game I heard on the radio that there had been a serious crash in the general-purpose lanes between Route 29 and Gallows Road that had spilled over into the right lane of the Express Lanes. Anyone know any details? In particular, I'm curious to know what, if any effect, it had on the toll rates.

mtantillo

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 24, 2013, 03:51:32 PM
Last night on the way downtown for the Caps game I heard on the radio that there had been a serious crash in the general-purpose lanes between Route 29 and Gallows Road that had spilled over into the right lane of the Express Lanes. Anyone know any details? In particular, I'm curious to know what, if any effect, it had on the toll rates.

Why not look up historical toll rates for the approximate time?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.