News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Horizontal Traffic Lights

Started by Roadsguy, October 26, 2012, 07:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

The Houston and Hawaii examples are giving me some serious Japan vibes. Particularly the Hawaiian examples with the tropical environment and types of architecture.

jtespi

Does anyone know of states other than New Mexico that exclusively* use horizontal traffic signals?

I can't find a single regular installation of a vertical traffic signal in New Mexico. By that, I'm excluding special interchanges like SPUIs and CFIs (continuous flow intersections).
Those are some of the only permanent vertical traffic signals in the state. Signals installed on a wire also don't count as they are usually temporary.

I challenge you to find a single regular permanent vertical traffic signal install in New Mexico because I haven't been able to find a single one.

US 89

Quote from: jtespi on August 01, 2022, 05:36:41 AM
I challenge you to find a single regular permanent vertical traffic signal install in New Mexico because I haven't been able to find a single one.

US 64 and Apache St, Farmington
Paseo del Volcán and Unser, Rio Rancho
Menaul and Wyoming, Albuquerque (though span wire, this is a permanent installation)

They’re rare, but they’re out there.

jtespi

Quote from: US 89 on August 01, 2022, 08:39:42 AM
Menaul and Wyoming, Albuquerque (though span wire, this is a permanent installation)

They're rare, but they're out there.

Nice catch! However, I still wouldn't count Menaul and Wyoming NE because it's a wire span. We had a wire span traffic signal install in Las Cruces (Roadrunner Pkwy & Golf Club Rd) that was "permanent" for several years before it got replaced by a regular metal mast arm traffic signal.

It looks like the state/city cheaped out at US 64 and Apache St in Farmington. They could have installed at least one more mast arm for the cross street and increased visibility. Instead they went with only two mast arms at the center of the intersection and used programmable visibility signal heads. The only way they could fit all those signal heads together was to mount them vertically.

The signals at Paseo del Volcan and Unser look brand new and really nice. Some of the signal heads still have covers on them. There's also a nearby intersection, Unser and King Blvd, that has vertical traffic signals too and in the same style (painted green). Paseo del Volcan and Broadmoor has vertical traffic signals painted tan.

I wonder if the City of Rio Rancho will be installing vertical traffic signals going forward? That would mark a big shift for New Mexico away from installing exclusively horizonal traffic signals.

roadfro

Quote from: jtespi on August 02, 2022, 01:59:51 AM
Quote from: US 89 on August 01, 2022, 08:39:42 AM

They're rare, but they're out there.

Nice catch! However, I still wouldn't count Menaul and Wyoming NE because it's a wire span. We had a wire span traffic signal install in Las Cruces (Roadrunner Pkwy & Golf Club Rd) that was "permanent" for several years before it got replaced by a regular metal mast arm traffic signal.

It looks like the state/city cheaped out at US 64 and Apache St in Farmington. They could have installed at least one more mast arm for the cross street and increased visibility. Instead they went with only two mast arms at the center of the intersection and used programmable visibility signal heads. The only way they could fit all those signal heads together was to mount them vertically.

If you zoom in, you can tell the US 64 & Apache St installation doesn't use programmed visibility signal heads--the red and green signal indications appear to be using thin louvers. They probably could've gone with a monopole and achieved better signal spacing--some of the signal heads are practically on top of each other, and that's not good practice (even with the signals having louvers and serving different approaches).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

It's interesting to note in that intersection above (in Farmington) the use of side by side five section signals rather than the more conventional doghouse or in-line style. Of course, the latter is by far the most common in New Mexico (either post-mounted or overhead horizontal). Perhaps some Colorado influence; they love side by side signals there.

US 89

However, I still wouldn't count Menaul and Wyoming NE because it's a wire span. We had a wire span traffic signal install in Las Cruces (Roadrunner Pkwy & Golf Club Rd) that was "permanent" for several years before it got replaced by a regular metal mast arm traffic signal.

“Permanent” to me means “this will not disappear when the ongoing construction project is done”. Sure, that wire span will probably be replaced at some point, but it’s been there for at least 15 years. I see no reason not to count it now. And it’s not like wire spans have to be vertical, either - Texas sometimes uses horizontal signals on wire spans, which look really ugly in my opinion.

Paseo del Volcan and Broadmoor has vertical traffic signals painted tan.

That’s the first FYA I’ve ever seen in New Mexico.

jtespi

Quote from: roadfro on August 03, 2022, 02:49:02 AM
If you zoom in, you can tell the US 64 & Apache St installation doesn't use programmed visibility signal heads--the red and green signal indications appear to be using thin louvers.

Yeah, I used the term "programmable visibility" as a catch-all to include signals with louvers. In any case, the signal has purposefully restricted visibility due to the less than ideal mounting location in the intersection.

Quote from: jakeroot on August 03, 2022, 11:27:34 AM
It's interesting to note in that intersection above (in Farmington) the use of side by side five section signals rather than the more conventional doghouse or in-line style. Of course, the latter is by far the most common in New Mexico (either post-mounted or overhead horizontal). Perhaps some Colorado influence; they love side by side signals there.

Oh yea, I didn't notice that signal until you pointed it out. In New Mexico, we usually use in-line signals since >98% of our signals are horizontal.

Quote from: US 89 on August 03, 2022, 11:51:32 AM
Paseo del Volcan and Broadmoor has vertical traffic signals painted tan.
That's the first FYA I've ever seen in New Mexico.

We've had a FYA in Las Cruces at Lohman Ave and Nacho Dr since at least 2017. That's probably one of the earliest uses in the state.
Also, it's odd that Paseo del Volcan at Broadmoor has a 5-section signal (with a right turn arrow) only for the westbound direction. The only other 5-section signals are for left turning traffic in the intersection.

David Jr.

I'm guessing that this is due to road work in the area, but there are 2 intersections along Perkins Road in Stillwater, OK that have horizontal traffic lights.  Here's the one at Perkins Road and McElroy Road in Stillwater:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1302955,-97.0515024,3a,75y,2.32h,84.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9y9Zmqcik33_HB6HqhCRxA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Scott5114

Quote from: David Jr. on November 13, 2022, 03:53:34 PM
I'm guessing that this is due to road work in the area, but there are 2 intersections along Perkins Road in Stillwater, OK that have horizontal traffic lights.  Here's the one at Perkins Road and McElroy Road in Stillwater:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1302955,-97.0515024,3a,75y,2.32h,84.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9y9Zmqcik33_HB6HqhCRxA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Probably so, but there are some cities in Oklahoma that do the horizontal stoplight thing. Most of them are close to the Texas border, but you can even find parts of the OKC metro with horizontal lights (like downtown and the entire suburb of Mustang).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.