News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate Highways better known by their State Route Number?

Started by kernals12, April 13, 2021, 07:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

Since 1974, most of the beltway surrounding Boston has been designated as either I-95 or I-93. But we still refer to it using that famous 3 digit number it was bestowed when it was first opened in 1951: 128. We even refer to the part east of Canton that officially lost the 128 designation in 1997 as 128. That designation was immortalized in the 80s by Governor Michael Dukakis who advertised it as "America's Technology Highway", a rival to Silicon Valley. Are there any other interstates that are more commonly referred to by their state route number?

Max Rockatansky

oscar

Interstate H-201 is sometimes referred to by its former state route number Hawaii 78, though more often by its name Moanalua Freeway, since Hawaiians prefer route names to route numbers.

This goes double for the unsigned Interstates of Alaska, another state that doesn't pay much attention to route numbers of any kind.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kernals12

128 is also unique among freeways of its type in that hardly anyone refers to it by its name: Yankee Division Highway.

SkyPesos

Since all interstates in Ohio are internally logged as state route numbers and I hear a lot of people calling them just by the number (without the 'I-' in front of it), I guess all of them :)

For interstate highways that are better known by the US route number, US 40 (I-64) in St Louis comes to mind.

webny99

kenarmy

Although MS 15 no longer overlaps with I-110, I know people that still call it that.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jmacswimmer

I wonder if anyone ever refers to I-370 as MD 200 following the completion of the ICC.

(I personally think it would make more sense to have one uniform number, whether 200 or 370, instead of the current change at the Shady Grove Metro interchange, but that's neither here nor there.)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

1995hoo

Quote from: jmacswimmer on April 13, 2021, 11:14:02 AM
I wonder if anyone ever refers to I-370 as MD 200 following the completion of the ICC.

(I personally think it would make more sense to have one uniform number, whether 200 or 370, instead of the current change at the Shady Grove Metro interchange, but that's neither here nor there.)

I can't say as I've ever heard many people refer to MD-200 at all. Everyone I've ever heard referring to it calls it "the ICC" (or, if clarification is needed, "the Intercounty Connector").
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

In NJ when I lived there called I-80 and ai-287 as Route 80 or Route 287.   That is why NJ is one that don't like duplicate route numbers despite designations like Florida or Texas does.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

I think there's some technicality which makes the Creek Turnpike an unnumbered Interstate, which would mean it is better known by what's actually signed, SH-364 (although I think everyone still calls it the Creek Turnpike). bugo would know better than me.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Konza

I-290 in the northwest Chicago suburbs where it is multiplexed with Illinois 53.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

GaryV

Even before the number was hidden, I'm sure US-131* was more popular than I-296.

* I know, it's not a "State" number.  But it's the same concept.

bzakharin

I-76 is known as the 42 freeway in New Jersey even though NJ 42 never extended that far north

Ricw24

sprjus4

While US-64 outside of Raleigh was recently designated as I-87 a few years ago, it's still commonly referred to as either US-64 / I-87 or solely US-64.

JoePCool14

I've heard people incorrectly refer to I-88 as "I-5" as the route used to be IL-5.

IL-53 and I-290 is a perfect example in Chicagoland, as previously mentioned.

I-794 and WI-794, does that count?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

skluth

It's a US number, but US 40 became I-64 a couple decades ago and almost nobody local refers to it as I-64. It wouldn't be half as annoying if the older locals also didn't pronounce it "Highway Farty." Yes, they also pronounce the similarly-numbered interstate "farty-far." The local accent also puts an "r" in wash to make it "warsh." Two local speech habits I'm glad I never acquired in 30 years living there.

bing101

CA-110 and CA-210 are well referenced but that's due to half of their route also having an interstate designation. This is how "The 210 freeway" , "The 110" in LA has no highway designation in its name.

Bickendan

Possibly the only one in Oregon would be I-105 because of OR 126's overlap and extension into Sprinfield.
But I suspect local vernacular would be 105 for Eugene, 126 for Springfield.

SkyPesos

Quote from: skluth on April 15, 2021, 08:29:37 PM
It's a US number, but US 40 became I-64 a couple decades ago and almost nobody local refers to it as I-64. It wouldn't be half as annoying if the older locals also didn't pronounce it "Highway Farty." Yes, they also pronounce the similarly-numbered interstate "farty-far." The local accent also puts an "r" in wash to make it "warsh." Two local speech habits I'm glad I never acquired in 30 years living there.
I heard someone calling a highway in St Louis "˜I-40' once, and didn't know if it was an error for US 40 or I-44 without context, but it was for US 40. I call it both ways, but been seeing myself say "˜I-64' more than "˜US 40' or "˜40/61' on the multiplexed section lately.

Henry

Quote from: oscar on April 13, 2021, 07:52:11 AM
This goes double for the unsigned Interstates of Alaska, another state that doesn't pay much attention to route numbers of any kind.
And even though it's a territory, the same goes for Puerto Rico.

Quote from: GaryV on April 13, 2021, 04:33:58 PM
Even before the number was hidden, I'm sure US-131* was more popular than I-296.

The quintessential example of this is I-595 on the US 50 freeway east of DC. Then again, this has to be true of every freeway that has an unsigned Interstate designation.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

SkyPesos

Quote from: Henry on April 16, 2021, 08:04:09 PM
Quote from: oscar on April 13, 2021, 07:52:11 AM
And even though it's a territory, the same goes for Puerto Rico.

Quote from: GaryV on April 13, 2021, 04:33:58 PM

The quintessential example of this is I-595 on the US 50 freeway east of DC. Then again, this has to be true of every freeway that has an unsigned Interstate designation.
I've seen official documents and maps call the short section of US 75 in downtown Dallas as I-345 even though it's unsigned, though not sure if people in Dallas generally call it I-345 over US 75.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.