AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Formulanone's Flickr Fotomat  (Read 40910 times)

formulanone

• latest clinch

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:14:36 PM
Re: FormulaNone's photos
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2017, 05:48:12 PM »

Great photos....do you crop your pics that are on here? Or add filters?

I try to avoid cropping more than 15-20% of the photo, but there's a few "close-ups" that just seemed interesting to me. I also try to stabilize the angle of the shot. I push color curves and levels, play with hues, sometimes try to clean up color noise.

I use a polarizer filter in most cases, to remove glare. It's not necessary at night, since it would make the shots even darker.

However, it's undesirable to use a polarizer for shots from an airplane window or a car's tinted windows; it cases a Moiré effect and/or color distortion:

Delta N663DN - With Polarizer by formulanone, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 12:29:52 PM by formulanone »

Mergingtraffic

• Last Login: March 12, 2024, 03:26:46 PM
    • My Flickr alias: MergingTraffic
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2017, 06:35:22 PM »

I try to avoid cropping more than 15-20% of the photo, but there's a few "close-ups" that just seemed interesting to me. I also try to stabilize the angle of the shot. I push color curves and levels, play with hues, sometimes try to clean up color noise.

I use a polarizer filter in most cases, to remove glare. It's not necessary at night, since it would make the shots even darker.

It's also undesirable in the shots from an airplane window or tinted windows; it cases a Moiré effect and/or color distortion.

I was guessing you cropped the Florida I-95 mileage distance button copy sign.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

formulanone

• latest clinch

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2017, 07:35:46 PM »

It's also undesirable in the shots from an airplane window or tinted windows; it cases a Moiré effect and/or color distortion.

I was guessing you cropped the Florida I-95 mileage distance button copy sign.

Actually, I took a photo of my driver's side mirror, cropped that, and reversed it.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 12:33:04 PM by formulanone »

AsphaltPlanet

• Bagel Technician - H&H Bagel

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 06:27:06 PM
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2017, 10:16:53 PM »

^ What kind of experience have you had with a polarizing filter?  I have read on the internet, that for the best results with a polarizing filter should be adjusted based on the varying light levels of the day.  Do you just leave the same filter on your lens all the time, or do you make adjustments throughout the day?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 10:20:46 PM by AsphaltPlanet »
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

formulanone

• latest clinch

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2017, 10:24:42 PM »

^ What kind of experience have you had with a polarizing filter?  I have read on the internet, that for the best results with a polarizing filter should be adjusted based on the varying light levels of the day.  Do you just leave the same filter on your lens all the time?

If it's anything other than midday, you pretty much have to rotate it when you change direction. It also depends on how harsh the light is, or the angle of the sun. Sometimes you need to move it about an equal number of degrees as you've turned the vehicle. Other times, half as many degrees for each turn. It varies. And there's times I mess it all up and you have 100-200 photos which were too dark or still had too much glare, although an SLR will essentially give you the WYSIWYG effect unless you ignore over/under-exposure warnings.

You might not need one if you're directly opposite from a setting/rising sun, or if it's very cloudy.

Obviously, this isn't practical on a winding road, but about a quarter-turn for each 90 degrees of directional change does the trick. It's tempting to totally darken the skies, but at the expense of losing most detail below the horizon. It's also possible to darken the skies so much that glare on the bottom-third of the windshield re-appears, so you have to find a happy medium.

There's also the annoyance of too much brightwork on automotive interior trim; I sometimes wonder if a few interior automotive designers have actually driven a car on a sunny day before.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 10:28:54 PM by formulanone »

AsphaltPlanet

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2017, 10:29:57 PM »

^ Interesting, thanks for the information.

I use a haze filter on my camera, which does offer a small amount of polarization, but not so much that it needs to be adjusted depending upon the direction of the sun.

I also use a black towel on the front of my dash which helps to correct a lot of (though admittedly not all) of the reflections from the interior of the car.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

formulanone

• latest clinch

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2017, 10:42:17 PM »

^ Interesting, thanks for the information.

I use a haze filter on my camera, which does offer a small amount of polarization, but not so much that it needs to be adjusted depending upon the direction of the sun.

One other thing about a circular polarizer, is that it usually seems to underexpose by about 1 to 1 1/3, roughly the equivalent of a single increase ISO sensitivity level...from 100 to 200, or 400 to 800. You don't really have to do this when standing still, because you just need to compensate by standing (or setting the camera) that much more still, but to preserve shutter speed in a moving vehicle, it's necessary or a lot of post-poduction finger crossing is needed.

AsphaltPlanet

« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2017, 10:44:49 PM »

Do you shoot in raw, or in jpeg?  In the digital era I've always read that a photographer should expose the highlights and then recover the shadows.  While I agree with that advice in principle, I find that I take too many photos to shoot raw as I'll fill up my memory cards way too quickly.

formulanone

• latest clinch

« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2017, 10:51:14 PM »

Do you shoot in raw, or in jpeg?  In the digital era I've always read that a photographer should expose the highlights and then recover the shadows.  While I agree with that advice in principle, I find that I take too many photos to shoot raw as I'll fill up my memory cards way too quickly.

Same here.

And to be honest, I can't say I've really made the photos look any better in RAW with post-production improvements, possibly since I'm using a lower-end DSLR (or, perhaps that I don't know what I'm really doing). At roughly 10-15MB per shot, that fills up too quickly for general photography on the measure of 50,000 shots a year. I will make exceptions for family photography for special events, but usually, that's maybe twice a year. The rest are just grab the camera and go, because that's the pace of life, and kids just do their thing right now and probably not later.

I understand that in some circles, shooting JPEG-only is a venial sin on the level of buying puppies from breeders instead of shelters, but we're not all prefect.  :paranoid:

Also, there's some times I'll actually de-contrast shots...prime examples are when there's already too much direct sunlight late the day; guide signs with major reflectivity do some strange things in those conditions. Cameras sometimes tend to pick a focus point and over-do it at times. Or I'd left the wrong setting(s) on after shooting at night or from a plane.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 10:55:52 PM by formulanone »

formulanone

• latest clinch

Re: My photos
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2018, 09:06:16 PM »

formulanone

• latest clinch

Re: My photos
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2020, 06:54:47 PM »

I forget to update this thread...

Usually I batch out 50-100 at a time, but here's 470 photos of South Dakota, Wyoming, and Nebraska from this January.

Mostly road photos, a few others of the Black Hills Region.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/formulanone/shares/3a59o3

formulanone

• latest clinch

Re: Formulanone's Flickr Fotomat
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2020, 10:00:08 PM »

298 road photos from February in Wisconsin: Appleton, Green Bay, Fond du Lac, New Holstein, and more. Two bonus plane photos at ATW airport, so it's an even 300!

> https://www.flickr.com/photos/formulanone/shares/z9E73n

« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 10:03:51 PM by formulanone »

formulanone

• latest clinch

« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2020, 11:44:22 AM »

528 photos to and from home and Cairo, Illinois...through Mississippi, Tennessee, and Kentucky, featuring daily jaunts to Sikeston and Paducah.

> https://www.flickr.com/photos/formulanone/shares/k172H0

Cairo has lots of old and decaying stuff, Superman wears a mask, loads of bridges, and lots of roads and signs for you pleasure.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 12:07:50 PM by formulanone »

formulanone

• latest clinch

« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2021, 12:11:18 PM »

Here's 444 Florida Gulf Coast area photos!

This includes Tampa, Saint Pete, Wesley Chapel, Land 'O Lakes, Spring Hill, Nature Coast, Perry, Tallahassee, and a few from Lakeland. Finished a lot of clinches (yay, it took me 30 years to complete US 27 in Florida) and some places I haven't seen in over 25 years.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/formulanone/shares/rDnm3e > Find the dinosaur for bonus points!

formulanone

• latest clinch

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2022, 04:58:46 PM »

182 photos from the eastern and central parts of South Dakota:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/formulanone/shares/hn0Jc5

« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 05:01:45 PM by formulanone »

formulanone

• latest clinch

« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2022, 03:10:12 PM »

What's new this month?

66 photos from a trip from O'Hare to Madison, up to Baraboo, and back to the airport. Includes six shots of that ancient concrete sign for Wis 33 and US 12 (then Wis 12) in Baraboo.

> https://www.flickr.com/photos/formulanone/shares/K2kKwa

53 photos from around the Laurel, Maryland; including Columbia, and some shots around Baltimore.

> https://www.flickr.com/photos/formulanone/shares/7xt04a

130 late-autumn photos from Huntsville to Tuscaloosa, taking the long way there and back. Popped into Columbus, Mississippi to say hi to US 82.

> https://www.flickr.com/photos/formulanone/shares/9m5p49

Finally some 83 photos from November 2017; two trips to Winston-Salem, once flying into GSO and the other week into RDU. Hope you don't mind a few airplane photos, but there's a rare Antonov in there.

> https://www.flickr.com/photos/formulanone/shares/p6fJK2
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 03:13:33 PM by formulanone »

formulanone

• latest clinch

« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2022, 11:02:33 AM »

Most recent updates:

90 photos of I-70 in Colorado from E-470 to CO 9, with a little diversion on US 6 to claim a county...

106 photos in August from Portland to Rockland, Maine.

Later in October/November, I visited the other famous Portland in Oregon. It rained a lot so I didn't get as much exploring in as I'd hoped. But there's a mix of 175 photos from Portland to Hillsboro with a few dozen of the Rockies from my airplane window...until it got cloudy again...

« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 11:06:45 AM by formulanone »

paulthemapguy

• nobody asked me

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:49:08 AM
    • Paul Across America
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2022, 07:13:08 PM »

From Portland to Portland!  I love it.  Thanks for sharing, you take the best road photos.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now w/Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

formulanone

• latest clinch

« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2022, 09:18:51 PM »

From Portland to Portland!  I love it.  Thanks for sharing, you take the best road photos.

Thanks, I appreciate the remarks!

formulanone

• latest clinch

« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2023, 07:56:17 PM »

What's new over the last few months?

83 Photos from Rapid City, poking into Wyoming and Montana for a moment.
Visited one of the center-points of the US, but also mired in December storms. Wound up getting a flight back to Memphis and visiting a shoe tree on the way home..

Philadelphia to the NE suburbs, then Lehigh Valley to Scranton
Two different trips back in January, thanks to some rather mild weather.

140 from the Detroit area and suburbs
Spent three weeks between Ferndale and Farmington Hills but picked up lots of mileage throughout Wayne County...

Just a few photos from Louisiana and Mississippi.
Didn't get out that much with my camera...

DC and Maryland
Remind me never to commute from DC to the northern Baltimore suburbs at 5pm in the rain...

Some more shots around Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, and Miami Beach
Yeah, another couple of visits to shake off the cold weather...nothing new for me, but shared a few interesting shots.

Lastly, a bunch from 2014 that I thought were lost (put one folder mistakenly in another), which features a lot of button copy on I-405, I-605, in the LA area

Remember all the road shots are licensed Creative Commons, as per the info on each shot in Flickr. Just let me know where you want to re-post them. :D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 08:12:42 PM by formulanone »

formulanone

• latest clinch

« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2023, 03:34:59 PM »

Been a while and have some updates...lots of time in California last year.

San Diego and Carlsbad/Oceanside et al - January 2022
Toured Old US Route 101 from San Diego up and down to Oceanside, California. CA 76, CA 78, with some sections of I-15 and I-5.

Los Angeles stuff, mostly near Encino.

San Jose bits and pieces; CA85 and CA87 and lots of button copy

« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 10:03:53 PM by formulanone »

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.