News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-70 Surveying?

Started by ET21, December 07, 2016, 11:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET21

IDOT released this today, from Travel Midwest:

"The Illinois Department of Transportation announces that survey crews will be working along the I-70 corridor, from the north tri-level in Effingham to east of the Montrose exit, for the next four weeks.

These crews are preparing for an aerial flight survey by laying survey panels along the corridor, including private property. The panels are four-foot squares made of black burlap, with a white cross in the middle and must be left in place until the survey is completed.

Crews will remove the panels when the survey is complete."

Is there any long-term plans for that segment of I-70 for these panels to be placed?
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

FLRoads

Quote from: ET21 on December 07, 2016, 11:15:12 PM

"The Illinois Department of Transportation announces that survey crews will be working along the I-70 corridor, from the north tri-level in Effingham to east of the Montrose exit, for the next four weeks.

These crews are preparing for an aerial flight survey by laying survey panels along the corridor, including private property. The panels are four-foot squares made of black burlap, with a white cross in the middle and must be left in place until the survey is completed.

Is there any long-term plans for that segment of I-70 for these panels to be placed?

The survey crews are more than likely placing them for an aerial photography company (or a contractor thereof) to fly for updated aerial images for Effingham County. Counties tend to have their terrain flown every so often (ranging from every year to every couple of years) to get updated aerials for their property assessor (appraiser) websites as well as for use in other County departments. All the black squares do is accentuate the existing survey control points in the ground, so the survey personnel in the plane can easily see, calculate and record the horizontal and vertical positions of those control points.

ET21

Quote from: flaroads on December 09, 2016, 05:43:16 PM

The survey crews are more than likely placing them for an aerial photography company (or a contractor thereof) to fly for updated aerial images for Effingham County. Counties tend to have their terrain flown every so often (ranging from every year to every couple of years) to get updated aerials for their property assessor (appraiser) websites as well as for use in other County departments. All the black squares do is accentuate the existing survey control points in the ground, so the survey personnel in the plane can easily see, calculate and record the horizontal and vertical positions of those control points.

Ahh ok. Would this also make it onto the satellite imagery for other applications like Google Maps once approved?
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

FLRoads

Quote from: ET21 on December 09, 2016, 06:21:47 PM
Quote from: flaroads on December 09, 2016, 05:43:16 PM

Ahh ok. Would this also make it onto the satellite imagery for other applications like Google Maps once approved?

Yes, it could definitely be used for applications like Google and Bing maps.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.