News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-67: TN, KY, IN

Started by mukade, October 25, 2011, 06:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 03, 2018, 03:26:32 PM
The gap at Napier Road looks like it could be filled in just fine going north through the fields then curving to the east to get around some houses and properties then straight into I-196.

That was the original plan until those fields were found to contain a rare species of butterfly or something like that.  The last 30 years or so have been spent trying to find and fund an alternative.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Flint1979

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 03, 2018, 03:29:14 PM
The gap at Napier Road looks like it could be filled in just fine going north through the fields then curving to the east to get around some houses and properties then straight into I-196.

That was the original plan until those fields were found to contain a rare species of butterfly or something like that.  The last 30 years or so have been spent trying to find and fund an alternative.
They'll figure out how to never get that gap complete, just leave it to MDOT to come up with a stupid reason not to do something.

theline

Quote from: bmeiser on May 03, 2018, 11:31:56 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on May 03, 2018, 09:04:03 AM
Quote from: sparker on May 03, 2018, 05:04:40 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 03, 2018, 01:33:37 AM
Has the bypass around Kokomo been completed yet? If so wouldn't that make US-31 a full freeway between Benton Harbor and I-465? I have never used US-31 between South Bend and Indy. I was looking at the gap between Napier and I-196 thinking that could easily become I-67 if that number ever got used. I think between Grand Rapids and Indy is the best case for an I-67.

There are 3 separate portions of US 31 between Indianapolis and the MI state line that are full freeway (if not fully Interstate-grade):  I-465 to IN 38, the Kokomo bypass, and US 30 to the state line (which requires a loop TOTSO NB and a single-lane ramp SB from the US 20 freeway south of South Bend).  The remainder is expressway or conventional 4-lane divided rural highway; quite a bit would need to be upgraded to achieve Interstate status.

Once in MI, there's the Napier gap between the north end of the US 31 freeway and I-94 at or near the I-196 junction.  A direct-feed (north US 31 to north I-196 and vice-versa) interchange was originally planned, but that ran afoul of environmental concerns regarding a waterway just south of the present 94/196 interchange.  The most recent plans call for the US 31 freeway to be curved west from its original alignment to intersect I-94 at the Biz 94 interchange east of Benton Harbor (the interchange immediately west of the I-196 divergence); a full cloverleaf with C/D lanes on I-94 is planned. 

To expand a bit on the Indiana segments.  The segment between US 30 at Plymouth and US 24 at Peru doesn't really get enough traffic to justify the expense of upgrading to full freeway.  The only real reason to do it would be to get an interstate designation.  The segment between US 24 at Peru and US 35 at Kokomo and the segment between IN 26 at Kokomo and IN 38 at Noblesville get enough traffic and have several stoplights so they could warrant upgrading.

And really once you get north of the truck stop just north of 24, there really aren't many stoplights or drives between there and 30.  I believe that segment was upgraded 30ish years ago, bypassing Rochester and some smaller towns to the north.  It's a pretty easy drive.  I would love for the rest of 31 between Indy and 24 to be upgraded, though.  Especially between Kokomo and Indy.  The few remaining lights and the RxR crossing are getting dangerous with people coming off of the new segments at higher speeds.

I'd agree that upgrading the portion between US-24 and US-30 isn't currently justified, though these factors will pressure INDOT to upgrade to a full freeway eventually:

• There's a strong political will in north central Indiana to have full freeway access to Indianapolis and downstate politicians have supported it as a long-term goal. Unlike in many areas, folks aren't clamoring for an interstate designation, but they do want a freeway. (The interstate jones may be satisfied by the ITR.) Once I-69 is finished between Evansville and Indy, the heat may be turned up further. "It's our turn now."
  • Although there is not a huge volume of cross traffic, what traffic there is represents some serious safety hazards. Drivers used to going 70 or so on the freeway portions of 31 aren't inclined to slow down much on the non-freeway part (speed limit 60). It seems that speeds have creeped up on the non-freeway portions since the new freeway sections have opened. Inevitably, there will be nasty accidents that will fuel the call for the upgrade.
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 03, 2018, 03:40:05 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on May 03, 2018, 03:29:14 PM

They'll figure out how to never get that gap complete, just leave it to MDOT to come up with a stupid reason not to do something.
I'm sure it was reported in some thread that I can't find right now that the connection to I-94 at Business 94 was officially selected as THE route. Of course the only trick now is finding the money, which has proven so difficult so often for MDOT.

silverback1065

Quote from: bmeiser on May 03, 2018, 11:31:56 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on May 03, 2018, 09:04:03 AM
Quote from: sparker on May 03, 2018, 05:04:40 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 03, 2018, 01:33:37 AM
Has the bypass around Kokomo been completed yet? If so wouldn't that make US-31 a full freeway between Benton Harbor and I-465? I have never used US-31 between South Bend and Indy. I was looking at the gap between Napier and I-196 thinking that could easily become I-67 if that number ever got used. I think between Grand Rapids and Indy is the best case for an I-67.

There are 3 separate portions of US 31 between Indianapolis and the MI state line that are full freeway (if not fully Interstate-grade):  I-465 to IN 38, the Kokomo bypass, and US 30 to the state line (which requires a loop TOTSO NB and a single-lane ramp SB from the US 20 freeway south of South Bend).  The remainder is expressway or conventional 4-lane divided rural highway; quite a bit would need to be upgraded to achieve Interstate status.

Once in MI, there's the Napier gap between the north end of the US 31 freeway and I-94 at or near the I-196 junction.  A direct-feed (north US 31 to north I-196 and vice-versa) interchange was originally planned, but that ran afoul of environmental concerns regarding a waterway just south of the present 94/196 interchange.  The most recent plans call for the US 31 freeway to be curved west from its original alignment to intersect I-94 at the Biz 94 interchange east of Benton Harbor (the interchange immediately west of the I-196 divergence); a full cloverleaf with C/D lanes on I-94 is planned. 

To expand a bit on the Indiana segments.  The segment between US 30 at Plymouth and US 24 at Peru doesn't really get enough traffic to justify the expense of upgrading to full freeway.  The only real reason to do it would be to get an interstate designation.  The segment between US 24 at Peru and US 35 at Kokomo and the segment between IN 26 at Kokomo and IN 38 at Noblesville get enough traffic and have several stoplights so they could warrant upgrading.

And really once you get north of the truck stop just north of 24, there really aren't many stoplights or drives between there and 30.  I believe that segment was upgraded 30ish years ago, bypassing Rochester and some smaller towns to the north.  It's a pretty easy drive.  I would love for the rest of 31 between Indy and 24 to be upgraded, though.  Especially between Kokomo and Indy.  The few remaining lights and the RxR crossing are getting dangerous with people coming off of the new segments at higher speeds.

that RR xing near division road will be removed soon, they are currently designing a bridge to replace the at grade xing. 

Captain Jack

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on May 02, 2018, 01:24:04 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 23, 2017, 03:46:10 PM
I think we can forget about an Interstate 67 being built anytime soon, if ever.

People can't be satisfied to leave well enough alone.  (Paywall alert)
http://www.messenger-inquirer.com/news/local/hope-still-remains-for-i--project/article_9d99f641-819c-5210-a670-b28b9722aa12.html

The gist is this: Dubois and Spencer counties, plus the cities of Huntingburg and Jasper, are ponying up half the cost of a highway feasibility study (the rest of the $3.5 million will come from unnamed area companies), thanks to a new Indiana law passed in 2017 that allows local development authorities to qualify for federal highway funds.

And of course Owensboro, which is getting an Interstate (I-165) thanks to the conversion of the Natcher Parkway, wants in.

"Owensboro's not on the beaten path," said Mayor McCheese Tom Watson, a man apparently oblivious to the fact that I-165 is coming. "Our four-lane highway is the Ohio River, and it's been that way for years. But that won't cut it much longer if you're trying to make the city a destination and a distribution point for companies. If you want those visitors and you want those jobs, you need an interstate."

I can see upgrading 231 in Dubois and Martin counties (yes, bypass Jasper and H'burg), and 50 from Loogootee to Washington as a connector, but drop the Interstate idea. There are better ways to spend a buck.

But what do I know?

Owensboro needs to look no farther than Huntsville. A much larger city that is prospering just fine with only one 3-di connecting its city to mainline I-65, about 20 miles away. Owensboro is on track to get two of these. As someone else suggested, if they want to get both of these combined into a single, I-63, linking Evansville with Bowling Green, then fine..although I really don't see where that would be any more beneficial than the two 3-di's that are planned. Either way, stop it there.

From the Indiana side, I can't see a whole lot of thirst to do anything other than improve US 231 to four lane. When that is completed, it would still have considerably less traffic than other grade level, four lane routes in Indiana. I can think of at least three upgrades INDOT would be more interested in before ever considering building an interstate to link Loogootee to Owensboro;

US 31 between Indianapolis and South Bend. I-67 south of Indy does not need to happen for this.
US 41 between Evansville, Terre Haute and Chicago. Linking much larger cities, and providing traffic relief to I-65 between Chicago and Nashville.
US 30 between Chicago and Ft. Wayne. Again, much larger cities and traffic counts.

I would even think some type of upgrade on US 27 south of Ft Wayne down through eastern Indiana would be more beneficial, giving Richmond, Muncie and Ft. Wayne good access to Cincinnati and points south.

IMO, Owensboro would be much better served by taking the two 3-di's, and start to actually work with Evansville and Henderson on regional development. The city leaders have a long history of treating both Evansville and Henderson as competitors and working against them than ever as a regional partner. I think it is the actions of their leaders, rather than interstate numbers that make them appear isolated.

sparker

Making a direct comparison between Huntsville, AL and Owensboro might not be valid -- Huntsville is a growing city bolstered by the aerospace and electronics industries; it's was growing prior to the 1968 commissioning of I-565.  Owensboro, OTOH, is a classic "rust belt" story; its major industry, the GE assembly plant, closed down in 1986; it's been a bit of a struggle for the town ever since.  So there's a bit of a deperate cry for help going on here; whether we forum members think that there's a case for Interstate-related economic enhancement or not, it's apparent some parties in Owensboro think precisely that.  So whether the situation produces two discrete 3di's, or the composite Natcher/Audubon corridor is combined into a single 2di, some signage effort is going to happen in the not-too-distant future.  To that end, IMO, I'd let them make a case for whatever option they select -- at least it would give them the opportunity to actually participate in the decisions that affect them -- which may help to put to rest the "pie-in-the-sky" plans like an I-67 into southern Indiana that will likely not come to fruition.  They have the corridors; they may as well have the chance to optimize them as far as designation is concerned.

andy

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on May 02, 2018, 01:24:04 PM

I can see upgrading 231 in Dubois and Martin counties (yes, bypass Jasper and H'burg), and 50 from Loogootee to Washington as a connector, but drop the Interstate idea. There are better ways to spend a buck.

But what do I know?

Quote from: Captain Jack on May 06, 2018, 12:07:40 PM
From the Indiana side, I can't see a whole lot of thirst to do anything other than improve US 231 to four lane. When that is completed, it would still have considerably less traffic than other grade level, four lane routes in Indiana. I can think of at least three upgrades INDOT would be more interested in before ever considering building an interstate to link Loogootee to Owensboro;

First, I'll agree the I67 discussion is too much.

I'll agree Huntingburg and Jasper need to be bypassed, and this does not need to be "I67".

The more debatable point, since it is local to me, is what happens north of Jasper. I'm sure Jasper residents would like an improved connection to I69, but should it swerve towards US41 (Vincennes/points north), or more directly towards Indianapolis?
If US41 is the objective, this would suggest a western Jasper bypass, add some miles to the route to Indianapolis and likely require new terrain road across SE Davies Co.
If US41 is not an objective, a more direct route improving US231 should be proposed.
Personally, I'm too close to have an unbiased view, but I've never really seen a good comparison between the two objectives.

Being local to the area, I know folks in Bloomington would consider US231/Natcher for points south of Bowling Green KY if US231 were improved. But the connector between Jasper and Washington would not tempt them to drive through Owensboro over Evansville.

Life in Paradise

Although the terrain is more difficult, I have always thought about swinging a four lane connector from Jasper NE and bypassing French Lick and Paoli, and then attaching to IN-37 and heading north to hook into the four lane at Mitchell and then with I-69.  I'm not stating interstate type road, but 4 lane.  (If they wanted to do an interstate to Jasper, that's fine, just pull out the used I-164 signs they took down at Evansville).  The 4 lane would give the Dubois County area a connector to Indianapolis and Bloomington (they are mostly IU fans there), help to open up the northern side of the Patoka Lake area, give additional access to the French Lick/West Baden Springs/Paoli entertainment area from the south as well as from the north.  This would complete one middle area corridor in Southern Indiana.  Leaving the US 50 corridor in Southern Indiana, the US-27/IN-101 corridor in Eastern Indiana, and US-231 in Central Indiana as potential 4 lane corridors.  (Yep, I made some of those up)

The Ghostbuster

How about we move discussion of Interstate 67 to Fictional Highways (I think that is the only place that the Interstate 67 designation will see the light of day anyway)?

silverback1065

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 14, 2018, 06:48:48 PM
How about we move discussion of Interstate 67 to Fictional Highways (I think that is the only place that the Interstate 67 designation will see the light of day anyway)?

I agree, I don't see how this is even getting serious attention, I don't even think INDOT cares.  they're to busy with 69, 31, 65, and the north split. 

Henry

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 15, 2018, 07:34:07 AM

I agree, I don't see how this is even getting serious attention, I don't even think INDOT cares.  they're to busy with 69, 31, 65, and the north split. 
Although the US 31 corridor is the most logical choice for I-67, and I've proposed it as such in the past...however, I do agree that we'll most likely never see it in our lifetimes (well, those over 40 anyway).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Interstate 69 Fan

It's an actual proposed highway by INDOT... that's why it's here.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on May 15, 2018, 09:50:01 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on May 15, 2018, 07:34:07 AM

Although the US 31 corridor is the most logical choice for I-67, and I've proposed it as such in the past...however, I do agree that we'll most likely never see it in our lifetimes (well, those over 40 anyway).

Even though I think it isn't necessary, Indiana is pretty committed to getting the rest of 31 between South Bend and Indy converted to freeway.  Now, whether or not they actually get an interstate designation approved is another story, but I think the possibility is real. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on May 16, 2018, 01:09:23 PM
It's an actual proposed highway by INDOT... that's why it's here.

I don't think it actually is, the only people talking about it are the cities that want it.  INDOT doesn't have any information anywhere that I can find on it. 

SW Indiana

silverback1065

"Financing for the feasibility study is documented in a memorandum of understanding that will be proposed to INDOT. The memorandum will also state that INDOT will work to validate the corridor as an actual project, which it has not yet done."

proves my point, this is fictional, it's not even on INDOT's radar as a project at all. I do like the fantasy they have that design could begin in 2024.  :-D

jnewkirk77

I can understand (and support) a bypass of Jasper and Huntingburg, but the rest of this mess ... it's unnecessary.

The most recent map ditches the Jasper-to-Washington link for one that cuts NE to pass through the Hoosier National Forest (HAHAHAHA, yeah, that'll happen) around French Lick/West Baden Springs, then up to Bedford.  :pan:

If people are willing to be more realistic, they could satisfy most of their real needs by working with INDOT to identify areas where the existing 231 north of I-64 could be upgraded (passing lanes, intersection improvements, etc.).  That would make much more sense.

But I get the impression these people don't much care if it makes sense!

SW Indiana

Probably 10 years ago or so, I had emailed the Vincennes district about 231 plans in martin and Dubois counties between Loogootee and Jasper. At that time, the rep stated there had been plans to perform several intersection improvements, with added turn lanes, realigning a couple intersections etc, but that had been scoped back to a simple repave, which that has even yet to occur. If anyone on here has traveled 231 between Loogootee and Jasper the past couple of years, you will know the horrid condition it is in; crumbling pavement and shoulders, dips, etc. The pavement is a mess. I think the last time 231 was repaved was around 1999 or 2000. It is scheduled to be repaved later this year, however. 

jnewkirk77

Quote from: SW Indiana on May 17, 2018, 11:37:25 AM
Probably 10 years ago or so, I had emailed the Vincennes district about 231 plans in martin and Dubois counties between Loogootee and Jasper. At that time, the rep stated there had been plans to perform several intersection improvements, with added turn lanes, realigning a couple intersections etc, but that had been scoped back to a simple repave, which that has even yet to occur. If anyone on here has traveled 231 between Loogootee and Jasper the past couple of years, you will know the horrid condition it is in; crumbling pavement and shoulders, dips, etc. The pavement is a mess. I think the last time 231 was repaved was around 1999 or 2000. It is scheduled to be repaved later this year, however.

I remember that. Seems like the wheels came off those plans when the I-69 project got accelerated, but I don't remember for sure.

It'd be fantastic if INDOT can push 231 back to the forefront and do some things that would largely fit within the footprint of the existing road. Like this: http://www.modot.org/Shared4-Lane/documents/SharedFourLaneBrochure.pdf

andy

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on May 17, 2018, 11:21:38 PM

I remember that. Seems like the wheels came off those plans when the I-69 project got accelerated, but I don't remember for sure.

It'd be fantastic if INDOT can push 231 back to the forefront and do some things that would largely fit within the footprint of the existing road. Like this: http://www.modot.org/Shared4-Lane/documents/SharedFourLaneBrochure.pdf

I have also heard I-69 sucked up all the available money for about 10 years, but I'm still happy it was built.

The Shared4-Lane looks interesting. But the current footprint for 231 is tight in many places and wouldn't really support that any easier than just selectively adding (as many as possible) extra lanes with normal merge points.

And, looking further up the thread, I agree "I-67" is in many ways a fictional title. There is, however, a reasonable discussion to be had about improving the Owensboro/ Rockport/ Dale/ Huntingburg/ Jasper/ "what-ever" corridor toward the north.

silverback1065

Quote from: andy on May 22, 2018, 11:40:57 PM
Quote from: jnewkirk77 on May 17, 2018, 11:21:38 PM

I have also heard I-69 sucked up all the available money for about 10 years, but I'm still happy it was built.

The Shared4-Lane looks interesting. But the current footprint for 231 is tight in many places and wouldn't really support that any easier than just selectively adding (as many as possible) extra lanes with normal merge points.

And, looking further up the thread, I agree "I-67" is in many ways a fictional title. There is, however, a reasonable discussion to be had about improving the Owensboro/ Rockport/ Dale/ Huntingburg/ Jasper/ "what-ever" corridor toward the north.

SR 67/US 231 is like this around the spencer area.  also, INDOT has long wanted to completely bypass those cities and continue the divided highway north of 64.  That's all that's needed, a 4 lane divided highway from 64 to 69. 

Nacho

I would concur with the opinion that 231 could use a bypass around the Jasper/Huntingburg area. Jasper especially is a pretty bad slowdown along that route. Just separating the local and long distance traffic would do a lot. I would also concur with the opinion that a full interstate would be overkill. The divided section starting at Dale works perfectly well for the traffic it sees.

andy

Still not a fan of "I-67" generally, but there is an interesting new proposed routing in southern Indiana.

From https://indianaeconomicdigest.com/main.asp?SectionID=31&SubSectionID=111&ArticleID=91953 (4/24/2018)
The article still focuses on a north or north/west corridor, but the picture in the corner of the article is new;

https://c3b74fa927ed6538c5b7-932d758ce7adb10decf1238c99d0d259.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/98b9475ea2391f514e6c6643a36d79cf.pdf

This proposal swings north/east from the north side of Jasper, approaches French Lick, and meets SR37 on the north side of Mitchell.
The most surprising thing to me is this is barely more than 30 miles. Current drive time from Mitchell to Jasper is a full hour and would presumably be cut in half.

It would help the Casino in French Lick with access from the north (Bloomington and Indianapolis) which would be a source of political support.

Seems to me this routing would provide more economic potential than linking to Washington or Crane.

I still think, instead of an interstate, a minimal access four lane like the current SR37 between Bloomington and Mitchell would be adequate.
In fact I think the interstate is overkill and a well managed (60 MPH, no or few stop lights) four lane would actually provide more economic potential.

The proposal also upgrades US231 south of Dale and SR37 north of Mitchell to full interstate, but I don't care at all about that.

One final thought, the Natcher bridge over the Ohio is not tolled and as proposed, I-67 could draw traffic away from both I-65 and I-69.

ilpt4u

There is already a back country road route that is roughly where that proposal goes between Mitchell and French Lick...I have family that lives on it!

Locals already know it shaves a good 10-20 minutes, vs using US 150 and IN 37 thru Paoli to make the connection from French Lick to Mitchell/IN 37 and Points North. You can tell by local increased local country road traffic in the before work mornings and after work evenings

Is a full interstate needed on this corridor? Debatable.

Had I-64 taken its original US 50 (IL)/US 150 (IN) route between STL and Louisville, French Lick would already have an East-West Interstate. But since that did not happen, perhaps a North-South is warranted?

Overall, if this Owensboro to Bloomington Interstate is viable, even with nearby and new I-69, then the Southern IL I-24 Marion to STL Extension has to be viable as well

sparker

Looks like this proposal is simply a "connect-the-dots" mimicking of the I-69 segment south of Bloomington, except serving other towns to the east, with the new section connecting to the expressway section of US 231 south of I-64, including the Natcher Bridge into KY.  While the idea of proving improved access from the IN 37 corridor south of Bloomington to an existing high-capacity Ohio River crossing isn't totally without merit (and it is more useful than previous corridors extending straight up US 231 to I-69), a new-terrain connector through territory equally as difficult as that along I-69 would probably not be a financially viable venture in the foreseeable future.  Chances are that any further freeway construction will be based on upgrades to existing arterials or expressways such as US 31 north of Indy, or possibly the Hoosier Heartland E-W corridor -- simply for purposes of cost containment.  The only readily "convertible" part of the corridor as shown is US 231 from the Ohio River north to I-64; IN 37 is largely a "basic" rural facility with unfettered access points; like the stretch north of Bloomington now becoming part of I-69, it would require extensive relocation or truncation of access points plus numerous grade separations -- and that is a very costly undertaking.  I don't see INDOT embarking on a second large-scale project in this region anytime soon. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.