News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Bad milk in the 1980s/1990s/2000s

Started by bandit957, March 07, 2019, 10:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: webny99 on March 09, 2019, 02:25:13 PM
the thought of drinking it plain makes me feel a bit queasy.

I get that same feeling with the thought of drinking a glass of whole milk.

Call it milk water all you want, but drinking a tall glass of cold skim milk on a hot day is excellent. For cereal and cooking, though, I like to use one percent.

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on March 09, 2019, 02:20:09 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 08, 2019, 01:38:49 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on March 08, 2019, 11:41:47 AM
Quote from: Rothman on March 08, 2019, 11:39:50 AMNot true around here.  Still, I think I read somewhere that there is some strange geographic patterns as to where people drink whole and where people drink skim.
I read that suburbs mostly drink skim, while very urban and very rural areas mostly drink whole.
That sounds right to me.

I would say urban drinks "healthy" non-milks like soy and almond, suburbs drink skim or 1%, rural drinks 2%.

I honestly don't know anyone who drinks whole milk besides babies/young kids. We live in the suburbs, and we usually have both skim and 2% in the house. Skim seems to be the biggest seller at the grocery stores in our area.

I think it's mostly a case of what you grew up drinking. When we were kids, our mom always bought 2% milk because the doctor recommended it, and to this day I find whole milk or skim milk revolting (never had 1% as far as I know). I'll buy whole milk if a recipe specifies it, but I won't drink it. My cousins from Brooklyn grew up drinking whole milk and they feel even 2% is too watery.

We bought almond milk once to see what it tasted like. Didn't care for it.

I don't drink milk by itself that often other than with certain desserts (usually chocolate, like brownies or cookies–but not ice cream), but this morning I accidentally drank some of the sludge in the bottom of my coffee mug and milk was excellent for getting rid of the nasty taste. 
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bandit957

One thing I don't drink at all is coffee. I just don't understand the attraction to it.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Beltway

Quote from: bandit957 on March 09, 2019, 05:39:34 PM
One thing I don't drink at all is coffee. I just don't understand the attraction to it.

Is that one of those things you need to acquire a "taste for"?  To me it tastes horrible.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Beltway on March 09, 2019, 09:05:00 PM
Is that one of those things you need to acquire a "taste for"?  To me it tastes horrible.

I'd assume so. I can only drink coffee if I put a ton of sugar and flavorings in it–as such, I pretty much never drink it. Black coffee is nasty.

Roadgeekteen

I can drink plain milk but it might change when I am older.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 09, 2019, 10:56:59 PM
You'll have to switch to chocolate?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abefroman329

Yes, and I drink drip coffee black, which you REALLY have to acquire a taste for.

I started in high school and back then it was out of some idiotic "real men do this"  belief I had, but today I just don't like the thought of cream in coffee, and I don't need sweetener in it. Coffee and milk is just fine, though.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 09, 2019, 05:33:21 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 09, 2019, 02:20:09 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 08, 2019, 01:38:49 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on March 08, 2019, 11:41:47 AM
Quote from: Rothman on March 08, 2019, 11:39:50 AMNot true around here.  Still, I think I read somewhere that there is some strange geographic patterns as to where people drink whole and where people drink skim.
I read that suburbs mostly drink skim, while very urban and very rural areas mostly drink whole.
That sounds right to me.

I would say urban drinks "healthy" non-milks like soy and almond, suburbs drink skim or 1%, rural drinks 2%.

I honestly don't know anyone who drinks whole milk besides babies/young kids. We live in the suburbs, and we usually have both skim and 2% in the house. Skim seems to be the biggest seller at the grocery stores in our area.

I think it's mostly a case of what you grew up drinking. When we were kids, our mom always bought 2% milk because the doctor recommended it, and to this day I find whole milk or skim milk revolting (never had 1% as far as I know). I'll buy whole milk if a recipe specifies it, but I won't drink it. My cousins from Brooklyn grew up drinking whole milk and they feel even 2% is too watery.

We bought almond milk once to see what it tasted like. Didn't care for it.

I don't drink milk by itself that often other than with certain desserts (usually chocolate, like brownies or cookies–but not ice cream), but this morning I accidentally drank some of the sludge in the bottom of my coffee mug and milk was excellent for getting rid of the nasty taste.
We also drank 2% growing up, and I drink 1% now. Whole or skim is also revolting to me, and I can barely do 2% these days. They sell 0.5% milk in Michigan, but I've never tried it.

1995hoo

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 10, 2019, 09:40:01 AM

Yes, and I drink drip coffee black, which you REALLY have to acquire a taste for.

I started in high school and back then it was out of some idiotic "real men do this"  belief I had, but today I just don't like the thought of cream in coffee, and I don't need sweetener in it. Coffee and milk is just fine, though.

I've always consumed my coffee black, going back to when I started drinking it. My parents drank it black; in my father's case, that was for health reasons to do with the sugar. So they didn't have cream around the house and I never got into the habit of using it–unless I'm drinking that New Orleans—style coffee with chicory (I seldom do), which is simply too darn strong without something to cut it. I also have an Indonesian coffee recipe that uses some spices in the brewing and calls for putting coconut milk in it when drinking it. I tried that one both ways and it was better with the coconut milk.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on March 09, 2019, 11:07:19 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 09, 2019, 10:56:59 PM
You'll have to switch to chocolate?
Well I prefer chocolate.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ce929wax

Every once in a while I will have a glass of plain milk, but not often.  I occasionally drink chocolate milk.   

hbelkins

I'm not a coffee drinker either. We weren't allowed to drink it as kids; it was an "adult" drink (although we did drink tea and pop). I tried it a couple of times and really didn't like it. Truth be told, I'm not a fan of hot drinks of any kind, although I will drink hot chocolate. I'd rather have iced tea than hot tea.

I think most people drink coffee for the caffeine. On my Facebook feed, there's almost a stoner culture-type series of posts from people who love their coffee, don't talk to them until they've had their morning coffee, posting pictures of gallon-jug-sized coffee mugs, and so on.

I've never needed a caffeine boost. I drink caffeinated diet soft drinks, because they're the most readily available, but I can just as easily drink a gold-label non-caffeinated Diet Coke as a gray-label caffeinated one.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Beltway

Quote from: hbelkins on March 10, 2019, 01:58:11 PM
I think most people drink coffee for the caffeine. On my Facebook feed, there's almost a stoner culture-type series of posts from people who love their coffee, don't talk to them until they've had their morning coffee, posting pictures of gallon-jug-sized coffee mugs, and so on.
I've never needed a caffeine boost. I drink caffeinated diet soft drinks, because they're the most readily available, but I can just as easily drink a gold-label non-caffeinated Diet Coke as a gray-label caffeinated one.

I like hot tea, and it has some caffeine in it.  Sweetened with Stevia.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

DaBigE

Quote from: hbelkins on March 10, 2019, 01:58:11 PM

That's the excuse I use when having a Coke at 9:30 am...it's how I choose to get my caffeine kick after a poor night's sleep.  I've never been a mud water (err...coffee) person and I don't think I ever will be. It's taken 35 years just to tolerate the smell of the coffee aisle in the grocery store.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: DaBigE on March 10, 2019, 04:06:41 PM
It's taken 35 years just to tolerate the smell of the coffee aisle in the grocery store.

See, I think coffee smells great, but tastes like drain cleaner. I love the smells of coffee at the grocery store.

Road Hog

I don't drink a lot of milk, so when I need it for cooking, etc. I get soy or almond milk -- not because I'm a health "nut" (get it?), but because it keeps a whole lot longer.

hbelkins

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 10, 2019, 04:35:26 PM
It's taken 35 years just to tolerate the smell of the coffee aisle in the grocery store.

See, I think coffee smells great, but tastes like drain cleaner. I love the smells of coffee at the grocery store.

I don't mind the smell of it either, but just don't have anything for the taste.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

webny99

Quote from: hbelkins on March 10, 2019, 08:19:25 PM
I don't mind the smell of it either, but just don't have anything for the taste.

Yeah, I find coffee bitter, but I can enjoy it iced from Dunkin with lots of cream and sugar.
As a friend of mine says, "no use burning your mouth for a bad taste!"  :-D

abefroman329

How do you know what drain cleaner tastes like?

Beltway

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 11, 2019, 02:49:47 PM

Does it taste like Ipecac?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 11, 2019, 02:49:47 PM

I like to chug Drāno.

cjk374

Mom raised us on 2%. I drink whole milk now...and have been for 25 years.

As for cooking, I use whole milk. The more milk fat, the creamier your food will be.

Buttermilk is super-gross. I only use it when making home made biscuits.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

ce929wax

I usually drink 1% when I drink it.  I would prefer 2%, but it is a compromise with my Mom since she prefers skim and I don't like skim.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.