News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Michigan Left Sighting...

Started by juscuz410, March 28, 2010, 11:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juscuz410

...in Asheville, NC! I believe at the corner of Patton & Haywood. You can't turn left, but after the light you turn right on the loop to make the "left" turn as you head towards the Arts District.

rawmustard

Quote from: juscuz410 on March 28, 2010, 11:35:08 AM
...in Asheville, NC! I believe at the corner of Patton & Haywood. You can't turn left, but after the light you turn right on the loop to make the "left" turn as you head towards the Arts District.

What you are describing is a reverse jughandle. A Michigan left would have involved you going through the intersection, making a U-turn at a designated point, and then turning right when you get back to the intersection (or turning right onto a divided road and then making the U-turn if that is the case).

dfilpus

NC does have modified Michigan Lefts in several places. There are the Superstreet intersection of US 15/501 and Erwin/Europa Roads in Chapel Hill, several intersections on the US 1 Vass Bypass and US 17 just south of the US 74/76 interchange are all modified Michigan lefts. The Superstreet requires all left turns to use the U-turn on US 15/501, but also requires traffic crossing from Erwin to/from Eureka to make a left turn, then a U-turn on US 15/501 then right onto the other road. Some of the intersections on US 1 and US 17 allow left turns from the highway onto the sideroad, but force left turns from the side road to turn right and use the U-turn.

I haven't seen a true Michigan left in NC yet. A true Michigan left allows straight through traffic in both directions, but forces all left turns to use the U-turn on one or other of the streets (and sometimes either one). In Michigan, these are known as Telegraph Lefts, after the street name for US 24, which has them at most mile roads.

juscuz410

Quote from: rawmustard on March 28, 2010, 12:16:57 PM
Quote from: juscuz410 on March 28, 2010, 11:35:08 AM
What you are describing is a reverse jughandle. A Michigan left would have involved you going through the intersection, making a U-turn at a designated point, and then turning right when you get back to the intersection (or turning right onto a divided road and then making the U-turn if that is the case).

Gotcha. Kind of like the intersection of M-44 & West River Rd. north of Gd. Rapids. Thanks for clearing that up.

Fixed the quote.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.