News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New South Carolina State Shields

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 12:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

papaT10932

Since I'm the one who brought up the topic of the sign's legibility, I thought it would be worthwhile to see what a SC shield would look like with black numbers.

Ian

Are there any old design SC standalone shields along I-95 (at the interchanges) in South Carolina?
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

mightyace

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 18, 2010, 03:33:41 AM
like the design of these shields, but... the three digit blanks for one and two digits routes is too much for me. That SC 3 shield looks ridiculous.

IMHO Tennessee also uses 3 digit blanks for all signs and they look OK.  If you agree, what's the difference between Tennessee's and South Carolina's or do you think Tennessee's look ridiculous as well?

For comparison purposes, here's a TN 7 sign:

20091222 US 31 N @ TN 7-1 by mightyace, on Flickr
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

papaT10932

Quote from: mightyace on February 18, 2010, 06:51:44 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 18, 2010, 03:33:41 AM
like the design of these shields, but... the three digit blanks for one and two digits routes is too much for me. That SC 3 shield looks ridiculous.

IMHO Tennessee also uses 3 digit blanks for all signs and they look OK.  If you agree, what's the difference between Tennessee's and South Carolina's or do you think Tennessee's look ridiculous as well?

For comparison purposes, here's a TN 7 sign:

20091222 US 31 N @ TN 7-1 by mightyace, on Flickr

The Tennessee state outline doesn't jut out as much as the SC state outline, so there is a lot more room for the number on the TN shield. It's hard to make a single digit bigger and more prominent without interfering with the SC state outline.

And lets be clear. I'll bet everyone on this forum is grateful for the switch from old shield to new shield. I guess we're just being picky.  :-P

florida

Quote from: mightyace on February 18, 2010, 06:51:44 PM
IMHO Tennessee also uses 3 digit blanks for all signs and they look OK.  If you agree, what's the difference between Tennessee's and South Carolina's or do you think Tennessee's look ridiculous as well?

Yes, the squashed rhombus is ridiculous ;)

Quote from: PennDOTFan on February 18, 2010, 03:21:15 PM
Are there any old design SC standalone shields along I-95 (at the interchanges) in South Carolina?

Probably in the southern part of the state...Coosawhatchie area.
So many roads...so little time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.