News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Elgin-O'Hare Tollway

Started by Brandon, January 24, 2013, 05:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET21

Progress!

From Travel Midwest:
"The new flyover ramp bridge connecting eastbound I-290 to eastbound IL-390 is now open to traffic, creating a new free-flow movement within the I-290 Interchange, reducing travel times and improving access between I-290 and the IL-390 Tollway.

As part of the Illinois Tollway's I-290 Interchange Project, the Illinois Department of Transportation together with DuPage County is building the three-level, multi-span ramp structure that will provide two, 12-foot lanes with a 10-foot outside shoulder and a 12-foot inside shoulder.

The new free-flow ramp will eliminate bottlenecks and significantly reduce travel delays on IL-390 and through the interchange with the elimination of the last remaining traffic signal at the interchange controlling traffic flow between eastbound I-290 and eastbound Illinois Route 390.

At 1 a.m. on Wednesday, November 30, the right lane on the new ramp opened to traffic, but the left lane will remain closed until work on the interchange is complete in 2017. In conjunction with the ramp opening, the traffic signal at the existing intersection of the ramp from eastbound I-290 to eastbound IL-390 will be removed and a third lane on westbound IL-390 between Hamilton Lakes Drive and I-290 will open, helping to reduce congestion at the interchange"
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

The Ghostbuster

This may be a stupid question, but will the new section of IL-390 have any interchanges between Interstate 290 and future Interstate 490 (The West O'Hare Bypass)?

tribar

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 01, 2016, 03:12:39 PM
This may be a stupid question, but will the new section of IL-390 have any interchanges between Interstate 290 and future Interstate 490 (The West O'Hare Bypass)?

Yes. There will be ones at 83 and Wood Dale Rd.

hobsini2

Quote from: tribar on December 01, 2016, 04:34:18 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 01, 2016, 03:12:39 PM

Yes. There will be ones at 83 and Wood Dale Rd.
And at Prospect Ave I believe as well.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

dzlsabe

How did this 9 mile boondoggle progress this far without CPRR and ISTHA/IDOT being on the same page?

Why are they building it again? To get to the other side (of the airport). Why? Are there plans to build more terminals there? NO. There are plans to build more gates near the existing terminals. OHARE. The Faustian Bargain that just keeps on giving to the north side and NW burbs.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-tollway-budget-20161215-story.html

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9754527,-87.938735,2515m/data=!3m1!1e3
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

ET21

Quote from: dzlsabe on December 18, 2016, 10:44:41 AM

Why are they building it again? To get to the other side (of the airport). Why? Are there plans to build more terminals there? NO. There are plans to build more gates near the existing terminals. OHARE. The Faustian Bargain that just keeps on giving to the north side and NW burbs.

It's called the O'Hare Western Access, where yes they are going to build new terminals on the west side of the airport. Phase 1 is IL-390, Phase 2 will be the eventual I-490, Phase 3 will be the new terminals

Clinched:

ILRoad55

How did this 9 mile boondoggle progress this far without CPRR and ISTHA/IDOT being on the same page?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-tollway-budget-20161215-story.html

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9754527,-87.938735,2515m/data=!3m1!1e3

PLEASE STOP AND LEAVE, if you had the highway systems here, remove yourself from Chicago.

O'Hare has plans for future terminals on the west side, why do you think they left all that land empty for so many years? You can't build a terminal and have no roads going to it. Also the EOWA is meant to bypass the mess at I-90, I-190, and I-294 and to bypass I-290, it's not just the Airport.

Let me guess, you think the I-355 extension was a bad idea because it goes nowhere too?

inkyatari

I'd argue the IL 53 N extension is more important than the EOE.

I think most of us would argue that.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

johndoe780

Quote from: inkyatari on December 19, 2016, 09:42:32 AM

IL 53 N would have been made if the the local communities stopped acting like a bunch of idiots.

Dupage county, wood dale, bensenville, and itasca have been smart and are embracing the growth as well as potential tax dollars the new highway will create.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: johndoe780 on December 19, 2016, 01:49:53 PM

IL 53 N would have been made if the the local communities stopped acting like a bunch of idiots.

Dupage county, wood dale, bensenville, and itasca have been smart and are embracing the growth as well as potential tax dollars the new highway will create.

What about Lakemoor, volo, mchenry , etc with out FAP 420? Do they really want all the traffic dumped on to IL-120 and US-12?

as for the other side will they get rid of the light at IL-120 and oplaine rd?

What are the plans for a full interchange at IL-120 and I-94?

johndoe780

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on December 19, 2016, 02:44:50 PM

What about Lakemoor, volo, mchenry , etc with out FAP 420? Do they really want all the traffic dumped on to IL-120 and US-12?

Unfortunately, hawthorn woods, Long Grove, and the like are $$$$ suburbs so it goes without saying that their influence is put at a higher level than those middle class burbs like mchenry, lakemoor, and volo.

But hey, I'm all for il 53.

I-39

Quote from: johndoe780 on December 19, 2016, 04:41:00 PM
Quote from: Joe The Dragon on December 19, 2016, 02:44:50 PM

Unfortunately, hawthorn woods, Long Grove, and the like are $$$$ suburbs so it goes without saying that their influence is put at a higher level than those middle class burbs like mchenry, lakemoor, and volo.

But hey, I'm all for il 53.

McHenry, Lakemoor and Volo won't be seeing the 53 extension as the McHenry leg is (though not officially) for all intensive purposes cancelled.

But like I've said many times, I agree that the 53 extension should have been built first. The EOWA isn't really necessary until they figure out what to do as far as western access to O'Hare. The West Bypass (I-490) will be a glorified exit ramp from NB I-294 to WB I-90 and vice versa until then.

And to answer the question about the IL-120 interchange, I believe the plan is to convert it to a full system interchange.

dzlsabe

Quote from: ET21 on December 18, 2016, 05:37:34 PM

It's called the O'Hare Western Access, where yes they are going to build new terminals on the west side of the airport. Phase 1 is IL-390, Phase 2 will be the eventual I-490, Phase 3 will be the new terminals

I am finding NO mention of new west terminals (or studies) in this.... http://www.theconf.com/presentations/2015/O'Hare%20Modernization%20Update.pdf

Or this...

Or this...
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20160719/news/160718961/

Lotta mouth-breathing buzzwords though. "Good news, talk, positive signals, Missing from the rollout was a mention of DuPage County's economic holy grail -- a western terminal. However, the city is contemplating building new concourses to the west ONCE THE MARKET DEMANDS IT :rofl: , preliminary diagrams, "They're moving economic activity closer to the western side. We will have a toll roadway outside THEIR (NO they would be Dupages and their $$$) gates where thousands will drive by. ... It's going to happen," Cronin said." :rofl: 

Or this...

http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/7/18/12213272/chicago-transportation-expanded-terminal-ohare-airport

Dupageco map....
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dupage+County,+IL/@41.9880304,-87.9256474,10059m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x880fa8de1e18ff6b:0x490f88f65e78ec6a!8m2!3d41.8243831!4d-88.0900762
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

ChiMilNet

Without a way to access it, there would not even be any feasible way to  start it. If one were to look at the whole picture, the EOWA makes a LOT of sense and could really cut down on the mess at I-90/294/190 interchange, especially for traffic from I-294 North to I-90 West and I-90 East to I-294 South (the traffic SB on I-294 there is a mess and anyway to go around that would be welcome in my book). The Devon Avenue toll plaza would also benefit from less traffic. As far as missing links, this is a sensible one.

As far as the IL 53 North Extension, probably it is best we not hold our breath, although I am glad the tollway continues to study it and keep it alive.

quickshade

Quote from: dzlsabe on December 19, 2016, 09:41:48 PM
Quote from: ET21 on December 18, 2016, 05:37:34 PM

I am finding NO mention of new west terminals (or studies) in this.... http://www.theconf.com/presentations/2015/O'Hare%20Modernization%20Update.pdf
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20160719/news/160718961/

Thats on the new Elgin O'Hare expressway and how it affects the airport

http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/7/18/12213272/chicago-transportation-expanded-terminal-ohare-airport

Thats on the current plan and future plans for the airport, including the western terminal.

I don't say this often but you kinda troll pretty hard sometimes. I understand you want to prove a point but lets not ignore facts on this project and what O'Hare is planning. We can all cherry pick old articles but lets try to use the most up to date information we have.

dzlsabe

Quote from: hobsini2 on December 20, 2016, 07:21:26 PM
Facts are unimportant in DZ's world. He thinks only 100 homes and businesses would be affected by his dead on arrival Hypo 90 idea.

Ah THIS is the DOA EIEOWA topic. The dmfs (ISHTA?) have this hoax/scheme goin (I-390 and 490 and west ORD terminals someday), spent $Bs already....but wait for it..OOOPs, they did not not get the OK from the RRs involved OR any kind of commitment/drawings from CoC/ORD for Dupage west terminals, their need or financing. Do I have those important FACTS about right?

ILRoad55

There will be a time when the terminals are needed. Maybe not in 5-10 years but in the future. As for now, I see this is an alternative to avoid 290 and to avoid the Rosement interchange.

DZL, what is your stance on the west end of the EOE? It just dead ends at Lake Street. And I guess another dead end, the Amstutz, but that is not for this topic.

quickshade

http://www3.illinois.gov/PressReleases/PressReleasesListShow.cfm?RecNum=11659

This was a long thought out plan, that has been in development for years.

QuoteThe project is expected to enhance economic development and travel performance in the region. It will save drivers $145 million in time and fuel annually by 2040; decrease traffic by more than 16 percent during rush hour and reduce delays on local roads by 24 percent; accommodate three times as many vehicles per day as local roads now carry; reduce travel time by more than seven minutes for the 11-mile trip between the west side of O'Hare Airport and U.S. Route 20 — a savings of 25 percent; and relieve congestion near the existing I-290 and Thorndale Avenue interchange, where construction of new interchanges will reduce travel times by up to 35 percent

Those numbers aren't just made up. They did research and studies on the extension and how it would affect the local area.

ET21

Quote from: quickshade on December 21, 2016, 10:51:11 AM
http://www3.illinois.gov/PressReleases/PressReleasesListShow.cfm?RecNum=11659

This was a long thought out plan, that has been in development for years.

QuoteThe project is expected to enhance economic development and travel performance in the region. It will save drivers $145 million in time and fuel annually by 2040; decrease traffic by more than 16 percent during rush hour and reduce delays on local roads by 24 percent; accommodate three times as many vehicles per day as local roads now carry; reduce travel time by more than seven minutes for the 11-mile trip between the west side of O'Hare Airport and U.S. Route 20 — a savings of 25 percent; and relieve congestion near the existing I-290 and Thorndale Avenue interchange, where construction of new interchanges will reduce travel times by up to 35 percent

Those numbers aren't just made up. They did research and studies on the extension and how it would affect the local area.

Those numbers don't matter to him, they only matter to us and the rest of the world. Only his numbers matter for everyone, as well as posting the same map over and over and over and over....... Until infinity and beyond.

I now wait for a retort making fun of another aspect of my profile.

Clinched:

hobsini2

Quote from: dzlsabe on December 21, 2016, 01:14:22 AM
Quote from: hobsini2 on December 20, 2016, 07:21:26 PM
Facts are unimportant in DZ's world. He thinks only 100 homes and businesses would be affected by his dead on arrival Hypo 90 idea.

Ah THIS is the DOA EIEOWA topic. The dmfs (ISHTA?) have this hoax/scheme goin (I-390 and 490 and west ORD terminals someday), spent $Bs already....but wait for it..OOOPs, they did not not get the OK from the RRs involved OR any kind of commitment/drawings from CoC/ORD for Dupage west terminals, their need or financing. Do I have those important FACTS about right?

And 100 looks about right. I count 31 in Chicago. What do YOU count in obsiniworld?
First off, if you are building an expressway, you need at minimum for a 4 lanes (2 each way) + shoulders. So that is 12 +12 + 12 + 12 (traffic lanes) + 10 + 10 (outside shoulders) + 4 + 4 (median shoulders) + 4 for the Jersey barrier. That is 80 feet at a minimum without any grass slope or additional lanes or an actual median that is not just a Jersey barrier.

Next, being in the urban area, it would be a minimum of 6 lanes if not 8. So you can add another 24 or 48 feet depending on the total lanes. That brings it up to 104 or 128 feet at a bare minimum with NO exits.

Well we know that that will have exits so that will add another 100 feet each direction in urban areas according to the minimum Interstate standards for an exit.

So your grand total width at exits at a minimum is 280 feet for a 4 lane, 304 for a 6 lane and 328 for an 8 lane highway. So the width is longer than the length of a freaking football field. That minimum is EXACTLY why your estimated 100 homes and businesses affected is POPPYCOCK!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_Highway_standards

Now, this has ZERO to do with the Elgin O'Hare and the West Bypass so we will not bring it up again.

CAPICHE you bloody radiator? Move along!
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Revive 755

Mods:  Can Somebody please move the fictional crap out of this thread and get it back on the topic of IL 390 and/or I-490?

edwaleni

Quote from: ILRoad55 on December 21, 2016, 09:52:03 AM
There will be a time when the terminals are needed. Maybe not in 5-10 years but in the future. As for now, I see this is an alternative to avoid 290 and to avoid the Rosement interchange.

DZL, what is your stance on the west end of the EOE? It just dead ends at Lake Street. And I guess another dead end, the Amstutz, but that is not for this topic.

IDOT owns a majority of the ROW for the EOE west of US20.  There is a plan to take it as a freeway west over County Farm Road and then it takes a NW direction over Devon Ave.and the Metra Milwaukee West to the existing US 20 and will run on top of it or beside it (from South Park Ave to point in from of Ace Coffee) at several points until it reaches the IL59 interchange.  The ROW they don't own already is where US20 has large commercial interests that are next to the older ROW at Oak Avenue in Streamwood. They had hearings on this section back in the 1970's, but never got the money to start. One plan showed it going over Oak Avenue years ago, but the land is now a middle school.

IDOT is still protecting this ROW as the several warehouses built around it since the 1970's are clipped on their corners in anticipation of a sound wall. The vacant land south of US20 and South Park is to accommodate a future exit ramp.

ET21

Quote from: edwaleni on January 04, 2017, 12:34:03 AM
Quote from: ILRoad55 on December 21, 2016, 09:52:03 AM

IDOT owns a majority of the ROW for the EOE west of US20.  There is a plan to take it as a freeway west over County Farm Road and then it takes a NW direction over Devon Ave.and the Metra Milwaukee West to the existing US 20 and will run on top of it or beside it (from South Park Ave to point in from of Ace Coffee) at several points until it reaches the IL59 interchange.  The ROW they don't own already is where US20 has large commercial interests that are next to the older ROW at Oak Avenue in Streamwood. They had hearings on this section back in the 1970's, but never got the money to start. One plan showed it going over Oak Avenue years ago, but the land is now a middle school.

IDOT is still protecting this ROW as the several warehouses built around it since the 1970's are clipped on their corners in anticipation of a sound wall. The vacant land south of US20 and South Park is to accommodate a future exit ramp.

I'm surprised they didn't do much with this along with the entire 390 project.

Clinched:

The Ghostbuster

Will the portion west of US 20 ever be constructed? I heard that if constructed, it would be an arterial rather than a freeway or tollway.

edwaleni

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 04, 2017, 07:02:56 PM
Will the portion west of US 20 ever be constructed? I heard that if constructed, it would be an arterial rather than a freeway or tollway.

In the 1970's it was always planned as an expressway, and the section from US20 to IL59 was to maintain that.

However, with Illinois so broke at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if it is a freeway after US20 where the tolls will end until South Park, where it will become a "super arterial" until IL59.

US20 west of IL59 until the US20 Elgin bypass has some ROW constraints, especially in and around Villa Olivia that may force IDOT to give it up and let it remain as is for the foreseeable future.

Much of the ROW was acquired after WW2 and into the 1950's and when the Northwest Tollway was built in the late 50's, the urgency to protect certain parts east of Elgin just didn't get priority.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.