News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Elgin-O'Hare Tollway

Started by Brandon, January 24, 2013, 05:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tribar

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 20, 2017, 03:57:35 PM
I noticed the story called the road Interstate 390, when it is really State Highway 390. Is that a common error?

That's just WGN's incompetence/laziness. They refer to the I-94 section of the Tri State as I-294 all the time and repeatedly refer to US routes as state routes and vice versa.  Their articles are always littered with spelling errors as well.

I-39

And there is still no consensus on what to do with the west side of the airport..........

Wish they would have figured that out before extending IL-390.

Revive 755

Quote from: tribar on July 20, 2017, 04:02:13 PM
I noticed the story called the road Interstate 390, when it is really State Highway 390. Is that a common error?

That's just WGN's incompetence/laziness.

It's a lot more than just WGN.  The worst is when the local governments do it.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 20, 2017, 07:32:36 PM

That's just WGN's incompetence/laziness.

It's a lot more than just WGN.  The worst is when the local governments do it.

There ad / billboards that have IL-394 as I-394 as well.

silverback1065

That's just WGN's incompetence/laziness. They refer to the I-94 section of the Tri State as I-294 all the time and repeatedly refer to US routes as state routes and vice versa.  Their articles are always littered with spelling errors as well.

local news organizations regularly fuck up route nomenclature, hell even can't get route numbers right at times!

mgk920

Before it became I-88, the locals always referred to the East-West Tollway as 'I-5', too (it was IL 5).

Mike

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: mgk920 on July 21, 2017, 01:19:21 PM

Before it became I-88, the locals always referred to the East-West Tollway as 'I-5', too (it was IL 5).

Mike

I don't know if that was so much an error as much as an ambiguity.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

paulthemapguy

Yeah news outlets screw up route numbering and nomenclature all the time.  WGN goofs up especially often though...You can find hundreds of examples of their funny and cringe-worthy slip-ups on youtube.

She also said "east of 83" in the video...she clearly should have said "west of 83."

I wasn't sure how certain it was that the new beltway around O'Hare would be numbered, "490."  Is this confirmed?

And railroads are ALWAYS the hardest to deal with when planning a new ROW...They're all private conglomerates that are impossible to deal with, whether your road project has a Phase I or not.  I doubt the eastern spur into O'Hare will be completed in 2019 like they say, just because of the presence of these railroads.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

silverback1065

Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 21, 2017, 02:46:14 PM
Yeah news outlets screw up route numbering and nomenclature all the time.  WGN goofs up especially often though...You can find hundreds of examples of their funny and cringe-worthy slip-ups on youtube.

She also said "east of 83" in the video...she clearly should have said "west of 83."

I wasn't sure how certain it was that the new beltway around O'Hare would be numbered, "490."  Is this confirmed?

And railroads are ALWAYS the hardest to deal with when planning a new ROW...They're all private conglomerates that are impossible to deal with, whether your road project has a Phase I or not.  I doubt the eastern spur into O'Hare will be completed in 2019 like they say, just because of the presence of these railroads.

i thought it would be 490 too, and railroads are like utilities on road projects, they work on their own schedules, and don't care about your road project.

johndoe780

Agreed. The canadian railroad companies are the worst candidates of this description as well.

The Ghostbuster

Oh, well. Nobody's perfect.

Revive 755

I have not heard that FHWA has signed off on the route becoming an interstate, so I'd say it is not 100 percent confirmed.  If the facility becomes a state route, I would not entirely rule out the number changing, but would put low odds on it.

I-39

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 21, 2017, 09:14:49 PM

I have not heard that FHWA has signed off on the route becoming an interstate, so I'd say it is not 100 percent confirmed.  If the facility becomes a state route, I would not entirely rule out the number changing, but would put low odds on it.

I thought AASTHO approved it?

Revive 755

Permanent signing is being installed for IL 390 east of I-290.  There's a BGS for IL 83 with a yellow 'Tollway Ends All Traffic Must Exit' on top with flashers.  Closer to the start of the ramp to IL 83 there are a pair of yellow diamonds with, IIRC, 'Tollway Ends'.

edwaleni

Quote from: I-39 on January 10, 2017, 05:38:24 PM
Quote from: ET21 on January 08, 2017, 12:43:15 AM
Quote from: Revive 755 on January 07, 2017, 08:06:57 PM
I wouldn't rule out talk on extending the EOE westward picking up around 2025 when the current improvement program wraps up, especially if the IL 53 extension dies out.

I bet you it will be needed within the next decade or two. A link from Elgin to O'Hare without the use of I-90, and a nice in-between highway corridor between I-90 and I-88 serving the West/Northwest suburbs

I believe the western extension of IL-390 to North Ave/Lake Street will be an IDOT project, since it will be an arterial rather than a freeway. So ISTHA won't have anything to do with it.

I do wonder how they will get traffic to slow down between the existing western terminus of IL-390 and County Farm Road if the CFR intersection will be a stoplight. There does not seem to be a lot of space between the roads.

IL-390/US-20 was designed to have CFR go over it with a urban style exit layout. That is why IDOT didn't amass any excess dirt at the end like they typically do.  The plan was to trench 2 ponds on each side of CFR to supply fill for the rise over.  If and when they decide to extend it, they will probably use the same idea.  Since the ROW west of CFR is wetlands, there are several more drainage ponds that will be trenched to supply fill as the ROW turns NW back to the original US20.

edwaleni

Quote from: edwaleni on August 11, 2017, 06:05:38 PM
I wouldn't rule out talk on extending the EOE westward picking up around 2025 when the current improvement program wraps up, especially if the IL 53 extension dies out.

I bet you it will be needed within the next decade or two. A link from Elgin to O'Hare without the use of I-90, and a nice in-between highway corridor between I-90 and I-88 serving the West/Northwest suburbs

I believe the western extension of IL-390 to North Ave/Lake Street will be an IDOT project, since it will be an arterial rather than a freeway. So ISTHA won't have anything to do with it.

I do wonder how they will get traffic to slow down between the existing western terminus of IL-390 and County Farm Road if the CFR intersection will be a stoplight. There does not seem to be a lot of space between the roads.

IL-390/US-20 was designed to have CFR go over it with a urban style exit layout. That is why IDOT didn't amass any excess dirt at the end like they typically do.  The plan was to trench 2 ponds on each side of CFR to supply fill for the rise over.  If and when they decide to extend it, they will probably use the same idea.  Since the ROW west of CFR is wetlands, there are several more drainage ponds that will be trenched to supply fill as the ROW turns NW back to the original US20.

As you can see IDOT not having any money was a killer when the parcel in black was sold to the local school district.

Revive 755

Since the ROW west of CFR is wetlands, there are several more drainage ponds that will be trenched to supply fill as the ROW turns NW back to the original US20.

More likely the wetlands will end up blocking any westward extension.

edwaleni

Quote from: Revive 755 on August 11, 2017, 08:49:11 PM
Since the ROW west of CFR is wetlands, there are several more drainage ponds that will be trenched to supply fill as the ROW turns NW back to the original US20.

More likely the wetlands will end up blocking any westward extension.

They own the land, but the environmental reviews are 20+ years old and would have to be redone.  Also, not known by many is the median of the original EOE between Lake and IL-53 was a special width to accommodate a future rail transit to serve O'Hare from the west. The tollway is eliminating that now.

Also some EOE trivia is the fact that the Gary Avenue exit was added so late to the plan at the behest of DuPage County Govt leaders, the EOE highway lighting was obstructed by the overpass for the ramp. No one moved it in the plan and just installed it as drawn. It has since been removed by the tollway.

Some other trivial trivia, IDOT contractors ran into delays with the EOE overpass of the then Milwaukee Road railroad due to a large unforeseen peat bog. The bog ran so deep they had to make special accommodations for the pylon footings. It was just one of the many delays the EOE had when it was built.

The EOE and the I-255 East St Louis Bypass were the first to use the new design scheme by IDOT using the dark brown painted bridge beams, dark brown square steel signage frames and the fluted concrete supports. This broke away from the long used round aluminum signage frames and green painted bridge beams. This design scheme was also used on parts of I-39.

I-39

Quote from: edwaleni on August 11, 2017, 06:57:24 PM

As you can see IDOT not having any money was a killer when the parcel in black was sold to the local school district.

I don't believe there was ever a plan to buy that property. The EOE was suppose to follow the existing US 20 west of North Ave, and it wasn't going to be full access control, more of a parkway-style with a mixture of at-grades and grade separations.

edwaleni

Quote from: I-39 on August 12, 2017, 08:34:43 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on August 11, 2017, 06:57:24 PM

I don't believe there was ever a plan to buy that property. The EOE was suppose to follow the existing US 20 west of North Ave, and it wasn't going to be full access control, more of a parkway-style with a mixture of at-grades and grade separations.

Yes, in the FAP-6 Environmental Review Report, there are notes about a meeting with the City of Bartlett officials on the extension of Bartlett Road south of the current US20 and work an intersection with Oak Street (now Oak Lane) due to a high accident rate at Oak Street (Lane) and US 20. There were also concerns that the then Eastview Junior High (now Bartlett Middle School) was going to be too close to the ROW even though there were no frontage roads planned. They had already decided a cloverleaf was impractical and a diamond would have to be used. 

This was in 1971/1972. When Eastview was expanded north by the Bartlett School District in the 1980's, they took up the buffer space the ROW expected to acquire and today IDOT would have to condemn all the retail property between the school and US20 to make it work.

Revive 755

As of at least yesterday, traffic going from eastbound I-290 to eastbound Thorndale is routed on the future eastbound main lanes and down the exit ramp to Prospect.  There are a bunch of overhead signs with 'Tollway Ends Traffic Signal Ahead' on this short stretch, and the speed limit is an extremely low 35.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Revive 755 on September 09, 2017, 10:59:20 AM
As of at least yesterday, traffic going from eastbound I-290 to eastbound Thorndale is routed on the future eastbound main lanes and down the exit ramp to Prospect.  There are a bunch of overhead signs with 'Tollway Ends Traffic Signal Ahead' on this short stretch, and the speed limit is an extremely low 35.

Well, it looks like the end of October is slated for essentially the completion of the IL-390 Extension to IL-83. Also, there is a chance to run along the tollway as they are having a 5K. I run a lot, so I am tempted to do this!

https://www.illinoistollway.com/390event

johndoe780

Quote from: ChiMilNet on September 24, 2017, 03:49:52 PM

Well, it looks like the end of October is slated for essentially the completion of the IL-390 Extension to IL-83. Also, there is a chance to run along the tollway as they are having a 5K. I run a lot, so I am tempted to do this!

As long as it's not 90* weather, but cool fall 60-70*, I think I'll join you.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: johndoe780 on September 24, 2017, 05:27:13 PM

As long as it's not 90* weather, but cool fall 60-70*, I think I'll join you.

I would hope by the last weekend in October it'll be cooler than this at least (actually beginning of October for that matter since I'll be doing a marathon). This would be a good photo opportunity, and one time I won't need my IPASS to do it! :-D

inkyatari

I registered for the bicycling event!
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.