News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Upstate New York

Started by 1995hoo, May 09, 2019, 09:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

We're heading to Toronto next month and we plan to visit Cooperstown en route to see the Baseball Hall of Fame (consistent with visiting both Hockey Halls of Fame on the same trip–the original one in Kingston and the better-known one in Toronto).

For the drive north, I'm planning to go over the Bay Bridge so as to hit the new US-301 segment in Delaware, then go up the Northeast Extension to Scranton because I've never used that road other than its southernmost portion (and that was in the 1980s), whereas I finished the I-81 clinch in 2006. Probably then take I-81 to Binghamton to pick up I-88, as the latter road is all new for me.

That leads to two questions:

(1) Anyone have any recommendation on lodging for one night in Cooperstown or the surrounding area? I suppose I could look for something in Schenectady or Amsterdam to allow for a clinch of I-88, but I'm not enamored of then having to drive an hour back the other way the next morning, so proximity to Cooperstown might be more important. (The hotel a couple of blocks from the Baseball Hall of Fame isn't an option because they want prepayment and it's non-refundable, which I find unacceptable.) I suppose in the scheme of things if we need to stay further away, stopping short in Binghamton is probably more appealing than going past Cooperstown and then coming back.

(2) After leaving the Baseball Hall of Fame, any recommendations for an interesting route north to the Thousand Islands Bridge? As noted above, I've clinched I-81, plus most of it is out of the way from Cooperstown, so I was considering some of the state routes north to Fort Drum, then I-781 to I-81 to the bridge. (Haven't decided where to stop that night. It'll depend on what time it gets to be.) I looked into taking the ferry across to the west of the bridge, but then I looked at Google Street View and saw the lengthy queue for the other ferry to Kingston and said "forget it" (plus I want to cross off the whole segment of 401 between the bridge and Darlington Provincial Park, the latter being the furthest east we went the last time I passed through Toronto in 1986 on the way home from Cochrane).

I doubt we'll drive much in Toronto. Staying at the Royal York, so we'll probably leave the car parked and walk or take the subway, depending on where we go.

I'll probably decide on the route home when we're on the way home. I've been down I-79 to the Pennsylvania Turnpike, and I've been down I-390 to US-15, so I'm leaning towards at least starting down US-219 as far as I-80 and then seeing what the Wife Acceptance Factor is looking like before deciding whether to take 219 all the way to I-68 or instead to cut east on I-80 to I-99. Either option involves a good portion of new road for me. Also have to decide which bridge to take back to the USA, and that may depend on whether we want to stop at Niagara Falls. Neither of us has been there since the 1980s (I visited on a day trip south from Toronto on the 1986 trip mentioned above–we were camping at Darlington Provincial Park and drove down to the Falls for the day, bizarrely managing to miss a massive rainstorm that dumped so much rain on Toronto that people were water-skiing down Yonge Street behind trucks!). I see the Whirlpool Bridge is NEXUS-only, so that's not an option.

Thanks in advance for any advice on the two questions!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Jim

Staying here in Amsterdam would be good in that you could come most of the way up I-88 to get here, then take mostly the scenic US 20 ride back down to Cooperstown the next day, so while sort of doubling back, it would be a nice ride along a substantially different route.  The downside is that we don't really have a decent hotel other than the Amsterdam Castle, which might or might not be your kind of thing.  You could check out the Mohawk Valley Gateway Overlook pedestrian bridge, just down the street from there.  You have more hotel options up the road in Johnstown and over in Schenectady.  You might also consider hotels in Oneonta, Cobleskill, or Howe's Cave.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

oscar

Since you mentioned I-781, there's been discussion here about clinching that route without having to enter the Fort Drum Army base. Best approach is to continue east past US 11 (I-781's east end is definitely in the half-mile or so between US 11 and Fort Drum); stay in the left lane as you approach the sentries at the main gate; make a left turn into the small parking area in the median just before the gate; then make another left to exit the parking area and return to I-781 westbound.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Rothman

I just clinched I-781 two days ago.  The route has clear begin and end signage.  There is ample opportunity to turn around east of US 11 and before the gate.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

Thanks for the comments. Regarding I-781, a look at Google Street View shows the "end" sign on the eastbound carriageway as being near the middle of the interchange immediately after the overpass. I may apply the "interchange rule" many folks have cited in other threads in order to call it a clinch. Doesn't look like the minuscule bit of publicly-accessible road east of there is very interesting.

Jim, thanks for the comments on lodging. Amsterdam Castle looks like sort of a strange place and the reviews seem a little confused. Is it a hotel, a B&B, something else? The AAA book gives it a decent rating, so I suppose I shouldn't be put off by its strange industrial-looking exterior. I suppose if we go there, I could take I-88 all the way to the Thruway even though it's a little out of the way. Clinch I-88 so it's not one of those nagging little holes in an area I don't visit very often.

vdeane

Schenectady would probably be easier relative to I-88 than Amsterdam.  I second the idea of "backtracking" on US 20 instead of I-88.  For north to I-781, probably NY 12 to Lowville, then NY 26 to US 11.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on May 10, 2019, 08:55:47 PM
Schenectady would probably be easier relative to I-88 than Amsterdam.  I second the idea of "backtracking" on US 20 instead of I-88.  For north to I-781, probably NY 12 to Lowville, then NY 26 to US 11.

Thanks, especially on the northbound routing. Another question I should ask–and Jim strikes me as the person who would know this better than anyone else on this forum–is how long we should plan to spend at the Baseball Hall of Fame. Obviously that'll be a major determinant in where we stop for the night en route to Kingston. (I'm kind of inclined to cross the border during the day solely because Ms1995hoo has only passed through the Thousand Islands once, in 2006 on our way home from Mont-Tremblant and Ottawa, so a day crossing allows for looking around.)

Jim

I'm not too sure what the Amsterdam Castle is trying to be.  I guess somewhere in between a hotel and a B&B.  I like the idea of it and the few people I know who have stayed liked it.  They took what was the mostly abandoned old Armory building and did this with it.

As far as the Baseball Hall of Fame, it's been a while since my last visit, but you can spend as much time there as you have.  Plenty to see.  And you'll want to walk around Cooperstown some, too.  It's a fun place just to be there if you're a baseball fan.

vdeane

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 10, 2019, 09:01:17 PM
Quote from: vdeane on May 10, 2019, 08:55:47 PM

Thanks, especially on the northbound routing. Another question I should ask–and Jim strikes me as the person who would know this better than anyone else on this forum–is how long we should plan to spend at the Baseball Hall of Fame. Obviously that'll be a major determinant in where we stop for the night en route to Kingston. (I'm kind of inclined to cross the border during the day solely because Ms1995hoo has only passed through the Thousand Islands once, in 2006 on our way home from Mont-Tremblant and Ottawa, so a day crossing allows for looking around.)
There's a tower that allows for some nice views just past customs.  They also do currency exchange and apparently sell ice creme too.
http://1000islandstower.com/
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

Yeah, it's funny, I've seen the tower (passed through there three times–1984, 1986, and 2006) but have never stopped. Might depend on the weather and the timing. I'll skip currency exchange because one of the banks we use has a no-fee deal with Scotiabank for ATM access.

1995hoo

Thanks again for the tips. After some research I booked a Hampton in Schenectady primarily because I get extra Hilton points based on my status in their program (plus there's that I-88 clinch). I think we'll use the US-20 route a couple of you suggested. Might go down one side of the lake into Cooperstown and then up the other side on the way out.

The night after that.....ehhhh. No Hilton properties in Kingston. Watertown and Fort Drum might be too short a drive, but Napanee looks unnecessarily far. Might wait to book anything until I see what time it is when we're ready to leave Cooperstown and then decide based on that.

1995hoo

Follow-up to my last post: Any dinner recommendations in downtown Schenectady?

vdeane

I'm not particularly familiar with downtown Schenectady cuisine, but if you don't mind going across the river into Scotia, Jumping Jacks is always good.

Jim

Of course Jumpin Jacks is an excellent choice if you're looking for the outdoor experience.  Just be ready with your order when called or the locals will know you're not one of us.

But Schenectady has a lot of good options.   Tons of Italian options including Johnny's downtown and Cornell's on Jay.  Great sandwiches from Gershon's on Upper Union.   I like Morrette's steak sandwiches on Erie.

1995hoo

Thanks to both of you. I'll look up those places.

Looks like Johnny's is across the street (more or less) from the hotel, which might be ideal.

Jim

I'd say Johnny's for dinner then across the river to Jumpin Jacks for ice cream.

1995hoo

Quote from: Jim on June 04, 2019, 11:08:48 AM
I'd say Johnny's for dinner then across the river to Jumpin Jacks for ice cream.

Thanks. May depend on whether the missus is willing to get back in the car, too, although I see it's only a mile and a half.

Mapmikey

Consider Brooks BBQ in Oneonta either to eat there or carryout to eat at hotel...it's good enough that I go specifically there most summers for one of my 17-hr U-turn rides...

Easy to get to from I-88 via exit 16...

US 219 is pretty decent except for between I-80 and Ebensburg which is a little windier.  But using I-80 east you can head towards State College and Harrisburg to get back to the DC area...

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 09, 2019, 09:08:19 PM
(2) After leaving the Baseball Hall of Fame, any recommendations for an interesting route north to the Thousand Islands Bridge? As noted above, I've clinched I-81, plus most of it is out of the way from Cooperstown, so I was considering some of the state routes north to Fort Drum, then I-781 to I-81 to the bridge.

NY 12 or NY 26 would net you Lewis County, one of NY's most obscure.  :)
Any combination of those two will be significantly shorter mileage-wise than I-81.

I'll probably decide on the route home when we're on the way home. I've been down I-79 to the Pennsylvania Turnpike, and I've been down I-390 to US-15, so I'm leaning towards at least starting down US-219 as far as I-80 and then seeing what the Wife Acceptance Factor is looking like before deciding whether to take 219 all the way to I-68 or instead to cut east on I-80 to I-99.

US 219 starts out as a really nice road south of Buffalo, but then gets progressively worse south of Springville (the Bradford PA freeway segment being the exception). US 6 to I-80 is the worst. I've done the whole thing once and various portions on other occasions, and I'm not jumping to do it again. As with all through roads in PA, there will be plenty of truck traffic as well. Even if you start out in take-it-easy-and-enjoy-the-scenery mode, you will likely be very glad to see I-80.

Also have to decide which bridge to take back to the USA, and that may depend on whether we want to stop at Niagara Falls. Neither of us has been there since the 1980s ... I see the Whirlpool Bridge is NEXUS-only, so that's not an option.

If you do the Falls, then Rainbow is the clear choice. If you don't, I'd recommend Peace ahead of Lewiston given your origin and destination. Also, the southernmost leg of the QEW is a much nicer road, with fewer bumps, less curvature, less traffic and more courteous drivers, than I-190. My disdain for I-190 on Grand Island grows every time I use it (but I'm not sure if you need it for clinching purposes).

Rothman

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 04, 2019, 11:39:38 AM

Thanks. May depend on whether the missus is willing to get back in the car, too, although I see it's only a mile and a half.
Good ice cream is hard to find around the Capital District.  I prefer The Snowman in Troy.

And nowhere around here compares to Flayvors in Hadley, MA, Herrell's in Northampton, MA or Tillamook in Oregon...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

As to webny99's comments about US-219, I guess I'll see what time it is and how long it's taking on that road. I haven't used that area of I-80 and I-99, so that would all be new, but I'd also kind of like to hit the new section of US-219 below Somerset. Won't be able to do both, so I guess I'll see how it looks then.

No idea whether we'll stop in Niagara Falls. I figure we've both been there (though not together) and ridden the boat and all that, so I doubt we'd stop for all that long. Not sure it's worth it other than perhaps the chance to clinch ON-420, then maybe I-290. My Travel Mapping log shows a clinch of I-190 back in August 1986.

When I first read Mapmikey's post I thought to myself that the restaurant must be really close to Binghamton. Then I looked at a map and remembered that New York's stupid exit numbering means the number bears no relation whatsoever to where it is. I had forgotten about that (except as to the Thruway).

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 04, 2019, 06:59:20 PM
No idea whether we'll stop in Niagara Falls. I figure we've both been there (though not together) and ridden the boat and all that, so I doubt we'd stop for all that long. Not sure it's worth it other than perhaps the chance to clinch ON-420, then maybe I-290.

You could clinch I-290 (and ON 405) using the Lewiston Bridge as well. The trade off of doing that vs just taking the Peace Bridge is slightly longer distance and more driving in urban areas. The QEW between Niagara and Fort Erie is very rural in character, I-190 not so much so and I-290 not at all.

1995hoo

Thanks for the recommendation on Johnny's. Very good dinner and a bargain too ($137 with bottle of wine and tip). Ms1995hoo had veal Marsala and I had chicken cognac. Cannolis for dessert. Great stuff, would go there again if we're ever back this way. Neither of us wanted to drive anywhere, so we didn't go for ice cream, but we'd both rather have cannolis than ice cream anyway.

Trip up was mostly an easy drive. Over the Bay Bridge and then up US-301 to Delaware. Nice pleasant drive on the Eastern Shore, no traffic and the cruise control on the whole time. DE-1 and I-95 weren't so nice, but that was to be expected. I-476/Northeast Extension had heavy traffic and a lot of trucks until we passed Allentown, but then it opened up....just in time for dense fog as we reached the tunnel. Stayed that way for a while (stopped for lunch at the last service area), then it varied between sun and spitting rain all the way to Binghamton. I hadn't been all the way up the Northeast Extension before. Much of it is substandard like other roads in Pennsylvania, but it had less traffic than other highways in that state. I'd go that way again. More pleasant than I-81 and more interesting scenery.

I-88 started out nicely with little traffic, but we drove into torrential rain that necessitated slowing to 40 mph. (Stopping for barbecue was not an option because of how hard it was raining.) Then the road became a washboard. Felt like we were driving down a flight of stairs. I got my clinch of I-88. After we go back two exits to get to US-20 tomorrow morning, I don't think I'll feel much need to use that road again unless and until it's resurfaced.

1995hoo

Nice drive from Schenectady to Cooperstown this morning via US-20 to NY-80. Good scenic route. Thanks for recommending that route. Spent around three and a half hours at the Baseball Hall of Fame. Well worth the visit. Scenic town and lake, too; I'd like to spend some more time in the area on a future trip.

From there, NY-28 north to NY-5S west to NY-12 at Utica. Then NY-12 up to Lowville. Staying on NY-12 would have been the most direct route, so instead we continued up NY-26 to US-11, followed by a quick clinch of I-781. Then up I-81 (stopped at the last exit before the bridge to top off the gas tank with cheaper US gas), through Customs, and down 401 to Kingston.

NY-12 was a really nice and pleasant drive, not much traffic and move along quite well even on the two-lane portions. We stopped at a "parking area"  in Lewis County to stretch our legs and lower backs and found these abandoned locks from an old canal that no longer exists. Quite a different thing to see in the middle of what is, at that point, a four-lane highway.

kevinb1994

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 21, 2019, 10:46:36 PM
Nice drive from Schenectady to Cooperstown this morning via US-20 to NY-80. Good scenic route. Thanks for recommending that route. Spent around three and a half hours at the Baseball Hall of Fame. Well worth the visit. Scenic town and lake, too; I'd like to spend some more time in the area on a future trip.

From there, NY-28 north to NY-5S west to NY-12 at Utica. Then NY-12 up to Lowville. Staying on NY-12 would have been the most direct route, so instead we continued up NY-26 to US-11, followed by a quick clinch of I-781. Then up I-81 (stopped at the last exit before the bridge to top off the gas tank with cheaper US gas), through Customs, and down 401 to Kingston.

NY-12 was a really nice and pleasant drive, not much traffic and move along quite well even on the two-lane portions. We stopped at a "parking area"  in Lewis County to stretch our legs and lower backs and found these abandoned locks from an old canal that no longer exists. Quite a different thing to see in the middle of what is, at that point, a four-lane highway.

That canal you mentioned was a spur of the Erie Canal to and from the Black River. It was simply known as the Black River Canal. It connected Carthage with Rome.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.