News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Keystone Clinching

Started by Mapmikey, May 11, 2015, 07:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Took an 18.5 hr ride on Saturday covering about 900 miles...

Drove 95/495/270 to Frederick.  The inner loop toll at 4:15 a.m. on a Saturday is $2.10.  I got off I-70 and used MD 17 north.  MD 17 north of US 40 is very antiquated...numerous tight turns.  The Washington County portion (not primary) is no better, with very undulating roadway coming down the mountain.  Took MD 66/PA 997 to Waynesboro PA.  On PA 16 there is a square narrow PA 316 shield.  Not sure I've seen a square shield for a 3-digit state highway in PA before.  Followed PA 16 to US 522 to US 30 to Breezewood.  There are still small state-named I-70 and I-76 shields from US 30 WB.

Drove I-76 east to I-176 with a brief pit stop at the I-283/PA 283 area.  Found a small PA TPK cutout shield on PA 283 WB on the overpass of I-283.  Not sure how many of these small shields are left (https://goo.gl/maps/pRjQp).  At Reading I traversed the city on both US 222 Business and US 422 Business.  There is a US 724 TRUCK shield on PA 625 at 222 bus. US 422 Bus in West Reading has a very beautiful tree canopy of birch trees over several blocks.  Downtown Reading also has a few old button copy signs.

Drove PA 61 northwest to US 11-15.  PA 61 was being torn up in places, needed to be torn up in a lot of others, and goes through a lot of towns, so it was not an efficient drive.  But I did get to see Centralia, which has the street grid intact but very few structures remaining.  I saw one occupied house on the west edge of town.  A lot of people were parked at one end of the closed section of PA 61...I guess it is a popular hike on the old road.  in nearby Mt. Carmel, I found this sign: https://goo.gl/maps/4C7Iq  I don't believe I've ever seen a subdivision/neighborhood sign in a state highway shield anywhere before.

I drove US 11 northeast to PA 309, where there are a couple state-named I-81 shields, then used I-476 south to I-80 west to US 220 ALT south to I-99 south so that I could go to a restaurant in Altoona.  Then I headed home on all freeways.  US 220 ALT is not posted from I-80 WB, although US 220 ALT NORTH is posted from I-80 EB.

Routes clinched:  MD 17; PA 16; I-76; PA 283; I-176, US 222 Bus; US 422 Bus Reading, PA 61, US 220 ALT
New mileage: US 30 (Breezewood to US 522); US 11 (PA 147 to PA 309); I-476 (I-80 to PA 315); I-80 (US 220 Loch Haven to I-476)

Mapmikey

wphiii

I find those coal country towns fascinating. Built so densely for being in the middle of nowhere, juxtaposed with how empty they feel now is jarring.

leroys73

I saw "Keystone Clinching" and I thought you were grabbing one of those the cheap brand of Coors beer.  Sorry

Sounds like a very fun trip and a lot of asphalt covered.  Neat country.

I was up that way last September and will up there again in a few days.  Love those not so traveled roads. Unfortunately we will be on a bit of a time schedule so we will have to do the super slabs most of the time.
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Mapmikey on May 11, 2015, 07:35:53 AM
Drove PA 61 northwest to US 11-15.  PA 61 was being torn up in places, needed to be torn up in a lot of others, and goes through a lot of towns, so it was not an efficient drive.  But I did get to see Centralia, which has the street grid intact but very few structures remaining.  I saw one occupied house on the west edge of town.  A lot of people were parked at one end of the closed section of PA 61...I guess it is a popular hike on the old road.  in nearby Mt. Carmel, I found this sign: https://goo.gl/maps/4C7Iq  I don't believe I've ever seen a subdivision/neighborhood sign in a state highway shield anywhere before.
That's a nice ride up 61, with all the old coal towns.  I've done that twice.  We've been talking about going to Knoebels Grove amusement park in that area, so I'll get to pass through Centralia again...

Mapmikey

Compared to most towns in the Carolinas and Virginia, Pennsylvania towns do seem really dense.

What I notice these days is that a lot of Penna towns could use an economic boost...

Mapmikey

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.