News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Palmetto Parkway (I-520)

Started by Alex, February 09, 2009, 11:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

According to the Palmetto Parkway website, the extended Interstate 520 shall be completed by July 2009.

Alex

Update on the Palmetto Parkway:

Part of I-20 will be closed Monday

Team United, the contractor constructing phase two of the Palmetto Parkway (I-520) in North Augusta, has begun the demolition of the existing US-25 bridges that cross over I-20 at exit 5.

Beginning Monday, the section of westbound I-20 that crosses under the bridges will be closed from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. The westbound traffic will be detoured around this section of I-20 utilizing the newly opened ramps at exit 5.

Once the demolition work over the westbound side of I-20 is complete, this activity will continue on the eastbound side of I-20.

Revive 755

I'm lacking local knowledge, but it seems there are a couple flaws with the design of the I-20/Palmetto Parkway/US 25 interchange.  Map for reference:
http://www.palmettoparkway.org/pdfs/I20%20Interchange.pdf

1) As long as they have the ROW, the interchange with US 25 should become a partial cloverleaf instead of a diamond.

2) Seems there should be access between the Palmetto Parkway and NB US 25, and the same for SB US 25 to SB Palmetto Parkway.

Alex

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/2009/06/20/met_528252.shtml

Palmetto Parkway section could open early
Palmetto Parkway will make way for growth

Saturday, June 20, 2009

The newest section of the Palmetto Parkway could open two months earlier than the Dec. 31 deadline.

Project manager Alan Wertz, of U.S. Constructors, shared the early progress with more than 30 members of the Greater North Augusta Chamber of Commerce as they toured the new section Friday.

The six-mile stretch from U.S. Highway 1 to Interstate 20 at Exit 5 includes four new interchanges, a new connector road to U.S. Highway 25 and the realignment of 10 existing roads, Mr. Wertz said.

The project opens thousands of acres to potential development, said Skip Grkovic, the director of Economic and Community Development for North Augusta. And the earlier opening could mean businesses moving in sooner.

The greatest potential for development is at the Exit 5 interchange, but nothing specific is planned, said Mr. Grkovic. He said he expects much of it to be "regional-commerical."

"One of the things the city would like to get is industrial businesses," Mr. Grkovic said.

The project will also move industrial traffic off of the main arteries, including U.S. 25. Mr. Grkovic said trucks account for about 15 percent of the traffic on Knox Avenue.

Moving that traffic, however, should not negatively affect businesses in the heart of the city, Mr. Grkovic said.

Mr. Grkovic said the city is aware of the potential that more development around the parkway could create a "North North Augusta" and a "South North Augusta."

"(The city council) has planned for that to make sure there's a balance between the two areas," he said. One example includes developing major shopping centers at the intersection of Knox Avenue and Martintown Road as the commercial center of town.

Chamber President Brian Tucker organized the tour after several members expressed a curiosity about the project.

He said the completion of Interstate 520 will create more than possible new development. He believes it will help create the sense that Augusta and North Augusta are one area.

"We're not just North Augusta. We're not just Augusta," he said.

PARKWAY INTERCHANGES

AT U.S. HIGHWAY 1, EXIT 17: Interchanges will be in a diamond pattern, with a direct exit or entrance ramp for each direction. A loop will allow access from U.S. 1 to Interstate 520 South.

AT BELVEDERE-CLEARWATER ROAD, EXIT 21: Exits will be a diamond pattern. Belvedere-Clearwater road will eventually be widened to four lanes from the interchange to U.S. Highway 25. The mile and a half between the interchange and U.S. 1 will remain two lanes. "That's going to be a significant problem that will need to be addressed in the future," Mr. Grkovic said.

AT EXIT 22: A connector road was created south of Ascauga Lake Road to provide access to U.S. 25.

AT I-20: Exits were rebuilt to allow drivers to merge from Palmetto Parkway without stopping. The section of U.S. 25 was widened from the connector road to the area in front of Food Lion north of Interstate 20.

njroadhorse

Would the I-520 be renumbered once this is done, as it would violate the terms of an odd 3di.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

florida

Quote from: njroadhorse on June 22, 2009, 02:52:26 PM
Would the I-520 be renumbered once this is done, as it would violate the terms of an odd 3di.

Considering the new I-376 extension in Pittsburgh, they probably won't change it.
So many roads...so little time.

Alex

They do not intend on renumbering it, but I can see AASHTO questioning it.

mightyace

Quote from: florida on June 22, 2009, 03:09:42 PM
Quote from: njroadhorse on June 22, 2009, 02:52:26 PM

Considering the new I-376 extension in Pittsburgh, they probably won't change it.

But, the I-376 extension designation was written into law so AASHTO has their hands tied there.  I don't know about this case, though.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alex

We just noticed that Carter's photo is the backdrop for their Palmetto Parkway graphic...

http://www.nbcaugusta.com/news/topstories/48958271.html

Palmetto Parkway making progress

Story Published: Jun 23, 2009 at 11:55 PM EDT

Story Updated: Jun 23, 2009 at 11:55 PM EDT

NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. - A grand opening that will change the routines of many Georgia-Carolina drivers is just months away.

As it stands right now, the South Carolina side of I-520 should be done this October. Officials say that's about two months ahead of schedule.

"This project goes back 20 or 30 years at this point," said Brian Tucker, the director of North Augusta's Chamber of Commerce.

He says he's excited about the project, and its possibilities for North Augusta.

"There are three areas with economic development potential he said, listing Highway 1, Highway 25 and I-20.

Tucker says there's another plus. The new road will mean the end to a big annoyance.

"A lot of traffic that will be diverted is large truck traffic," he said.

He also says the route will create more business development.

http://metrospirit.com/index.php?cat=1993101074452415&ShowArticle_ID=11013006090702168

Issue #20.49 :: 07/01/2009 - 07/07/2009
Palmetto pavement

BY ERIC JOHNSON

AIKEN COUNTY, SC / AUGUSTA, GA - Call it Carolina Pride or sour grapes, but on a recent tour of the Palmetto Parkway sponsored by the North Augusta Chamber of Commerce, director of economic and community development Skip Grkovic couldn't pass up the chance to lob a zinger across the river.

"It's all I-520, but on the Georgia side it's called the Bobby Jones Expressway and on the South Carolina side it's called the Palmetto Parkway,"  he said. "When Phase One was under construction, we concluded that we didn't want to name a road in South Carolina after an amateur golfer from Georgia."

Thus, the Palmetto Parkway was born.

The six-mile stretch, which could possibly come in under budget and ahead of schedule, has the potential to open up thousands of acres for development.

It wasn't always ahead of schedule, however. Originally conceived in the late 60s, Georgia worked on their side much faster than South Carolina – so much so that the federal government, not wanting the embarrassment of a road leading nowhere, refused to fund the final section of the Bobby Jones Expressway until South Carolina provided the right of way on their side of the river.

One of the more interesting features is the bike trail that runs alongside the new road, which should be open in October.

Though not immediately connected to the existing Greenway, Grkovic says the plan is to eventually connect the two, forming one destination-style trail.

Chris

So the Palmetto Parkway will complete the I-520 from I-20 in Augusta to I-20 in North Augusta? A complete beltway? (from I-20 to I-20)

74/171FAN

Quote from: Chris on July 04, 2009, 05:03:00 PM
So the Palmetto Parkway will complete the I-520 from I-20 in Augusta to I-20 in North Augusta? A complete beltway? (from I-20 to I-20)
Not a complete beltway but a loop from I-20 to I-20
Anyway I-385 could be widened from 4 to 6 lanes soon from I-185 to I-85 and Woodruff Rd  http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20090715/NEWS/907150336/1186/YOURUPSTATE
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

thomasvista

Quote from: Chris on July 04, 2009, 05:03:00 PM

The Palmetto Parkway sounds too much like the Palmetto Expressway........ :-P

Alex

Palmetto Parkway Project Nearing Completion

Quotecrews tell us, they expect to beat their December 31st deadline to open the parkway.

All that's left to do on the new span of I-520 is a little painting, a few guardrails, and a little paving. Highway 25 work is still underway...that area is going from four to six lanes.

Alex

Palmetto Parkway set to be complete soon

QuoteThe new portion of the highway is a more than a 6-mile stretch of Interstate 520 from US 1 in North Augusta to Interstate 20.

26 News has learned the beltway is expected to be finished by Dec. 31. The Palmetto Parkway will also have a connecting road to US 25.

rickmastfan67

Bryant5493

Be well,

Bryant

Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Alex

Quote from: Bryant5493 on January 08, 2010, 12:37:53 PM
I-520 (video)

Be well,

Bryant

Looks like Interstate 520 extends just north of its west end at I-20 based upon the signage and interchange you videotaped. Nice to see that they used concrete in the interchange upgrade project and on the newest section of the Palmetto Parkway too.

Bryant5493

^^ Yeah, that concrete will do good to handle the heavy truck traffic I'm sure Palmetto Parkway will have.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.