News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-95 and New Jersey Turnpike 1964

Started by ssummers72, April 03, 2024, 12:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssummers72

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for the study for the "North Jersey Expressway" from 1964 from the New Jersey Highway Dept. and the Turnpike Authority from the following website:

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/njfreeways/Interstate_95_Gap_Map0.html

A pdf version of the study that would be great.

Thanks again.
Stephan

The Ghostbuster

Could anyone imagine what New Jersey would be like if even a small portion of what was proposed had been constructed? Would the Interstate 95 alignments have relieved congestion on surrounding roads if any of them had been built?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 03, 2024, 01:59:14 PMCould anyone imagine what New Jersey would be like if even a small portion of what was proposed had been constructed? Would the Interstate 95 alignments have relieved congestion on surrounding roads if any of them had been built?

Could it have enticed more to live in the area, adding to the congestion on local roads?

Mr. Matté

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 03, 2024, 01:59:14 PMCould anyone imagine what New Jersey would be like if even a small portion of what was proposed had been constructed? Would the Interstate 95 alignments have relieved congestion on surrounding roads if any of them had been built?

Part of the US 206 Bypass of Hillsborough is on old Somerset Freeway ROW, doesn't seem to have done a whole lot.

storm2k

Quote from: Mr. Matté on April 03, 2024, 07:04:51 PM

Part of the US 206 Bypass of Hillsborough is on old Somerset Freeway ROW, doesn't seem to have done a whole lot.

Because for now, it's worthless. You go back to two laned roads north and south of there. Hopefully if they ever get all the construction from Brown Ave to the bypass done and it's four lanes all the way from the circle to there, it might help. Whole roadway needs to be 4-laned down to Princeton, and never will be.

froggie

Quote from: storm2k on April 05, 2024, 08:01:32 PM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on April 03, 2024, 07:04:51 PM

Because for now, it's worthless. You go back to two laned roads north and south of there. Hopefully if they ever get all the construction from Brown Ave to the bypass done and it's four lanes all the way from the circle to there, it might help. Whole roadway needs to be 4-laned down to Princeton, and never will be.

I'd disagree on it being worthless.  I've found it useful to avoid the bulk of Hillsborough when heading to my cousin's in Hopewell.  And only 2 intermediate signals vice 7 along the old route.

Alex

Ray is on the forum, but has not logged in for awhile. I'll message him about that document.

famartin

Quote from: ssummers72 on April 03, 2024, 12:32:28 PMHello Everyone,

I am looking for the study for the "North Jersey Expressway" from 1964 from the New Jersey Highway Dept. and the Turnpike Authority from the following website:

Thanks again.
Stephan

Hi,

Alex Nitzman, the admin, alerted me to this thread since I haven't been visiting the forums lately.

The document was found within the DEIS for the "Somerset Freeway" portion, published around 1979 I believe. The copy I had access too was found at the Library of Science and Medicine at Rutgers University. I was still a student at the time, so I don't know how much public access exists as I haven't visited the library in over 20 years. Do keep in mind that the portion I had dubbed the "North Jersey Expressway" was never anything more than a line on a map, as were most of those. Basically, ideas tossed around for a bit. I don't think much ever came of it, and it was abandoned pretty quickly after it was suggested.

storm2k

Quote from: famartin on April 07, 2024, 04:58:47 PM

Thanks again.
Stephan

Hi,

Alex Nitzman, the admin, alerted me to this thread since I haven't been visiting the forums lately.

The document was found within the DEIS for the "Somerset Freeway" portion, published around 1979 I believe. The copy I had access too was found at the Library of Science and Medicine at Rutgers University. I was still a student at the time, so I don't know how much public access exists as I haven't visited the library in over 20 years. Do keep in mind that the portion I had dubbed the "North Jersey Expressway" was never anything more than a line on a map, as were most of those. Basically, ideas tossed around for a bit. I don't think much ever came of it, and it was abandoned pretty quickly after it was suggested.

I have alumni access to Rutgers Libraries. If I have a chance, I may try and find it.

ssummers72

Thanks for all of the feedback on the study. Storm2k, let me know if you have any luck at Rutgers University Library (if you have a chance) for the Somerset Freeway DEIS.

DJStephens

One of the first two scenarios is what should have been built.  A straight shot, going straight through Levittown and Trenton.  Direct and efficient.  The Scudders Falls alignment, and the Somerset proposals were neither.    The former US - 1 sunken alignment in Trenton could have been widened, straightened, and improved, for eight lanes.  Meaning back then, not now.  Real estate was incredibly cheap back then.  A straight shot, following the RR to meet the NJT at New Brunswick.   Would have made it a W branch of the turnpike, so toll revenue could have actually increased for the authority.   Would never have attempted to propose, or construct any new terrain 95 alignment north of New Brunswick.  The NJT was already in place.
Have to wonder, why that was never considered, simply making the I-95 alignment, south of New Brunswick,  a West Branch of the turnpike.   

jeffandnicole

Quote from: DJStephens on April 21, 2024, 10:14:31 PM

One of the first two scenarios is what should have been built.  A straight shot, going straight through Levittown and Trenton.  Direct and efficient.  The Scudders Falls alignment, and the Somerset proposals were neither.    The former US - 1 sunken alignment in Trenton could have been widened, straightened, and improved, for eight lanes.  Meaning back then, not now.  Real estate was incredibly cheap back then...

Back then when this was proposed, very few Interstates had 6 lanes or were proposed to be 6 lanes wide. They would have had no foresight to make this 8 lanes thru the area, especially considering PA'S section of 95 was only 4 lanes, and even the NJ Turnpike was no more than 4 or 6 lanes wide at this time.

NJRoadfan

It still amazes me that PA built part of I-95 as only 4 lanes. Its one of the busiest transportation corridors in the world (NYC<->Philly), eh, 4 lanes is enough! Maybe they knew I-95 wasn't going to be completed as planned.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.