News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

San Antonio to The Woodlands, Tx.

Started by jander, December 24, 2013, 01:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jander

Planning on taking I-10 to Sequin, and then grabbing Alt-90 into Houston.  Is there anywhere that is a "must see" along the route?

The girlfriend is on a "I want a rocket ship" kick, are there any junkyards, antique type shops along the route?  should we detour to see some small townie-town off the main road? 

Anything in general you can tell me about the route?

US81

I haven't been down Alt 90 in several years. The Old Seguin-Luling road is (or at least used to be) a fun, historic "country lane" detour (branches off Alt 90 a few miles east of Seguin) that doesn't go too far out of the way. Palmetto SP would be worth a detour during summer months, but I doubt it would be now, especially with the recent freezing weather. It's a little "island" of SC-GA-MS ecology, also with lots of structures from the CCC era. From a road-geek viewpoint, Alt 90 multiplexes with Alt 77 at Hallettsville, so that's sorta cool. There's always the brewery in Shiner. Not a big "antique-er", but have bought some fun "kitch" in Luling (along 90) and think Gonzales, Shiner and Hallettsville ought to be good candidates to have fun stuff of this nature to buy.

Have a fun trip, and tell us about it after you get back.

TXtoNJ

Quote from: jander on December 24, 2013, 01:22:50 AM
Planning on taking I-10 to Sequin, and then grabbing Alt-90 into Houston.  Is there anywhere that is a "must see" along the route?

The girlfriend is on a "I want a rocket ship" kick, are there any junkyards, antique type shops along the route?  should we detour to see some small townie-town off the main road? 

Anything in general you can tell me about the route?

Starting today? Not very scenic. Mid-March through April? Extremely scenic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.