News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Dallas to Ft Walton Bch.

Started by waymag, February 23, 2016, 02:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waymag

Good afternoon all, I am heading to Ft Walton Beach in a few weeks and wanted some input on what you guys feel is the best route. I have done this trip maybe twenty times times but I have not taken the I-49 route in a long time. I have taken US 49 south out of Jackson MS and then east on US 98 in Hattiesburg quite a few times and wonder if I am really saving anytime when you consider all the traffic lights and going from 4 lanes down to 2 when entering Alabama. The last 2 times we went this route it was a nightmare between Wilmer and Mobile. Should I continue this route or use I-49 for a better way?
Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels!!!

Alex

Quote from: waymag on February 23, 2016, 02:49:24 PM
Good afternoon all, I am heading to Ft Walton Beach in a few weeks and wanted some input on what you guys feel is the best route. I have done this trip maybe twenty times times but I have not taken the I-49 route in a long time. I have taken US 49 south out of Jackson MS and then east on US 98 in Hattiesburg quite a few times and wonder if I am really saving anytime when you consider all the traffic lights and going from 4 lanes down to 2 when entering Alabama. The last 2 times we went this route it was a nightmare between Wilmer and Mobile. Should I continue this route or use I-49 for a better way?

One potential issue with taking the I-49 route is the traffic possibility through Baton Rouge. But with that said, I've done both routes, and while the US 98/US 49 route is 30 miles shorter, the stretch along Moffett Road through Mobile and Semmes can be a slugfest and several new traffic lights were added to the US 49 corridor between Jackson and Hattiesburg over the years. If you time your trip to do it overnight, you will offset the traffic, but a slow moving semi or signals turning red are still potential issues along U.S. 98.

My last trip through Semmes was in November and I noticed back-ups unlike any I've encountered before at the signal with CR 27/68. I ended up opting for CR 27 north to Spice Pond Road Extension east to AL 217 (Lott Road) south to CR 31 (Schillinger Road) north to AL 158 east to I-65 to avoid the remainder of Moffett Road. That can help, but you will have to go through Wilmer and Fairview.

waymag

Alex thank you for your help!! I will be making this trip on a Saturday so hopefully traffic would not be bad in Baton Rouge. Back in the early 90's I have taken I-20 to I-55 and down. That was a beating!!!
Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels!!!

Alex

Quote from: waymag on February 23, 2016, 03:36:20 PM
Alex thank you for your help!! I will be making this trip on a Saturday so hopefully traffic would not be bad in Baton Rouge. Back in the early 90's I have taken I-20 to I-55 and down. That was a beating!!!

If you plan on taking Florida 87 south from I-10 to US 98 at Navarre, it is under construction through Eglin now with a reduced speed limit. They are four-laning more of the route.

I-10 is also under construction at U.S. 90 (Scenic Highway) in Pensacola and from Escambia Bay east to FL 281 (Exit 22). They are expanding both stretches to six lanes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.