News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Toys 'R' Us to file bankruptcy

Started by LM117, September 18, 2017, 08:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderer2575

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 17, 2018, 08:10:16 PM
There's a story, probably untrue, that Nordstrom once accepted a return of some car tires, even though they don't sell them, because of their generous return policy. I doubt it's true, but everyone who works at Nordstrom knows the story. I had to exchange some shirts there a few weeks ago (with a receipt) and the salesman said none of them know whether that story is true.

I don't know about that one, but there's a TRUE story of a woman who returned a dead Christmas tree to Costco -- in January.  And Costco refunded her money.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/10/woman-returns-dead-christmas-tree-to-costco-in-january/

freebrickproductions

Quote from: formulanone on March 18, 2018, 01:19:55 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 17, 2018, 08:10:16 PM
There’s a story, probably untrue, that Nordstrom once accepted a return of some car tires, even though they don’t sell them, because of their generous return policy. I doubt it’s true, but everyone who works at Nordstrom knows the story. I had to exchange some shirts there a few weeks ago (with a receipt) and the salesman said none of them know whether that story is true.

Like Nordstrom's, Publix Supermarkets had a no-questions-asked policy. Their guarantee of "satisfaction guaranteed until the food is eaten and enjoyed" was iron-clad; on rare occasions, people would literally return half-eaten food or empty containers and successfully get a refund. People would also clean out their pantries and return old/expired canned or boxed goods for a refund, and they'd do the same. If the item's bar code scanned, you could return it. Having been away from them for over 20 years, I couldn't tell you if they still do it.
Want to say that's still the policy. I've had to put a few items of food that were quite obviously returned after having been gotten into in with the damages in the back. Haven't heard of the latter happening, but it may just be a rare thing (or there could've been a change in policy).
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

abefroman329

IKEA's return policy used to be so generous that I once bought a lamp, broke the lamp cover while putting it together, brought everything back to the store with the receipt, and had the option of exchanging it for another lamp or getting a full refund.  This was 15 years ago, and I doubt their exchange policy is nearly that generous nowadays.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 20, 2018, 11:20:18 AM
IKEA's return policy used to be so generous that I once bought a lamp, broke the lamp cover while putting it together, brought everything back to the store with the receipt, and had the option of exchanging it for another lamp or getting a full refund.  This was 15 years ago, and I doubt their exchange policy is nearly that generous nowadays.

Actually, I believe it's more generous.  Today's return policy permits returns up to 365 days after original purchase.  It used to be 90 days.

The key with Ikea though - you MUST have the receipt.  They will not honor any returns without it, or a copy of it.  A few years back I bought an Ikea Kitchen (and few thousand dollars of other stuff).  I never had a problem returning anything - even getting some missing screws and other stuff - as long as I had the receipt.  Because the kitchen stuff is warrantied for 25 years, the employees warned me about the issues of the receipt print fading away.  They constantly recommended scanning the receipts so that if I have a problem years from now, the scanned copy will still be acceptable proof of purchase.

US71

Quote from: tchafe1978 on March 18, 2018, 09:17:59 PM
I work at Walmart and if you return an item without a receipt, you get the price the item currently scans at. So if the item has gone on clearance, but you bought it at full price, you get the clearance price back, most likely on a gift card. Walmart no longer gives cash back for no receipt returns. If you had your receipt you'd get back the price you paid and would have the option of getting cash or a refund to the original method of payment. Too many people try to get away with stuff. All electronics items get checked by an associate from the department to make sure all parts are there, especially if the box has been opened. If all the parts aren't there the return is typically denied.

I've also noticed Wal-Mart limits the number of returns by an individual. I'm not sure of the number, but more than X returns in a 6-month period they will supposedly refuse the return.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

TXtoNJ

Quote from: english si on March 17, 2018, 08:47:43 AM
Quote from: TXtoNJ on March 16, 2018, 10:00:30 AMTheir market could drive, though - it's parents, not kids.
Which is why all the toy adverts are during the news, or NCIS, or whatever and not all the time on channels like Disney, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, etc ;)

Yes the parents pay (especially with younger kids), but the kids are the ones who want to go there, and the parents can much easier say 'no' if it is a specific drive, rather than right next to somewhere else where they go regularly - or even in the same shop (eg Walmart).

You advertise to the kids because they will annoy their parents into purchasing. Cynical, but effective - kids have far fewer psychological defenses against advertising manipulation.

It's easier for a parent to say "we're not going" if they simply do not like being at Toys R Us, and can get the same toy at Walmart with less avoidable hassle.

tchafe1978

Quote from: US71 on March 20, 2018, 12:45:07 PM
Quote from: tchafe1978 on March 18, 2018, 09:17:59 PM
I work at Walmart and if you return an item without a receipt, you get the price the item currently scans at. So if the item has gone on clearance, but you bought it at full price, you get the clearance price back, most likely on a gift card. Walmart no longer gives cash back for no receipt returns. If you had your receipt you'd get back the price you paid and would have the option of getting cash or a refund to the original method of payment. Too many people try to get away with stuff. All electronics items get checked by an associate from the department to make sure all parts are there, especially if the box has been opened. If all the parts aren't there the return is typically denied.

I've also noticed Wal-Mart limits the number of returns by an individual. I'm not sure of the number, but more than X returns in a 6-month period they will supposedly refuse the return.

I'm not aware of a policy limiting returns with a receipt, but returns without a receipt there is definitely a limit. Not sure of the exact limit, but that's why we take you driver's license number if you do a return without a receipt, so the system can track the number or returns you've done and can deny them after the limit is reached.

1995hoo

Quote from: TXtoNJ on March 20, 2018, 02:42:48 PM
Quote from: english si on March 17, 2018, 08:47:43 AM
Quote from: TXtoNJ on March 16, 2018, 10:00:30 AMTheir market could drive, though - it's parents, not kids.
Which is why all the toy adverts are during the news, or NCIS, or whatever and not all the time on channels like Disney, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, etc ;)

Yes the parents pay (especially with younger kids), but the kids are the ones who want to go there, and the parents can much easier say 'no' if it is a specific drive, rather than right next to somewhere else where they go regularly - or even in the same shop (eg Walmart).

You advertise to the kids because they will annoy their parents into purchasing. Cynical, but effective - kids have far fewer psychological defenses against advertising manipulation.

Heh. Your comment immediately made me think of this episode:

http://youtu.be/bi2TkDTXQMs
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Big John

vdeane

I think I recall reading somewhere that Amazon will ban people who return/exchange too many items.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

I don't have a problem with places limiting returns. Returns should really only be done if there is something wrong with the item (defective) or it doesn't serve the purpose the customer had in mind. Either of those should be known soon after purchase. Returning something that I used extensively feels wrong, even if the company allows it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 21, 2018, 05:42:56 PM
Returning something that I used extensively feels wrong, even if the company allows it.

What if it's something that doesn't lose value over time or with use?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Scott5114

I can't think of something that you could buy in a typical retail context for which that would be true.

Anything I can think of that would, I would be reselling to someone else.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

abefroman329

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 20, 2018, 12:27:43 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on March 20, 2018, 11:20:18 AM

Actually, I believe it's more generous.  Today's return policy permits returns up to 365 days after original purchase.  It used to be 90 days.

The key with Ikea though - you MUST have the receipt.  They will not honor any returns without it, or a copy of it.  A few years back I bought an Ikea Kitchen (and few thousand dollars of other stuff).  I never had a problem returning anything - even getting some missing screws and other stuff - as long as I had the receipt.  Because the kitchen stuff is warrantied for 25 years, the employees warned me about the issues of the receipt print fading away.  They constantly recommended scanning the receipts so that if I have a problem years from now, the scanned copy will still be acceptable proof of purchase.

Yeah, we also tried returning a futon several years after it had been purchased, but without a receipt, and they sent us packing.

bing101

hotdogPi

Every year for the past 7-9 years (not exactly sure how many), I have been playing Christmas songs on my viola to raise money for Toys for Tots. I average about $800 per year, and I go to Toys Я Us to buy the toys.

I won't be able to do that this year if they're closing (and I don't know of any competitors in this area).
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Brandon

Quote from: bing101 on March 22, 2018, 03:31:43 PM
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2018/03/22/toys-r-us-founder-charles-lazarus-dies/

Update the founding leader of Toys R US has died.

Oddly coincidental timing giving the demise of the company he founded.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kkt

Aww.  At least his company outlived him.

spooky

Quote from: 1 on March 22, 2018, 03:34:34 PM
Every year for the past 7-9 years (not exactly sure how many), I have been playing Christmas songs on my viola to raise money for Toys for Tots. I average about $800 per year, and I go to Toys Я Us to buy the toys.

I won't be able to do that this year if they're closing (and I don't know of any competitors in this area).

Target and Walmart both sell toys.

abefroman329

Quote from: spooky on March 23, 2018, 06:53:28 AM

Yeah, any big-box retailer sells toys at Christmastime.  There's also Amazon.

kkt

I'm surprised and pleased that Mr. Mopp's toys in Berkeley is still around.  They're a single store, ownership has changed but still doing well and crowded.  My mom would take me there are buy toys when I was a little kid.

US71

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 26, 2018, 03:08:58 PM

If you order enough stuff, Amazon pays for shipping. Personally, I prefer "brick and mortar" stores.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

abefroman329

Quote from: US71 on March 26, 2018, 05:06:29 PM

If you order enough stuff, Amazon pays for shipping. Personally, I prefer "brick and mortar" stores.

I think they'd be better for purchasing toys, especially if you're unfamiliar with the toys.

PHLBOS

Since Amazon doesn't have storefronts per say; one can't play the viola to raise money for Toys for Tots in front of Amazon.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

abefroman329

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 27, 2018, 11:56:49 AM

Since Amazon doesn't have storefronts per say; one can't play the viola to raise money for Toys for Tots in front of Amazon.

Ah, so OP plays the viola outside TRU and then goes in to buy toys with the money they raise.  Yes, that would be very difficult to do with an e-retailer.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.