News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Windows 7 House Party!

Started by Hellfighter, September 22, 2009, 03:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hellfighter

Woohoo! I got selected as one of the few who will host a Windows 7 House Party! I have invited 9 people so far, others to come. They'll be food, drink, and maybe even alcohol! A whole bunch of geeks getting together, and the best parts, I got a free copy of Windows 7 Ultimate and Balloons! If you live in the Detroit area, and want to come celebrate Windows 7, please PM me.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

is it only almost as bad as XP, or is it worse again?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

rickmastfan67

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 24, 2009, 02:32:26 AM
is it only almost as bad as XP, or is it worse again?

I've been testing the Beta/RC and it seems to be much faster than XP.  And this is on the same computer since I partition my HD to test it.

Alps

My XP has been about as fast as I could ever hope a computer to be.  I just want Windows 7 to be as good as XP was and not try to ruin everything like Vista did.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: AlpsROADS on September 24, 2009, 09:19:58 PM
My XP has been about as fast as I could ever hope a computer to be.  I just want Windows 7 to be as good as XP was and not try to ruin everything like Vista did.

Well, it seems to be good as, if not better than XP.  All you need to do is learn the new interface, but that only took me about 1-2 hours to get down pat.

vdeane

Even 1-2 hours is too much for normal people.  Thankfully 7 has enough positive perception to overcome that.

Vista wasn't that bad, provided it was gotten with a new PC that didn't have deficient specs (I'm looking at you, Intel).  But the negative perception from people upgrading that shouldn't have and beta reviews overcame the positive.  Actually, the ONLY time Windows should be updated without a new PC (in the history of Windows) is if you really, really need a feature from the new version and don't need a new PC (doubtful) or if you're upgrading Vista to 7 (due to the lower amount of under-the-hood differences between the two and any other Windows versions).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mr_Northside

I've been running 7 for months now.  I like it.  I've liked XP, but I figure it's time to move on.
(When I was able to get 4 gigs of RAM from Newegg for only $25 (after rebate), I needed a 64-bit OS to use it all, and luckily the beta had just been released, so I did it up.  I pre-ordered Win 7 when they had the $50 offer a couple months back)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Mr_Northside on September 25, 2009, 12:00:35 PM
I've been running 7 for months now.  I like it.  I've liked XP, but I figure it's time to move on.
(When I was able to get 4 gigs of RAM from Newegg for only $25 (after rebate), I needed a 64-bit OS to use it all, and luckily the beta had just been released, so I did it up.  I pre-ordered Win 7 when they had the $50 offer a couple months back)

Same here, except I pre-ordered the Professional one.

vdeane

I got my Vista laptop at the start of July, so I was able to pre-order 7 for free.  I figure I'll install it eventually, but not immedietly (the last time I upgraded an OS bad stuff happened); Vista to 7 is certainly less of a jump than 98 to XP was, but I'm still probably gonna wait a few months before upgrading.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mightyace

Quote from: deanej on September 25, 2009, 09:39:07 PM
I got my Vista laptop at the start of July, so I was able to pre-order 7 for free.  I figure I'll install it eventually, but not immedietly (the last time I upgraded an OS bad stuff happened); Vista to 7 is certainly less of a jump than 98 to XP was, but I'm still probably gonna wait a few months before upgrading.

It took me until 2005 or 2006 to go to XP and just last year to try Vista.  So, talk to be in 2011!
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Hellfighter

Quote from: mightyace on September 27, 2009, 08:26:45 AM
Quote from: deanej on September 25, 2009, 09:39:07 PM

It took me until 2005 or 2006 to go to XP and just last year to try Vista.  So, talk to be in 2011!

Trust me, after using 7 RC for 6 months, once you got to 7, you won't want to go back!

NJRoadfan

The house party might seem funny, but its nothing new for Microsoft. Back in 1998 when Windows 98 came out, the local Computer City had a midnight BBQ release party. That very same store (since became a CompUSA) had a line of people at 12AM waiting for Vista to come out. Heck I still remember the hoopla over Windows 95, even people without a computer thought it was a big deal. SOme even bought it for no reason.

NJRoadfan

algorerhythms

When I installed Service Pack 1 for Vista, I found that plugging in my external hard drive caused a Blue Screen of Death...

So, to cut the story short, I think I'll stick with Linux, running XP in VirtualBox for the few Windows programs I have to use. Thanks anyway.   :)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.