News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Translation Party

Started by Scott5114, October 15, 2009, 11:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

This is a site which takes a given phrase and translates it back and forth between Japanese and English until the same result is obtained. As a result you can get some rather bizarre mutilations of the phrase.

First I invented a phrase: "The cashier presented him with an array of presidential portraits, several metal discs, and a mysterious document." This became: "Vice President, Chief Executive, accounting, has released an array of mystical portraits of some metal disks in the document."

Ok, now to take agentsteel53's last post: "Looking at the map, I-8 east seems to switch three full times, but there are only three signs the last I remember because the middle switch is only for a couple dozen feet, as the highway travels almost due north-south." Which becomes: "Map of the Middle East, I-123181 Dasufito, 1258, the first access switch, one or two I: 00 I 57 minutes 2 2, North Korea, South Korea, travel, or one in 222,112 memories last two switches, two or three of the last update of the road, one of two please refer to the public appearance of one of the following symptoms in order to complete a single line." Very well then!

How about a random quote from the MUTCD? "Pull-Through signs should be used where the geometrics of a given interchange are such that it is not clear to the road user as to which is the through roadway, or where additional route guidance is desired. Pull-Through signs with down arrows should be used where the alignment of the through lanes is curved and the exit direction is straight ahead, where the number of through lanes is not readily evident, and at multi-lane exits where there is a reduction in the number of through lanes." That becomes: "Such as signs, road Intachenjirupuru geometrics, the leaders of the root is added to clear the road users need to specify not to be used as is expected from there. Drive straight arrow in the direction of using the exit lane, the lane is to reduce the number of lanes required to facilitate the deployment and use of any power outlet. Is not clearly label the current number of lanes."

The lane is to reduce the numbers of lanes required to facilitate the deployment and use of any power outlet. Hmm.

http://www.translationparty.com
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alps

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 15, 2009, 11:29:01 AM
How about a random quote from the MUTCD? "Pull-Through signs should be used where the geometrics of a given interchange are such that it is not clear to the road user as to which is the through roadway, or where additional route guidance is desired. Pull-Through signs with down arrows should be used where the alignment of the through lanes is curved and the exit direction is straight ahead, where the number of through lanes is not readily evident, and at multi-lane exits where there is a reduction in the number of through lanes." That becomes: "Such as signs, road Intachenjirupuru geometrics, the leaders of the root is added to clear the road users need to specify not to be used as is expected from there. Drive straight arrow in the direction of using the exit lane, the lane is to reduce the number of lanes required to facilitate the deployment and use of any power outlet. Is not clearly label the current number of lanes."

http://www.translationparty.com

How do you manage to translate something from English into Japanese and not be able to translate it back (Intachenjirupuru, which I assume is interchanges)?  For that matter, how do you generate dozens of random numbers in the previous paragraph?

agentsteel53

QuoteI-123181

sweet Jesus .. what!!??
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

J N Winkler

I tried an adaptation of my signature line.

It is necessary to spend a hundred dollars now in order to save a thousand dollars later.

became

Current year 1000, if the dollar store, you must spend 100 dollars.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

agentsteel53

Quote from: J N Winkler on October 15, 2009, 09:19:20 PM

Current year 1000, if the dollar store, you must spend 100 dollars.

crap, that does not make grammatical sense.  please revise :)

jake@aaroads.com

algorerhythms

"I think pi is mighty fine, three point one four one five nine."
->
"I'm a big pie is 3141591, it is a good point Suremashita."

"Al Gore is a former vice president of the United States."
->
"Former Vice President Al Gore is the United States."

City

"Interstates are a big part of the United States' economy, serving as a fast and easy way to travel and ship goods across the country."

to...

"This is a simple way to ship goods on a journey that provides the bulk of the U.S. economy is on the expressway between the two countries."

__

"Excepting the DariƩn Gap, a 54 mile gap in Panama, the Pan-Am highway is the longest motorable road in the world."

To...

"Dariengyappu, Panama, 54 - Dec. 20, the world's highways, roads, miles, motorable bridge, longest bridge, the bridge, there is a gap between the pot."   :-D

agentsteel53

how did Dec 20 come out of that?

jake@aaroads.com

aswnl

You just have to try this one:
The survivors were buried after the plane crash.

:biggrin:

Scott5114

Quote from: algorerhythms on October 17, 2009, 11:57:06 AM

Terrifying!

Alps

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 20, 2009, 04:22:53 AM

Terrifying!
And as political as this thread is going to get. ;)

Scott5114

Quote from: AlpsROADS on October 20, 2009, 06:45:26 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on October 20, 2009, 04:22:53 AM

Terrifying!
And as political as this thread is going to get. ;)

Oh, I wasn't intending to be political. I just find the notion of Al Gore being the United States frightening :P

Alps

Not you Scott - the later posters who tried to politicize your statement.  I happen to agree that people and nations should not be conflated.  Mugabe, among others, may differ...

DanTheMan414

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 15, 2009, 08:39:25 PM
QuoteI-123181

sweet Jesus .. what!!??

Did Bud Shuster have anything to do with that highway? :P

jdb1234

Here's one:

I-65 runs from I-10 to the Tennessee state line

to

I was 10 to 65 years, I performed within the framework of Tennessee

hm insulators

I tried my signature ("Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy") and it became, "If we find a warning: When, if a beautiful woman, you need to find at least."
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

hm insulators

I just tried one of my favorite admonitions, "Never wear white pants to a restaurant" and it became, "Restaurants don't wear white pants." :-D
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

mightyace

As one who's often violated this rule, I put in,

"Don't talk politics in this forum."

and got:

"Whether it is to limit the political forum, please do not talk to management in some way."

EDIT:
And some are just plain bizarre:

"The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission wants to put tolls on I-80."

becomes

"I Penshirubeniatanpaiku my committee - 80 to pass through."
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

City

Quote from: mightyace on October 27, 2009, 04:55:14 PM

"The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission wants to put tolls on I-80."

becomes

"I Penshirubeniatanpaiku my committee - 80 to pass through."

What!? You want to do that to that to your committee? And you want I-80 to pass through?

To...

"What? Whether the Commission, What is? 80, I scratch - if passed by?"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.