News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What kind of work do you do?

Started by Chris, February 02, 2009, 08:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: mefailenglish on February 04, 2009, 07:27:56 AM
Meteorologist, though I usually tell people "computer programmer" when they ask.

Nothing wrong with being a meteorologist [as long as you can get the forecast right]  :-P
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ComputerGuy

I'm still in school...I help my mother with her sushi business now and then.

Voyager

Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

RoadWarrior56

I guess you could say I have a road-related job.  I am a civil enginner with a PE.  I am a project manager and engineer, working in transportation.  Roadway, designer, traffic engineering, traffic studies, etc, at the Atlanta branch office of a consulting engineering firm.  Even some software development.  I was born the same month and in the same year that the interstate system was funded, hence the "56" in my name.  I remember riding on trips as these roadways were being constructed as a child, hence my early interest in this field.

mightyace

I do software development for a company that handles government payments including income taxes and some BMVs.  So, I'm indirectly helping finance the roads!  :-D
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

yanksfan6129

Michael

I'm in college right now.  I always wanted to be a civil engineer, until I found computers at about 10 years old.  Now, I want to work in helpdesk support.

mightyace

QuoteI always wanted to be a civil engineer, until I found computers at about 10 years old.  Now, I want to work in helpdesk support.

Maybe you should stick to civil engineering.  It pays much better.

deathtopumpkins

Agreed... and that's what I'm studying to be btw.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Ian

Still a student: 8th grade  :banghead: Next year its off to high school  :ded:

Can't get a job till im 14 (im 13, so  :D)
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

deathtopumpkins

You can work at 14 I.C.? Odd.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

ComputerGuy

I can't work here until 15...Washington state law...grr

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

deathtopumpkins

Hmm... most places here don't hire until you're 16, though I believe you can work at 15 with a work permit.

Michael

Quote from: mightyace on April 01, 2009, 08:19:07 PM
QuoteI always wanted to be a civil engineer, until I found computers at about 10 years old.  Now, I want to work in helpdesk support.
Maybe you should stick to civil engineering.  It pays much better.

Really?  How much better?

I also did a GIS internship last summer.  I was digitizing buildings in ArcMap.

mightyace

QuoteReally?  How much better?

I also did a GIS internship last summer.  I was digitizing buildings in ArcMap.

Now your actual pay would depend on a lot of things including location.

But, Civil Engineers, I think, start around $40-75K and can go into six figures (after 20 or 30 years experience.)  Help desk support people will usually start at $20-30K and maybe go up to $50K.

Also, most help desk support people do not have or need 4-year college degrees.

Scott5114

I'm in college, but a series of bureaucratic errors and such resulting from me trying to transfer from Missouri State to some college in Oklahoma have resulted in me taking a year off from that.

My boss walked out yesterday, so I got an instant promotion. I'm an assistant manager of a restaurant now. Well...that will at least look better on a resume than a lot of things...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

HalifaxTravaler

I work at a place in Nova Scotia called AUTOPORT.Basically its a port, where new cars arrive by ship from Europe,we ship cars across Canada on rail.There is also a paint and body dept and a service dept there.I can be doing anything ranging from driving cars out in the yard, sometimes driving ship shuttle when the ships are being offloaded.Mainly, i work in the service dept,doing anything from Wrapping cars(installing that white protection you sometimes seen on new cars)to doing  quality checks on various makes.I spent a few years in the paint shop polishing cars after they were painted also.Will be 20 years for me in Aug.

Hellfighter

College student studying to become a mega IT manager

Bickendan

Geographer, fresh out of school. Need a job.

Anyone hirign? ;)

mightyace

Quote from: Bickendan on June 30, 2009, 02:45:51 PM

Anyone hirign? ;)

I don't know anyone who's "hirign!"  :-D

Some may be hiring though.  :sombrero:

(Make sure you don't do that on your resume, cover letter and applications!)

Chris

Quote from: mightyace on June 30, 2009, 02:54:33 PM

You won't believe how many spelling mistakes and errors I have read in papers from college students... I once saw 6 spelling errors in 4 sentences...  X-(

mightyace

Quote from: Chris on June 30, 2009, 05:03:24 PM

You won't believe how many spelling mistakes and errors I have read in papers from college students... I once saw 6 spelling errors in 4 sentences...  X-(

I can.  My dad is a retired English professor.  When I was a kid, he read stuff from freshman compositions!  :ded:

Bickendan

Quote from: Bickendan on June 30, 2009, 02:45:51 PM

Anyone hirign? ;)

I don't know anyone who's "hirign!"  :-D

Some may be hiring though.  :sombrero:

Well, that was brilliant on my part.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.