News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Why don't diesel cars sell in America?

Started by mightyace, February 13, 2009, 07:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyace

This is a new topic based on a discussion started by Truvelo, Chris, and myself on why diesel cars aren't selling in America like they are other places in the world.

I will post a digest of the conversation so far to get us started.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

mightyace

Quote from: mightyace on February 13, 2009, 04:15:50 PM
Quote from: Truvelo on February 13, 2009, 03:17:06 PM
Mightyace - diesel is more expensive but do the diesel cars over there produce significantly better MPG to make using diesel worthwhile like they do over here?

Yes, they get better MPG, but the price difference generally still makes the total cost of fuel higher or, at best, a wash.

Some other issues are perceptions are mostly no longer true.
1) You can't get diesel when you need it.
     That was true 30 years ago.  Not all stations have it, but enough do that it's not really a problem.

2) Diesel vehicles stink.
     Diesel power is mostly associated with commercial trucks and buses that stink.  I've read, and those of you in Europe can confirm this if I'm right, that the newer Diesel cars don't have this problem.

3) Keeping the fuel liquid in winter can be a pain.
     Again, I'm pretty sure that issue has been solved as well.  Again, I could use some European insight.

If anyone wants to discuss this further, I'll start a new thread.

mightyace

Quote from: Chris on February 13, 2009, 04:43:17 PM
The newest diesel engines are cleaner and more fuel efficient than a Prius!

My diesel car gets between 45 and 50 mpg, and doesn't stink at all, nor does it pollute black clouds into the air, something you often see in 1990's or earlier models.

The diesel engine greatly developed in the last 10 years.

Even a higher diesel price can still be cheaper, for instance, my previous gasoline-powered car got 28 mpg, while my current diesel car get about 47 mpg. Hence, the fuel price can be 67% higher to just break even.

However, diesel cars are discouraged in the Netherlands by high road taxes. I pay ~ $ 810 per year in road tax, while my previous car was $ 450 per year. However, I drive a commercial van, and those are taxed cheaper than regular cars, a 2800 pound diesel car gets taxed about $ 1,700 per year here.

Automobility is taxed insanely high in the Netherlands, although it doesn't scare people of using their car, the Dutch modal split is higher than in surrounding countries for the car, however we tend to use the bicycle for short distances up to 3 miles.

mightyace

Quote from: mightyace on February 13, 2009, 05:04:14 PM
Thanks, Chris for backing up my point.

I don't think the issues I listed are any more valid than you do, but I think it's the perception over here.

The only diesel car that I've seen advertised recently is from BMW or maybe Mercedes.  It listed the MPG as something in the 40+ range.  However, they didn't compared it to a similar gas powered model.

The automakers (American, Japanese, European or otherwise) need to advertise the fact that operation is cheaper even if the fuel is more expensive.

Chris

You also do not necessarily need a tiny car to get good mileage. MPV's like the Seat Alhambra or Renault Espace can have up to 7 seats and still get 45+ mpg. Diesel is getting it's best mileage on constant speeds, i.e. on freeways, and is therefor a good solution for those who commute significant distances (say; over 15 miles). The worst mileage I got so far with my diesel car was 35 mpg, and that were 200 miles of 1.5 mile drives because I was moving to another place. The best mileage I got was 54 mpg doing 70 mph on a freeway in France.

To get the same mileage with gasoline, you really need to drive those supermini's, like cookie cans as the Daihatsu Mira or the Suzuki Alto. To be frank, I wouldn't be found dead in such cubic meter cars.

Truvelo

And don't forgot those small engined gasoline cars have inferior performance compared to torquey diesels so if they claim to be able to do 50mpg in reality you have to drive them so hard that the mpg falls. My diesel is doing 2000rpm @ 70mph whereas the little cubic meter cars are screaming their heads off at 3500rpm+ not to mention they run out energy fairly quickly above that speed.

Diesel technology has matured greatly over the last decade but I still see room for improvement. Give it another ten years and the diesel engines of today will seem noisy and dirty :cool:
Speed limits limit life

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.