News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: Beltway on April 24, 2019, 08:30:02 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on April 24, 2019, 07:33:37 PM
Speed limit raising on U.S. Route 301 between Port Royal and Bowling Green from 55 MPH to 60 MPH.

I went thru there 2 weeks ago and was wondering why it wasn't yet 60.
I felt the same way as you last week. In fact, I though even if it wasn't, it the increase in the speed limit was so inevitable, no county deputy sheriff, Virginia State Trooper, or MP was ever going to bother me or anyone else over it.

sprjus4

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 25, 2019, 12:21:02 AM
Quote from: Beltway on April 24, 2019, 08:30:02 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on April 24, 2019, 07:33:37 PM
Speed limit raising on U.S. Route 301 between Port Royal and Bowling Green from 55 MPH to 60 MPH.

I went thru there 2 weeks ago and was wondering why it wasn't yet 60.
I felt the same way as you last week. In fact, I though even if it wasn't, it the increase in the speed limit was so inevitable, no county deputy sheriff, Virginia State Trooper, or MP was ever going to bother me or anyone else over it.
Agreed. It's a limited-access freeway with one at-grade intersection. It should be allowed for higher for 60 MPH simply for being limited-access, though Virginia code does not permit that currently.

At least 60 MPH is better then 55 MPH, I won't complain there.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 25, 2019, 07:16:14 AM
It's a limited-access freeway with one at-grade intersection. It should be allowed for higher for 60 MPH simply for being limited-access, though Virginia code does not permit that currently.

The code allows up to 70 mph for a 4-lane divided limited access highway.  As defined an at-grade expressway is a limited access highway.

"Limited access highway" means a highway especially designed for through traffic, over which abutters have no easement or right of light, air, or access by reason of the fact that their property abuts upon such limited access highway.
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title33.2/chapter4/section33.2-400/

Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, the maximum speed limit shall be 70 miles per hour where indicated by lawfully placed signs, erected subsequent to a traffic engineering study and analysis of available and appropriate accident and law-enforcement data, on (i) interstate highways; (ii) multilane, divided, limited access highways; and (iii) high-occupancy vehicle lanes if such lanes are physically separated from regular travel lanes.
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title46.2/chapter8/section46.2-870/
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on April 25, 2019, 07:43:00 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on April 25, 2019, 07:16:14 AM
It's a limited-access freeway with one at-grade intersection. It should be allowed for higher for 60 MPH simply for being limited-access, though Virginia code does not permit that currently.

The code allows up to 70 mph for a 4-lane divided limited access highway.  As defined an at-grade expressway is a limited access highway.

"Limited access highway" means a highway especially designed for through traffic, over which abutters have no easement or right of light, air, or access by reason of the fact that their property abuts upon such limited access highway.

Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, the maximum speed limit shall be 70 miles per hour where indicated by lawfully placed signs, erected subsequent to a traffic engineering study and analysis of available and appropriate accident and law-enforcement data, on (i) interstate highways; (ii) multilane, divided, limited access highways; and (iii) high-occupancy vehicle lanes if such lanes are physically separated from regular travel lanes.
The definition still doesn't specifically state whether at-grade intersections are permitted or not.

I recall in the past reading a VDOT study that used the term "controlled-access highway" for a highway with at-grade intersections, but no private connections, and a "limited-access highway" for a highway permitting no private connections, and that all crossroads must be grade separated with access via interchanges.

I wish the definition was more clear.

But nonetheless, no limited-access at-grade highway in Virginia has ever been posted above 60 MPH. Freeway bypasses have been posted at 65 MPH, and interstate highways (and US-29 at Lynchburg) at 70 MPH. They likely consider "limited-access highway" as a freeway.

Plus, the one at-grade intersection on US-301 at Fort A.P. Hill is technically a private driveway to a facility, so it's debatable.

UPDATE ---

This was the study, the I-73 Location Study, Page 2-11 completed about a decade ago.

This provides a clear distinction what VDOT considers a "controlled-access highway" and a "limited-access highway".

QuoteThe controlled access facility provides similar geometric features to the Interstate (freeway) design along the mainline. The controlled access highway will likely require parallel frontage roads to access stranded properties on either side of the roadway. The controlled access highway would resemble an Interstate in that access would only be provided at key primary, secondary and arterial roads. At those locations the access would be at-grade and either signalized or unsignalized depending upon through and turning movement volumes at the intersection. This distinction separates the controlled access highway from the limited access highway. The limited access highway would have full control not only along the mainline but also at the key intersecting roads. The limited access facility would provide grade separated interchanges as opposed to the at-grade, signalized intersections prevalent in the controlled access highway. Typically, the controlled access highway would be designed to a 60 mph design standard and have a posted speed of 55 mph. The Interstate highway would be designed to a 70 mph design standard and have a posted speed of (*)65 mph. The controlled access design resembles the Interstate design in that the lane, shoulder and median width would be very similar.

To sum it up, the only difference between the two is that a "controlled-access highway" has at-grade intersections, whereas a "limited-access highway" has grade-separations. Everything else about them are the same - interstate / freeway cross section, no private access, etc.

(*)note it indicates 65 MPH, this was before interstates were permitted at 70 MPH.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 25, 2019, 04:58:21 PM
Quote from: Beltway on April 25, 2019, 07:43:00 AM
The definition still doesn't specifically state whether at-grade intersections are permitted or not.

The way that the Code of Virginia defines "limited access highway" is based on the right-of-way disallowing any private access whether by driveway, field entrance, foot access, off-road vehicle, etc. 

An at-grade expressway is a limited access highway with at-grade intersections with public roads.

I recall in the past reading a VDOT study that used the term "controlled-access highway" for a highway with at-grade intersections, but no private connections, and a "limited-access highway" for a highway permitting no private connections, and that all crossroads must be grade separated with access via interchanges.  I wish the definition was more clear.

I wouldn't use the I-73 study to try to override what is stated in the Code of Virginia.

But nonetheless, no limited-access at-grade highway in Virginia has ever been posted above 60 MPH.

You're sure?  I would have had to drive every Virginia highway since the 1960s and at least every 5 years or so to be able to say that, and I have not done that.

The US-460 Christiansburg Bypass had a 65 mph speed limit the first time I drove in in 1972.  It was built with a limited access right-of-way and then its termini were at-grade intersections (US-11/US-460 east of town and US-460 north of town).  No intervening intersections or interchanges. 

Does that count?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on April 25, 2019, 09:03:53 PM
The way that the Code of Virginia defines "limited access highway" is based on the right-of-way disallowing any private access whether by driveway, field entrance, foot access, off-road vehicle, etc. 

An at-grade expressway is a limited access highway with at-grade intersections with public roads.
I suppose using what's specifically stated in the Code of Virginia, somebody could attempt to use this "loophole" to increase the speed limit on a limited-access at-grade highway to 65 or 70 MPH, though I don't believe that was the intent. But it's anybody's guess at this point.

I wouldn't use the I-73 study to try to override what is stated in the Code of Virginia.
Not necessarily overriding what's stated in the Code of Virginia, but rather puts more of an emphasis on what's the actual intent of the code was referring too.   

You're sure?  I would have had to drive every Virginia highway since the 1960s and at least every 5 years or so to be able to say that, and I have not done that.
https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=0038371d02d04fdd88fd04488297f8a9
VDOT's online speed limit map is helpful here. Go to "Content", under "VDOT Speed Limits" click on "Filter", change "Authority" to "Car Speed Limits", then enter value "65mph".

It allows you to view every highway posted strictly at 65 MPH, no other ones in the way. Looking around, all of those appear to be freeways, and no at-grade limited-access.

The US-460 Christiansburg Bypass had a 65 mph speed limit the first time I drove in in 1972.  It was built with a limited access right-of-way and then its termini were at-grade intersections (US-11/US-460 east of town and US-460 north of town).  No intervening intersections or interchanges.
The segments without intersections had 65 MPH speed limits, then it dropped to 55 MPH when encountering one. The US-460 Blacksburg Bypass in the same general area had an at-grade intersection / interchange at Southgate Drive, yet the bypass was posted at 65 MPH. Around the intersection, the speed limit decreased to 55 MPH, then increased back to 65 MPH. Ever since the new interchange opened there finally back in 2017 though, it's now all 65 MPH continuously.

I suppose the US-301 segment could be 65 MPH, then decrease to 60 MPH near the at-grade intersection, if that particular segment had the proper design for 65 MPH, or even 70 MPH.

froggie

As I recall, VDOT flips the usual definitions of "limited access" and "controlled access", in that "limited access" = freeway and "controlled access" may include at-grade public intersections.

noelbotevera

On an unrelated topic, is there any reason why Skyline Drive was closed south of US 33? I recall hearing about ice or fires damaging the road, but I don't know why they had to close a whopping 40 miles of the road (perhaps flaggers could be possible?).

Anyways, that prevented me from clinching Skyline Drive a week ago, and now I'm missing it between US 250 and US 33.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

famartin

Quote from: noelbotevera on April 26, 2019, 09:59:08 AM
On an unrelated topic, is there any reason why Skyline Drive was closed south of US 33? I recall hearing about ice or fires damaging the road, but I don't know why they had to close a whopping 40 miles of the road (perhaps flaggers could be possible?).

Anyways, that prevented me from clinching Skyline Drive a week ago, and now I'm missing it between US 250 and US 33.

My understanding is that the ice storms this winter (they were much more severe on the ridges than in the valleys) brought down an inordinate amount of trees, which required a very long time to clear.

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on April 26, 2019, 09:54:04 AM
As I recall, VDOT flips the usual definitions of "limited access" and "controlled access", in that "limited access" = freeway and "controlled access" may include at-grade public intersections.

In what context and where?  The VDOT state highway map uses "Access Controlled" in the legend for freeways.   VDOT design project plans use "R/W & Limited Access" on the right-of-way line on both freeways and expressways.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 26, 2019, 07:18:34 AM
I suppose using what's specifically stated in the Code of Virginia, somebody could attempt to use this "loophole" to increase the speed limit on a limited-access at-grade highway to 65 or 70 MPH, though I don't believe that was the intent. But it's anybody's guess at this point.

You're overthinking things.  The law is what it is, there is no "loophole", it says that such a highway could have such a speed limit, if supported by a traffic engineering study (that all important qualifier).  I could see a high-quality at-grade expressway having a 65 mph speed limit, but of course there aren't very many in this state, such highways were usually built as freeways.

https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=0038371d02d04fdd88fd04488297f8a9
VDOT's online speed limit map is helpful here. Go to "Content", under "VDOT Speed Limits" click on "Filter", change "Authority" to "Car Speed Limits", then enter value "65mph".
It allows you to view every highway posted strictly at 65 MPH, no other ones in the way. Looking around, all of those appear to be freeways, and no at-grade limited-access.

That does not go back in history, and why isn't I-81 showing when clicking your link?

The segments without intersections had 65 MPH speed limits, then it dropped to 55 MPH when encountering one. The US-460 Blacksburg Bypass in the same general area had an at-grade intersection / interchange at Southgate Drive, yet the bypass was posted at 65 MPH. Around the intersection, the speed limit decreased to 55 MPH, then increased back to 65 MPH. Ever since the new interchange opened there finally back in 2017 though, it's now all 65 MPH continuously.

I was talking about 1972, which is pre-1973 NMSL.  You weren't yet born in 1972 so how would you know what the speed limit was on the Christiansburg Bypass?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on April 26, 2019, 12:36:57 PM
You're overthinking things.  The law is what it is, there is no "loophole", it says that such a highway could have such a speed limit, if supported by a traffic engineering study (that all important qualifier).  I could see a high-quality at-grade expressway having a 65 mph speed limit, but of course there aren't very many in this state, such highways were usually built as freeways.
As my link to the I-73 study, and as froggie mentioned above, I'm pretty sure "limited-access highway" is considered as a freeway, not at-grade. They've never attempted to raise a non-freeway above 60 MPH even though it's worded in a way it would be allowed.

"Controlled-access highway" is the word for limited-access highways with at-grade intersections under VDOT terms.

If the intention for the code is to be for freeways only, yet the code doesn't specify it, and somebody indeed is able to make a non-freeway have a higher limit than 60 MPH because of non-specific wording, then it's indeed a loophole.

IIRC, VDOT is intending on constructing the US-121 Coalfields Expressway in western Virginia (once money is found... ---cricket sounds---), but either way, it would be "controlled-access highway" meaning limited-access, interstate cross section, but at-grade intersections... similar to WVDOT's corridor roads. It would be interesting if they try to set the road higher than 60 MPH if actually constructed.

US-17 is a high-quality "controlled-access highway" in Southern Chesapeake for 12 miles, the average speed of drivers is approx. 67 MPH in my experience driving down it frequently, and the speed limit is 55 MPH. There's talks of raising it to 60 MPH, but realistically it could be 65 MPH. The roadway has gentle curves, superelevation, good sight distance, wide clearsides, 12 foot lanes, 8 foot paved shoulders, 42 foot median... it feels like driving on an rural interstate highway when there's long stretches with no intersections...there's really no issues with it. I've spoken to a lot of people who have driven down the roadway, and just about everybody agrees it could indeed be 65 MPH. That's not being considered though because it's not a freeway, and is restricted at 60 MPH.

That does not go back in history, and why isn't I-81 showing when clicking your link?
I don't know why I-81 isn't displayed, that's odd... It's VDOT's map, not mine, so I wouldn't know. Must be an error. Same on my side.

I was talking about 1972, which is pre-1973 NMSL.  You weren't yet born in 1972 so how would you know what the speed limit was on the Christiansburg Bypass?
I know it because you said it.

"The US-460 Christiansburg Bypass had a 65 mph speed limit the first time I drove in in 1972.  It was built with a limited access right-of-way and then its termini were at-grade intersections (US-11/US-460 east of town and US-460 north of town).  No intervening intersections or interchanges."

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 26, 2019, 05:01:47 PM
As my link to the I-73 study, and as froggie mentioned above, I'm pretty sure "limited-access highway" is considered as a freeway, not at-grade. They've never attempted to raise a non-freeway above 60 MPH even though it's worded in a way it would be allowed.
"Controlled-access highway" is the word for limited-access highways with at-grade intersections under VDOT terms.

I had an opposite take on what Froggie said, see my comments about the legend on VDOT's state map, and what I said about VDOT design project plans is indeed the case.  Again, I don't see where the I-73 study would trump what is in the state Code.

If the intention for the code is to be for freeways only, yet the code doesn't specify it, and somebody indeed is able to make a non-freeway have a higher limit than 60 MPH because of non-specific wording, then it's indeed a loophole.

I have made the point many times over the years on roads forums, that limited access in Virginia highways refers to the right-of-way type, not the overall highway type.

IIRC, VDOT is intending on constructing the US-121 Coalfields Expressway in western Virginia (once money is found... ---cricket sounds---), but either way, it would be "controlled-access highway" meaning limited-access, interstate cross section, but at-grade intersections... similar to WVDOT's corridor roads. It would be interesting if they try to set the road higher than 60 MPH if actually constructed.

There is nothing in the Code of Virginia about "controlled-access highway".  Some other states use that term but that is not the case here.

I was thinking about 30+ miles segments of rural at-grade expressway when thinking of the higher speed limits, and Virginia doesn't have this so far.  I was thinking of something like US-15 in Maryland north of Frederick, essentially a rural Interstate standard of grade and alignment and cross section and lane and shoulder widths, a limited access right-of-way, and at-grade intersections only with public roads.  Something like that could qualify for 65 mph.  The state code in Virginia would cover that if such a highway was built.

US-17 is a high-quality "controlled-access highway" in Southern Chesapeake for 12 miles, the average speed of drivers is approx. 67 MPH in my experience driving down it frequently, and the speed limit is 55 MPH. There's talks of raising it to 60 MPH, but realistically it could be 65 MPH. The roadway has gentle curves, superelevation, good sight distance, wide clearsides, 12 foot lanes, 8 foot paved shoulders, 42 foot median... it feels like driving on an rural interstate highway when there's long stretches with no intersections...there's really no issues with it. I've spoken to a lot of people who have driven down the roadway, and just about everybody agrees it could indeed be 65 MPH. That's not being considered though because it's not a freeway, and is restricted at 60 MPH.

According to the Code of Virginia it could be 65 or 70, if a traffic engineering study supported that.  That comes down to engineering judgement, because there is no exact way to differentiate at that level.

I have commented in the past how it is apparent to me that each VDOT district traffic engineering unit is making their speed limit decisions with no statewide oversight.  That is how you get 60 mph on the Franklin and US-58 Suffolk bypasses, and 65 mph on the Lebanon and Tazewell bypasses, for one example.  No reason why they should not all be the same, all are just a tad below rural Interstate standards.

I know it because you said it.
"The US-460 Christiansburg Bypass had a 65 mph speed limit the first time I drove in in 1972.  It was built with a limited access right-of-way and then its termini were at-grade intersections (US-11/US-460 east of town and US-460 north of town).  No intervening intersections or interchanges."

I also posed the question, "Does this count?"  Three miles of highway between two terminal at grade intersections, and a 65 mph speed limit.  Questionable whether I would call such a segment a freeway.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on April 26, 2019, 05:42:44 PM
I had an opposite take on what Froggie said, see my comments about the legend on VDOT's state map, and what I said about VDOT design project plans is indeed the case.  Again, I don't see where the I-73 study would trump what is in the state Code.
It's debatable I suppose. There's no clear evidence what the actual answer it. At this point, it's anyone's best guess.

I was thinking about 30+ miles segments of rural at-grade expressway when thinking of the higher speed limits, and Virginia doesn't have this so far.  I was thinking of something like US-15 in Maryland north of Frederick, essentially a rural Interstate standard of grade and alignment and cross section and lane and shoulder widths, a limited access right-of-way, and at-grade intersections only with public roads.  Something like that could qualify for 65 mph.  The state code in Virginia would cover that if such a highway was built.
I agree. US-13 on the Eastern Shore has about 30 miles of that highway design between Pocomoke and Salisbury, which then transitions into a 65 MPH freeway bypass. I could see all of that being raised to 65 MPH from Salisbury to Pocomoke as well. Certain stretches of US-50, also on the Eastern Shore, have a limited-access design as well.

I don't support speed limits being strictly dictated IMHO. They should be set at what's reasonable. There shouldn't be a mandated 55 MPH or 60 MPH for divided highways. It should simply set a maximum, 70 MPH, on any roadway.

Obviously, most non-freeways wouldn't be posted as high as 70 MPH or even 65 MPH, but if it was determined safe and reasonable, there shouldn't be anything stopping it. Stretches of non-limited-access recently widened portions of US-58, including between Courtland and Emporia that have a 40 foot median, 12 foot lanes, and 8 foot paved shoulders, gentle curves, good sight distance, wide clearsides, etc. could handle 65 or even 70 MPH, and likely would be set higher than 60 MPH if there wasn't restriction. Then again, the bypasses are also 60 MPH, and legally can be 70 MPH, so who knows.

The code in Texas simply dictates a 75 MPH maximum (exception - I-10 & I-20 are 80 MPH, and SH-130 Toll is as high as 85 MPH) on all roadways, no matter what classification. I agree, the roads down there have way better designs (full shoulders on most 2 or 4 lane highways, wide lanes (13 or 14 foot on a lot of 2-lanes), wide medians, etc), then Virginia, obviously, narrow roads wouldn't be increased to 70 MPH, 55 MPH is fast enough for a lot of them, but it would allow flexibility based on engineering judgment, especially on divided highways, not lawmakers in Richmond. But nonetheless, because of little restriction, most two-lane and just about every divided highway is posted at 70 or 75 MPH, because they're designed for that. I couldn't imagine driving 60 MPH on those highways. I've also noticed this when driving on major corridors between metros that are divided 75 MPH highways - most people don't go above 80 MPH, because the speed limit is posted at the 85th percentile, what's reasonable for the roadway. Most people, even long-distance traffic, is comfortable enough driving between 75 and 80 MPH, on a road with 10 foot paved shoulders, 12 foot travel lanes, divided median, even with lots of connecting driveways and intersections. It seems to work better than mandated slower speed limits on well-designed highways, designed for faster than actually posted, up in northern states.

I also posed the question, "Does this count?"  Three miles of highway between two terminal at grade intersections, and a 65 mph speed limit.  Questionable whether I would call such a segment a freeway.
There's no at-grade intersections, and that's good enough. For that reason, it could be considered an freeway. Either way, the rules then have changed, the discussion is in regards to limited-access at-grade highways now. Back then, all non-limited-access could've technically been 65 MPH, but the statewide 55 MPH speed limit came before that could be implemented. That 65 MPH code never returned since, only 60 MPH.

According to the Code of Virginia it could be 65 or 70, if a traffic engineering study supported that.  That comes down to engineering judgement, because there is no exact way to differentiate at that level.
Still questionable. One example, the 8-mile US-15 / US-360 bypass & relocation near Keysville, VA is limited-access, though some at-grade intersections exist. Only 4-miles is posted at 65 MPH, because no at-grade intersections exist, simply interchanges and overpasses. The speed drops to 60 MPH on the other 4-miles that have at-grade intersections, but still is limited-access.

If the Code of Virginia really permitted 65 or 70 on limited-access, at-grade highways, that stretch would remain 65 MPH even through the intersections, then finally decrease to 60 MPH where the non-limited-access begins.

That's why I still believe the 65 or 70 MPH code is strictly for freeways with no intersections whatsoever.

This is an example that supports my thought process.

Mapmikey

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 26, 2019, 06:28:41 PM

Still questionable. One example, the 8-mile US-15 / US-360 bypass & relocation near Keysville, VA is limited-access, though some at-grade intersections exist. Only 4-miles is posted at 65 MPH, because no at-grade intersections exist, simply interchanges and overpasses. The speed drops to 60 MPH on the other 4-miles that have at-grade intersections, but still is limited-access.

IIRC the CTB specifically removed the limited access designation from the parts of the Keysville Bypass with the at grade intersections, which are relatively recent compared to the age of the bypass.  The CTB historical search site is down otherwise I would find this and get the exact wording of what they did.

Before the site went down I tried to find a reference to designating US 301 through Fort AP Hill area as Limited Access.  I was trying to substantiate a theory that regardless of the definition of any of these terms, the CTB has to formally declare a road to be the designation for that designation to be in effect.

sprjus4

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 26, 2019, 10:32:06 PM

IIRC the CTB specifically removed the limited access designation from the parts of the Keysville Bypass with the at grade intersections, which are relatively recent compared to the age of the bypass.  The CTB historical search site is down otherwise I would find this and get the exact wording of what they did.

Before the site went down I tried to find a reference to designating US 301 through Fort AP Hill area as Limited Access.  I was trying to substantiate a theory that regardless of the definition of any of these terms, the CTB has to formally declare a road to be the designation for that designation to be in effect.
Weird, it wouldn't make sense to remove limited-access designation on a new location facility. That only hurts itself in the long run, especially if development can freely occur.

US-17 throughout Chesapeake from North Carolina to I-64 is fully a limited-access facility. The southern 14 miles has limited-access right of way with at-grade intersections, and the northern 3 miles is limited-access freeway with interchanges. The southern 10 miles or so was completed in 2005 on new location, and the northern 7 miles was widened to a four-lane expressway / freeway in 2016. All of the project plans for those projects indicate limited-access right of way for the entire facility.

Before 2005, US-17 was a two-lane non-limited-access roadway from I-64 to NC.

Beltway

It's debatable I suppose. There's no clear evidence what the actual answer it. At this point, it's anyone's best guess.

No guessing about it.  The law is clear as to what limited access means in Virginia, and that it is in the 70 mph category.  Whether a traffic engineering study would clear a segment for that is another matter entirely.

The way that the law is written includes all Interstate highways in the 70 mph category.  That means that I-95 thru the center of Richmond could qualify for 70 mph in a traffic engineering study supported it.  Given the geometry that won't happen, no way, but the legal framework puts all Interstate highways in the same legal category.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

Bear in mind that even if the traffic study supported it they might still decline to post a segment at 70 mph. The Beltway HO/T lanes are a good example. They were posted at 55 when they opened, then a year later they did the study to determine whether a higher speed limit was justified and, if so, what it would be. The study showed 70 mph would be appropriate, but instead they posted 65, and the news reports at the time said they never considered posting 70. I note that when I generally set my cruise control at 70 in the HO/T lanes, everyone else passes me. (Interesting side note is that the reports about the I-66 outside-the-Beltway project have said those lanes are expected to be posted at 70.)

I wonder if the use of the plastic bollards, rather than a harder barrier, was a factor in the decision, although if that were the case one might expect to see a 70-mph speed limit on the I-95 HO/T lanes instead of the 65-mph limit normally in effect there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 27, 2019, 09:07:05 AM

I wonder if the use of the plastic bollards, rather than a harder barrier, was a factor in the decision, although if that were the case one might expect to see a 70-mph speed limit on the I-95 HO/T lanes instead of the 65-mph limit normally in effect there.

One drawing for the Express lane extension to Fredericksburg shows a posted 70 mph limit.  When completed I wonder if they will be posted at 70 everywhere south of Dale City.

QuoteWeird, it wouldn't make sense to remove limited-access designation on a new location facility. That only hurts itself in the long run, especially if development can freely occur.

The CTB makes changes to limited access segments all the time, for better or for worse.  For example, VA 73 was limited access when approved in Sept 1958 (see pg. 64 at http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/meetings/minutes_pdf/CTB-08-1958-01.pdf).  Limited access was alter in 1965 and again in 1992.  At this point it looks like only at the I-95 interchange itself is it still limited access.

To get an idea of what the CTB does, here is their action to remove a small section of US 460 from Limited Access control in Bedford for shopping center access:
http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/meetings/minutes_pdf/CTB-07-2000-01.pdf

I don't know if they still do this but in the 1960s they would allow at-grades on some Limited Access designations such as the US 29 Lovingston and VA 297 Bedford Bypasses (pp. 27-30 at http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/meetings/minutes_pdf/CTB-03-1967-01.pdf).  Contrast with the US 211 Luray Bypass where they explicitly say no at-grades allowed (last page of http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/meetings/minutes_pdf/CTB-11-1966-01.pdf).

Note the Blacksburg BYpass was initially Limited Access throughout including at-grades per pg. 68 at http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/meetings/minutes_pdf/CTB-10-1966-01.pdf

I still can't find any evidence that US 301 through Fort AP HIll is limited access but this particular search expedition is difficult because the term is used often and the pdfs aren't searchable within them.

1995hoo

Unrelated to the above: WTOP has an article saying that Arlington County has deleted glass from the county-run recycling program and is asking residents either to throw out the glass or to take it to recycling drop-off points. It's the latter aspect that makes it relevant here, because the article says the glass collected at the drop-off points is taken to Fairfax County for use in experimental road paving that uses crushed-up glass.

Here's the info about the paving: https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/publicworks/news/smart-cities-pilot-project-tests-recycled-materials-use-road-repairs

Seems this is being done at the roads on landfill property where heavy trucks constantly traverse the experimental pavement. Interesting concept.

Beltway

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 27, 2019, 10:31:31 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 27, 2019, 09:07:05 AM
One drawing for the Express lane extension to Fredericksburg shows a posted 70 mph limit.  When completed I wonder if they will be posted at 70 everywhere south of Dale City.

It comes down to the engineering judgment of the traffic engineers that conduct the study.  On a 5 mph difference, two different teams could have a different decision, with both believing that they utilized best engineering practices.

The I-95 HOT lanes in some places have a normal shoulder and a minimal shoulder, where they widened to 3 lanes.  That would impact the whole corridor down to Dale City.

The I-495 HOT lanes originally were planned on a dual-divided configuration, 4 separate roadways each with shoulders, a 4-2-2-4 roadway arrangement.  The 70 mph would have been much more likely on a separated express roadway.  That configuration would have necessitated right-of-way width that would have taken out somewhere between 250 and 300 homes.  Obviously safer but looked infeasible from a community impact standpoint.  Instead by rebuilding to 6 lane roadways each way they minimized it down to about 25 homes.  Thus the bollards in the 4-foot painted divider and minimal separation between the two painted roadways each way.

What happens when a vehicle goes thru the bollards?  I haven't seen yet what happens to the bollards.

Also a safety issue when the HOT lanes are going full speed and the GP lanes are moving slowly.  An errant vehicle on either roadway could cause a bad wreck if it went thru the bollards, with minimal reaction time possible.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

I've seen some flattened bollards from time to time, but I've never seen anyone run over one. From what I understand, if you hit them at full speed your car will take a fair amount of damage even though the bollard will give way.

On your last point about differential speeds, I've heard (but thankfully never seen) that in the Miami area it's fairly common for people in the slow-moving general-purpose lanes to get fed up and to cut through the bollards there. Major safety hazard, although there are some notable differences from Virginia: (1) bollards in Miami are spaced somewhat further apart than Virginia's are and (2) traffic in the HO/T lanes on I-95 in Miami moves significantly slower during peak hours, for the most part, than traffic in the Beltway lanes does (I think due in part to the configuration for exiting traffic at the Golden Glades where HO/T exiters merge together with left-side general-purpose exiters). The slower speeds in Miami probably make cutting through the bollards less likely, during peak hours anyway, to result in a catastrophic wreck. The last time I was in the Miami lanes on I-95 with our relatives, I think we were going maybe 25 mph while the general-purpose lanes were going around 10 mph. (Last time I was in any HO/T lanes down there was late night last Christmas Eve on I-595. Those lanes are more like I-95 between Turkeycock and the Prince William Parkway–three lanes, barrier-separated from the mainline, reversible carriageway, but unlike Virginia I-595's have full shoulders and a 70-mph speed limit.)

I certainly recall the first few times I was in the Beltway HO/T lanes flying past stopped traffic in the general-purpose lanes it was a bit nerve-wracking because the bollards didn't seem like much of a barrier (compare to Shirley Highway), but I got over that pretty quickly.

Beltway

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 27, 2019, 11:44:46 AM
I certainly recall the first few times I was in the Beltway HO/T lanes flying past stopped traffic in the general-purpose lanes it was a bit nerve-wracking because the bollards didn't seem like much of a barrier (compare to Shirley Highway), but I got over that pretty quickly.

That is why I consider the left lane to be the "cruising lane" on the HOT roadway, it is farther from the GP roadway, plus the ramp terminals are on the left, so things are the opposite of a normal GP roadway.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 27, 2019, 10:31:31 AM
I don't know if they still do this but in the 1960s they would allow at-grades on some Limited Access designations such as the US 29 Lovingston and VA 297 Bedford Bypasses (pp. 27-30 at http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/meetings/minutes_pdf/CTB-03-1967-01.pdf).  Contrast with the US 211 Luray Bypass where they explicitly say no at-grades allowed (last page of http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/meetings/minutes_pdf/CTB-11-1966-01.pdf).
The US-17 relocation in Chesapeake built in 2005 has limited-access right of way and has 7 intersecting roads, and 4 farm connections. The widened US-17 between the 2005 relocation and I-64 completed in 2016 also has limited-access right of way and has 3 driveway connections, 1 farm connection, and 2 intersecting roads.

Interestingly enough... that US-211 Luray Bypass you mention has 4 at-grade intersections... what's up with that?
Quote from: Beltway on April 26, 2019, 11:22:13 PM
No guessing about it.  The law is clear as to what limited access means in Virginia, and that it is in the 70 mph category.  Whether a traffic engineering study would clear a segment for that is another matter entirely.
Let me know when a limited-access at-grade roadway is posted above 60 MPH under the current law, and then I'll believe you.

This 9 mile stretch of US-58 / US-23 / US-421 in Gate City, VA (just north of where I-26 ends at the VA state line) is a limited-access at-grade, high quality expressway, relocation of the old route. It's only posted 60 MPH... why's it not 65 MPH? It's limited-access. It's a high-quality expressway design. There's no private connections.

Same with the US-460 Blackstone, VA limited-access at-grade, high quality expressway bypass. And this 7 mile relocation of US-460 east of Bedford. Both are only 60 MPH. Why not 65 MPH?

I'm sure there's more around the state. None are above 60 MPH, even the highest quality ones. Even the lower quality ones, as soon as an overpass and interchange begins, the speed increases to 65 MPH. But as soon as an intersection comes, back down to 60 MPH, even if it's still limited-access. If limited-access at grade could have 65 MPH, then the 65 MPH would go through the intersection, at-grade portion as well, and not drop to 60 MPH.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 27, 2019, 12:49:04 PM
Quote from: Beltway on April 26, 2019, 11:22:13 PM
Let me know when a limited-access at-grade roadway is posted above 60 MPH under the current law, and then I'll believe you.

So you aren't going to believe me when I said that every mile of Interstate highway is in the 70 mph category, even though no urban Interstate segment has that speed limit?

The fact is that very few non-Interstate freeways are posted above 60 mph, for that matter.

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 27, 2019, 12:49:04 PM
This 9 mile stretch of US-58 / US-23 / US-421 in Gate City, VA (just north of where I-26 ends at the VA state line) is a limited-access at-grade, high quality expressway, relocation of the old route. It's only posted 60 MPH... why's it not 65 MPH? It's limited-access. It's a high-quality expressway design. There's no private connections.

Why aren't the US-58 Suffolk and Franklin bypasses posted at 65 mph or higher when Tazewell and Lebanon are?  I have pointed out that there are inconsistencies from district to district in how the district traffic engineering staff make their decisions.

That doesn't mean that the framework isn't in place for the possibility of higher speed limits.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.