News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: storm2k on August 10, 2015, 12:24:26 PM
Heads up, button copy fans. New sign mounts are going up at 16W as part of the ramp widening/lane reconfig project, so the 1970s vintage "Turnpike North" and "Turnpike South" signs at the onramps are not going to be around much longer.

Still waiting to see the new sign bridge at Exit 10, especially since it looks like most of the paving work for the new ramps and roadway realignment is done.

So basically all remaining button copy will be gone soon.  When will this project be completed?
So is thisw one still there?
[/url]

and exit 10 you mean these beauties?

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

SignBridge

That Lincoln Tunnel/Exit-17 sign is from about 1964 (!) when Interchanges 16 & 17 were reconfigured and rebuilt. Amazing it lasted this long.

storm2k

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on August 10, 2015, 09:05:24 PM
Quote from: storm2k on August 10, 2015, 12:24:26 PM
Heads up, button copy fans. New sign mounts are going up at 16W as part of the ramp widening/lane reconfig project, so the 1970s vintage "Turnpike North" and "Turnpike South" signs at the onramps are not going to be around much longer.

Still waiting to see the new sign bridge at Exit 10, especially since it looks like most of the paving work for the new ramps and roadway realignment is done.

So basically all remaining button copy will be gone soon.  When will this project be completed?
So is thisw one still there?
[/url]

and exit 10 you mean these beauties?

The bottom two will be gone soon. Part of the Exit 10 construction will include new signage. And the Exit 17 one will be replaced in the MUTCD signage project.

roadman65

Does the free turnpike signs all added back in the 90's shortly after the NJTA bought the highway from NJDOT plan to be replaced as well?

Those are typical Turnpike signs, but being the area just to the south is replacing vintage 60 and 70 era signs I am wondering if the NJTA will hold off here being these are less than 20 years old verses 40 to 50 years that the others have survived.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on August 11, 2015, 01:47:32 AM
Does the free turnpike signs all added back in the 90's shortly after the NJTA bought the highway from NJDOT plan to be replaced as well?

Those are typical Turnpike signs, but being the area just to the south is replacing vintage 60 and 70 era signs I am wondering if the NJTA will hold off here being these are less than 20 years old verses 40 to 50 years that the others have survived.

I believe they will be. The signs you're referring to on the "free" section of 95 were installed around 2000. Some of them have already been replaced, so I think all of them will be eventually.

jeffandnicole

Looking thru the Turnpike's website, they have active Guide Sign replacement contracts out for the NJ Turnpike from around MP 106 to 117 (end of original Turnpike) and on the GSP.  Looking up the NJ Turnpike extension, which is the 'free' turnpike you are referring to, and which is usually written as MP 117 (or MP 118) to MP 122, there doesn't appear to be any current signing replacement projects currently going on.

noelbotevera

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 11, 2015, 02:48:41 PM

Looking thru the Turnpike's website, they have active Guide Sign replacement contracts out for the NJ Turnpike from around MP 106 to 117 (end of original Turnpike) and on the GSP.  Looking up the NJ Turnpike extension, which is the 'free' turnpike you are referring to, and which is usually written as MP 117 (or MP 118) to MP 122, there doesn't appear to be any current signing replacement projects currently going on.
Between the Cheesequake service plaza to exit 127 (part where the sign replacement is going on and where my parents had driven), all the signs appeared to be new. I don't know for north of exit 127.
This was about a month and a half ago.

NJTP, I have nothing to say, as I was sleeping.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 11, 2015, 03:23:48 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 11, 2015, 02:48:41 PM

Between the Cheesequake service plaza to exit 127 (part where the sign replacement is going on and where my parents had driven), all the signs appeared to be new. I don't know for north of exit 127.

NJTP, I have nothing to say, as I was sleeping.

We were visiting some friends in Delaware about ~2-3 weeks ago, and from what I could tell, the signs appeared new. I can't say if they were actually or not.  :poke:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Alps

There's only one old sign left on the northern extension (MP 117-122), and that's the WB entrance from Exit 70 to the I-80 split.

NJRoadfan

Exit 69 looks to be the only place the NJTA actually uses the GSP shield on an overhead on the NJTP since Exit 11 never had one posted. What is going to happen to the "billboard" style exit signs in the median of the dual roadways? The large exit numbers work well with those, but not so much the exit tabs. I'm guessing quite a few gantries will be going up to replace those with signs over each roadway.

02 Park Ave

Quote from: NJRoadfan on August 12, 2015, 03:37:36 PM

How well are truck lane restrictions on the Turnpike, requiring them to remain in the two right hand lanes, enforced?
C-o-H

storm2k

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on August 12, 2015, 03:55:50 PM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on August 12, 2015, 03:37:36 PM

How well are truck lane restrictions on the Turnpike, requiring them to remain in the two right hand lanes, enforced?

Less than you'd think. Cops will generally go after any trucks that get into the far left lane, but not usually the 3rd lane.

SignBridge

Re: NJRoadfan's above post, does anyone know why the NJTA never used the GS Parkway logo at Exit-11? They could have posted it along with the Parkway name, though I don't advocate using the circular logo by itself as NJ DOT does on Routes 287/440 and I-80 approaching the Parkway.

NJTA recognized the importance of the Exit-11 interchange as a major transition point for many drivers with their spelling of PARKWAY in upper-case letters. Compare that to NJDOT's inadequate signing on 287/440 westbound at the exit for the Parkway South. They only used small signs with the Parkway logo, hardly conspicuous enough for such a major exit where I don't think they even posted a destination. 

KEVIN_224

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/08/12/new-jersey-turnpike-shut-down/

Here we go again! Another truck fire on the Turnpike. In the vicinity of East Brunswick. Damn! :(

storm2k

Quote from: SignBridge on August 12, 2015, 08:02:22 PM
Re: NJRoadfan's above post, does anyone know why the NJTA never used the GS Parkway logo at Exit-11? They could have posted it along with the Parkway name, though I don't advocate using the circular logo by itself as NJ DOT does on Routes 287/440 and I-80 approaching the Parkway.

NJTA recognized the importance of the Exit-11 interchange as a major transition point for many drivers with their spelling of PARKWAY in upper-case letters. Compare that to NJDOT's inadequate signing on 287/440 westbound at the exit for the Parkway South. They only used small signs with the Parkway logo, hardly conspicuous enough for such a major exit where I don't think they even posted a destination. 

The signage on 440 is not really indicative of how NJDOT signs the Parkway exits in most places. In almost all instances, in addition to the logo, they almost all use "Garden State Parkway" or "GS Parkway" or similar as additional text on the sign in lieu of a control city. See here, here, here, and here for examples. It should also be known that as part of the MUTCD sign replacement project, this sign bridge was replaced and it now has a GSP logo on it with Garden State Parkway as the "control city", so it looks like in the not too distant future, we'll be seeing the GSP logo on Interchange 11 signage.

roadman65

The 129  and 11 entry poinst most likely does not want to use control cities there because both the NJ Turnpike and GS Parkway both go to Newark which would be indeed used.   That if Newark were to be used might confuse many motorists and it would not be good for truckers as they cannot use the Parkway.

Bottom line is that non road geeks these days have the simplest solutions brought to them and  only get even more confused.  My fix would be use "Newark" for the Parkway here and then use "NYC" and "Trenton" for the NJ Turnpike (like the Parkway mainline does adjacent to it).  If a trucker does not know he can get to Newark via the NJT or US 9 by now, he probably will never get any wiser and always remain among the rest of the ignorant.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cpzilliacus

StarTribune.com: Senator seeks to overhaul emergency response following federal review of Tracy Morgan crash

QuoteFederal safety officials who reviewed a highway crash that badly injured comedian Tracy Morgan and killed a friend were sharply critical of the emergency response to it and are urging the state to establish minimum standards, but prior efforts at reform have failed.

QuoteThe criticism came during a National Transportation Safety Board meeting Tuesday to determine the cause of the June 7, 2014, crash on the New Jersey Turnpike and to make safety recommendations. It came after the Democrat-led Legislature passed measures to overhaul the state's emergency response system in 2011 and 2013 but Republican Gov. Chris Christie vetoed them.

QuoteThe panel's written review found the emergency response included "missteps on scene due to poor communication, lack of oversight, and nonstandard patient care practices" and recommended the state Department of Health establish minimum training and practice standards for all the organizations that respond to emergencies on the Turnpike, one of the nation's busiest toll roads.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: Alps on August 12, 2015, 12:33:11 AM
There's only one old sign left on the northern extension (MP 117-122), and that's the WB entrance from Exit 70 to the I-80 split.

These?

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

SignBridge

Well now there's been 3 major accident/fire/fatalities in incidents involving semi-trucks recently (including the Wal-Mart truck vs. limo) on the Turnpike. I won't be surprised if the State Police launch a major crack-down on truckers on the Turnpike very soon. It certainly appears to be needed.

02 Park Ave

They could begin by enforcing the lane restrictions for trucks.
C-o-H

SignBridge

That and speeding, tailgating, unsafe lane changes, violations of hours-of-service; everything safety related.

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on August 13, 2015, 11:02:49 AM
The 129  and 11 entry poinst most likely does not want to use control cities there because both the NJ Turnpike and GS Parkway both go to Newark which would be indeed used.   That if Newark were to be used might confuse many motorists and it would not be good for truckers as they cannot use the Parkway.

Bottom line is that non road geeks these days have the simplest solutions brought to them and  only get even more confused.  My fix would be use "Newark" for the Parkway here and then use "NYC" and "Trenton" for the NJ Turnpike (like the Parkway mainline does adjacent to it).  If a trucker does not know he can get to Newark via the NJT or US 9 by now, he probably will never get any wiser and always remain among the rest of the ignorant.

They do use NYC for Exit 129 proper. This is the onramp from 9.

02 Park Ave

Perhaps they should lower the speed limit in the outer roadways to 55 mph.
C-o-H

SignBridge

I think a 65 MPH speed limit is reasonable, but maybe it should be enforced more heavily, especially re: the big trucks.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.