News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: vdeane on August 02, 2021, 01:00:39 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 01, 2021, 02:55:19 PM
Quote from: Alps on August 01, 2021, 01:09:55 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 31, 2021, 10:11:45 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on July 31, 2021, 08:53:05 PM
I think he's talking about the length of the white lane lines and just spelled striping wrong.

Duh! It was still an amusing typo.
and if you read our rules, you'll see that pointing out typos is considered unproductive in a discussion so please don't (:

I'm positive I remember at some point one of the moderators saying something along the lines of it being acceptable to joke about funny typos, but it would be too much of a nuisance to try to find that post now.
I wonder if this is an edge case that was acceptable but no longer is in regards to the new rules.

I remember the discussion, too. The typo rule was put in less than a month before I joined, and the discussion about funny typos was definitely when I was active.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Alps

If a typo is legitimately funny, that's fine. "Stripping" instead of "striping" is common enough to be boring after awhile.

Rothman

Quote from: Alps on August 02, 2021, 05:40:29 PM
If a typo is legitimately funny, that's fine. "Stripping" instead of "striping" is common enough to be boring after awhile.
Well, you make the rules.  So let it be written, so let it be done.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Quote from: Rothman on August 02, 2021, 05:56:00 PM

I made the typo and I have to admit it's funny.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on August 02, 2021, 11:38:19 PM
Quote from: Rothman on August 02, 2021, 05:56:00 PM

I made the typo and I have to admit it's funny.
Precisely my point:  Portraying the subjective as objective makes for mushy moderation practices.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Quote from: roadman65 on July 18, 2021, 11:43:23 PM
Quote from: paul02474 on July 17, 2021, 09:53:34 PM
Quote from: storm2k on July 14, 2021, 03:36:47 PM
Couple of random pics from the NBHCE approaching Interchange 14 and the connections back to the mainline Turnpike.

Thanks for the excellent photos.
The exit numbers are absurd and inconsistent across these signs. The Newark Bay Extension exit numbers should be renumbered to align to I-78:
Exit 14 becomes I-78 Exit 59
Exit 14A becomes I-78 Exit 62
Exit 14B becomes I-78 Exit 64

What about New York with three different schemes for both I-87 and I-90.  That's more confusing, but to understand it's one mainline for the Thruway and The Berkshire Se Timon is its own before I-90 joins it.

Spell check and Se Timon whatever that means.  It's Section, but if some self aware computer device is going to correct me, use words that makes sense.

Sheryl Crowe

bluecountry

Quote from: Alps on July 23, 2021, 11:48:03 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on July 23, 2021, 10:58:29 PM
It really makes no sense how the NJTP only uses the 'Philadelphia' as a direction for the exit 6 sign.
Even after the SB NJTP passes Trenton, they use 'Camden' and not 'Philadelphia' it makes no sense.
NJTP doesn't go to Pennsylvania, so Philly is an exit from it.
Then why use "˜New York' on the NB NJTP from the beginning, and why use Wilmington?

Quote from: famartin on July 24, 2021, 12:40:58 AM
Quote from: Alps on July 23, 2021, 11:48:03 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on July 23, 2021, 10:58:29 PM
It really makes no sense how the NJTP only uses the 'Philadelphia' as a direction for the exit 6 sign.
Even after the SB NJTP passes Trenton, they use 'Camden' and not 'Philadelphia' it makes no sense.
NJTP doesn't go to Pennsylvania, so Philly is an exit from it.
Actually it does, ending at the state line on the connector bridge. In contrast, it never gets closer than, say, a mile from the NY state line  :evilgrin:

I'm being a smart ass. I know what you really mean, but let's face it: the turnpike is the main connector between two of the biggest cities in the country... yet somehow pretends one of them hardly exists.
Exactly.
Exactly

roadman

Quote from: storm2k on July 14, 2021, 03:36:47 PM
Couple of random pics from the NBHCE approaching Interchange 14 and the connections back to the mainline Turnpike.

Why is Newark Airport in white on brown?
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

famartin

Quote from: roadman on August 23, 2021, 11:03:42 AM

Not entirely sure, but NJDOT has been doing that on its roads for a while now. I guess the NJTA decided to match them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on August 23, 2021, 11:56:01 AM

Not entirely sure, but NJDOT has been doing that on its roads for a while now. I guess the NJTA decided to match them.

Personally I like it, but the State and its agencies aren't consistent about it. You won't find anything regarding Trenton's airport with a brown background.  And the SJTA doesn't do the same for ACY either on the ACX.

ekt8750

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 23, 2021, 01:49:37 PM

Personally I like it, but the State and its agencies aren't consistent about it. You won't find anything regarding Trenton's airport with a brown background.  And the SJTA doesn't do the same for ACY either on the ACX.

The proper color should be white on blue though should it not?

plain

Quote from: ekt8750 on August 23, 2021, 02:26:02 PM

Not so sure about that one.

Now, will you find such signage on the airport grounds? Sure. On freeways or even regular surface roads outside the airport grounds? Not so much.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Alps

EWR has always done white on brown for approach signing, with the special airport logo. NJTA ditched the logo, and maybe NJDOT will too someday. Most airports do not use any special background color, so it probably should be white on green (and you'll find a few signs like that off-airport).

famartin

Quote from: Alps on August 23, 2021, 06:37:25 PM

EWR has always done white on brown for approach signing, with the special airport logo. NJTA ditched the logo, and maybe NJDOT will too someday. Most airports do not use any special background color, so it probably should be white on green (and you'll find a few signs like that off-airport).

Didn't the old signs for 13A used to be all green?

roadman

Quote from: ekt8750 on August 23, 2021, 02:26:02 PM

Should be white on green.

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Alps

Quote from: famartin on August 23, 2021, 08:27:19 PM
Quote from: Alps on August 23, 2021, 06:37:25 PM

Didn't the old signs for 13A used to be all green?
Yes, and NJTA has never used the logo.

storm2k

Newark Airport is white on brown because for many decades all of the airport signage--both terminal and road signage was white on brown with the four color EWR logo. Most of its key wayfinding from roads afar was therefore also white on brown. Kinda like this. It's something the Turnpike Authority never bought into until the MUTCD-like signage redesign. The only example I know where they used white on brown and the EWR logo was this sign past the 13A toll plaza. It has since been replaced. The funny thing is that it looks like NJDOT is moving away from the white on brown for Airport signage and just doing the wording with no background, but keeping the EWR logo in place of the standard MUTCD airport pictogram, which I'm 102% fine with.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on August 24, 2021, 03:17:49 AM
Newark Airport is white on brown because for many decades all of the airport signage--both terminal and road signage was white on brown with the four color EWR logo. Most of its key wayfinding from roads afar was therefore also white on brown. Kinda like this. It's something the Turnpike Authority never bought into until the MUTCD-like signage redesign. The only example I know where they used white on brown and the EWR logo was this sign past the 13A toll plaza. It has since been replaced. The funny thing is that it looks like NJDOT is moving away from the white on brown for Airport signage and just doing the wording with no background, but keeping the EWR logo in place of the standard MUTCD airport pictogram, which I'm 102% fine with.
I can say this because new signs are now up, but EWR is rebranding with blue signs with a gold header and using a new torch logo instead of the tricolor airplane logo. So hopefully NJDOT moves away from that logo.

roadman65

Originally it was white on green, but the PANYNJ had signs that were white on black with a white arrow within a black circle as for crossings into NY.

Then Mid Eighties they changed them for the EWR logo which them became customary on large guides.

The Turnpike never changed them but continued using Newark Airport as well as Airport in the gore of the SB split of Cars and Truck Bus lanes before the cattle chute was built as the Car Lanes had no Exit 14 SB.

Why the Brown borders. Who knows.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: Alps on August 24, 2021, 10:09:56 PM
I can say this because new signs are now up, but EWR is rebranding with blue signs with a gold header and using a new torch logo instead of the tricolor airplane logo. So hopefully NJDOT moves away from that logo.

That is disappointing to me. EWR's colorful oval logo has always been a wonderfully unique identifier for the airport that also helped wayfinding from places near and far. Also, a move to blue signs is also disappointing to me. I've actually liked the signage system the airports have used for the last 20 or so years with the Frutiger font signage that I've always found mostly clean and more logically designed than the systems at a lot of other airports. I wonder if this heralds changes to the wayfinding system within the airport as well, since the BGS's at the airport are carefully tied to it.

02 Park Ave

White on brown is also used for "Six Flags" on a sign approaching Exit 7A.
C-o-H

famartin

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on August 25, 2021, 11:21:16 AM
That makes more sense, as I believe the white on brown is intended for recreational and cultural centers etc. Hence why it's confusing for it to be used for EWR.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on August 25, 2021, 02:09:57 AM
Quote from: Alps on August 24, 2021, 10:09:56 PM

That is disappointing to me. EWR's colorful oval logo has always been a wonderfully unique identifier for the airport that also helped wayfinding from places near and far. Also, a move to blue signs is also disappointing to me. I've actually liked the signage system the airports have used for the last 20 or so years with the Frutiger font signage that I've always found mostly clean and more logically designed than the systems at a lot of other airports. I wonder if this heralds changes to the wayfinding system within the airport as well, since the BGS's at the airport are carefully tied to it.
I suggest you pay a visit to EWR and see the new signs that are up!

roadman65

Also Virginia uses brown guides for Kings Dominion on I-95 and Busch Gardens on I-64.

GSV does show some of them at the terminals as Alps mentioned.

At least EWR has better signage than ACY (on the Parkway that is.) They were using airport shields on independent ground mounted posts, unless the recent 38-38A to 38 A & B changed that.

Sheryl Crowe

Steve D

Quote from: famartin on August 25, 2021, 04:48:52 PM
Quote from: 02 Park Ave on August 25, 2021, 11:21:16 AM
That makes more sense, as I believe the white on brown is intended for recreational and cultural centers etc. Hence why it's confusing for it to be used for EWR.

It is also used at exit 14B for Liberty State Park.  So it has more to do with "important places" (vs. a control city)  than any legacy signage colors used at Newark Airport.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.