News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Aizhai Bridge in China

Started by Grzrd, April 19, 2012, 03:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

This article has some good photos of the recently opened Aizhai Bridge in Hunan, reportedly the "the world's highest and longest tunnel-to-tunnel bridge".

agentsteel53

awesome.  good to see someone took some excellent photos of it, too.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Duke87

That worker walking on that beam... classy. The folks at OSHA would be shitting kittens if a photo like that were taken here!
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

CentralCAroadgeek

Pretty nice bridge! Very elegant in my opinion.
Quote from: Duke87 on April 19, 2012, 09:25:50 PM
That worker walking on that beam... classy. The folks at OSHA would be shitting kittens if a photo like that were taken here!
Not to sound stupid, but what is OSHA?

mgk920

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on April 19, 2012, 09:40:33 PM
Pretty nice bridge! Very elegant in my opinion.
Quote from: Duke87 on April 19, 2012, 09:25:50 PM
Not to sound stupid, but what is OSHA?

It is the 'Occupational Safety and Health Administration', an agency of the USA's federal government (Department of Labor).  They have a reputation of being exceedingly anal-retentive, levying big-a** fines for the slightest infractions of the pickiest and most obscure safety rules in industrial workplaces (like a piece of aisle marking tape being slightly misaligned on a floor).  At times, they act almost like the broomsticks in the Sorcerer's Apprentice.

Mike

triplemultiplex

Hmm, look at those blue tunnel-cage looking things on the outer edge of the structure.  Possibly for pedestrians?  There was no sidewalk or anything on the main deck of the bridge.

Anyway, absolutely gorgeous bridge.  The design of the bridge towers are what really set it off.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kkt

Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 27, 2012, 04:32:27 PM
Hmm, look at those blue tunnel-cage looking things on the outer edge of the structure.  Possibly for pedestrians?  There was no sidewalk or anything on the main deck of the bridge.

Anyway, absolutely gorgeous bridge.  The design of the bridge towers are what really set it off.

Just guessing, but to me they don't look big enough for pedestrians.  Maybe for utilities -- power lines or pipelines?

kphoger

Quote from: kkt on May 19, 2012, 01:34:18 AM

Just guessing, but to me they don't look big enough for pedestrians.  Maybe for utilities -- power lines or pipelines?

It's China.  People are shoter there.

(Ducks for cover)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SteveG1988

Quote from: kphoger on May 19, 2012, 11:43:10 AM
Quote from: kkt on May 19, 2012, 01:34:18 AM

It's China.  People are shoter there.

(Ducks for cover)

If you were chinese, you would not need to duck for cover.

Seriously though, that is probably a maintence conduit, for use in inspecting the span, and carrying data across a bridge. I do not see it being used for power since the lines there look a bit wimpy to be carrying anything but bridge power. Possibly a fiber line+bridge power
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.