News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Pacific Southwest / Re: Route 1/Rice Avenue in Oxn...
Last post by oscar - Today at 03:43:45 PM
Quote from: pderocco on Today at 01:39:16 AMBoy, that's sloppy--it should have been further to the left, and a darker green. And the following sign doesn't have the route 1 badge on it at all. CalTrans sure knows how to build roads, but they seem to give the signing jobs to dimwits.
Not new news. The route 1 sign shown in reply #126 was also a sloppy application.
Off-Topic / Re: Biden to step down of bein...
Last post by 1995hoo - Today at 03:38:02 PM
Quote from: snowc on Today at 02:58:07 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on Today at 02:35:47 PMI'm sure the moderators will close this thread, but I think your subject line is misleading, at least so far. He hasn't said he's resigning as president (as Nixon did). He said he won't run for reelection. Very big difference.

I don't want to violate forum rules about political discussion, so I'll leave it there because I think what I just said is purely factual.
Ok, so this might possibly violate the rules of politics? Just thinking this could be closed as no one is allowed to talk about politics. Sorry.

Well, this is what the forum rules say (see below). I think the issue is that just about any thread about politics tends to devolve into sniping sooner or later, so the moderators usually lock them. With that said, today's announcement is certainly a very historic political moment regardless of anyone's opinion about any of the candidates or about whether the President should or should not be running.

QuotePolitical discussion is discouraged. Since discussion of roads will always involve politics to some degree, it is not outright banned, but members are instructed to remember that this forum is frequented by many people with diverse political beliefs, and strive to avoid protracted debate on the subject. The staff reserves the right to limit debate on political topics if a moderator judges the topic to be too divisive.
Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by bm7 - Today at 03:31:52 PM
Isn't driving on hilly roads sometimes actually more efficient? If you don't have to use the accelerator at all going down a hill, it makes up for the extra gas used uphill.
Pacific Southwest / Re: Route 1/Rice Avenue in Oxn...
Last post by pderocco - Today at 03:26:29 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on Today at 05:12:08 AM
Quote from: GaryA on Today at 02:22:34 AMAnd, once you take the Rice Ave offramp, there's nothing to tell you whether to turn left or right to reach the next segment of CA 1. Some drivers will know that CA 1 is along the coast (or at least closer to it than US 101), and that the coast is on their right, but that's not obvious.

Isn't the next Route 1 sign all the way at the Rice Avenue/Oxnard Boulevard junction?  I haven't been out there in several years but I recall that that's been the case for some time.

I do get we are in the post-highway expansion era where route relinquishments are common (thus situations like the Route 160 gap in Sacramento between Richards Boulevard and I-5/Freeport) but this Rice Avenue realignment was planned since the 1970s and enacted starting in 2009-2010, yet only got signed from US 101 for the first time ever last year.  Those Route 1 patches could have and should have been put up a decade ago!

(And US 101 in San Francisco along Van Ness north of about McAllister has become very poorly signed since the MUNI bus lane project ended - part of that project entailed getting rid of old decorative poles along the street, many of which carried the 101 shields pre-pandemic

Putting route number signs on roads is fraught because they have multiple conflicting purposes. Most people would like route 1 to be signed all the way up and down Rice Ave, because we use such signs to guide us. CalTrans probably balks at that because they use such signs to tell people that they're responsible for maintaining the road, and they haven't accepted responsibility yet for Rice Ave.
Last post by WillWeaverRVA - Today at 03:04:19 PM
Posting in epic(ly incorrect) thread.
Last post by Max Rockatansky - Today at 03:02:42 PM
In before lock.
Last post by Hunty2022 - Today at 02:59:10 PM
Quote from: Road Hog on Today at 02:43:37 PMIn before the deletion!
I wonder which moderator will close this thread...
Last post by snowc - Today at 02:58:07 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on Today at 02:35:47 PMI'm sure the moderators will close this thread, but I think your subject line is misleading, at least so far. He hasn't said he's resigning as president (as Nixon did). He said he won't run for reelection. Very big difference.

I don't want to violate forum rules about political discussion, so I'll leave it there because I think what I just said is purely factual.
Ok, so this might possibly violate the rules of politics? Just thinking this could be closed as no one is allowed to talk about politics. Sorry.
Last post by Road Hog - Today at 02:43:37 PM
In before the deletion!
Quote from: Flint1979 on Today at 09:05:45 AM
Quote from: vdeane on Today at 08:00:10 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 20, 2024, 11:20:31 PMCongestion is a problem because the bridge is two lanes in each direction and almost always has a lane closed for one reason or another. Trucks exceeding 30 tons the speed limit is 20 mph, how is the toll plaza the reason for the congestion? You stop for about 5 seconds and then go at the toll booth. Every time I cross the bridge there is truck traffic holding the flow up. The lack of EZPass is not the reason for congestion on the Mackinac Bridge.
As noted upthread, the AADT on the Mac is about 20k.  Assuming traffic triples on peak travel days, and we're looking at around 60k.  Plenty of four-lane roads handle that just fine.  They could stand to raise the truck speed limit, but really, what do you expect to happen if everyone needs to stop for 30 seconds to pay the toll?  That delay adds up.  When you have people stopping, the delay always increases for the car behind, as they need to wait not just 30 seconds to pay the toll, but 30 seconds for everyone ahead of them as well.

The old Williamsville toll barrier on the Thruway was probably comparable to peak days on the Mac.  In the direction that paid cash, it had 7 lanes, 5 cash, two E-ZPass.  So if MacPass and E-ZPass became interoperable, they switched to one-way tolling, and they opened up the "emergency" lanes, we could probably get the same 7 lanes in one direction (I'm assuming we'd need three of the existing ten, including emergency, for the two lanes of the other direction, including shoulders), though I'd only have one MacPass/E-ZPass lane initially until adoption is higher.
In 2023 (the last year with full year stats) the Mackinac Bridge had 4,456,148 crossings. That's 12,208 crossings a day, nowhere near the 20,000 you said. The month of July had 638,241 crossings to make July the busiest month at the bridge. That's 20,588 crossings a day in the month of July also nowhere near the 60,000 you said. The Mackinac Bridge has never averaged 60,000 crossings a day not even in a single month. The truck speed limit should stay exactly where it is, you are carrying over 30,000 tons of weight across the bridge why should the truck speed limit be any higher? And it's not 30 seconds, it's about 5 seconds that you are stopped to pay the toll.
Dude, whatever the case is, You're just trying to find whatever reason you can justify not implementing something that would be a convenience to people using the bridge. You can throw all the numbers you want and tell people their numbers are a little bit off, even though the other person literally said in their post they were just using an example on the extreme end, But you're hyper focused I'm trying to find any reason to not implement electronic tolling that would be interoperable With other tolling tags. At this point it either seems like you're trolling or you're just insane.

Please provide a single valid reason why there should not be an interoperable all electronic tolling system on the Mackinaw bridge.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.