News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off-Topic / Re: New Oklahoma City Skyscrap...
Last post by Road Hog - Today at 02:14:15 AM
With the commercial office space situation post-covid, I'd be stunned if there's another major skyscraper not already in the pipeline built in the next 20 years.
Off-Topic / Re: My idea for US currency re...
Last post by Road Hog - Today at 01:51:32 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 22, 2024, 07:25:34 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 22, 2024, 10:15:00 AMTo me, the biggest visual cue about the old-style money was that different bills had different numbers on them indicating their value.  :awesomeface:

Doesn't really help much when you've got a strap of 99 $20s with one $5 stuck in it somewhere.

So you got 99 $20s but a $20 ain't one?
Pacific Southwest / Re: CA 203
Last post by cl94 - Today at 01:26:09 AM
Quote from: pderocco on April 22, 2024, 08:50:13 PMWhat tunnel was that? Something in the Alps?

Arlberg and Gotthard are both from that period. Construction of both started in the early 70s, both opened late 70s-1980. Now, Europe is much more willing to build long tunnels than we are, but that length isn't a real problem.
Sports / Re: General NBA thread
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 12:54:37 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 17, 2024, 12:41:07 PMAnd the Lakers "won" the right to get swept by the Nuggets for the second consecutive year.

Mmmhmmm.
Mid-South / Re: I-69 in TX
Last post by splashflash - Today at 12:35:36 AM
Good I-69 progress projection
https://www.dailysentinel.com/news/local/txdot-i-69-wont-be-funded-until-2034/article_cd8b98f0-0ed3-59ec-aa67-858bfe9ea0ee.html

A massive construction project at south Loop 224 is set to be complete in late 2026, but it will be more than a decade before an interstate highway goes all the way through Nacogdoches.

Just over 28 miles of interstate are under construction within TxDOT's nine-county Lufkin District, including Nacogdoches' U.S. 59 and Loop 224 interchange reconfiguration.

Another oft discussed I-69 project is the reconstruction of the U.S. 59 and U.S. 259 intersection, long known as a dicey spot for commercial trucks due to accidents. The project, which will remove the cloverleaf-style intersection and add ramps and access roads, isn't expected to begin construction until 2029.

"I think it's going to take three to four years to purchase all that property and then relocate utilities," Adams said.

A third I-69 project — reconstruction of the west Loop to include access roads — is even further down on the timeline. It will be recommended for funding in the state's 2025 10-year plan for construction in 2034.
Off-Topic / Re: Technology Random Access T...
Last post by kurumi - Today at 12:30:05 AM
I remember long ago writing an in-house app using C and curses to track satellite telemetry. It was text-mode only, with a spreadsheet-like interface, and a super crude "best effort" chart feature using line drawing characters and the 80x25 screen. And: a macro language using recursive descent parsing. The tools were primitive, but the job was great fun.
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 12:04:54 AM
Some fun anti-counterfeiting features of the current series you may not know about: the portraits of Franklin and Grant on the $100 and $50 incorporate tiny writing in them (look at their shirt collars).

Also, the vertical strip that appears when you hold the bill up to the light glows under a blacklight, with different colors for different denominations (pink for $100s, yellow for $50s, green for $20s, orange for $10s, blue for $5s). The blacklight was my go-to counterfeit detection method when I worked the cash cage; most counterfeiters don't even know that strip changes colors, much less are able to replicate it.
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 12:00:47 AM
The blue star and red torch on the $50 and $10 respectively both use the metallic ink, and the number in the lower-right corner of the obverse changes from copper to green when tilted, as the numbers on the lower-right of the $100 and $20 do. (On the 1996-style N-type bills, this was green to black. However, the maker of this ink limits sells each color pair to only one country at a time, and the one North Korea got was similar enough to the green-black that it is theorized they were using it to counterfeit US notes. So we changed to green-copper with the 2004 series.)

The $5 has no color-changing or metallic ink because it's such a low denomination. And the ink on the back of the $100 isn't metallic; that's just plain mustard-yellow ink that's printed in a pattern that suggests a metallic appearance.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by ran4sh - April 22, 2024, 11:46:44 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 22, 2024, 11:04:40 PMIt's like the song My Maryland is the tune of the Christmas Carol   O Tannenbaum. They write lyrics and apply them to old songs.

And "The Red Flag" as well, which is the anthem of a political party in the UK.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Ohio
Last post by TempoNick - April 22, 2024, 11:44:52 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on April 22, 2024, 08:47:48 PMDOTs for the most part do not care about aesthetics, they just care about efficient traffic flow. This varies from state to state obviously but it isn't their job to make it pretty.

In Nevada, they don't have to care. Everything is wide open. But in a place like Ohio, there is a lot of visual pollution and the ugly freeway designs don't help matters. Nothing wrong with some greenery.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.