Toll lanes lead way to major expansion of highway capacity in Va. and Md.

Started by cpzilliacus, December 26, 2014, 12:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: Toll lanes lead way to major expansion of highway capacity in Virginia and Maryland

QuoteThe same year that Metro opened the Silver Line may be remembered by commuters as the year that highways launched a comeback.

QuoteOn Monday, the 95 Express Lanes will become high-occupancy toll lanes, combining with the 2-year-old HOT lanes on the Capital Beltway to form a network stretching from the outer suburbs in Stafford County, Va., to the office buildings and shopping centers of Tysons Corner.

QuoteThis people-moving system already dwarfs the mileage that the Silver Line is adding to Metrorail. And the administration of Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) is studying an expansion of the HOT lanes to Interstate 66.

QuoteMeanwhile, Maryland this fall completed the Intercounty Connector, which now stretches between Route 1 in Prince George's County and Interstate 370 in Montgomery County. The state also opened the I-95 Express Toll Lanes along a congested portion of the interstate northeast of Baltimore.

QuoteThe District Department of Transportation announced in 2014 that it would study the possibility of adding HOT lanes to freeways stretching from I-295 at the Maryland border to the 14th Street Bridge.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.