News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Potential Portsmouth, OH road meet this year

Started by hbelkins, June 09, 2017, 11:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What 2017 date would you prefer for a road meet in the Portsmouth, OH area?

Don't vote for July 15. It's officially off the table.
2 (15.4%)
Don't vote for July 22 either. It's officially off the table as well.
0 (0%)
Sometime in September
7 (53.8%)
Later in the year than September
4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

hbelkins

I'm seriously considering a small meet to look at construction of the Portsmouth, Ohio bypass. I intend to go up that way tomorrow (Saturday, June 10) to check out the new Ironton-Russell Bridge and then head north to see various vantage points for the bypass construction. (ODOT sent out a very helpful email identifying work locations that I can use to scout out possible stops.)

Tentative plans are to eat at Fat Patty's in Ashland (where we had lunch at my 2013 Tri-State meet) and then head north on US 23 to see the new bridge (which was under construction in 2013) and then go up US 52 to the Wheelersburg-Portsmouth area, then find three or four stops to view construction. Return route would be via US 23 across the new U.S. Grant Bridge and back to Ashland.

I put up two possible dates in July for this meet, and also options for holding this meet later this fall. (I know of no meets scheduled after the Aug. 5 Minnesota meet). I also am seriously considering a western Kentucky meet to see I-69 conversion construction and the new US 68/KY 80 bridges over Kentucky Lake (completed) and Lake Barkley (under construction). That meet would definitely have to be in the fall because scouting it would eat up two days of my time. Portsmouth, by contrast, is only about 2 1/2 hours from me so it's easy to check out.

There's no closing date on the poll, but anyone who's interested in a July meet needs to vote soon so I can make plans.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

A.J. Bertin

I will consider this as a possibility. My summer is looking quite busy, so I voted for September as the time frame on this. There is talk of a Columbus OH meet in October, and  then there's the Ashtabula OH meet Doug Kerr is tentatively planning for November. Looks like we could have one road meet in Ohio each month for three consecutive months!
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on June 09, 2017, 01:49:56 PM
I will consider this as a possibility. My summer is looking quite busy, so I voted for September as the time frame on this. There is talk of a Columbus OH meet in October, and  then there's the Ashtabula OH meet Doug Kerr is tentatively planning for November. Looks like we could have one road meet in Ohio each month for three consecutive months!

I'd forgotten about the Ashtabula meet, even though I saw Doug's scouting pictures on Facebook. I must have missed the discussion about a Columbus meet, or maybe I just forgot about it.

jpi

I voted for September, if it is early or mid Sept. I have a better chance then the later part of the month.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Duke87

I likewise cannot do either of the July dates. Would have to be September or later for me to have a shot at coming.

But this is not something I'm actively aiming to make it to, so don't plan around me. I do want to make it to one of the Ohio meets this fall, but doubt I will go to more than one.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

dgolub

There's already the meet in the Adirondacks in July, and things are busy at work for me that month, so I don't know that it would work all that well to do two meets.  September could work as long as it doesn't conflict with Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur.

A.J. Bertin

Labor Day weekend for me is out because I'll be returning from a long road trip out west with my husband at that time. I wouldn't be too keen on going on another road trip the following weekend, so my preference would be either September 16, 23, or 30. However, I have to decide which Ohio meets to attend this fall. It's unlikely that I will attend all three, and I've already kinda decided that one of those three will be Ashtabula. If both Portsmouth and Columbus happen, I'll have to pick one of those two.
-A.J. from Michigan

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: hbelkins on June 09, 2017, 03:02:51 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on June 09, 2017, 01:49:56 PM

I'd forgotten about the Ashtabula meet, even though I saw Doug's scouting pictures on Facebook. I must have missed the discussion about a Columbus meet, or maybe I just forgot about it.

H.B, you have the last post in the Columbus Road Meet thread.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=19902.0
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

vdeane

Possible.  I'm planning on attending the Ashtabula meet (and NYC if it happens), and had originally planned on one more meet with overnights this year, but the fact that I will be driving to Florida next year (and hope to go all the way to Key West while I'm there) is causing me to rethink that, since I could use the savings for the Florida trip (which will be the longest I've ever taken), and if I have money left over, I hope to attend the CSVT meet that will be happening next year.  I personally think this one seems more interesting to me than Columbus.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

If it's in late August or September, a definite possibility for me. It's an area I haven't been to in well over 10 years.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hbelkins

Went up to the Portsmouth area today to scope some things out. Based on what I saw, I believe I can get a small meet out of the bypass project with a handful of stops. It appears that the entire corridor is under construction now. It's just a shame that it's not going to extend all the way to US 52 east of town to provide a full bypass.

Upon further review, July 15 is off the table. I will want to go up the weekend before to see if any of the closed roads are opened back up (and vice-versa, if any of the roads that would be on the tour have been closed) and I will either be at the Adirondacks meet (looking less likely) on the 8th or possibly on another short trip.

So July 22 is the only option for the summer. I've got quite a bit going on in August so that won't be a good time for me to try to work a meet in, so if I don't pull the trigger for July 22, we're looking at late September or October. I'll watch the poll and see when some of the other proposed meets get dates attached to them, and go from there.

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on June 10, 2017, 10:43:40 AM

H.B, you have the last post in the Columbus Road Meet thread.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=19902.0

So I do. Like I said, I'm getting forgetful. I'd even forgotten there was a thread about it.

hbelkins

This will not be happening on July 22. I'm going to put it off until later this fall or possibly next spring, as the project will still be ongoing.

What is most likely to happen this fall is a western Kentucky meet to focus on the Purchase Parkway's conversion to I-69 and the bridges carrying US 68/KY 80 over Kentucky Lake (completed) and Lake Barkley (under construction).

Plans are for me to go scout the area this weekend and finalize the route, and try the restaurant I have in mind for lunch and see if it will be suitable. Expect a poll for a date sometime next week.

74/171FAN

I'd probably come to this if it is next year.  My parents' 40th anniversary is in April so I do plan to go see them that weekend, but I cannot think of any other big roadtrip plans for next year other than another one to the Adriondacks again in June.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hbelkins

This one is indefinitely postponed. I've decided to go with a western Kentucky meet (see poll and post elsewhere) and either do this as a mini-meet later in the year, or next spring. This project isn't going to be finished anytime soon.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

H.B....
Do you have any interest in reviving this meet for the summer?
(Only asking for calendar purposes)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hbelkins

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on April 22, 2018, 10:30:22 PM
H.B....
Do you have any interest in reviving this meet for the summer?
(Only asking for calendar purposes)

I do, but I have no date in mind yet.

This will require one more scouting trip to finalize the tour route and get the time and mileage down for itinerary purposes. Portsmouth is just 2.5 hours away, so I just need to pick a Saturday and go do it.

A.J. Bertin

I'm still very interested in the timing is right.
-A.J. from Michigan

cl94

If timing is right, there's a decent chance I could still make it, too. Excuse to get a boatload of counties in OH (possibly finishing it off), KY, and/or WV.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hbelkins

It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to pull this one off in terms of hosting. I would be glad to share scouting notes with anyone else who might be interested in hosting, and probably would be able to attend, but I don't think hosting is an option this year. I guess the project is still on schedule to be finished by the end of the year, but I'm not positive.

If someone else wants to pick this up and run with it, get in touch.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: hbelkins on August 10, 2018, 10:34:03 PM
It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to pull this one off in terms of hosting. I would be glad to share scouting notes with anyone else who might be interested in hosting, and probably would be able to attend, but I don't think hosting is an option this year. I guess the project is still on schedule to be finished by the end of the year, but I'm not positive.

Is this something you would consider hosting next year?
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on August 11, 2018, 09:56:13 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 10, 2018, 10:34:03 PM

Is this something you would consider hosting next year?

The project is supposed to be finished later this year, so I don't know what else there might be to see. So I honestly don't know.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.