News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Who else has a fear of touching electric poles?

Started by Roadgeekteen, February 17, 2019, 09:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

You always learn as a kid that touching electric wires outside is dangerous. But for some reason, I am also scared of touching the poles itself. Anyone else feel this way?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

Nope.

I once accidentally gave myself an electric shock in my right arm while rewiring an in-wall timer. So I then used my other arm and got another shock to even things out.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sparker

Wooden poles, not so much; I learned about non-metallic insulators early on (courtesy of owning model trains), and wood (unless soaking wet) is a dandy insulator.  Metal transmission-line towers -- now that's another thing.  Now they're supposed to be insulated from the bare conductor wires by ceramic or glass insulators, but coming close to them (they're a great pathway to literal and figurative ground) sometimes gives me the heebie-jeebies.  Now -- I often work with vacuum-tube amplifiers that have 500+ volt plate supplies without a lot of worry -- but the thought of my old body being an alternate ground path for 10KV isn't terribly appealing. 

MNHighwayMan

If a conductor is shorting to ground through a utility pole, you're probably going to get shocked before you can even touch the pole.

catch22

Wooden poles?  No.  I was a telephone installer back in the 1970s and climbed thousands of them without incident.  Wood is a pretty good insulator. Having said that, you need to be mindful of those poles that have a ground conductor (sometimes bare wire) coming down from the power lines.  It's possible in some fault conditions for that wire to be conducting a fair amount of power, especially after storms.

Metal poles that also had power lines on them (rare in the area I worked)?  Call for the bucket truck.  :)

abefroman329

I do, but I also don't see why I would ever need to touch one.

renegade

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 18, 2019, 08:41:34 AM
I do, but I also don't see why I would ever need to touch one.
That's what she said!   :bigass:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

briantroutman

I've never been remotely afraid of getting shocked by touching a utility pole, but I learned to stay clear of them when I touched one as a young child and found my palms covered in creosote.

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

abefroman329

GaryV

I'd have a fear of touching electric poles ... with my car ... at a high speed.

Otherwise, no.

Brandon

Quote from: briantroutman on February 18, 2019, 11:37:18 AM
I've never been remotely afraid of getting shocked by touching a utility pole, but I learned to stay clear of them when I touched one as a young child and found my palms covered in creosote.

Yeah, that's pretty nasty shit.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jakeroot

I used to lean on one pretty regularly as a child, both while waiting at the school bus stop, and while hanging out in front of my house (waiting for friends, usually). So no fear for me.

Now, with that said, virtually all telegraph (telephone?) poles around WA are wooden, and those don't naturally conduct electricity...being my practical self, I see no reason to fear a wooden pole.

A metal pole? I could see some fear in that, although the government wouldn't leave active shock risks within reach of everyday humans.

SectorZ

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 17, 2019, 09:31:36 PM
You always learn as a kid that touching electric wires outside is dangerous. But for some reason, I am also scared of touching the poles itself. Anyone else feel this way?

No one ever said fears needed to make a lot of sense. I can't believe some of the things that bug me yet meanwhile I can be completely unfazed by thinks that should scare me.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jakeroot on February 18, 2019, 06:05:32 PM
I used to lean on one pretty regularly as a child, both while waiting at the school bus stop, and while hanging out in front of my house (waiting for friends, usually). So no fear for me.

Now, with that said, virtually all telegraph (telephone?) poles around WA are wooden, and those don't naturally conduct electricity...being my practical self, I see no reason to fear a wooden pole.

A metal pole? I could see some fear in that, although the government wouldn't leave active shock risks within reach of everyday humans.
I've never seen a metal pole.

MNHighwayMan

noelbotevera

Revive 755

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 18, 2019, 10:09:18 PM

Would one of the poles in the background here count?

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: noelbotevera on February 18, 2019, 10:21:54 PM
...Is that in somebody's house?

According to the website I stole that from, it's a rental you can get for parties.

Big John

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 18, 2019, 10:24:58 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 18, 2019, 10:09:18 PM

Would one of the poles in the background here count?
Or smaller all-metal poles seen here: https://goo.gl/maps/YvGpgyxsDuQ2

Max Rockatansky

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Big John on February 18, 2019, 10:41:35 PM
Or smaller all-metal poles seen here: https://goo.gl/maps/YvGpgyxsDuQ2

Those are some of the cleanest, neatest utility lines I have ever seen.

Roadgeekteen

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.