News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted$8roadFan

I'd say the 295N to 95N loop (and 95N to 295) needs to be a higher priority.

shadyjay

95N->295S isn't as high of a priority.  However, if the current 295N->95N was moved/removed and replaced with a left flyover, the 95N->295S ramp could possibly go before the I-295 overpass, eliminating the loop.

Or maybe they still have plans to build the Attleboro Connector.  Who knows? 

pderocco

Quote from: shadyjay on May 15, 2024, 03:31:57 PMI wonder if there's enough room to sneak in a ramp from I-295 North, going left to parallel the existing I-95N->I-295S ramp, essentially making the interchange a trumpet. 
That would be the obvious solution.
Quote from: shadyjay on May 15, 2024, 03:31:57 PMThe ideal solution would be a flyover that enters I-95 North on the left and sets you up pretty good to "add a lane" up to Route 128 in Canton/Dedham.
Left side on or off ramps are almost unheard of these days.

shadyjay

Tell that to ConnDOT, then.  A couple years ago, they created a new left exit on I-91 North in Hartford and have another one going in soon in Meriden.  I know they're not preferred, but it could be done in the I-295 to I-95 case relatively easy, and the wide variable median makes the dropoff point only require a bridge over one direction of I-95. 

dantheman

Quote from: shadyjay on May 15, 2024, 03:31:57 PMLooks like MassDOT is tweaking the ramp from I-295 North to I-95 South in Attleboro:
https://www.mass.gov/info-details/about-the-i-295-ramp-i-95-southbound-over-ten-mile-river-project

It's funny to me that the map they used to illustrate the project hasn't been updated since a similar realignment of the 95 SB-to-295 SB ramp, almost ten years ago. You can see the outline of the new ramp in the background terrain shading but the line for the actual road still follows the windier old alignment (which left space for a loop ramp that was never needed).

pderocco

Quote from: shadyjay on May 16, 2024, 04:16:53 PMTell that to ConnDOT, then.  A couple years ago, they created a new left exit on I-91 North in Hartford and have another one going in soon in Meriden.  I know they're not preferred, but it could be done in the I-295 to I-95 case relatively easy, and the wide variable median makes the dropoff point only require a bridge over one direction of I-95. 
It all depends on the state's policy. Mass may still be in the 20th century, so to speak. But it would still be a lot easier to do a trumpet, because that would just be a piece of road on the ground, no new bridge work. They're never going to build the Attleboro connector. Although I'll miss those flashing yellow arrows on the big white barriers. They're so 1970s.

Ted$8roadFan

In fairness, most people on I-295 travel well above the speed limit 🤚, so a left lane merge on to I-95N would not necessarily be a bad thing, except during times of heavy traffic.

kernals12

I have clinched the MassPike, from Logan Airport to the New York Border

Rothman

Quote from: kernals12 on May 18, 2024, 03:04:17 PMI have clinched the MassPike, from Logan Airport to the New York Border
Quote from: kernals12 on May 18, 2024, 03:04:17 PMI have clinched the MassPike, from Logan Airport to the New York Border

C'mon, Kernals.  You know this isn't the thread for that kind of announcement:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=1224.0
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kernals12

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on May 15, 2024, 07:04:44 PMI'd say the 295N to 95N loop (and 95N to 295) needs to be a higher priority.

I completely forgot 295 crosses the border into Mass.

bob7374

Speaking of I-295, I have posted photos of the new signage recently put up in both directions in Attleboro, simply duplicates of the old signage but with no more new exit number overlays:

On my Misc. Mass. Sign Photos Gallery.

kramie13

I was on I-295 this past weekend.  All of the overhead and gore signs have been replaced in both directions.  One odd thing I've noticed is that some of the yellow "Old Exit XX" signs were removed but others remain (notably, the ones at 1 mile advance signs).  Compare this to the ongoing US 3 sign replacement project where all of the old exit signs have been removed at least north of I-495.

My guess is that the old exit signs from the exit renumbering will be removed when the "regular" green highway exit signs get replaced.  But MassDOT is being inconsistent with it.  I-295 doesn't need the old exit signs anymore, being such a short route in MA with only 2 interchanges.

kramie13

Boston TV stations were reporting traffic slowdowns on Rte. 24 north this morning due to a tractor-trailer fire at "the horse bridge".  Where exactly is that?

bob7374

According to the MassDOT project page, the MA 128 sign replacement project from Peabody to Gloucester got its notice to proceed on Monday, 5/21. No word on the I-495 project advertised at the same time as of yet.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: kramie13 on May 24, 2024, 08:53:07 AMBoston TV stations were reporting traffic slowdowns on Rte. 24 north this morning due to a tractor-trailer fire at "the horse bridge".  Where exactly is that?

It is on MA-24 just south of its beginning (or end) at I-93 in Randolph. It is part of the Blue Hills Reservation   

https://www.unistresscorp.com/project/rte-24-randolph-ma/

kramie13

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on May 24, 2024, 11:57:54 AM
Quote from: kramie13 on May 24, 2024, 08:53:07 AMBoston TV stations were reporting traffic slowdowns on Rte. 24 north this morning due to a tractor-trailer fire at "the horse bridge".  Where exactly is that?

It is on MA-24 just south of its beginning (or end) at I-93 in Randolph. It is part of the Blue Hills Reservation   

Thanks.  However, it would have been better to report this as "a tractor trailer fire on 24 north just before I-93" instead of "at the horse bridge".  If you're going to report the traffic, your goal is to help the listeners/viewers avoid a slowdown, not confuse them!

shadyjay

Actually, the TV/radio stations would have reported "tractor trailer fire on 24 North just before 128". 
 :D

SectorZ

Quote from: shadyjay on May 28, 2024, 04:26:35 PMActually, the TV/radio stations would have reported "tractor trailer fire on 24 North just before 128". 
 :D

Don't jest, Fox25 still calls that section of I-93 by 128. There are middle-aged people that don't even know it by that by now.

dantheman

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on May 24, 2024, 11:57:54 AM

Oddly, this is labeled as "Fire Bridge" on Google Maps. Is that some joker reacting to the fire last week by adding a new Google Place, or has it always been labeled as such? There are two user reviews from two years ago, but maybe someone changed the name more recently.

Bad week for MA 24... yesterday (only three days later), a tractor-trailer hit the support for an overhead sign gantry further south, closing the highway in both directions for a few hours so the sign could be taken down. Just what we needed to keep traffic moving on Memorial Day. https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/tractor-trailer-gets-stuck-on-route-24-guardrail-in-west-bridgewater/3380806/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.