News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Alabama

Started by codyg1985, November 02, 2011, 07:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clong

Announcement of US280 road widening - 1 additional lane in each direction between Lakeshore Drive and Perimeter Park (just outside I-459).
https://issuu.com/280living/docs/vv_1223_issuu

formulanone

Alabama 304 is officially posted, though only on the very short stretch from I-65 to Lindsey Lane alongside the Buc-ee's. I believe Cody mentioned it about 2-3 years ago in the ALDOT letting notes. There is also a unisign on the off-ramp from I-65 which points both East and West, but I couldn't get a clear photo of it.

Construction continues on Huntsville-Brownsferry Road from US 31 to I-65, and traffic has shifted to the new alignment (also not yet signed).

Curiously, Huntsville-Brownsferry Road has a Limestone County Road sign just east of Lindsay Lane, making it the only posted Limestone County road; the other CR24 shield is pointing the way out of Buc-ee's...

freebrickproductions

Quote from: formulanone on December 15, 2023, 09:42:53 AM
Curiously, Huntsville-Brownsferry Road has a Limestone County Road sign just east of Lindsay Lane, making it the only posted Limestone County road; the other CR24 shield is pointing the way out of Buc-ee's...

I seem to recall seeing one on the NW side of Athens earlier this year, just south of AL 99.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

ttownfeen

I don't think that's an issue limited to Limestone County. It is odd that more country roads are not posted in general.

froggie

Quote from: ttownfeen on January 04, 2024, 01:59:00 PM
I don't think that's an issue limited to Limestone County. It is odd that more country roads are not posted in general.

Off the top of my head, Mobile, Jefferson, and Madison are all bad or non-existent.  Last I checked, Madison doesn't even have county routes. County roads, sure, but if you look at ALDOT's county general map, you'll notice a complete lack of county route shields.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: froggie on January 04, 2024, 06:11:13 PM

Off the top of my head, Mobile, Jefferson, and Madison are all bad or non-existent.  Last I checked, Madison doesn't even have county routes. County roads, sure, but if you look at ALDOT's county general map, you'll notice a complete lack of county route shields.

I believe there are designated county route numbers, but Madison County does not sign them on any level. When Old Highway 431 in Hampton Cove was closed for bridge work these past few years, the detour was signed with county route shields, a bit unusually, though I believe that was the contractor's doing.

Morgan County used to have county routes, but when they adopted a 911 system in the 90s, as I understand it, the county route numbers were depreciated in favor of road names. The last county route shield I'm aware of in Morgan County was along US 231 in Lacey's Springs, but it was removed sometime a few years back. Marshall County is another one that doesn't post their county routes, in fact, I'm not aware of any county route numbers assigned there. I believe Etowah County is the same way in that they don't sign county routes.

Colbert County still seems to use a mix of County Route shields and street names, though every signed county route also has an associated name for the road.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

sturmde

Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 05, 2024, 12:26:51 AM

I believe there are designated county route numbers, but Madison County does not sign them on any level. When Old Highway 431 in Hampton Cove was closed for bridge work these past few years, the detour was signed with county route shields, a bit unusually, though I believe that was the contractor's doing.

Morgan County used to have county routes, but when they adopted a 911 system in the 90s, as I understand it, the county route numbers were depreciated in favor of road names. The last county route shield I'm aware of in Morgan County was along US 231 in Lacey's Springs, but it was removed sometime a few years back. Marshall County is another one that doesn't post their county routes, in fact, I'm not aware of any county route numbers assigned there. I believe Etowah County is the same way in that they don't sign county routes.

Colbert County still seems to use a mix of County Route shields and street names, though every signed county route also has an associated name for the road.

Quite the contrast with nearby Cullman County, and Auburn's Lee County... where every road in the county outside city limits has a County Road number as the address!  Cullman has 4 digit numbers as a result... I think Lee only went into 3 digits.  Reminds me though, Pike County has 4 digit county routes, and a strange quadrant system where many routes have a doubled digit start...

froggie

I believe there are designated county route numbers, but Madison County does not sign them on any level.

If you have a source, I'd love to see it.  In 25+ years of looking (dating back to my Meridian days), I have yet to find one...at least at ALDOT's level.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: froggie on January 05, 2024, 04:17:47 PM

I believe there are designated county route numbers, but Madison County does not sign them on any level.

If you have a source, I'd love to see it.  In 25+ years of looking (dating back to my Meridian days), I have yet to find one...at least at ALDOT's level.

I've typically found them on FRA inventory reports, and, of course, the county route shields that went-up for the Old Highway 431 detour in Hampton Cove. I'll have to dig out my photos of the latter.

(They/Them)

Avalanchez71

Alabama 304 is officially posted, though only on the very short stretch from I-65 to Lindsey Lane alongside the Buc-ee's. I believe Cody mentioned it about 2-3 years ago in the ALDOT letting notes. There is also a unisign on the off-ramp from I-65 which points both East and West, but I couldn't get a clear photo of it.

Construction continues on Huntsville-Brownsferry Road from US 31 to I-65, and traffic has shifted to the new alignment (also not yet signed).

CR 83 says hello off of SR 251, CR 83 is posted.
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.8132434,-86.9303719,3a,15y,64.88h,85.91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scxzJKuKWt6uZ1gWVna7khQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

formulanone

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 09, 2024, 09:09:19 PM

[...]

CR 83 says hello off of SR 251, CR 83 is posted.
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.8132434,-86.9303719,3a,15y,64.88h,85.91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scxzJKuKWt6uZ1gWVna7khQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Oh, and a 2-digit shield width for a 3 digit route.

freebrickproductions

So, within the past year or so, a new turn lane was put in in the median of Alt. US 72 just east of US 43 over in the Shoals, right where this gantry was. As a result, ALDOT replaced it with a new gantry and newer signage, but, rather than copying the previous signage, the new signage has left-off the control cities and directional arrows, for some reason.

IMG_4038 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

IMG_4039 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

(They/Them)

ttownfeen

In west Alabama, you'll see country road signs posted frequently at junctions, but I rarely see them reassurance signs posted. To see one with a direction sign as well is very weird.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.1572228,-87.5492476,3a,75y,185.87h,89.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJA-ydJyEZPzPP2Pheq3mbQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

freebrickproductions

Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 06, 2024, 01:40:04 AM

I've typically found them on FRA inventory reports, and, of course, the county route shields that went-up for the Old Highway 431 detour in Hampton Cove. I'll have to dig out my photos of the latter.

Well, I found at least some of my photos of the Old Highway 431 detour shields that were posted along US 431 in Hampton Cove. Apparently the county internally logs Old Highway 431 as CR 242.

IMG_3899 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

IMG_3900 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

IMG_3901 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

(They/Them)

formulanone

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 15, 2024, 04:30:04 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 06, 2024, 01:40:04 AM

Well, I found at least some of my photos of the Old Highway 431 detour shields that were posted along US 431 in Hampton Cove. Apparently the county internally logs Old Highway 431 as CR 242.

IMG_3899 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

IMG_3900 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

IMG_3901 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Good, your photos were better than mine...they were all blurry and dim.

rcm195

Has there been any updates on the progress of the US 82 bypass around Gordo?

asdfjkll

https://alletting.dot.state.al.us/WEBPROPS/2024/20240329/NTC_March_29_24.html#CALL001 Birmingham Northern Beltline SR-79 to SR-75 section bridges and paving package has shown up on this month's letting!

The Ghostbuster

I didn't think that segment of the BNB would ever be completed, nor any other segment of the BNB would ever be built. For years, this is all that has existed of the Birmingham Northern Beltway: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7406618,-86.6667822,2769m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu.

ElishaGOtis

Quote from: asdfjkll on March 01, 2024, 10:45:56 PM
https://alletting.dot.state.al.us/WEBPROPS/2024/20240329/NTC_March_29_24.html#CALL001 Birmingham Northern Beltline SR-79 to SR-75 section bridges and paving package has shown up on this month's letting!

From that page:
QuoteThe Bracket Estimate on this project is from $58,338,408 to $71,302,499 .

Goodness me that's expensive, even with the terrain construction completed! :-o Wouldn't as much of a surprise if they're starting from scratch (estimates were showing as much as $100M/mile), but this is mostly cleared...
When there are Teslas, there are Toll Roads

bdmoss88

Quote from: rcm195 on February 20, 2024, 11:34:35 AM
Has there been any updates on the progress of the US 82 bypass around Gordo?
The last time I was up there was in December and there had been no progress for quite some time.

codyg1985

Quote from: ElishaGOtis on March 02, 2024, 07:53:04 PM
Quote from: asdfjkll on March 01, 2024, 10:45:56 PM

From that page:
QuoteThe Bracket Estimate on this project is from $58,338,408 to $71,302,499 .

Goodness me that's expensive, even with the terrain construction completed! :-o Wouldn't as much of a surprise if they're starting from scratch (estimates were showing as much as $100M/mile), but this is mostly cleared...

They are building one carriageway but it will be wide enough for two lanes in each direction. It will be concrete pavement. For now, it will be signed as AL 959 (Corridor X-1).
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.