News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Tennessee

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

Here is a blast from the past.  This is a picture of Nashville in 1950s.

Lafayette at 8th Ave.

sparker

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on August 13, 2021, 07:30:16 AM

Lafayette at 8th Ave.

Every time I see a reference to "RC or Royal Crown" cola I'm reminded of that old episode of All In The Family where Archie challenges Mike "Meathead" to a cola-tasting contest when the latter pisses & moans about the wrong cola being bought and Archie inferred there were no differences between them -- but Mike won the contest hands-down (his preference was RC!). 

The sign salads are nice, too!

I-39

The contract has been awarded to widen I-65 between SR 109 and SR 25. It is the largest contract in state history, surpassing the I-440 rebuild.

https://www.wsmv.com/news/robertson_county/tdot-awards-contract-to-widen-i-65-in-robertson-county/article_347e6f08-0c27-11ec-a023-27b7309b0491.html

If this is that expensive, I can only imagine what the other segments will cost, considering it'll be more difficult terrain as they go south. Nevertheless, it's good they are getting this project going and I hope they'll find funding for the other segments as soon as possible.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on August 13, 2021, 07:30:16 AM

Lafayette at 8th Ave.

Here's the same view today, if I'm not mistaken:

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

triplemultiplex

^^ surprised it's not a condo tower yet.  :-P
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

wriddle082

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 12, 2021, 08:13:28 PM
^^ surprised it's not a condo tower yet.  :-P

Sadly, I think it is.  I was just there the other day.

The roundabout that has replaced the Y has a sculpture of large multi-colored poles, each with a slight bend as they go up.  It's too bad they couldn't commission another sculpture of naked people like on Music Row!

ukfan758

Quote from: I-39 on September 12, 2021, 08:21:18 AM
The contract has been awarded to widen I-65 between SR 109 and SR 25. It is the largest contract in state history, surpassing the I-440 rebuild.

https://www.wsmv.com/news/robertson_county/tdot-awards-contract-to-widen-i-65-in-robertson-county/article_347e6f08-0c27-11ec-a023-27b7309b0491.html

If this is that expensive, I can only imagine what the other segments will cost, considering it'll be more difficult terrain as they go south. Nevertheless, it's good they are getting this project going and I hope they'll find funding for the other segments as soon as possible.

Over 4 years of construction, Kentucky did their last 10 mile section in around 3 years (2015-2018) iirc. For the section that runs through the hills/mountain I would understand the longer time but this surprises me. Are they running a skeleton crew for this job?

codyg1985

Quote from: ukfan758 on September 15, 2021, 12:14:09 PM

Over 4 years of construction, Kentucky did their last 10 mile section in around 3 years (2015-2018) iirc. For the section that runs through the hills/mountain I would understand the longer time but this surprises me. Are they running a skeleton crew for this job?

It could be due to the way they are phasing the work. Kentucky utilized cattle chutes inside their I-65 widening construction zones (creating a split lane configuration where the left lane would be shifted to the other side head-to-head with the opposing lanes), which I am guessing sped things up somewhat. I don't know if Tennessee is using that same technique with this work zone, or if they are going to avoid it, which by doing so could make the construction duration longer.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

wriddle082

Quote from: codyg1985 on September 15, 2021, 01:22:52 PM
Quote from: ukfan758 on September 15, 2021, 12:14:09 PM

It could be due to the way they are phasing the work. Kentucky utilized cattle chutes inside their I-65 widening construction zones (creating a split lane configuration where the left lane would be shifted to the other side head-to-head with the opposing lanes), which I am guessing sped things up somewhat. I don't know if Tennessee is using that same technique with this work zone, or if they are going to avoid it, which by doing so could make the construction duration longer.

Tennessee has, in the past, NOT used the cattle chutes that Kentucky has used and South Carolina has had numerous issues with.  I think a lot of the issues are the prevalence of concrete box beam bridges south of TN 52 that will need to be completely replaced, as they are generally not conducive to widening.

From south of TN 52 to Rivergate Pkwy in Goodlettsville, I-65 open in the mid-70's.  North of TN 52 it would have opened at the same time as the adjoining Kentucky segment (I assume late 60's), and I think it was late 60's south of Rivergate Pkwy.  Anyway the bridge types are much different along the mid-70's section than the other sections.

I-55

The interchange project between I-65 and TN-109 appears to be completed, and has GSV updated.

View from TN-109 looking South off the overpass
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

I-39

Does TDOT own ROW to widen US 412/Bear Creek Pike between US 31 and I-65? I heard somewhere they do. This is a project they are going to have to get a move on pretty soon.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: I-39 on October 15, 2021, 07:30:29 PM
Does TDOT own ROW to widen US 412/Bear Creek Pike between US 31 and I-65? I heard somewhere they do. This is a project they are going to have to get a move on pretty soon.

I believe they do.  This was requested but I believe denied.

I-39

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 10, 2021, 08:44:25 AM

That was probably a while ago. With the interchange being redone at I-65 and lots of new development in the pipeline along the corridor, they need to get a move to avoid another Spring Hill 31 situation. Interestingly, they hinted money from the new infrastructure bill could go towards it.

https://www.theleafchronicle.com/story/news/2021/11/09/infrastructure-bills-impact-tennessee-road-projects/6339008001/

Avalanchez71

Quote from: I-39 on November 10, 2021, 10:59:13 AM

That was probably a while ago. With the interchange being redone at I-65 and lots of new development in the pipeline along the corridor, they need to get a move to avoid another Spring Hill 31 situation. Interestingly, they hinted money from the new infrastructure bill could go towards it.

https://www.theleafchronicle.com/story/news/2021/11/09/infrastructure-bills-impact-tennessee-road-projects/6339008001/

This is new and is news.  The biggest issue with US 412 is the school zone.  TN likes to have schools near highways which gums up the traffic and slows down traffic to very low speeds.  I was in other states and the school zone speed limits in similar areas was much higher.

I-39

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 16, 2021, 09:15:02 AM
Quote from: I-39 on November 10, 2021, 10:59:13 AM

This is new and is news.  The biggest issue with US 412 is the school zone.  TN likes to have schools near highways which gums up the traffic and slows down traffic to very low speeds.  I was in other states and the school zone speed limits in similar areas was much higher.

Yes, and with new housing developments in the pipeline along the corridor, including several out near the I-65 interchange, it only makes sense to fill the gap. You are correct about the schools, they will have to figure out a solution near Howell Elementary, possibly a frontage road of some sorts may be needed there. It's probably only a matter of time before a commercial development with a Walmart or a grocery store chain pops up along there as well.

The Nashville MPO 2045 lists US 412/Bear Creek Pike between US 31 and I-65 as a widening project, but it appears they may make it a four lane divided highway as it is west of US 31 instead of a five lane undivided. Not sure if that is the best solution for this corridor.

Georgia

Find an alternate to I-65 at the widening project.  Took me 90 minutes to traverse the project today as it was down to 1 lane.  31W at Exit 2 in Kentucky would have been a far better decision even if it is 2 lane

hbelkins

Quote from: Georgia on February 02, 2022, 08:33:33 PM
Find an alternate to I-65 at the widening project.  Took me 90 minutes to traverse the project today as it was down to 1 lane.  31W at Exit 2 in Kentucky would have been a far better decision even if it is 2 lane

There have been so many delays in that area over the past few years that our Bowling Green office has taken to warning motorists that the backups are stretching north into Kentucky so drivers should expect slowed or stopped traffic.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Georgia

Yea I cant fault KYTC, they had message signs starting at BG that warned about stopped traffic.  I ignored it thinking it wouldnt be too bad but I was wrong.  Do not go past the Portland exit at latest, you will regret it.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/NjxcQaubw4ZjRnWV9

What the hell happened here?  The interchange was recently modified to help improve traffic, yet from this and my drive in TN in July, it seems to have put no dent at all in the ongoing traffic issues here. 

They should have just left the equal split wye instead of spending millions to not help any more easement to this traffic nightmare.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

codyg1985

There is a second phase of that project currently in the soliciation phase which is supposed to expand I-24 west of the I-75 interchange which should hopefully alleviate the issues the interchange currently has.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

VTGoose

Quote from: roadman65 on September 16, 2022, 08:21:52 AM

What the hell happened here?  The interchange was recently modified to help improve traffic, yet from this and my drive in TN in July, it seems to have put no dent at all in the ongoing traffic issues here. 

They should have just left the equal split wye instead of spending millions to not help any more easement to this traffic nightmare.

Chattanooga desperately needs a bypass -- not that it would be easy to build one. But a connection from I-24 around the state line east to hit I-75 could probably remove a good bit of the traffic that is funneled into that clogged stretch of interstate.
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Mapmikey

Here is a May 2022 view showing no backup at all
https://goo.gl/maps/aH7suzp7owbTKWFF7

And one in Aug 2022
https://goo.gl/maps/8CxpT2xQXfyD2xDq8

74/171FAN

It was backed up from I-75 NB to I-24 WB when I drove through the area back in March late Sunday afternoon.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Mapmikey on September 16, 2022, 10:18:53 AM

Here is a May 2022 view showing no backup at all
https://goo.gl/maps/aH7suzp7owbTKWFF7

And one in Aug 2022
https://goo.gl/maps/8CxpT2xQXfyD2xDq8

Based on the angle of the sun, it appears to be about 2:30 PM in the first photo and 12 PM in the second. Neither is during rush hour.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

Quote from: VTGoose on September 16, 2022, 09:53:09 AM
Chattanooga desperately needs a bypass -- not that it would be easy to build one. But a connection from I-24 around the state line east to hit I-75 could probably remove a good bit of the traffic that is funneled into that clogged stretch of interstate.

Any potential bypass would have to be entirely or almost entirely built in Georgia. There's really not much Tennessee can do on their side of the state line.

Another thought (acknowledging that this is fictional) would be a more direct connection between Dalton, GA and Cleveland, TN. This would remove a lot of the I-75 and Atlanta-Knoxville thru traffic from the Chattanooga area, like a slightly larger version of the Macon bypass.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.