News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

The aerial view makes that a lot clearer. Maybe they felt a crossing on the south side is too far? But they could have built a pedestrian island there to alleviate that issue.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 06, 2018, 12:42:31 PM
The aerial view makes that a lot clearer. Maybe they felt a crossing on the south side is too far? But they could have built a pedestrian island there to alleviate that issue.

The easiest way to make the crossing shorter would have been to have the crossing about another 100 feet S-E, so the crossing over the highway (Grand Ave?) was more perpendicular than diagonal.

kphoger

My first thought was that pedestrians next to the road would be trespassing on railroad ROW.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on October 08, 2018, 01:50:49 PM
My first thought was that pedestrians next to the road would be trespassing on railroad ROW.

I would think that public ROW would extend past the road curbing by at least a few feet.

Roadsguy

This diagrammatic is not how the lanes are set up. There's no option lane; a fifth lane starts on the right. Meanwhile, in the other direction, the opposite sign has the opposite problem. I-81 SB isn't four lanes at all before the split.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Mapmikey

Quote from: jakeroot on October 08, 2018, 02:46:51 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 08, 2018, 01:50:49 PM

I would think that public ROW would extend past the road curbing by at least a few feet.

GMSV shows a crosswalk used to be at the now-prohibited spot until 2013-14.  Similar changes occurred at other intersections along this railway.  A study of this corridor mentions pedestrian access along Grand Ave but does not get into specifically AFAIK that there shouldn't be access on that side of the road.

https://www.azdot.gov/docs/projects/chapter-3-existing-44-programmed-and-planned-facilities.pdf?sfvrsn=0

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on October 30, 2018, 07:57:51 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/GvUeiQxnKpq
US 17 is now in NY.

Wrong thread.

Quote from: 1 on August 17, 2016, 07:04:09 AM
As of this post, the Erroneous Road Signs thread has 161 pages (I use the default of 25 posts per page), and it will just continue to grow. To reduce its rate of growth, errors that are solely US/state route mixups go here instead of in the Erroneous Road Signs and Worst of Road Signs threads.

Something similar was done a few years ago when "Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs" was created to reduce the number that went into the Worst of Road Signs thread.

If you recently posted in any of these threads with a US/state mixup, you may move the post to here by deleting the other one and pasting the content in this thread. (It doesn't have to be recent, but I'm assuming that the more recent ones will be more easily found.)

In addition to posting US/state mixups, you can post your opinion on whether this thread is necessary, at least for the first few pages.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

It is still erroneous whether goof ups like this are very common (especially with NYSDOT and usually making a US route a state route etc).  Yes it would be an opinion if it were posted in the unique odd and Interesting, and I thought about posting it there.  I felt this was more specific and felt that criteria and therefore I posted it here.

Because so many screw ups like this exist, I find it a hot topic to find which one next will get the designations mixed up especially in PA and NY who love to be careless when printing signs.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Just to clarify...  the thread I quoted from is called "US/State mixup shield error signs go here".
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on October 31, 2018, 12:38:20 PM
US 17 is now in NY.

Wrong thread.

As of this post, the Erroneous Road Signs thread has 161 pages (I use the default of 25 posts per page), and it will just continue to grow. To reduce its rate of growth, errors that are solely US/state route mixups go here instead of in the Erroneous Road Signs and Worst of Road Signs threads.

Something similar was done a few years ago when "Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs" was created to reduce the number that went into the Worst of Road Signs thread.

If you recently posted in any of these threads with a US/state mixup, you may move the post to here by deleting the other one and pasting the content in this thread. (It doesn't have to be recent, but I'm assuming that the more recent ones will be more easily found.)

In addition to posting US/state mixups, you can post your opinion on whether this thread is necessary, at least for the first few pages.

So the creator of that thread decreed that all such posts should go in his thread, and we're all supposed to follow his directive like he's God or something? That's not a decree from a moderator, it's a statement from a user. That "they go here" statement is pretty arrogant, if you ask me.

People can put pictures wherever they want and the mods can move them if they want. As for me, because of the nature of that post, I'm more inclined to put state/US goofs here, just because.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on October 31, 2018, 03:55:47 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 31, 2018, 12:38:20 PM
US 17 is now in NY.

Wrong thread.

So the creator of that thread decreed that all such posts should go in his thread, and we're all supposed to follow his directive like he's God or something? That's not a decree from a moderator, it's a statement from a user. That "they go here" statement is pretty arrogant, if you ask me.

People can put pictures wherever they want and the mods can move them if they want. As for me, because of the nature of that post, I'm more inclined to put state/US goofs here, just because.

That is true.  But if people are going to resume flooding this thread with shields of the wrong shape, then you can count me as someone who will stop visiting this thread (again).  I'm probably not the only one.  So, if you want people to actually see the signs you post, then consider putting them in the other threads.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: hbelkins on October 31, 2018, 03:55:47 PM
So the creator of that thread decreed that all such posts should go in his thread, and we're all supposed to follow his directive? That's not a decree from a moderator, it's a statement from a user. That "they go here" statement is pretty arrogant, if you ask me.

He raised a valid point, explained his reasoning for starting the thread, and encouraged others to post their opinion on whether the thread was necessary (which you are still welcome to do - in that thread). No need to get all worked up about it.

HTM Duke

I was heading back from Harrisonburg, VA last night, and spotted this unintentional primary route upgrade for SR-687:
https://goo.gl/maps/uwLwyS56nYv
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

Revive 755

On NB OH 4 in Fairfield:  So I'm allowed to treat the shoulder as part of the lane?

freebrickproductions

Not sure if this should be posted here or in the US/SR shield mix-up thread, but this street blade along US 79 in Tennessee claims the highway is "State Route 79":
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0234805,-88.6115991,3a,15y,311.72h,86.21t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1suUDcaziw-XPhyn4CS8JzOg!2e0!5s20160801T000000!7i13312!8i6656
However, as it's in text and not a shield, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be here or in the other thread. Feel free to yell at me and/or move the post if it is the other thread that this should be in.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Jim

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

jakeroot

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 18, 2018, 03:14:10 PM
Not sure if this should be posted here or in the US/SR shield mix-up thread, but this street blade along US 79 in Tennessee claims the highway is "State Route 79":
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0234805,-88.6115991,3a,15y,311.72h,86.21t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1suUDcaziw-XPhyn4CS8JzOg!2e0!5s20160801T000000!7i13312!8i6656
However, as it's in text and not a shield, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be here or in the other thread. Feel free to yell at me and/or move the post if it is the other thread that this should be in.

I'm even more confused as Street View insists the road is "State Highway 76".

freebrickproductions

Quote from: jakeroot on December 18, 2018, 04:15:39 PM

TN 76 and US 79 do have a concurrency (sounds like a pretty long one at that), though I'm not sure if that part of the road is part of the concurrency or not:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee_State_Route_76#Haywood_County

I've noticed that if a state route is concurrent with a US route, Google will more oftenly refer to it by the state route rather than the US route (or even Interstate). This is especially annoying in Alabama, where every US route has a hidden state designation.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 18, 2018, 04:21:00 PM

TN 76 and US 79 do have a concurrency (sounds like a pretty long one at that), though I'm not sure if that part of the road is part of the concurrency or not:

I've noticed that if a state route is concurrent with a US route, Google will more oftenly refer to it by the state route rather than the US route (or even Interstate). This is especially annoying in Alabama, where every US route has a hidden state designation.

Yes, that sounds annoying. Kind of makes me wonder why more states don't have rules where everything is automatically a state route, even if it says "US" or "INTERSTATE".

For example, that US-79 example in TN would be WA-79 in WA, even if the shields all say "US". Everything is basically a hidden state route (I-5 is WA-5, US-2 is WA-2, etc). So, in a sense, there is no way to mix up "SR" and "US" or "I", since legally, "SR" is always correct at the most basic level.

US 89

Quote from: jakeroot on December 18, 2018, 04:48:42 PM

Yes, that sounds annoying. Kind of makes me wonder why more states don't have rules where everything is automatically a state route, even if it says "US" or "INTERSTATE".

For example, that US-79 example in TN would be WA-79 in WA, even if the shields all say "US". Everything is basically a hidden state route (I-5 is WA-5, US-2 is WA-2, etc). So, in a sense, there is no way to mix up "SR" and "US" or "I", since legally, "SR" is always correct at the most basic level.

Utah is interesting in that all routes are legislatively defined as the same type of route, so I-15 is legislatively defined as SR-15, US 89 as SR-89, etc. However, US 89 is actually referenced as US 89, not SR 89. That goes for all interstate and US routes: all are defined as SR, but referenced as I or US.

jakeroot

Quote from: US 89 on December 18, 2018, 09:16:11 PM

Utah is interesting in that all routes are legislatively defined as the same type of route, so I-15 is legislatively defined as SR-15, US 89 as SR-89, etc. However, US 89 is actually referenced as US 89, not SR 89. That goes for all interstate and US routes: all are defined as SR, but referenced as I or US.

I certainly prefer the UT/WA way, where everything is state route but sometimes dressed up as something else, to the AL approach where US routes are concurrent with an entirely different state route number. The former easily prevents duplicate numbers, which is something I believe should be avoided.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: jakeroot on December 19, 2018, 01:29:41 AM
Quote from: US 89 on December 18, 2018, 09:16:11 PM

I certainly prefer the UT/WA way, where everything is state route but sometimes dressed up as something else, to the AL approach where US routes are concurrent with an entirely different state route number. The former easily prevents duplicate numbers, which is something I believe should be avoided.
I'd prefer that for Alabama as well, especially since it'd free up some low numbers for important state route corridors (and get rid of the state routes that duplicate the interstate's numbers), as well as making any mismatched US/SR shields for the US routes technically correct.

Florida also does their hidden designations the same way as Alabama, though they at least have the excuse of using a grid system that requires them to use a different number for the US routes.

(They/Them)

Eth

Georgia does it the same way as AL/FL/TN, where the US routes are essentially just an overlay on top of the existing state route system, but just doesn't see the point in hiding it. :) (And occasionally a route is better known by its state route number than its US number; it's always "highway 42" in the McDonough/Stockbridge area, for instance, not "highway 23".)

hbelkins

Every US route in Tennessee has a separate state route designation. Most of the time, the state route designation is unsigned, except for the mile markers that bear the state route number. In some places, the concurrency is signed, but not very many.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.