Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695) complete collapse after large ship hits it

Started by rickmastfan67, March 26, 2024, 04:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdbx

When you consider the cost of materials and labor alone, it is difficult to imagine a bridge of this size being completed for less than a billion dollars. Design rules, environmental rules, and construction best practices have all evolved since the original structure was built. I would expect closer to $2BB by the time construction is finished. It is difficult to understate just how quickly costs can balloon over time, especially if design revisions and change orders become necessary.

kphoger

Physical barrier protection around pylons isn't the only option to prevent strikes, is it?  They could also require tugboat entry/exit for all ships.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

on_wisconsin

Quote from: jdbx on March 28, 2024, 04:09:18 PMWhen you consider the cost of materials and labor alone, it is difficult to imagine a bridge of this size being completed for less than a billion dollars. Design rules, environmental rules, and construction best practices have all evolved since the original structure was built. I would expect closer to $2BB by the time construction is finished. It is difficult to understate just how quickly costs can balloon over time, especially if design revisions and change orders become necessary.

It's almost certain that environmental exemptions/ fast tracks and a more or less blank check will be granted by the MD legislator and Congress, similar to the I-35W bridge in 2007. But it's an election year, so...
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Life in Paradise

The bridge will also need to be redesigned due to the lack of redundant structural integrity, which is the reason it went down so quickly.

MASTERNC

The bigger question than cost is how long a replacement would take. My guess is years. In that case, does anything need to be done to address traffic issues? Maybe MDSHA can fast track the Beltway project with the shoulder riding and ramp meters? I'm guessing projects like the I-70 interchange may be delayed to avoid adding more congestion

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

The Cuomo Bridge was built suprisingly fast once they had design approval.  I'd expect a similar or even quicker schedule for this one.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on March 28, 2024, 05:12:15 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 28, 2024, 04:52:43 PMMy bet is $5-6B.

I read that as $5-68 . . . which seemed to lowball the cost by a fair bit.

It's also quite the range percentage-wise.

wdcrft63

The Stan Musial Bridge on I-70 in St. Louis is a 4-lane cable-stayed bridge with a main span of 1500 ft. According Wikipedia it cost $695 million. Ten years ago.

Jim

Heading south on I-95 right now, crossing I-695.  Very strange knowing we're so close to the site of  international news story...  The VMS messages are all clear about the closure but the regular signage hasn't been patched or anything yet.  We're late enough today that it looks like both tunnels are free and clear.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Jim on March 28, 2024, 09:07:24 PMHeading south on I-95 right now, crossing I-695.  Very strange knowing we're so close to the site of  international news story...  The VMS messages are all clear about the closure but the regular signage hasn't been patched or anything yet.  We're late enough today that it looks like both tunnels are free and clear.

Don't think they would have been able to fab patches this fast to be honest.  Probably by the weekend more 'permanent' signage fixes might be ready, if not sometime next week.

rickmastfan67

Henry

The more I look back on the Francis Scott Key Bridge and Sunshine Skyway disasters, the more I feel that truss bridges are the most fragile kind out there. I did some research on the Sunshine Skyway, and came up with this nugget of information:

QuoteSoon after the disaster, the undamaged northbound span was converted back to a two-lane, two-way bridge while the state of Florida considered proposals for a replacement. Ideas included the construction of a tunnel (which was deemed impractical due to Florida's high water table) and a simple reconstruction of the broken section of the old bridge, which would not widen the narrow shipping lane. Governor Bob Graham's idea to build a "signature" cable-stayed bridge with a span that would be 50% wider than that of the old Skyway Bridge won out over other proposals. In addition to a wider shipping lane, the channel would be marked by a 1⁄4 mi (400 m)-long series of large concrete barriers, and the support piers would be protected by massive concrete "dolphins".

Construction began in January 1983 with the pounding of pilings for the foundation, and work on the main piers began the following September. The complicated project was delayed several times by bad weather and various difficulties in construction, and the planned opening was pushed back several times. Finally, the opening ceremony was set for April 30, 1987. However, on April 29 at about 3:30 p.m., the new bridge's protective bumpers were hit head-on by the Deliverance, a 74-foot (23 m) shrimp boat. The bumper sustained minor damage and the bridge was not affected, but the vessel took on water and was towed out of the channel into shallow waters, where it promptly sank. The opening ceremonies proceeded as scheduled.
Because the Francis Scott Key Bridge was the only above-water crossing in the immediate area, Baltimore is way more screwed than St. Petersburg ever was. Judging by the above quote, we could see a cable-stayed Key Bridge by 2032, and that's being cautiously optimistic. Also, since the central span's collapse created two severed sections, I'd expect the remainder to be demolished first, and new approach roads constructed that would lead to the new bridge's location. They'd probably build it to the north, although it would be even closer to the transmission lines than the old bridge was, so the exact alignment will remain to be seen.

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 28, 2024, 10:01:31 PM
Quote from: Jim on March 28, 2024, 09:07:24 PMHeading south on I-95 right now, crossing I-695.  Very strange knowing we're so close to the site of  international news story...  The VMS messages are all clear about the closure but the regular signage hasn't been patched or anything yet.  We're late enough today that it looks like both tunnels are free and clear.

Don't think they would have been able to fab patches this fast to be honest.  Probably by the weekend more 'permanent' signage fixes might be ready, if not sometime next week.
Another way would be to simply cover up the signs with a black tarp, which can be removed once the replacement bridge opens. For now, I-695 will just become another "Highway to Nowhere", as there's no way across the river on it (although the two tunnels are more than capable of taking on the extra traffic).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Rothman

There's good reason why trusses are totally avoided nowadays.  One member fails, the bridge goes down.

I recently posted in a thread somewhere about the issue with gusset plates and possible future asinine decisions by my state's historical preservation office to require them over even gussetless trusses.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.