News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

District of Columbia

Started by Alex, April 07, 2009, 01:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Beltway

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

KEVIN_224

How has traffic been today with the parade for the Washington Nationals? I'm sure METRO will be happy. :)

(P.S. Portland, ME has their METRO city bus system. That's not an acronym either. Like with DC, I've always wrote it that way.)

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on November 02, 2019, 03:47:18 PM
How has traffic been today with the parade for the Washington Nationals? I'm sure METRO will be happy. :)

(P.S. Portland, ME has their METRO city bus system. That's not an acronym either. Like with DC, I've always wrote it that way.)

Not sure, as I took the Yellow Line in and out from the city (Archives station on the way in, L'Enfant Plaza on the way out).

There were a lot of downtown road closures, and the staging area for the parade was the Mall. To extent that I saw much of anything, it seems that maybe some of the garages around the L'Enfant Plaza area had an uptick in volume, which makes sense (right off 395, south of the Mall).

I think a lot of people took Metro though; crowding at the Archives station was so much that our train operator held the doors when we arrived, as there was a backlog of people exiting the station, and they didn't want the platforms overflowing (Archives is a low-capacity station with a single escalator complex on an island platform).

Overhearing chatter on the Metro, I got the vibe that a decent amount of folks were from the outer suburbs/exurbs (e.g. Fredericksburg), and were taking Metro in from the very end of the system. One young boy asked his father if the river we were going over (the Potomac) was the Rappohanack.

Also, you could tell a lot of the riders today were infrequent riders. For instance, one woman on board the Yellow Line asked us when the Federal Triangle stop would show up. I told her just to follow the crowds in Nats gear. I had the suspicion that a lot of people were riding for the first time ever, or in an extremely rare situation...there was also a lot of activity at exit fare machines (cash only!)

AlexandriaVA

Wasn't sure whether this should go on the thread, or the NOVA HOT lanes thread. But the middle span of the 14th St bridge (Rochambeau Bridge) has been closed all weekend, and it looks like workers are installing an information screen (for southbound) and then typical exit signage on the opposite side (for northbound). If there are any serious plans to HOT the SE/SW freeway, they've definitely got the facilitating infrastructure in place.

1995hoo

Driving into the city on Sunday for the Caps game, I noticed most of the signs that said "Verizon Center"  have been updated to say "Capital One Arena"  using greenout and blueout (the latter on a blue sign on the ramp to 12th Street). It's pretty much hideous in every case because they had to cram the new, longer name into the same amount of space as the old name. The patches don't match the main signs' shades of green, either.

I wonder if there's some generic descriptor that would work better. "Sports Arena"  isn't necessarily specific enough.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

AlexandriaVA

I noticed those. They're really bad...

1995hoo

Beltway

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 12, 2020, 05:58:04 PM
This is what the bridge will eventually look like
OCEA City!

Outstanding Civil Engineering Achievement (OCEA) Award of 2008 went to the Woodrow Wilson Bridge Project.

https://www.asce.org/oceakit/?all_recipients=1
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jakeroot

Really interesting to see two new "traffic ovals" being built as part of this project. These have to be the first new ones in many, many years, no?

At any rate, I think it's a fantastic opportunity for two new plazas. Great stuff.

VTGoose

https://twitter.com/adamtuss/status/1227636478517415936?s=21

For some reason, "Puff the Magic Dragon" comes to mind in looking at the three humps of the completed bridge. Maybe they should paint it green.
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

ixnay

Quote from: VTGoose on February 13, 2020, 09:28:58 AM
https://twitter.com/adamtuss/status/1227636478517415936?s=21

For some reason, "Puff the Magic Dragon" comes to mind in looking at the three humps of the completed bridge. Maybe they should paint it green.

You mean Chessie is too big for the Anacostia?

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

1995hoo

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/dc-speed-limit-cut/2020/05/29/3be40f74-36ee-11ea-9541-9107303481a4_story.html

QuoteThe default speed limit on the streets of the District will drop to 20 mph from 25 mph beginning Monday, Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) announced Friday, taking a bold step in implementing her centerpiece plan to reduce pedestrian deaths in the nation's capital.

Bowser also announced a "slow streets"  initiative through which some neighborhood roads will be restricted to local traffic only and have a posted 15 mph speed limit. The District Department of Transportation is identifying locations, Bowser said.

While those roads will not be closed to other traffic, Bowser said, the city will place barriers and signage about the restrictions so that drivers know they should not cut through.

As the city begins to reopen after two months of coronavirus restrictions, Bowser said it is reimagining its roadways to support businesses. The city will issue permits to restaurants to use sidewalks, and possibly for parking and travel lanes to expand their dining space, officials said.

How long do you think it'll be before they rush to place extra speed cameras on streets with newly-lowered speed limits?

BTW, regarding VPIGoose's comment about Puff the Magic Dragon, I suppose recreational weed IS tolerated by the DC government....

1995hoo

Sign replacement work on I-395 this week. If you like button copy, get over there ASAP before the existing signs come down: https://ddot.dc.gov/page/i-395-sign-structure-improvement-project

They don't mention the two ancient signs on the ramp leading to the 12th Street Tunnel, but I have to assume those are not going to survive much longer.

vdeane

I wonder if they'll convert I-395 to mileage-based numbers.  They seem to have started a few years ago before reverting the change.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on June 01, 2020, 02:23:51 PM
I wonder if they'll convert I-395 to mileage-based numbers.  They seem to have started a few years ago before reverting the change.

The potential difficulty with that is the number of exits there are. I-395 has roughly 3.4 miles in DC. There are four exits within the first 1.2 miles alone. I think there are a total of ten exits, though I may be miscounting. It's one place where using sequential numbers is probably easier.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 01, 2020, 02:36:19 PM
Quote from: vdeane on June 01, 2020, 02:23:51 PM

The potential difficulty with that is the number of exits there are. I-395 has roughly 3.4 miles in DC. There are four exits within the first 1.2 miles alone. I think there are a total of ten exits, though I may be miscounting. It's one place where using sequential numbers is probably easier.

I've always been irked by the inconsistency in those exit numbers between directions - for instance, that southbound exit 7 corresponds to exit 5 northbound (and then exit 5 southbound is entirely different, too!).  I've also noticed this on I-695 and DC 295 @ Pennsylvania Ave.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

1995hoo

mrsman

Saw this on reddit, car accident on 2nd street and D street NW coming out of the 3rd street tunnel:

https://www.reddit.com/r/washingtondc/comments/i22fmj/my_pregnant_37_weeks_wife_and_i_were_struck_by_a/

While a bit of a scary surprise, I definitely think that DDOT could do more here to make the intersection safer.  Apparently, if you read the comments, the errant driver blames GPS with leading him to turn left the wrong way down a one way street (that is also an offramp from the I-395 tunnel). 

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8948088,-77.0135986,3a,75y,250.94h,86.19t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXL2DFYJdF-xtx6vs-J_k-g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

While there is a one-way sign here, it would be more helpful if there were a no left turn sign from WB D Street.  Also, a "Do not Enter" sign would be helpful.  And a guide sign to direct traffic heading for I-395 south to continue straight (west on D) for another half block before making the left turn.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: mrsman on August 03, 2020, 12:15:36 PM
the errant driver blames GPS with leading him to turn left the wrong way down a one way street

I can't stand this, and this is why I'm always encouraging people to learn the roads, not just learn how to read a GPS set of directions.

Put a giant "Do Not Enter" sign on the Perkins building?

storm2k

Saw this on reddit, car accident on 2nd street and D street NW coming out of the 3rd street tunnel:

https://www.reddit.com/r/washingtondc/comments/i22fmj/my_pregnant_37_weeks_wife_and_i_were_struck_by_a/

While a bit of a scary surprise, I definitely think that DDOT could do more here to make the intersection safer.  Apparently, if you read the comments, the errant driver blames GPS with leading him to turn left the wrong way down a one way street (that is also an offramp from the I-395 tunnel). 

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8948088,-77.0135986,3a,75y,250.94h,86.19t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXL2DFYJdF-xtx6vs-J_k-g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

While there is a one-way sign here, it would be more helpful if there were a no left turn sign from WB D Street.  Also, a "Do not Enter" sign would be helpful.  And a guide sign to direct traffic heading for I-395 south to continue straight (west on D) for another half block before making the left turn.

The One Way signs definitely look like they're talking about traffic continuing down D St. Pretty sure that "by the MUTCD book" method should have had a couple of one way signs coming out of 2 St, as well as Do Not Enter signs and a couple of Wrong Way signs as well.

mrsman

Quote from: storm2k on August 26, 2020, 10:43:28 AM

The One Way signs definitely look like they're talking about traffic continuing down D St. Pretty sure that "by the MUTCD book" method should have had a couple of one way signs coming out of 2 St, as well as Do Not Enter signs and a couple of Wrong Way signs as well.

Agreed.  The only other visual clue that traffic coming out of 2nd is one way is that there is a green straight arrow on the left sidemount (when the light is green)

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8948131,-77.0133736,3a,75y,256.07h,84.21t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVckO2oNbMsugyY_IY70EVQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

But something potentially dangerous should not be left up to a simple one-way sign that can easily be tilted in the wrong direction (and be misinterpreted as referring to D instead of 2nd, where D happens to also be a one-way in the upcoming block).  A no left turn or a do not enter is clearly warranted here.

Unfortunately, I've seen similar signage up and down the East Coast, so even if the MUTCD recommends otherwise, local manuals probably only require posting one way signs.  In particular, very few interesections of one-way to one-way streets in DC, NYC, or Philadelphia have extra signage (no turn, do not enter) and rely exclusively on one-ways signs.  Boston and Baltimore tend to be better about this.

This corner in particular should get more because of it being a freeway exit and the building over 2nd does impact visibilty.  And if there are GPS issues of people looking for the 395 ramps then that should move the city to act.

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: Majority of the Washington region's workers unlikely to return to the office before next summer, survey says

QuoteIt could be next summer before the bulk of the Washington region's workers return to their offices after months spent teleworking because of the novel coronavirus, according to a new survey.

QuoteMore than six months after the pandemic hit the region, forcing hundreds of thousands of residents to work from home, many of their employers remain uncertain when and how they will be allowed back in the office, based on a study led by the Greater Washington Partnership.

QuoteThe survey of more than 400 employers in the District, Maryland and Virginia shows that most are struggling with how to safely bring back workers while the nation remains in the midst of the pandemic, even as states move forward with reopening their economies.

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

More new signs in DC.

The above replaces the sign where the button-copy "S" had been peeling off the sign for years.

Alps

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 09, 2020, 11:06:20 AM
More new signs in DC.

The above replaces the sign where the button-copy "S" had been peeling off the sign for years.

Don't think I ever noticed the old one said "The House"!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.