What do you call these areas (see photo)?

Started by 1995hoo, March 06, 2019, 08:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

See photo. What term do you use to refer to the areas between the white lines (and the areas in which those vehicles are parked)? Not the overall structure, just those particular areas within the overall structure.

I'll explain why I ask this after there are some responses. Has to do with something I saw at work yesterday.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Parking spaces, unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

1995hoo

You understood the question. I'll explain once there are some other replies, if any.

Beltway

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 06, 2019, 08:39:20 AM
See photo. What term do you use to refer to the areas between the white lines (and the areas in which those vehicles are parked)? Not the overall structure, just those particular areas within the overall structure.
I'll explain why I ask this after there are some responses. Has to do with something I saw at work yesterday.

This Parking Structure Design Guideline calls them "parking spaces" and also "parking stalls".  The accessways to the stalls are called a "drive aisle".

I hadn't heard some of those terms before, but there are various specific civil engineering terms utilized within the profession that are not commonly heard by the public.

https://ccdcboise.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/CCDC-Boise-Parking-Structure-Design-Guidelines_2016-Final-Draft-08-04-2016.pdf
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

abefroman329

"Parking space" and "parking spot" were the only terms I was aware of until I read Beltway's post.

This debate isn't exactly on the level of soda/pop, or even bag/sack.

1995hoo

Scott's post answers what I was wondering.

I've akways heard "parking space"  in this context, or "parking spot"  as to on-street parking where there are no designated limit lines. I've heard one person use the term "bay"  when the spaces all had numbers (as in, "the car is in bay #5" ).

I'm working on a construction-related matter and the people whose work I'm seeing kept saying "parking stalls."  They're located in Colorado and I found myself wondering if it was an industry-specific term or a regionalism (the latter being like Minnesotans' weird use of "parking ramp" ). I cannot ask them directly for several reasons. But Scott's post explains it–it's a weird construction industry convention.

To my ears, "parking stall"  sounds like an enclosed area with barriers–like the enclosed space for defecating in a public restroom, a space that's typically called either a "stall"  or a "booth."

abefroman329

"Parking ramp" isn't as weird as "duck, duck, brown duck"

Putting the cheese inside of the cheeseburger is weird, but also delicious.

bmorrill

Beltway

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 06, 2019, 09:42:50 AM
I'm working on a construction-related matter and the people whose work I'm seeing kept saying "parking stalls."  They're located in Colorado and I found myself wondering if it was an industry-specific term or a regionalism (the latter being like Minnesotans' weird use of "parking ramp" ). I cannot ask them directly for several reasons. But Scott's post explains it–it's a weird construction industry convention.

That manual was prepared by a civil engineering consulting company, so I don't think the construction industry provided the input.  Engineering terms often sound odd when you first hear them -- one example, superelevation being the banking of a roadway.

I would surmise that the design plans for the parking garage are what those construction workers are commenting on.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Max Rockatansky

hbelkins

Parking spot or parking space.

Someone mentioned "parking ramp." That term is unusual to me. I always heard them referred to as "parking garages." First time I ever heard the term "parking ramp" was when the parking facility used at the last Richmond meet (in the Short Pump area, hosted by Will Weaver) was described.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: Beltway on March 06, 2019, 10:03:12 AM

I would surmise that the design plans for the parking garage are what those construction workers are commenting on.

Could be. Some of the communications in question didn't refer to the plans, but of course they probably assume context an outside party doesn't know about. (BTW, it was obvious what "parking stalls"  meant. I was just curious about the use of the word "stalls"  as opposed to "spaces." )

A friend of mine who works for a construction company thought "stalls"  sounded absurd when I asked her the same question from the original post.

abefroman329

Max Rockatansky

AsphaltPlanet

Parking stall.

Car hole would be used for the structure itself
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Rothman

Super Fun Happy Automobile Locations of Leisure
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abefroman329

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 06, 2019, 12:33:27 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on March 06, 2019, 12:28:56 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 06, 2019, 11:36:56 AM
Public car holes.
Thanks, Moe.

Well, la de da Mr. French Man
I'm gonna give you till the count of 3 to take your Sacajawea dollars and get the hell out of here!

briantroutman

I've really only heard "bay"  used in connection with auto repair shops where there are separate designated work areas for individual vehicles–typically with each area having its own roll-up door. I could also imagine "bay"  being used to describe fire stations or similar environments where one large structure has designated parking areas with separate entrances for those areas.

I think "space"  is most commonly used by the public to describe what you pictured–"stall"  is perhaps a little less prevalent in civilian use (though still common) although arguably more common in official, institutional use. For what it's worth, I've seen both terms used on pay-to-park kiosks.

"Spot"  generally suggests a parking area with no definite bounds, like on the side of a street as you mentioned, or in a driveway, in a clearing in the woods, etc. But certainly if I was walking through a parking garage with someone and he gestured to a space that was lined and numbered and remarked "That's my usual parking spot,"  I wouldn't give it a second thought.

abefroman329

Quote from: briantroutman on March 06, 2019, 01:05:06 PMI've really only heard "bay"  used in connection with auto repair shops where there are separate designated work areas for individual vehicles–typically with each area having its own roll-up door. I could also imagine "bay"  being used to describe fire stations or similar environments where one large structure has designated parking areas with separate entrances for those areas.
I've also heard it used to describe the area where you can wash an individual car at a self-service car wash.

briantroutman

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 06, 2019, 01:15:31 PM
I've also heard it used to describe the area where you can wash an individual car at a self-service car wash.

Right–arguably that would be similar to the fire station or repair shop example, the common thread among all of them being separate entrances for the spaces.

If the gate guard at a standard, garden variety parking garage without separate entrances or physical dividers between the spaces (like the one pictured above) told me to park in "Bay 156" , I'd know what he meant, but I would think the use of "bay"  to be a bit odd.

abefroman329

I could've sworn there was a rental car company that referred to parking spaces for its cars on a lot as "bays," but I can't remember which one it was.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 06, 2019, 09:48:28 AM

SMH it's gray duck, not brown duck.

Also, parking ramp is a perfectly cromulent phrase. There are ramps, and they lead you to levels with parking spaces. Makes sense to me.

1995hoo

In my mind, a "parking ramp"  would mean the entire structure consists of a sloped ramp that has parking spaces along its sides (or along one side). A garage like the one seen in the original post (it's at the Franconia—Springfield Metro in Virginia, BTW) has levels connected by ramps, but the levels themselves aren't sloped. So to me it makes no sense to refer to the whole thing as a "parking ramp."

Hence why "parking ramp"  is a great example of a regionalism, I guess.

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 06, 2019, 09:48:28 AM

That second one raises the question of whether it's a Jucy Lucy or a Juicy Lucy.  :-D

kphoger

Parking spot
Parking space
Stall

I use the first two most frequently in general, but I use the third occasionally if I'm already in a parking lot and it's obvious what I'm referring to–such as saying "That lady tried backing out of the stall with the car in Drive".

Quote from: bmorrill on March 06, 2019, 09:48:49 AM
Parking slots.

I've never heard this one before, but it makes sense.

This has already been discussed in numerous threads:

Mapping Variations in American English Dialect
dumb question: why do we call it a parking garage?
Parking Garages
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

kphoger, those threads seem to address issues other than what you call the actual parking space/spot/stall/whatever.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.