What kind/manufacturer are these signals?

Started by txstateends, October 22, 2018, 09:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txstateends

Sorry, I don't have a closer/clearer shot of these, it came from a YouTube video.  This is 15th Street/Avenue K in Plano, TX, from the 1975-1976 timeframe.  These were some of the first mast-arms placed in the city (as well as some of the first ped signals); I remember the span-wire assembly these mast-arm signals replaced.  I don't know what brand/make, but the green was the kind that added yellow before changing to red.  Maybe you signal-smarties out there will know the kind/make of these mast-arms.

Seeing this was a shock.  I hadn't thought about this signal setup, nor that furniture store, in many years.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

traffic light guy

Quote from: txstateends on October 22, 2018, 09:42:40 PM
Sorry, I don't have a closer/clearer shot of these, it came from a YouTube video.  This is 15th Street/Avenue K in Plano, TX, from the 1975-1976 timeframe.  These were some of the first mast-arms placed in the city (as well as some of the first ped signals); I remember the span-wire assembly these mast-arm signals replaced.  I don't know what brand/make, but the green was the kind that added yellow before changing to red.  Maybe you signal-smarties out there will know the kind/make of these mast-arms.

Seeing this was a shock.  I hadn't thought about this signal setup, nor that furniture store, in many years.
They look like Eagle flatbacks

jakeroot

I don't know when McCain's current signals first showed up, but they could be them too. They appear to have a flat...back.

traffic light guy

Quote from: jakeroot on October 23, 2018, 12:03:30 AM
I don't know when McCain's current signals first showed up, but they could be them too. They appear to have a flat...back.
Well, McCains didn't show up until the 90s

LG-M327

jakeroot

Quote from: traffic light guy on October 23, 2018, 03:27:32 PM

Then I'm going with your original guess. All others were too fancy or bubbly.

roadfro

More surprised to see vertical overhead signals in Texas. I thought everything overhead was mounted horizontally–is that just certain jurisdictions?
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on October 24, 2018, 11:22:34 AM
More surprised to see vertical overhead signals in Texas. I thought everything overhead was mounted horizontally–is that just certain jurisdictions?

Very widespread use, but it's not everywhere. San Antonio uses vertical signals, for example. Might be a TXDOT district-to-district thing.

That said, Plano uses horizontal signals now, alongside the rest of the Dallas metro. Although vertical signals do show up when a pole or mast is involved, or occasionally when used as a supplemental overhead signal (generally rare). You can see both in this link: https://goo.gl/UgXeBn

freebrickproductions

Quote from: jakeroot on October 23, 2018, 04:44:36 PM
Quote from: traffic light guy on October 23, 2018, 03:27:32 PM

Then I'm going with your original guess. All others were too fancy or bubbly.
IIRC, from what a McCain representative told me via email, McCain started producing signals in 1982, after taking over Midwest Signal Inc. (who produced what's more or less the exact same signal that McCain now makes), though I don't know when Midwest Signal Inc. came to be.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

busman_49

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.