News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

How deficient are your state's bridges?

Started by Zeffy, February 24, 2015, 10:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

Saw this on an NJ.com article, which shows which states have the worst percent of deficient bridges and which ones have the best percent. Rhode Island comes in as most deficient, while Minnesota comes in as most un-deficient(?).

You can see the table here from the original article: http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/02/more_than_1_in_3_nj_bridges_deficient_as_federal_and_state_officials_seek_money_to_fix_them.html#incart_river
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

dcbjms

I'm not surprised with Rhode Island's ranking, as anyone familiar with our roads is keenly aware.  Granted, there's been slow repairs made to them (if not outright replaced), but the emphasis is on slow.  Near me is a short bridge to Seekonk and it has had weight limits on it for a while - since the bridge collapse in Minnesota that made national headlines, in fact.  Yet between that and our unique driving style we manage OK.  Which still astonishes me.

Zeffy

New Jersey has a major funding problem right now, so we can barely rehabilitate any of our bridges or roads. However, given just how much traffic uses our bridges every day, I'm surprised that they are still standing.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

Other than a few spectacular bridge issues (let's say a certain Rt. 1 bridge in North Jersey under construction right now), most of NJ's bridges aren't going to fall down anytime soon, which is the structurally deficient category.  Indeed - when you look at the percent of bridge in that category, only about 9.4% of our bridges are structurally deficient, which is better or relatively on pay compared to many of the states ranked lower in that chart.

NJ's main issue is with functionally obsolete overpasses, which generally means they can't handle the load of traffic, or have issues such as lack of shoulders and such.  NJ will NEVER rank well in that category, unless we discontinue funding of NJ Transit, sidewalks, and other non-road & bridge related work.  Even if a bridge would be worked on that should be widened, it's going to be in close quarters to nearby residents and businesses, none of which generally want a bridge widened even closer to their property.

NE2

Any figure that includes functionally obsolete bridges is bullshit.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: NE2 on February 24, 2015, 01:41:11 PM
Any figure that includes functionally obsolete bridges is bullshit.

There's a link to the data in the article. Download it and rework it to your heart's content.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.