Bridges that had major alterations after they were put into service.

Started by SteveG1988, August 17, 2015, 05:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

I'm not talking about lane changes where they restripe, or the rebuilding of the approach to a new geometry. But major substantial alterations.

Examples:

Murray Baker Bridge: a large section of the truss removed with a new section welded in to provide the new portal.

Bayonne Bridge: Entire new deck, Portal, and approach built at a higher elevation

Lions Gate Bridge: Entire new deck truss, went from a pony truss type layout to deck.

George Washington Bridge: Lower deck added years after construction finished.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

jeffandnicole

The Ben Franklin Bridge had several changes.  When first opened, there were 3 lanes in each direction with tracks for street cars in the *middle* of the bridge.  A decade or so later, the tracks on the outside of the bridge were built and used for more typical train/subway service.  Streetcar/subway platforms built within the piers have never been used.  On the bridge deck itself, the former streetcar tracks were converted to travel lanes.  Later on, the 8 travel lanes became 7 lanes, with a minor narrowing of the bridge, probably to create larger and stronger barriers along the outer lanes.

Of the 4 DRPA bridges, this is the only one with major functional changes.  Minor *permanent* changes on the bridges themselves (thus, we're not talking toll plaza changes) includes a permanent barrier that was installed on the Betsy Ross Bridge.  The Commodore Barry Bridge always had over-lane bridges used for signage and open/closed lane indicators that appeared to show the bridge was designed for 6 (narrow) lanes.  However, since the day it opened it was always stripped for 5 lanes, with modifications made to the over-head structures to accommodate the indicators for 5 lanes.  If any major alternations occurred, it would've been prior to the bridge being put into service.

kurumi

The Auckland [N. Z.] Harbour Bridge, originally 4 lanes, was widened to 8 lanes by attaching box girder sections to the sides. These sections, made by a Japanese company, came to be nicknamed the Nippon Clip-ons.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

SteveG1988

one that is debatable, as it could be considered a brand new bridge on old piers. The Edison bridge on US9 in NJ. They removed the original girders, shortened the piers, and built a brand new span over the old piers.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Stephane Dumas

Brandon

Like this redneck special?

Quote from: SteveG1988 on February 22, 2015, 04:20:39 PM
To me this looks like one, an overpass that is also a cable stay bridge on the ends. It looks like they widened the road and just put the cable stay bits on to reuse the existing overpass.

http://bridgehunter.com/il/madison/fairmount-lane/

Quote from: Brandon on February 23, 2015, 12:10:24 PM
That's on I-55/70 just west of I-255.  Currently, it appears to be closed to traffic.  I have no idea why IDOT District 8 decided to do the redneck thing instead of just replacing it outright when the I-255 ramps were added under it.

From I-55/70, looking west:

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

SteveG1988

Quote from: Brandon on August 17, 2015, 01:29:16 PM
Like this redneck special?

Quote from: SteveG1988 on February 22, 2015, 04:20:39 PM
To me this looks like one, an overpass that is also a cable stay bridge on the ends. It looks like they widened the road and just put the cable stay bits on to reuse the existing overpass.

http://bridgehunter.com/il/madison/fairmount-lane/

Quote from: Brandon on February 23, 2015, 12:10:24 PM
That's on I-55/70 just west of I-255.  Currently, it appears to be closed to traffic.  I have no idea why IDOT District 8 decided to do the redneck thing instead of just replacing it outright when the I-255 ramps were added under it.

From I-55/70, looking west:

Definitely counts.

A debatable one. US1 over the Delaware River, new lanes built on extended pier caps.

A Future one.... I70's new bridge at St Louis.

One that doesn't fully count, I70 over the Missouri River. The Blanchette bridge is a brand new bridge on the original piers.

Roads Clinched

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SteveG1988 on August 17, 2015, 01:55:07 PM

A debatable one. US1 over the Delaware River, new lanes built on extended pier caps.

I'd give it some points. They had to remove some of the existing bridge support on each of the dozen or so piers - most of which are in the Delaware River - and slide a new wing in there on each side.  And, they made it look nearly seamless to the previous look.

1995hoo

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 17, 2015, 11:11:16 AM
The Ben Franklin Bridge had several changes.  When first opened, there were 3 lanes in each direction with tracks for street cars in the *middle* of the bridge.  A decade or so later, the tracks on the outside of the bridge were built and used for more typical train/subway service.  Streetcar/subway platforms built within the piers have never been used.  On the bridge deck itself, the former streetcar tracks were converted to travel lanes.  Later on, the 8 travel lanes became 7 lanes, with a minor narrowing of the bridge, probably to create larger and stronger barriers along the outer lanes.

Similarly, the Brooklyn Bridge carried elevated trains and streetcars until 1950, when they stopped running, at which time the bridge was modified to carry six lanes of vehicular traffic.

Picture from 1907:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jwolfer

The Buckman Bridge(i295) in Jacksonville was originally dual spans. 2 lanes in each direction with no shoulders. In the late 1990s it was widened to 4 lanes in each direction with 4 lanes in each direction and full shoulders on each side. A new span was built immediately adjacent to the old and the ~1969 bridges were rehabbed. The old bridges made the 3.1 mile crossing seem like forever.

Bruce

Many of Seattle's bridges had their streetcar tracks removed by 1941, with the notable exception of the Aurora Bridge (which never had them).

The Homer M. Hadley Memorial Bridge (the westbound I-90 floating bridge between Seattle and Mercer Island) will have its express lanes replaced by light rail by 2023.

kkt

The San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge originally had six lanes for cars on the top deck (3 each way), and on the bottom were two interurban rail tracks and three lanes for trucks and buses (1 each way and 1 reversible).  Tracks removed, converted into five lanes on each deck, trucks and buses mixed with cars.

SteveG1988

Quote from: kkt on August 18, 2015, 12:15:18 AM
The San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge originally had six lanes for cars on the top deck (3 each way), and on the bottom were two interurban rail tracks and three lanes for trucks and buses (1 each way and 1 reversible).  Tracks removed, converted into five lanes on each deck, trucks and buses mixed with cars.

and the roadway in the tunnel lowered to allow for upper deck clearance.
Roads Clinched

Pete from Boston

I have heard that the Whitestone Bridge had its stiffening trusses added in response to the Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse.  They were removed in the bridge's last major overhaul.

kkt

Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 18, 2015, 09:13:09 AM
I have heard that the Whitestone Bridge had its stiffening trusses added in response to the Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse.  They were removed in the bridge's last major overhaul.

The Golden Gate Bridge also had additional stiffening added after the Tacoma Narrows collapse.  Later, the GGB's concrete original deck was replaced with steel with a layer of epoxy-asphalt over it.

Pete from Boston

Its sidewalks were also removed.  I don't remember if any pedestrian facility was added in the recent rehab.

Duke87

Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 18, 2015, 10:08:03 AM

Its sidewalks were also removed.  I don't remember if any pedestrian facility was added in the recent rehab.

NYC Roads tells us there were originally four lanes of traffic with sidewalks. I've never seen any photos of this configuration so I don't know what exactly the deal was. But I do know that the current suspension span has six lanes of traffic with no shoulders. There is no room for a walkway on the existing structure without reducing the number of lanes.

As far as I'm aware there are no plans to add a walkway by any means - the recent reconstruction of the approach roadways features wider lanes and shoulders, but no space for a walkway.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

GaryV

I take it you're not talking about doubling the spans, like the Blue Water or Sunshine Skyway Bridges (that one of course, replaced after the accident).

One that does count is the Houghton Lift Bridge.  It originally had railroad tracks on the lower level.  That level was paved for vehicle traffic, so in the summer the bridge can be stopped somewhat lifted so the lower level of the bridge meets the road level on land.  Then more boats can fit under it without lifting.  In the winter, with no boat traffic, the bridge is lowered fully down, and the lower deck is used by snowmobiles.

empirestate

What about High Bridge, the oldest standing bridge in NYC, which had a number of its stone arches removed and replaced by a single steel arch? (And which recently reopened to foot traffic after some 40 years of closure.)

iPhone

Pete from Boston

Quote from: empirestate on August 18, 2015, 09:46:58 PM
What about High Bridge, the oldest standing bridge in NYC, which had a number of its stone arches removed and replaced by a single steel arch? (And which recently reopened to foot traffic after some 40 years of closure.)

Good one!  I had pondered the various Harlem River swing bridges that have had new swing spans floated in but decided they were replacements more than alterations, forgetting this obvious example upstream.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 17, 2015, 02:12:03 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 17, 2015, 11:11:16 AM

Similarly, the Brooklyn Bridge carried elevated trains and streetcars until 1950, when they stopped running, at which time the bridge was modified to carry six lanes of vehicular traffic.

Picture from 1907:

Moreover, the Brooklyn Bridge was extensively rehabbed in 1948 under the guidance of David Steinman, but at this point I no longer remember what changes were made, only that others have noted they were significant.  Others can probably better elaborate.

Interesting thread idea, by the way.

Duke87

The Brooklyn Bridge was actually modified twice. First to remove the streetcar tracks and make room for four lanes of traffic (1944), and then again to remove the el tracks and make room for six lanes (1950).

This pales next to the Queensboro Bridge, though, which has had its configuration modified way too many times to count. Let's see...

The upper level originally contained just a pair of walkways. It later contained a pair of subway tracks in addition to the pair of walkways. Then the walkways were replaced with lanes of traffic, requiring the construction of new approach roadways. Then the train tracks were also replaced with lanes of traffic, resulting in further additional approach roadways.

The inner part of the lower level originally had a pair of trolley tracks plus room for vehicles, the tracks were later removed to allow four lanes of traffic. The outer part of the lower level was originally a pair of trolley tracks, the southern one is now an extra separate lane of eastbound traffic, the northern one is mostly a ped/bike walkway although part of it is now a single lane offramp from the westbound lanes.

In addition to all this there was for a while an elevator in the middle of the bridge which carried both pedestrians and vehicles (!) from the bridge down to what was then known as Welfare Island. When the Roosevelt Island Bridge was completed this elevator was abandoned and later demolished.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

dgolub

In terms of one that has a major alteration currently in progress, the Bayonne Bridge (NY 440/NJ 440) is currently being raised so that taller ships can pass under it.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Duke87 on August 18, 2015, 06:09:31 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 18, 2015, 10:08:03 AM

NYC Roads tells us there were originally four lanes of traffic with sidewalks. I've never seen any photos of this configuration so I don't know what exactly the deal was.

If I'm not mistaken, there is a photo of this in Nathan Silver's Lost New York, but I don't own it and the relevant page is not included in the Google Books preview.

SteveG1988

The Duluth Transporter bridge. converted from a transporter type to a traditional lift bridge.

For non road, The Delair bridge in NJ, converted (still in place just imobilized) from swing to a lift span in 1959.

Pre 1959

Mid conversion

Now

Also the Interstate bridge in WA.

How much of the original truss bridge was kept when they added the hump?
Roads Clinched

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.