News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Rural Freeways That Will Never Need 6 Lanes

Started by signalman, January 05, 2019, 07:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 13, 2019, 08:05:02 PM
Quote from: Beltway on January 13, 2019, 06:30:38 PM
My figure was an estimate from looking at Google aerials, just a quick estimate.  Either figure provides plenty of space for 2 lanes and 2 full shoulders.
Quote from: Flint1979 on January 13, 2019, 07:31:31 PM
That's how I did it as well. I couldn't remember and it's been years since I've been on that stretch of I-75.
For future reference, you can right click and measure if you're on Google Maps. That's what I did.
I use that feature on Google Maps too.

1995hoo

I've driven across the Everglades on I-75 fairly regularly in the past few years. It'd be relatively easy to use the median to widen it, and it's far more likely using the median would pass environmental muster than adding a lane on the outside (plus the latter might involve moving a lot of fencing if the berm had to be expanded).

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they do widen it at some point in the next ten years. Traffic isn't horrendous, but at the same time there's enough of it to make passing a hassle, and as noted before the growth of Naples and Fort Myers is only going to make traffic increase.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SD Mapman

Quote from: webny99 on January 05, 2019, 08:32:39 AM
Quote from: signalman on January 05, 2019, 07:26:04 AM
Granted, there will probably be less examples of this and most are pretty obvious, but let's give it a shot. 

Actually, I would think in terms of total mileage, there would be more examples for this thread. At least, it's easier to paint with a broader brush (by submitting entire states, etc.). Of course, saying "never" as opposed to "not now" helps trim it down some.

My first submission: I-29, I-90, and I-94 through the Dakotas.

That's... actually not entirely true. The stretch of I-90 from Spearfish to Rapid will eventually be upgraded, I-29 is already 6 lanes in Sioux Falls, and I-90 probably will be upgraded around Sioux Falls as well. The latest repave of I-90 (between Piedmont and Tilford) widened the median so they could upgrade to 6 lanes should the need arise.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

froggie

Quote from: SD MapmanThat's... actually not entirely true. The stretch of I-90 from Spearfish to Rapid will eventually be upgraded, I-29 is already 6 lanes in Sioux Falls, and I-90 probably will be upgraded around Sioux Falls as well. The latest repave of I-90 (between Piedmont and Tilford) widened the median so they could upgrade to 6 lanes should the need arise.

Rebuilt between Spearfish and Rapid, probably, but not widened.  Very little of the corridor sees more than 20K vpd, with some segments as low as 10K.  Even within the Piedmont to Tilford segment you mentioned, traffic would have to more than double before you could start justifying 6 lanes.

I also don't see it happening for a long while (if ever) in Sioux Falls.  I-90 in Sioux Falls has less than half the traffic that 29 and 229 do.  And most of Sioux Falls' growth appears to be to the south, not the north.  Unless/until that changes, there will be zero need to widen I-90.

I could eventually see the 6 lanes on I-29 extended south another exit or two.  That's area that's largely rural right now, but is also in the zone of Sioux Falls' growth.

yeen125

Interstate 43 between Elkhorn and Mukwonago, WI.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.