News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Longest distance between two exits with the same control city

Started by kirbykart, July 18, 2022, 05:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirbykart

On Massachusetts Route 2, Exit 70 is signed for:
MA-128
ORANGE CTR
WORCESTER
and Exit 101 is signed for:
I-190
WORCESTER
That's 31 miles along the road between two exits that use the same control city. If you have any other examples like this, feel free to share!

1995hoo

I-95 in South Carolina–Exit 86 and Exit 160 are both signed (in one direction, anyway) for Columbia (I-26 and I-20, respectively). That's 74 miles apart.

Edited to add:

Also I-75 in Florida–Exit 228 and Exit 274 (46 miles apart) both list I-275 to St. Petersburg.

I-65 in Alabama–Exit 171 in Montgomery is for I-85 north to Atlanta; Exit 261B in Birmingham (90 miles north) is for I-20 east to Atlanta.

One more: I-70 has exit signs listing Chicago some 224 miles apart–one in Indianapolis, the other near St. Louis where the road joins I-55 and I-270 splits off–although technically the latter sign is for an exit from I-270. I'd still count it because the I-270 exit is directly accessible from I-70 there (no using a single-lane ramp or cloverleaf loop or the like).

When you think about it, this shouldn't be too terribly unusual when there's a very significant city, no other places of significance, and roads configured somewhat like a triangle.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

wanderer2575

kirbykart

Wow that Chicago one is crazy. You know, I don't know a whole lot outside of the Northeast, it's cool to see people's opinions who know about a lot more of the country's roads!

kirbykart

Ted$8roadFan

I-10 in Florida: Pensacola, Tallahassee, Lake City, Jacksonville.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.