News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Rhode Island mileage based exit numbers?

Started by vdeane, April 27, 2014, 05:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: mass_citizen on May 24, 2019, 12:40:01 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 21, 2019, 03:52:59 PM
Now if only Massachusetts would restart its sequential-to-milepost exit numbering conversion, instead of permanently canceling it.

Yes! Because motorists using signage to know how many miles they are from their desired exit is so important in the age of GPS that we should spend millions of dollars on statewide sign conversions!
Yes.  Yes, we should.  From the authorization I saw, it wasn't that expensive.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

PurdueBill

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 24, 2019, 09:11:38 AM
Now if only Massachusetts would restart its sequential-to-milepost exit numbering conversion, instead of permanently canceling it.

Yes! Because motorists using signage to know how many miles they are from their desired exit is so important in the age of GPS that we should spend millions of dollars on statewide sign conversions!
Two things:

1.  The first part of your quote can be considered fighting words; read my signature line... just saying.

2.  MassDOT is already replacing many of its signs anyway; so while the numbers haven't changed yet on those new signs, the new exit tab panels are sized for pending mile-marker based exit numbers (i.e. should EXIT XX become EXIT YY A).  That said, the money spent argument is comparatively moot.

Too many people fart around with their GPS instead of paying attention to the signs and the road anymore and indeed the signs are being replaced anyway; the stink on the Cape came when people saw the plans for the sign replacement, not just exit number changes alone.

abqtraveler

Quote from: PurdueBill on May 26, 2019, 02:22:17 PM

Two things:

1.  The first part of your quote can be considered fighting words; read my signature line... just saying.

2.  MassDOT is already replacing many of its signs anyway; so while the numbers haven't changed yet on those new signs, the new exit tab panels are sized for pending mile-marker based exit numbers (i.e. should EXIT XX become EXIT YY A).  That said, the money spent argument is comparatively moot.

Too many people fart around with their GPS instead of paying attention to the signs and the road anymore and indeed the signs are being replaced anyway; the stink on the Cape came when people saw the plans for the sign replacement, not just exit number changes alone.

I just find it amazing that a few rich folks on the Cape were able to derail the exit conversion project for the entire state.  If it were such an issue for Cape Cod residents, then MassDOT should have just punted on replacing signs and renumbering exits on Cape Cod, while letting exit number conversions for the rest of the state to move forward.  This shouldn't be such a big of a deal that opponents make it out to be, since Massachusetts has quite a history of changing its exit numbers.  How many times have highway exits been renumbered around Boston over the years?
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

machias

By that logic, MassDOT (or whatever it's called) should stop replacing fallen guide signs or guide signs traditionally needing replacement to maintain legibility and just let in vehicle GPS handle the guidance. That way Massaschusetts could really save money: make vehicular guidance a purely entitled, privately funded affair.

Motorists don't know how good they have it until they don't have it anymore.

bob7374

Quote from: abqtraveler on May 27, 2019, 08:12:20 AM
Quote from: PurdueBill on May 26, 2019, 02:22:17 PM

Two things:

I just find it amazing that a few rich folks on the Cape were able to derail the exit conversion project for the entire state.  If it were such an issue for Cape Cod residents, then MassDOT should have just punted on replacing signs and renumbering exits on Cape Cod, while letting exit number conversions for the rest of the state to move forward.  This shouldn't be such a big of a deal that opponents make it out to be, since Massachusetts has quite a history of changing its exit numbers.  How many times have highway exits been renumbered around Boston over the years?
Good points. However, many members of the then new Baker Administration were not fans of the project either, since it was started in the Patrick administration. They apparently decided to take advantage of a vocal minority on the Cape as an excuse to stop the project statewide even after the contract had been awarded. Even stating to the press that the Cape situation was the result of some over eager sign engineers within MassDOT and that the exit number conversion project was really only a proposal for sometime later, despite facts to the contrary.

Ben114

Looks like 146 has mile-based exits now, but they are still switching the signs

PHLBOS

Quote from: Ben114 on June 26, 2019, 10:06:53 AMLooks like 146 has mile-based exits now, but they are still switching the signs.
Given how this thread veered off into Massachusetts; I'm assuming the above changes is for the RI stretch of 146.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Ben114

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 26, 2019, 01:40:19 PM
Quote from: Ben114 on June 26, 2019, 10:06:53 AMLooks like 146 has mile-based exits now, but they are still switching the signs.
Given how this thread veered off into Massachusetts; I'm assuming the above changes is for the RI stretch of 146.
Yes, RI 146. I'll put some pictures up later.

Ben114

Update: got the photos up!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/benyt2014/

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Ben114

bob7374

I took a trip down on Sunday to check out the new RI 146 exit numbers and signs. Only the ground mounted signs have been replaced, at least heading north after the freeway resumes after the RI 146A in North Smithfield. Here is the first new sign, the old overhead one still remains in the distance:

The new exit number gore signs for the rest of the route have only been put up heading south. Here is the new Exit 8A sign at the ramp to I-295 North:

All the photos I took are posted on my Misc. Mass. (and other states) Sign Photo Gallery:
http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/miscsigns.html

odditude

Quote from: bob7374 on July 01, 2019, 09:53:21 PMHere is the new Exit 8B sign...
is the sign an error, or is this just a typo on your part?

Ben114

Quote from: odditude on July 02, 2019, 09:41:19 AM
Quote from: bob7374 on July 01, 2019, 09:53:21 PMHere is the new Exit 8B sign...
is the sign an error, or is this just a typo on your part?
It's a typo, signs are correct.

roadman

Quote from: bob7374 on July 01, 2019, 09:53:21 PM
I took a trip down on Sunday to check out the new RI 146 exit numbers and signs. Only the ground mounted signs have been replaced, at least heading north after the freeway resumes after the RI 146A in North Smithfield. Here is the first new sign, the old overhead one still remains in the distance:

This photo clearly demonstrates a basic problem with large ground-mounted signs.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bob7374

RIDOT has updated its Exit Renumbering Project website to include information on the new numbers for RI 146 (although, as they state, this work is not part of that project):
http://www.dot.ri.gov/projects/exitnumbers/index.php

bob7374

RIDOT has posted an advertisement for its next round of exit renumbering. The winning bidder is to be announced on August 16. The contract calls for interim completion by Dec. 20 and substantial completion by Feb. 28. One of the bidders, Liddell Bros. (and most likely the winning bidder, since they won the previous 2 contracts) though has posted a question about their capability of completing such a project by that date due to some of the new overhead signs requested in the RFP and wants RIDOT to move back substantial completion to May 31.

Link to the RIDOT Bidding Opportunities Page: http://www.dot.ri.gov/contracting/bids/index.php

shadyjay

If the project is to include I-95 and I-195, that is a lot of overhead sign work to be accomplished in a short amount of time.  Not to mention, the finicky New England winters (November and December can produce a lot of snow, depending on storm tracks), so their request seems logical to me.

SectorZ

Quote from: bob7374 on August 03, 2019, 06:05:27 PM
RIDOT has posted an advertisement for its next round of exit renumbering. The winning bidder is to be announced on August 16. The contract calls for interim completion by Dec. 20 and substantial completion by Feb. 28. One of the bidders, Liddell Bros. (and most likely the winning bidder, since they won the previous 2 contracts) though has posted a question about their capability of completing such a project by that date due to some of the new overhead signs requested in the RFP and wants RIDOT to move back substantial completion to May 31.

Link to the RIDOT Bidding Opportunities Page: http://www.dot.ri.gov/contracting/bids/index.php

It's nice to see that Liddell can actually admit they can't achieve something in a stated timeframe, instead of their current course to now of just not finishing things at all...

roadman

Quote from: shadyjay on August 04, 2019, 11:32:57 AM
If the project is to include I-95 and I-195, that is a lot of overhead sign work to be accomplished in a short amount of time.  Not to mention, the finicky New England winters (November and December can produce a lot of snow, depending on storm tracks), so their request seems logical to me.

Sounds like the work is to include the installation of new sign structures.  In that context, it appears that Liddell has a valid concern regarding the milestone and completion dates for the contract.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

shadyjay

Most likely the contract involves installing the "OLD EXIT ##" panels on existing panels, as well as changing the number on the exit tabs.  There are many more overhead signs over the 40+ miles of Interstate 95 than any of the other projects.  Accessing the overheads is a greater disruption to traffic and thus more time consuming than just modifying side-mounted signs (such as intermediate signs on I-295). I doubt the project is involving new sign structures themselves. 

I'm not sure the difference between "interim" and "substantial" completion is for an exit renumbering project.  But, you're going to have to make the panels, then take the time to install them.  And I'm sure there's a blackout for work in Warwick-Pawtucket (nighttime work only, or limited daytime hours midday).  Throw in a Nor'Easter or two and there goes your project schedule. 

roadman

Quote from: shadyjay on August 06, 2019, 03:11:52 PM
Most likely the contract involves installing the "OLD EXIT ##" panels on existing panels, as well as changing the number on the exit tabs.  There are many more overhead signs over the 40+ miles of Interstate 95 than any of the other projects.  Accessing the overheads is a greater disruption to traffic and thus more time consuming than just modifying side-mounted signs (such as intermediate signs on I-295). I doubt the project is involving new sign structures themselves. 

I'm not sure the difference between "interim" and "substantial" completion is for an exit renumbering project.  But, you're going to have to make the panels, then take the time to install them.  And I'm sure there's a blackout for work in Warwick-Pawtucket (nighttime work only, or limited daytime hours midday).  Throw in a Nor'Easter or two and there goes your project schedule. 

From Liddell's question as posted on the RIDOT page:

QuoteAfter contract award, the Overhead Sign Structure items (T17.0202, T17.0203, T17.0204 and T17.0210) within this project will require a lengthy submittal process of 8 to 12 weeks as well as a lengthy fabrication lead time after approval of 12 to 14 weeks.

So it sounds like there is structural work involved, as well as fabricating sign panels and overlays.

bob7374

Quote from: roadman on August 06, 2019, 03:35:22 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on August 06, 2019, 03:11:52 PM

From Liddell's question as posted on the RIDOT page:

QuoteAfter contract award, the Overhead Sign Structure items (T17.0202, T17.0203, T17.0204 and T17.0210) within this project will require a lengthy submittal process of 8 to 12 weeks as well as a lengthy fabrication lead time after approval of 12 to 14 weeks.

So it sounds like there is structural work involved, as well as fabricating sign panels and overlays.
RIDOT responded to the Liddell Bros. question by creating an addendum to the contract pushing back the substantial completion date. The contract was awarded on Friday (8/16), guess who won the contract with a bid of $1.47 million? Liddell Bros., of course. The only other bidder was Roadsafe Systems with a bid of just under $2 million. Expect an announcement about Round 3 of exit renumbering in the next month or so. According to the project details, they will install 9 new cantilever sign posts and 1 61-65 foot overhead span structure as part of the contract plus they will be installing 112 new mile markers. The contract will remove 50 overhead sign exit tabs. Does this indicate just I-95 or other routes as well?
The bid summary is at:
https://www.pmp.dot.ri.gov/PMP/PMPReporting/Home.mvc/ReportViewer/420722

Ben114

Update on RI 146 project, looks like instead of replacing the signs, or even adding new tabs, they have decided to add a small sign along the side of the gantry with the new exit number.

(Tractor-trailer tolling has made it to RI 146, with a $3.50 toll just south of the I-295 interchange.)

bob7374

Quote from: Ben114 on November 23, 2019, 06:17:38 PM
Update on RI 146 project, looks like instead of replacing the signs, or even adding new tabs, they have decided to add a small sign along the side of the gantry with the new exit number.

(Tractor-trailer tolling has made it to RI 146, with a $3.50 toll just south of the I-295 interchange.)
Replacing the exit signs south of I-295 is to occur next year as part of Phase II of the project. Meanwhile, hopefully the latest round of exit renumbering elsewhere will start soon.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.