News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Louisiana meet--March 17 & 18, 2018

Started by cjk374, October 19, 2017, 09:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: getemngo on March 11, 2018, 08:47:41 PM
I finally secured all the time off from work a few days ago and will be riding down with A.J. (who RSVP'd back in January).

It's going to be a two-day journey both ways. Heading down will be an all-freeway route involving I-57 (with a stop in Cairo), I-55, I-40, I-30, and I-49. I'm not sure of the exact route back but it involves US 67 and US 167 and then joining I-70 eastbound near St. Louis.

I'm excited that Sam is joining me for this trip! Sam's exactly right as far as the route goes. Thursday morning he and I will be leaving the Grand Rapids area around 7:30-ish. I'm not sure what time we'll make it to Cairo but we'll definitely check out that place before heading over to Sikeston MO for the night. Friday morning we will take the route like Sam described (I-55 to I-40 to I-30 to I-49) to Shreveport for the night, and we'll crash with Brandon Gorte at the Sleep Inn on (I believe) the west side of Shreveport.

Sunday morning, from Shreveport, I'm planning on taking I-20 east to U.S. 165 near Monroe... then 165 north to U.S. 425 into Arkansas to I-530 (around Pine Bluff and Little Rock) to U.S. 67/167 eventually getting to I-55 in Missouri, and then to the St. Louis area and I-70 east (staying in Effingham IL on Sunday night). My goal for Sunday is to clinch as many counties and highways as possible.

We will head back home to Michigan on Monday.
-A.J. from Michigan

TheHighwayMan3561

My plans go as follows so far. The second half of the trip was only decided today.

Days 1-2: MSP-Shreveport with stopover in Kansas City. Standard route of I-35 and US 71/I-49.

Days 3-4: meet activities

Days 4-6: Drive to Nashville, TN

Days 7-8: Drive home.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hbelkins

This is clearly going to be THE meet of the year (at least so far, out of everything that's been announced) and I really hate I can't make it. I had thought about trying to abbreviate the trip a little, but I had to burn yet another vacation day a couple of weeks ago due to a death in my wife's family, making even a shortened trip impossible. And I still don't think my knee is up to such a long journey.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

I'm pretty much going to just straight shot to Shreveport. I may take 49 at Texarkana since I've not driven south since the pre-drive a few years ago. If I hit town early enough, I may do some exploring on my own.

Weather permitting on Sunday, I may try to trace the old Jefferson Highway to Baton Rouge. If the weather is bad, then it'll be 80 to Ruston, then 167/63 to Pine Bluff, then home.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jpi

So just to confirm, we are meeting at the Strawn's at 125 Kings HWY Shreveport, LA 71104? Steph noticed there is more then 1 location so just want to make sure
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

US71

Quote from: jpi on March 14, 2018, 02:05:32 PM
So just to confirm, we are meeting at the Strawn's at 125 Kings HWY Shreveport, LA 71104? Steph noticed there is more then 1 location so just want to make sure

I believe that is correct. A link was posted upthread.

SSOWorld

Second spot was the post-meet spot.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

cjk374

Strawn's is the meet's lunch place:

Strawn's Eat Shop
125 Kings Hwy, Shreveport, LA 71104
(318) 868-0634

https://goo.gl/maps/Eeo6GbmoBYL2

Walk-ons is the post-meet supper place:

Walk-On's Bistreaux & Bar

7031 Youree Dr, Shreveport, LA 71105
(318) 220-4256

https://goo.gl/maps/vHyi1MGUN5x

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

An update on the weather:  it ain't pretty. We'll see what happens.

https://www.ktbs.com/weather/?mode=week&weather_zip=71104
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

signalman

I have my fingers crossed for decent weather.  I've been watching the weather for Shreveport as well.  I'm looking for rain gear just in case, but hopefully it won't be needed. I'm really looking forward to this.  I'm also excited because I don't think I've met anyone who's attending before.  My work schedule doesn't really allow me to attend road meets, as I normally work weekends, so I haven't met too many roadgeeks in person.  See y'all Saturday morning!

jpi

Meh, only 30% chance of storms and 81, not too worried and looking forward to the temp  :nod:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

US71

Quote from: jpi on March 14, 2018, 09:48:31 PM
Meh, only 30% chance of storms and 81, not too worried and looking forward to the temp  :nod:

Sauna ;)

signalman

I'm looking forward to the warmth as well.  Definitely ready to get out of this frozen hell hole. 

cjk374

Safe travels to all of y'all coming down today & tomorrow. See y'all Saturday!

cjk374

SUCCESS!! TX & LA  maps are in my possession, all courtesy the TX Welcome Center in Waskom.

That's right...I got Louisiana maps at the TX welcome center. Is this weird or do other welcome centers give maps for neighboring states?

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on March 15, 2018, 03:12:11 PM
SUCCESS!! TX & LA  maps are in my possession, all courtesy the TX Welcome Center in Waskom.

That's right...I got Louisiana maps at the TX welcome center. Is this weird or do other welcome centers give maps for neighboring states?

Not Arkansas. though they will sometimes post a map in the window of the adjoining state.

Brandon

Quote from: US71 on March 15, 2018, 04:15:35 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on March 15, 2018, 03:12:11 PM

Not Arkansas. though they will sometimes post a map in the window of the adjoining state.

Likewise, ISTHA has a posted map of Wisconsin in the Lake Forest Oasis and a map of Indiana at the Lincoln Oasis, next to their tollway system maps, but no Wisconsin or Indiana maps out there or at the Lincoln Oasis.  As for IDOT, surely you must be joking.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jpi

I made sure to put the 2018 TN maps in the Spectra this morning and should have plenty for everyone.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

signalman

I was able to get some extra WV maps this morning.  I didn't want to be a dick and take all of the maps on the rack, but I took most of them.  I have 5 available...first come, first serve.

SSOWorld

Ironically, the Dubuque Welcome Center (a partner with IA) had IL, IA and WI Maps but were of low count.  So did the Platteville welcome center (a partner with WI) - same three states.  The Pit of Missouri welcome Center didn't have any for IL that I could see and they handed out their maps at the counter (and tried to collect my zip code :( )

that said, IA and MO maps are not going to be enough for everyone so lets plan for those who have limited access to these states to get one first.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

TheHighwayMan3561

I got 10 MN maps; I considered grabbing 15 but while I know that doesn't cover everyone I anticipated not everyone will need or want one.

cjk374

The TX welcome center gave me 25 maps each of TX & LA. I done good!  :sombrero:

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on March 15, 2018, 08:18:22 PM
The TX welcome center gave me 25 maps each of TX & LA. I done good!  :sombrero:

You can paper your walls.  :)

I have around 20 ARDOT maps. Started with 25, but left a couple in the motel bible drawers on my travels   😇

TheHighwayMan3561

I picked up a bunch of additional MO maps (the Eagleville welcome center at the IA/MO line on I-35 is self serve); couldn't get any extra IA maps at Lamoni unfortunately because those were kept behind the counter.

cl94

I have zero new maps beyond the few NY ones I brought. If you got a NY map anytime since 2015, don't bother taking one, as they're still using the 2015 map. MD and GA welcome centers were closed when I passed and NC, SC, AL were guarding the maps.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

oscar

Quote from: cl94 on March 15, 2018, 09:22:44 PM
I have zero new maps beyond the few NY ones I brought. If you got a NY map anytime since 2015, don't bother taking one, as they're still using the 2015 map. MD and GA welcome centers were closed when I passed and NC, SC, AL were guarding the maps.

I got several AL maps (don't remember whether I got them at a place with self-serve map distro, or rather the lady behind the counter didn't guard her stack very well). Ditto for TX. The host got plenty of TX at a different location, but you might grab an extra from my pile, since the maps tear easily (the one I'm using now is already pretty well torn up, and destined for the recycle bin when I get home).

I got just two GA maps at the Augusta visitor center, one old-style 2015 and a newer style breaking the state into regions.

I might still have one gently-used NC map. I didn't bother with MS, since my drive through that state was short and all-Interstate, so I didn't need a map for my own use. Nor with SC, since there was no visitor center where I entered the state on US 76.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.