News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Largest cities without a 3di interstate route

Started by ozarkman417, September 02, 2019, 09:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkman417

Cities without an interstate going through them & cities without a 2di within a 10 mile radius don't count. Many larger cities have some sort of bypass or spur going around or through the urban center. Other cities just... don't have one, because a non-interstate route takes that role, it doesn't exist but should or should not be needed.

My example is... Springfield. There's three freeways going around it but it's not exactly a loop. There has in the past been talks about making an I-244 but those died off a while ago.

Max Rockatansky

Phoenix, ADOT wanted them but couldn't get them added as early Interstate corridors.  AZ 51 is probably based off the proposed I-510 and the Loop 202 was planned as AZ 217. 

ilpt4u

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=20298.0

This thread has been had before...

Also, future reference, when alluding to a city named Springfield, add the state (tho I think MO can be inferred here by the 244 mention)

That said, I'll chime one in...NW Indiana. I-294 used to enter Indiana, but not for awhile now. Is NW IN part of Chicagoland? Its a big enough Hoosier population center and crossroads to justify one. Proposals have included both the "long"  and "short"  versions of the Illiana, tho I don't think those proposals got far enough to gather a potential 3DI number

ozarkman417

"You can't delete your own topic in this board".... Great.  :banghead:
I'll let the mods take it from here.

1995hoo

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 02, 2019, 10:27:53 PM

You can't delete a topic once there are replies.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 03, 2019, 08:49:21 PM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 02, 2019, 10:27:53 PM
You can't delete a topic once there are replies.

You can't delete it before it has replies, either. I've tried on various occasions, and always get a pop-up message: "You can't delete threads from just any board!"

As if there are some boards with special privileges or something.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 02, 2019, 09:51:31 PM
Phoenix, ADOT wanted them but couldn't get them added as early Interstate corridors.  AZ 51 is probably based off the proposed I-510 and the Loop 202 was planned as AZ 217.

The first section of what is now I-10 going north from the split with I-17 was originally signed as I-510 for a couple of years in the mid 1960s.  It ended at the entrance to Sky Harbor Airport, at Buckeye Rd.  It was later proposed as I-410, but that was never signed.

ADOT has never proposed or signed any 3DIs since, and there is no chance of any new ones in the future.  And, yes, AZ 51 was based on I-510, although no part of the 51 had been built while I-510 existed.  AZ 217 showed up on some 1980s maps as the number for the Red Mountain Freeway, but no part of that freeway was ever signed as such in the field.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

hbelkins

Biggest one in Kentucky, obviously, is Lexington.

Biggest one in West Virginia is Charleston. The biggest city in the state doesn't have a 3di, while Wheeling does.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mark68

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

TEG24601

Spokane, WA.  It really should get I-290, and perhaps a spur number for the new US395/2 freeway being built.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

thspfc

Madison and Rockford I believe are the largest in their respective states.

amroad17

Quote from: hbelkins on September 04, 2019, 01:22:20 PM
Biggest one in Kentucky, obviously, is Lexington.

Biggest one in West Virginia is Charleston. The biggest city in the state doesn't have a 3di, while Wheeling does.
At one time, wasn't the New Circle Freeway/Road proposed to be I-464 once brought up to Interstate standards?  Also, where would a possible 3di be in the Charleston area, short of upgrading US 119 to full I-standards for an I-x64 spur?

Phoenix is acknowledged to be the largest city without a 3di.  I nominate Orlando as a large city without a 3di.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

GaryV

In Michigan, it would be Ann Arbor.  It would take a lot of work to upgrade M-14 to Interstate standards just to be able to create a I-x94.

NWI_Irish96

In Indiana, it was South Bend, but now is Evansville, but may eventually be South Bend again, and could become Carmel either before or after reverting back to South Bend.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

sparker

I'm going to go ahead and speculate that Austin, TX may well be the largest city in the whole country without a 3di -- not that they're particularly interested in acquiring or even designating one!  OTOH, they've had a keen interest in deploying regional toll facilities -- functionally in place of any 3di's.  Time will tell whether this particular regional format will persist or, like other toll facilities, become freeways at some point (at which time it's possible that Interstate designations could be sought for some of these roads). 

sprjus4

Quote from: sparker on September 05, 2019, 05:36:52 PM
I'm going to go ahead and speculate that Austin, TX may well be the largest city in the whole country without a 3di -- not that they're particularly interested in acquiring or even designating one!  OTOH, they've had a keen interest in deploying regional toll facilities -- functionally in place of any 3di's.  Time will tell whether this particular regional format will persist or, like other toll facilities, become freeways at some point (at which time it's possible that Interstate designations could be sought for some of these roads).
Population wise, it'd be Phoenix with 1.6 million. Austin is slightly under 1 million. But both cities are definitely close when it comes to population, and are distinctive for not having a 3-D.

ftballfan

Quote from: cabiness42 on September 05, 2019, 09:08:46 AM
In Indiana, it was South Bend, but now is Evansville, but may eventually be South Bend again, and could become Carmel either before or after reverting back to South Bend.

Does I-465 enter Carmel at all?

sparker

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 05, 2019, 05:40:14 PM
Quote from: sparker on September 05, 2019, 05:36:52 PM
Population wise, it'd be Phoenix with 1.6 million. Austin is slightly under 1 million. But both cities are definitely close when it comes to population, and are distinctive for not having a 3-D.

It's notable that both of these cities, Phoenix & Austin, have deployed rather extensive limited-access facilities outside the Interstate arena -- the first with their "loop" and connector system, the second with the aforementioned toll roadways.  Maybe either or both could be construed as the various jurisdictions' desire to minimize federal oversight of their locally-formulated plans as much as possible -- something not attainable with I-designated facilities (although some federally-sourced funding was undoubtedly part of the process in either instance). 

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ftballfan on September 05, 2019, 05:41:57 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on September 05, 2019, 09:08:46 AM

Does I-465 enter Carmel at all?

Forgot about that sliver of 465 that enters Carmel.  So it's Evansville for now, but when the I-69 Ohio River bridge is built, that would leave a stub of the existing I-69 that might become I-169, so it could go back to South Bend.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Brandon

Quote from: thspfc on September 04, 2019, 09:41:20 PM
Madison and Rockford Aurora I believe are the largest in their respective states.

Aurora, although part of Metro Chicago, does not have a 3di of its own.  And it's bigger than Rockford.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

Quote from: amroad17 on September 04, 2019, 10:44:27 PM

At one time, wasn't the New Circle Freeway/Road proposed to be I-464 once brought up to Interstate standards?  [/quote]

No. That's most likely someone's drug-fueled fantasy. Besides, it would have to connect to the existing interstate system.

QuoteAlso, where would a possible 3di be in the Charleston area, short of upgrading US 119 to full I-standards for an I-x64 spur?

I can't really think of any existing routes that would qualify, and there's too much development along Corridor G to upgrade it. Any possible 3di would be some sort of downtown bypass, which really isn't economically feasible.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheHighwayMan3561

MN is Rochester, though technically St. Paul has none within city limits.  :sombrero:

It's been endlessly speculated on this board if Rochester will get an x90 someday, but MN's current practices seem to indicate it'll just stay US 52.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

pianocello

In Iowa, the largest is Iowa City. I-380 is close, but it never enters the city limits.

Honorable mention: I-380 in Iowa has potential as a 2di corridor, so if it is renumbered as such (it won't), it will leave Cedar Rapids and possibly Waterloo as the largest cities in Iowa without a 3di.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

ozarkman417

Quote from: pianocello on September 07, 2019, 08:27:15 PM
Honorable mention: I-380 in Iowa has potential as a 2di corridor.
I incorporated the entirety of 380 in a fictional 2di Interstate here: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=25552.0

TBKS1

For Arkansas, depends on if you're asking before 2014 or after 2014 (the year that Interstate 49 was signed)

After 2014 is definitely Fayetteville (about 80,000)
Before 2014 is probably Conway (about 60,000)

There's also the opposite of this too where some cities don't have a 2di, Jonesboro (I-555) and Pine Bluff (I-530) are the two biggest.
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.