News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-77

Started by 74/171FAN, April 18, 2009, 05:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

NC is considering adding HOT Lanes(however in the current HOV Lanes similar to I-95 in Miami) to I-77 in uptown Charlotte up to I-485.  http://www.charlotteobserver.com/local/story/672858.html  EDIT: Here's the updated link
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alex

I clicked the link and got a 404

There is already an HOV lane in each direction for part of that stretch. So will that be incorporated into the tolled lanes?

74/171FAN

Suburban sprawl pleasing NCDOT, possible I-77 widening paid for by the planned shopping center via a new interchange at Westmoreland Rd(like we need more sprawl on I-77 north of Charlotte)  http://www.charlotteobserver.com/local/story/702120.html
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alex

I was amazed to see how much traffic Interstate 77 gained between 2001 and 2009 through the Huntersville area. The sprawl is truely monumental on that corridor, and traffic for us was thick all the way to Statesville.

Approving more sprawl...well look at what Orange County, FL is doing with the Alafaya Trail extension to the Beachline. That will open up the Deseret Ranch area for a potential 10,000 new homes.

Doing some research on Missouri 364 the other day too and noted sprawl reaching further and further west, well beyond its planned end at Interstate 64 & U.S. 40-61. So Charlotte, North Carolina unfortunately is just keeping pace with other hotbeds of sprawl in the country.

Heading up Interstate 85, the recent article on Business Loop I-40's signs coming down in Greensboro and "noise complaints reducing on Painter Boulevard" is quite laughable. They built Painter Boulevard with eight lanes, but now since most are glued to Interstate 40 because of it again doesn't change routes, no one will use Interstate 73? So its an eight-lane freeway through suburban sprawl that will generate less noise? When will it need Interstate 840 on it to draw away traffic from I-40? :-D

rickmastfan67

Well, just want to give you guys the heads up, I just found out that the new I-77 Exit #31 in NC will be opening on 8/1/09 @ Langtree Road.  If you have been following this interchange, maybe reports have said it would be Exit #32, but this new article says it will be Exit #31 instead.

http://www2.mooresvilletribune.com/content/2009/jul/22/new-i-77-interchange-could-open-aug-1/

Revive 755

Quote from: AARoads on May 14, 2009, 03:33:34 AM
Doing some research on Missouri 364 the other day too and noted sprawl reaching further and further west, well beyond its planned end at Interstate 64 & U.S. 40-61. So Charlotte, North Carolina unfortunately is just keeping pace with other hotbeds of sprawl in the country.

During the first round of I-70 studies there was consideration of extending MO 364 west to meet I-70 around Warrenton, but I think one of the arguments against it was that it would destroy the character of the area.

It will be interesting to see which area reaches another city first:  St. Louis reaching Columbia, MO, or Bowling Green; or Charlotte reaching Statesville, Spartanburg, or Winston-Salem.

mpgarr

Give enough time and Columbia and Charlotte will meld together one day---most of that area around Rockhill and Rockmill are more or less parts of greater Charlotte---look at how metro Atlanta grew since the early 1970s!! One day--metro Atlanta will stretch from Macon to Chattanoga!!!

Marc

Same can be said for many cities. San Antonio and Austin are pretty much "one" nowadays and as you head north out of Austin, there are plenty of towns that link Austin with DFW (Killeen, Temple, Waco). Once you get to the other side of Waco, you're not that far at all from the I-35E/W split. There aren't many two-lane sections of I-35 from Austin to DFW anymore.

lamsalfl

Extend this road to Savannah.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: lamsalfl on August 12, 2009, 10:59:45 PM
Extend this road to Savannah.

I 2nd that.  They should honestly look at doing that somehow.

lamsalfl

Chew on this.

http://www.i73.com/images/SC_sm.jpg

I-73's official government website shows I-77 going to I-95.  Mistake or something we don't know?

Chris

Whoa, that's weird. I cannot believe this would be an actual plan... the I-26/I-95 route is not even really a long detour compared to the I-77 routing on that map.

florida

Quote from: lamsalfl on August 29, 2009, 01:59:30 PM
Chew on this.

http://www.i73.com/images/SC_sm.jpg

I-73's official government website shows I-77 going to I-95.  Mistake or something we don't know?

:-D They must also plan to completely destroy I-26 north of Columbia and replace part of it with I-385. Check out I-85 too. Some hokey must've made that map up.
So many roads...so little time.

OracleUsr

Not to mention that US 178 doesn't go anywhere NEAR Greenville...closest it comes is probably its intersection at US 123 in Liberty, SC, but that's west of Easley, which itself is 10 miles west of Greenville (and I doubt that's US 176, which heads south through Spartanburg.  An SC 110 (extra 0???) goes to Cowpens, which is east of Spartanburg, not Greenville, unless they meant SC 11, the Cherokee Foothills Scenic Highway, but that's quite a distance north of Greenville.

I spent too much free time in college (1995 Clemson grad) roadgeeking.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

leifvanderwall

If I had my way, I-77 would be built to Florida and end at I-75. I think from South Carolina , I-77 should run parellel to US 301 and join I-75 in the Ocala area or just south of Gainesville.

VTGoose

Quote from: leifvanderwall on September 04, 2009, 10:42:16 AM
If I had my way, I-77 would be built to Florida and end at I-75. I think from South Carolina , I-77 should run parellel to US 301 and join I-75 in the Ocala area or just south of Gainesville.

OK, so this is 7 years old, but has anything moved in this direction? Since #2 son moved to the Tampa area a year ago, we have made several trips between Southwest Virginia and west-central Florida. There is no easy way to get there from home. The "shortest" trip requires going east then west via I-26, I-95, and either I-4 or U.S. routes. The alternative, yet longer, route is to head to Atlanta (with all that traffic mess involves) via I-85 from Charlotte to pick up I-75 for the long haul south. It would seem to make sense to extend I-77 to Valdosta via a choice of routes to open up parts of central Georgia and provide a good alternative to I-95.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Thing 342

Quote from: VTGoose on August 16, 2016, 11:19:25 AM

OK, so this is 7 years old, but has anything moved in this direction? Since #2 son moved to the Tampa area a year ago, we have made several trips between Southwest Virginia and west-central Florida. There is no easy way to get there from home. The "shortest" trip requires going east then west via I-26, I-95, and either I-4 or U.S. routes. The alternative, yet longer, route is to head to Atlanta (with all that traffic mess involves) via I-85 from Charlotte to pick up I-75 for the long haul south. It would seem to make sense to extend I-77 to Valdosta via a choice of routes to open up parts of central Georgia and provide a good alternative to I-95.

Bruce in Blacksburg
I doubt it, but an I-77 extension (or at least a 4-lane, ARC-style road) across GA into FL might be a good idea. On a recent trip to the FL Gulf Coast I had to take a zig-zag, mostly 2-lane route from Augusta to I-10 because there was no major corridor through the area. This is getting into fictional territory, but I would extend I-77 south by following I-20/520 to Augusta, then the US-319 corridor SW to I-10 near Tallahassee.

Henry

Quote from: Thing 342 on August 16, 2016, 12:11:28 PM

Bruce in Blacksburg
I doubt it, but an I-77 extension (or at least a 4-lane, ARC-style road) across GA into FL might be a good idea. On a recent trip to the FL Gulf Coast I had to take a zig-zag, mostly 2-lane route from Augusta to I-10 because there was no major corridor through the area. This is getting into fictional territory, but I would extend I-77 south by following I-20/520 to Augusta, then the US-319 corridor SW to I-10 near Tallahassee.
Well, according to this, there's a proposal to extend I-77 to Miami, using up the Turnpike. It's similar in scope to a plan that involves extending I-83 to Greensboro.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

SP Cook

Since #2 son moved to the Tampa area a year ago, we have made several trips between Southwest Virginia and west-central Florida. There is no easy way to get there from home. The "shortest" trip requires going east then west via I-26, I-95, and either I-4 or U.S. routes.

You are forgetting that both I-26 and I-4 (and the more logical US 301) are diagonal routes, and just how far west Florida is.

Draw a line due south from Blacksburg and you are in the ocean off South Carolina.  Blacksburg is 80.41 LON, while Tampa is 82.45, and the furtherest east point on 81-77-26-95-10-301-75 is the JCT of 26 and 95 which is 80.85 (while Tampa is the westernmost point).  80.85 - 80.41 is .44.  One degree of LON is roughly 69 miles.  .44 x 69  is about 31 miles.  Going 31 miles further east than you started at when leaving from a small town in a mountainous region on a trip south of over 700 miles is hardly justification for building hundreds of miles of highway.

VTGoose

Sounds like our return trip back in January -- up I-75 to exit 451 to pick up U.S. 129 into Georgia, to hit U.S. 221 near Lakeland. Followed that all the way up to Wrens, where we shifted to U.S. 1 into Augusta, then I-20 east to I-77. It wasn't a bad drive but it wasn't a way to make time.

VTGoose

Quote from: SP Cook on August 16, 2016, 01:30:45 PM
Draw a line due south from Blacksburg and you are in the ocean off South Carolina.  Blacksburg is 80.41 LON, while Tampa is 82.45, and the furtherest east point on 81-77-26-95-10-301-75 is the JCT of 26 and 95 which is 80.85 (while Tampa is the westernmost point).  80.85 - 80.41 is .44.  One degree of LON is roughly 69 miles.  .44 x 69  is about 31 miles.  Going 31 miles further east than you started at when leaving from a small town in a mountainous region on a trip south of over 700 miles is hardly justification for building hundreds of miles of highway.

:confused: This might make sense if we were talking about flying blind with only a compass as a guide. But this is about highways and more direct routes. I'm not asking for Georgia to build a new interstate just to ease my trip -- there are many people who probably would be more than happy to avoid Atlanta and I-26 and I-95 to travel from parts of the north to the western side of Florida.

CanesFan27

Quote from: Henry on August 16, 2016, 12:22:36 PM

Bruce in Blacksburg
Well, according to this, there's a proposal to extend I-77 to Miami, using up the Turnpike. It's similar in scope to a plan that involves extending I-83 to Greensboro.

Similar in that it's not a real plan.

lordsutch

When the Fall Line (not a) Freeway opens south of Milledgeville this, uh, fall, you'll at least have a mostly-four lane option from I-520 in Augusta to I-16/75 in Macon to get over to I-75; there's still a two-lane section through Wrens that probably won't be fixed until a TSPLOST happens, a bit of suburban slog at both ends, and GA 24 west of Sandersville is probably a year or more from being done. The pie-in-the-sky I-14 proposal would make it a full freeway. Problem is that takes you a long way out of the way for non-panhandle Florida.

The US 1 GRIP corridor south of Augusta may help more when it's done. That said SC widening I-95 from the state line to I-26 would probably help more (and probably will happen sooner).

As far as 301 goes, FDOT is apparently now selling the Starke bypass as a "Truck Route" now so maybe they'll actually build it and quietly forget to restrict it to truck traffic.

jwolfer

Quote from: Alex on May 14, 2009, 03:33:34 AM

Approving more sprawl...well look at what Orange County, FL is doing with the Alafaya Trail extension to the Beachline. That will open up the Deseret Ranch area for a potential 10,000 new homes.

The Deseret Ranch is owned by the LDS Church (aka Mormons).. they are the largest private landowner in Florida. They have plans for widespread development

jwolfer

Quote from: lordsutch on August 16, 2016, 09:49:33 PM
When the Fall Line (not a) Freeway opens south of Milledgeville this, uh, fall, you'll at least have a mostly-four lane option from I-520 in Augusta to I-16/75 in Macon to get over to I-75; there's still a two-lane section through Wrens that probably won't be fixed until a TSPLOST happens, a bit of suburban slog at both ends, and GA 24 west of Sandersville is probably a year or more from being done. The pie-in-the-sky I-14 proposal would make it a full freeway. Problem is that takes you a long way out of the way for non-panhandle Florida.

The US 1 GRIP corridor south of Augusta may help more when it's done. That said SC widening I-95 from the state line to I-26 would probably help more (and probably will happen sooner).

As far as 301 goes, FDOT is apparently now selling the Starke bypass as a "Truck Route" now so maybe they'll actually build it and quietly forget to restrict it to truck traffic.
Florida has always called bypasses TRUCK ROUTE. Back in the 1950s and earlier when they widened US higways business interests in  the small towns lobbied to have the higways plowed thru main streets of town to keep tourist dollars in town.

Ruined lots of history and made traveling slower. Which in turn gave impetus for the Florida turnpike, which was planned to go to Jacksonville at one point

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.