Pittsburgh - August 10th, 2019

Started by noelbotevera, August 30, 2018, 02:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Postmeet Activities

Kennywood Amusement Park
1 (16.7%)
Bridge tour (Three Sisters, West End)
4 (66.7%)
Tunnel tour (Wabash, Armstrong, Liberty)
4 (66.7%)
Nike missile sites
2 (33.3%)
Monroeville Mall
4 (66.7%)
Bigelow Mosaic (in case I choose not to have it on the tour)
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

noelbotevera

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on July 18, 2019, 08:47:43 PM
(after looking at the itinerary for the first time, last night)
(to anyone and no one in particular) Is there any reason for us NOT to follow PA 65 to West End Bridge, cross and take US 19 to I-376 west instead?
Nice catch.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

rickmastfan67

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 18, 2019, 09:14:35 PM
(to anyone and no one in particular) Is there any reason for us NOT to follow PA 65 to West End Bridge, cross and take US 19 to I-376 west instead?
Nice catch.

Then this would be better for that line:
QuoteTaking I-279 South towards it's Southern end, take Exit 1C onto PA 65 North (Ohio River Blvd) towards US 19. After a mile, exit onto US 19 South, & turn left & cross the West End Bridge. (NOTE: Pay attention to overhead lane markers, as bridge has variable lanes). Stay on US 19 for a mile, and merge onto I-376 West.

ANYWAYS, there IS a reason NOT to go that way right now.  US-19/PA-51 in that area is under heavy road construction between the West End Bridge & I-376.
https://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2019/01/15/PennDOT-Route-51-19-repavement-Duquesne-Heights-Shaler-Street-bridge-replacement-West-End-Circle/stories/201901150156

Also current construction status on it: https://www.penndot.gov/regionaloffices/district-11/pages/details.aspx?newsid=3534

Alps

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 18, 2019, 09:38:29 PM
Nice catch.

QuoteTaking I-279 South towards it's Southern end, take Exit 1C onto PA 65 North (Ohio River Blvd) towards US 19. After a mile, exit onto US 19 South, & turn left & cross the West End Bridge. (NOTE: Pay attention to overhead lane markers, as bridge has variable lanes). Stay on US 19 for a mile, and merge onto I-376 West.

ANYWAYS, there IS a reason NOT to go that way right now.  US-19/PA-51 in that area is under heavy road construction between the West End Bridge & I-376.
https://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2019/01/15/PennDOT-Route-51-19-repavement-Duquesne-Heights-Shaler-Street-bridge-replacement-West-End-Circle/stories/201901150156

Also current construction status on it: https://www.penndot.gov/regionaloffices/district-11/pages/details.aspx?newsid=3534
Heavy road construction sounds cool.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Alps on July 19, 2019, 12:32:37 AM
Nice catch.

Heavy road construction sounds cool.

If there was a good vantage point to look at it from. LOL. ;)

Hot Rod Hootenanny

So which would be the better alternative?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on July 19, 2019, 09:48:03 PM

So which would be the better alternative?

Honestly, which ever you prefer to attempt. lol.

deathtopumpkins

Apologies if this has already been addressed or if I'm missing something, but I've been looking at the itinerary and I'm really struggling to follow it.

Under Bigelow Boulevard, it says to follow PA 885 as long as possible, into downtown Pittsburgh, then turn right on Grant St, which you'll follow 5 blocks to Sixth Ave. However, from looking at Google Maps, 885 follows Blvd of the Allies (https://goo.gl/maps/GTD48kaJ3qSA59DYA), which leads you to ramps for the Liberty Bridge or I-579 north (https://goo.gl/maps/TUeJsAx8J1W3hgRn9). To get to Grant St downtown, it looks like you'd have to get on I-376 west instead, and then take Exit 71A, which leads you right to Grant St (albeit a block south of where this itinerary implies). While Blvd of the Allies is 2-way where it meets Grant St, the only way to get to that point is from the Liberty Bridge. There's no way to continue west on Blvd of the Allies at the Liberty Bridge/579 interchange: https://goo.gl/maps/dumtHrJ6bTQJGhFH9

Some other comments, from the perspective of someone who has never been to Pittsburgh and is not familiar with these roads:

• The itinerary begins with "head southbound on PA 885" despite the start location being a mile and a half to the east off PA 837 in Homestead
  • In general, it's probably best to list the actual signed destinations, to help people follow these directions. For example, the "ramp to the Bloomfield Bridge" is signed as just "Liberty Ave/Bloomfield", and PA 65 north is Exit 1C, signed as Ohio River Blvd, with no mention of US 19.
  • PA 28 does not end at I-279. It continues another half mile to a signal at Anderson St. You want to direct people toward the ramp on the right here: https://goo.gl/maps/zEPvYaThxJDPfBueA
  • The right turn from Laurel Hill Rd is onto Kenneweg Ave: https://goo.gl/maps/PwMgauqEEdNHs4qcA It's not Cecil-Reissing Rd yet at that point.
  • The road you turn onto from Cecil-Reissing Rd to get over to Cecil-Sturgeon Rd is called Rigert's Hill Rd

I hope these comments aren't taken as too critical, I just thought I'd offer them in order to help the meet run smoothly and prevent people from getting lost and missing or delaying stops. And I am still on the fence about attending.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

noelbotevera

I appreciate the feedback, as always. I'm not an expert on Pittsburgh roads, and signage is just...weird (and writing directions has never been my forte). I'll have to look through the itinerary with a fine toothed comb soon, but for now I've decided to choose a lunch location since so many recommended doing that. I've chosen the Primanti Bros. that's located in Homestead; sooner or later I'm going to see if I can't reserve a table or bar seats.

Aside from correcting errors, whatever I have there probably won't change anytime soon.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

oscar

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 22, 2019, 01:57:18 PM
I've chosen the Primanti Bros. that's located in Homestead; sooner or later I'm going to see if I can't reserve a table or bar seats.

Bar seats are not conducive to conversations within the meet group. I suggest holding out for a table, and finding out whether you can count on getting a table (or tables moved together, depending on any late RSVPs). I suggest also finding out sooner rather than later whether the meet group will likely fit, even if you're not ready to make a reservation for a specific number of people.

I too am on the fence on this one, though more on the "unlikely" side due to multiple potential schedule conflicts.

EDIT: Out for this one, with two conflicts that weekend (one of which I had to say "no" to). Summer is normally a good time to schedule meets, but a downside is that's when many other events get scheduled too.

I'm also out for the Milwaukee meet (so will miss A.J.'s birthday -- sorry!). Relatives flying in from Minnesota that weekend.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Alps

Quote from: oscar on July 22, 2019, 02:38:14 PM
I've chosen the Primanti Bros. that's located in Homestead; sooner or later I'm going to see if I can't reserve a table or bar seats.

Bar seats are not conducive to conversations within the meet group. I suggest holding out for a table, and finding out whether you can count on getting a table (or tables moved together, depending on any late RSVPs). I suggest also finding out sooner rather than later whether the meet group will likely fit, even if you're not ready to make a reservation for a specific number of people.

I too am on the fence on this one, though more on the "unlikely" side due to multiple potential schedule conflicts.
Nail down that restaurant this week. Oscar is right, we'll need a table. Preferably a separate section. Primanti's should be big enough to handle that for us.

rickmastfan67

I appreciate the feedback, as always. I'm not an expert on Pittsburgh roads, and signage is just...weird (and writing directions has never been my forte).

I'd throw the 'route' into Google Maps at least once to flesh stuff out.  It SHOULD have all current turn restrictions in it.

====

On a side note, they have been doing some work on the Parkway East, and been having random weekend shutdowns.  Bad news is that they don't announce the weekend shutdowns till like 2-3 days before they plan on doing it....  So, I'll try to keep an eye on news reports in case any last minute adjustments need to be done due to closures.

This page might help keep us up-to-date on possible issues with the Parkway and any traffic issues it might give the meet.
https://www.penndot.gov/RegionalOffices/district-11/ConstructionsProjectsAndRoadwork/Pages/Parkway-East.aspx

rickmastfan67

So, just curious, but who'd be up for carpooling during the meet? Car is having major issues ATM, so don't want to drive it too far.  Would prefer to hook up with somebody at the pre-meet location Downtown if possible.  PM me.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 26, 2019, 01:50:36 AM
So, just curious, but who'd be up for carpooling during the meet? Car is having major issues ATM, so don't want to drive it too far.  Would prefer to hook up with somebody at the pre-meet location Downtown if possible.  PM me.
I figured we were going to consolidate into fewer vehicles after lunch, like we've done at 99% of the meets I've attended.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on July 27, 2019, 09:39:12 PM
I figured we were going to consolidate into fewer vehicles after lunch, like we've done at 99% of the meets I've attended.

I'm guessing this will be the first road meet rickmastfan67 has attended.
-A.J. from Michigan

rickmastfan67

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on July 27, 2019, 09:40:39 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on July 27, 2019, 09:39:12 PM

I'm guessing this will be the first road meet rickmastfan67 has attended.

Bingo. lol.

But I also live closer to the 'pre-meet' part Downtown, thus why I'd like to hook up with somebody else there first if possible. ;)

jpi

If I do make it to the meet I plan to drive my Kia Spectra that seats 3 people besides myself.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

A.J. Bertin

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or on the Facebook event, but I have the impression that perhaps Alex checks this forum a bit more often than he checks the Facebook event.

Anyway, I have some questions:

1. I'm confused about what time the pre-meet will begin. One spot on the Facebook event says 10 a.m., but I also saw 10:30 or 11:00 as possible times. (I think the itinerary last said 11:00.)
2. For those of us who are attending the pre-meet, where exactly are we meeting... the free parking lot at near the bottom of the Duquesne Incline, the top of the incline (Upper Station along Grandview Ave.), or perhaps the Grandview Overlook which is a little ways to the southeast of Upper Station?
3. Is the itinerary on Facebook the most current version? If not, when will the latest version be posted?
4. Will printed copies of the itinerary be available at the meet, or should the attendees plan on printing our own copies and bringing them along?
5. For the folks who can't make the pre-meet activity, what time should they plan on arriving at Primanti Brothers in Homestead?

I'm really looking forward to this meet! Only a week away. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

noelbotevera

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on August 03, 2019, 12:10:48 PM
I wasn't sure whether to post this here or on the Facebook event, but I have the impression that perhaps Alex checks this forum a bit more often than he checks the Facebook event.

1. I'm confused about what time the pre-meet will begin. One spot on the Facebook event says 10 a.m., but I also saw 10:30 or 11:00 as possible times. (I think the itinerary last said 11:00.)
2. For those of us who are attending the pre-meet, where exactly are we meeting... the free parking lot at near the bottom of the Duquesne Incline, the top of the incline (Upper Station along Grandview Ave.), or perhaps the Grandview Overlook which is a little ways to the southeast of Upper Station?
3. Is the itinerary on Facebook the most current version? If not, when will the latest version be posted?
4. Will printed copies of the itinerary be available at the meet, or should the attendees plan on printing our own copies and bringing them along?
5. For the folks who can't make the pre-meet activity, what time should they plan on arriving at Primanti Brothers in Homestead?

1. I haven't updated the Facebook event. Yes, it should say 11:00.
2. I suppose the free parking lot will do. Since many aren't planning to attend the pre-meet, the lot should have ample room.
3. The forum one is outdated; I need to do a final pass through Google Maps and correct errors. At that point, I'll repost the itinerary; it'll definitely be ready come meet time.
4. I'll print out ten or so copies and staple them together. Though if you'd like, you can print out your own.
5. I'm not particular when people arrive; they can arrive during lunch if they can't make it. But since lunch is at noon, arriving somewhere around 11:45-12:00 should be fine.

For carpoolers: We'll be shifting cars around at Homestead. So plan around that, if you can.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 03, 2019, 03:41:32 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on August 03, 2019, 12:10:48 PM

1. I haven't updated the Facebook event. Yes, it should say 11:00.
2. I suppose the free parking lot will do. Since many aren't planning to attend the pre-meet, the lot should have ample room.
3. The forum one is outdated; I need to do a final pass through Google Maps and correct errors. At that point, I'll repost the itinerary; it'll definitely be ready come meet time.
4. I'll print out ten or so copies and staple them together. Though if you'd like, you can print out your own.
5. I'm not particular when people arrive; they can arrive during lunch if they can't make it. But since lunch is at noon, arriving somewhere around 11:45-12:00 should be fine.

For carpoolers: We'll be shifting cars around at Homestead. So plan around that, if you can.

Thanks for your quick response to my questions and providing clarification. For now, I have one thought in response...

I visited the website for the Duquesne Incline: http://www.duquesneincline.org/ . I can't tell from the website how often the ride departs from the bottom of the hill. Does anyone know? If we are supposed to gather at 11:00 at the bottom of the hill, how long will the wait be before we can ride it to the top? Let's say, in theory, we don't get to the top of the hill until 11:30. We'll want some time for photos, and then we'll have to wait for a ride back to the bottom of the hill where our cars are. I can't imagine us getting back to the bottom of the hill until at least noon, but you're saying that we're supposed to be at lunch in Homestead by noon. According to Google Maps, it's a 14-minute drive from the bottom of the hill to the Primanti Brothers in Homestead. We will likely not be at Primanti Brothers until at least 12:15. Allow a buffer for traffic/delays/stragglers and we're looking at 12:30. Primanti Brothers is a sit-down restaurant, and everyone would ideally be arriving at the restaurant at the same time... regardless of whether folks do the pre-meet activity or not. Steve suggested 9:30 as a meet-up time at the Duquesne Incline. I don't know if it's necessary to be there that early, but I would say 10 or 10:30 would be better than 11:00 and not cutting it so close for driving from there to Homestead.
-A.J. from Michigan

rickmastfan67

One thing I noticed about the Duquesne Incline, is that you MUST have CASH on hand.  So, have $5 on hand for the round trip (if the fares are current on their website).
http://www.duquesneincline.org/indexe6b4.html?page=hoursandfares

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on August 03, 2019, 09:45:52 PM
I visited the website for the Duquesne Incline: http://www.duquesneincline.org/ . I can't tell from the website how often the ride departs from the bottom of the hill. Does anyone know? If we are supposed to gather at 11:00 at the bottom of the hill, how long will the wait be before we can ride it to the top? Let's say, in theory, we don't get to the top of the hill until 11:30. We'll want some time for photos, and then we'll have to wait for a ride back to the bottom of the hill where our cars are. I can't imagine us getting back to the bottom of the hill until at least noon, but you're saying that we're supposed to be at lunch in Homestead by noon.

We also would have to factor in an extra 10 minute wait in each dirrection.  Saw this on their website:
QuoteSaturday's and Sunday's after noon are our busiest times. Expect to wait in line for about 10 minutes in both directions.

Alps

I would strongly encourage the pre-meet to start at 10:00 so that lunch can start at a reasonable hour. There is enough to see in a crowded city after lunch that starting the pre-meet at 11 will cause issues.

rickmastfan67

Alright, we MAY have issues with the Parkway East this upcoming weekend.

QuoteAdditionally, expansion dam replacement work will occur on the Second Avenue off-ramp and a westbound mainline restriction will occur the weekend of August 9-12. Restriction details will be provided in advance of the scheduled work.

https://www.penndot.gov/regionaloffices/district-11/pages/details.aspx?newsid=3641

Of course, they're not going to say exactly what they're going to be doing just yet....  :ded:  Because if it's down to 1 lane, that will be a major issue.  Hope it's going to be nighttime stuff, but who knows.

noelbotevera

Ok, I've pruned through the itinerary as best I can. I can't vouch for PA 576's accuracy, but I did try to correct other errors or clarify certain parts. I've also edited time estimations, but they are very rough. Come meet time, I may actually remove them from the itinerary.

Itinerary link
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 05, 2019, 12:59:04 PM
I've also edited time estimations, but they are very rough. Come meet time, I may actually remove them from the itinerary.

You wouldn't be the first (I've lopped off tour stops twice)

Alps

I know I originally said I'd help oversee the meet planning, but life etc. So I'll help make decisions as we go. First decision out of the way - lunch starts at 12. As the meet goes, I'm sure we'll be at the last stop later than planned, and we can figure out the remaining leg from there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.