News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Pittsburgh - August 10th, 2019

Started by noelbotevera, August 30, 2018, 02:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Postmeet Activities

Kennywood Amusement Park
1 (16.7%)
Bridge tour (Three Sisters, West End)
4 (66.7%)
Tunnel tour (Wabash, Armstrong, Liberty)
4 (66.7%)
Nike missile sites
2 (33.3%)
Monroeville Mall
4 (66.7%)
Bigelow Mosaic (in case I choose not to have it on the tour)
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Rothman on July 03, 2019, 06:54:25 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on July 03, 2019, 06:11:39 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 03, 2019, 04:46:03 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on July 03, 2019, 04:39:21 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 03, 2019, 12:49:13 AM
Quote from: Rothman on June 17, 2019, 09:39:20 PM
I am scared of commitment.
As am I.
That explains the Jacksonville meet.
Which explains why it got canceled, after initially being postponed until late February of 2022. I'm hosting the Orlando Meet in Early 2021 in its place for now.

How do we know that your fear of commitment won't prevent the Orlando meet in 2021 from being cancelled at the last minute like the Jacksonville meet was?
No kidding.  Planning this far in advance is begging for issues.

Kevin is autistic. He is unable to function by himself, he has to have one of his parents with him (as seen by those of us who attended the Western Chicago suburbs roadmeet last year). We all thought Kevin had good intentions when he announced a Jacksonville roadmeet for February of this year. The "chance of rain" wasn't what cancelled the meet, it was the lack of involvement by Kevin's parents that killed that meet. They didn't know what Kevin was doing till a week before, and they prevented Kevin from attending, much less hosting, said meet.  Thus, the lack of trust, most of us, have towards Kevin on these events now.
That said, now Kevin is spitballing places on a map that he would want to visit, in the guise of a roadmeet, hoping someone else will pick up the ball and assemble said event. This way Kevin can work on convincing his parents into taking him to said meeting (preferably by plane) without having to worry about letting everyone down if he can't make it.
It is Kevin's infatuation with event planning that is annoying us and prejudicing our opinions of anything Kevin adds to this message board.
If Kevin can't stop it, we'll need third parties (i.e. Admins/moderators) to "protect" Kevin from himself.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

noelbotevera

For those on the fence about attending: I'd say I need a definitive headcount by the beginning of August. Somewhere around the week of July 27th - August 3rd, where I'll book the restaurant. Feel free to PM me if you have any reservations about attending and I'll try to resolve them the best I can. I'm assuming that one week is plenty of time for a restaurant to prepare for a decent sized group of people (I'm expecting no more than 20 people, maybe even less).

The itinerary is essentially set in stone at this point, but for those who want to make last minute suggestions, then speak up now. I'm also setting the itinerary deadline at the same week of the restaurant, just to get last minute thoughts.

Regarding communication, I'm unsure if I should post my personal cell phone number here. I hope I've written clear enough instructions on the itinerary, but the portion regarding 576 is constantly changing, so I currently have no clue which roads are open or closed.

Regarding Kevin...I have no clue how to tackle this. I've never heard of meets where they've ostracized attendants, and I don't want to start that precedent. I'll leave myself neutral on the issue, and hopefully we come to some sort of consensus in the coming days. I do recall being like him, trying to attend and suggest ideas for meets near and far, so I can understand his viewpoint.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 03, 2019, 10:06:24 PM
Regarding Kevin...I have no clue how to tackle this. I've never heard of meets where they've ostracized attendants, and I don't want to start that precedent. I'll leave myself neutral on the issue, and hopefully we come to some sort of consensus in the coming days. I do recall being like him, trying to attend and suggest ideas for meets near and far, so I can understand his viewpoint.

I've been on this forum for several years now. There was a time when I used to express ideas of, "Oh wouldn't it be cool if someone hosted a meet in such-and-such place?" The reason I used to express those ideas was because I wanted a reason to visit these random places. Well, that's what prompted me to come up with my "city meet" concept. If I want a reason to visit a random place that I otherwise have no reason to visit, I'm going to create a reason, host an event, and invite folks along even if it's a place I know nothing about and can't scout beforehand. I have to give some credit to Steve Alpert who gave me some inspiration for this idea. He has a philosophy of, "If you want to create an event, host it and invite others."

About the Pittsburgh meet, I'll definitely be there. I'm very much looking forward to it!
-A.J. from Michigan

Rothman

Thanks for the additional insight, Hot Rod.

I certainly have no problem with people suggesting places for meetups, but saying they'll actually host when they're actually unable is another matter. 
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on July 03, 2019, 09:40:37 PM
The "chance of rain" wasn't what cancelled the meet, it was the lack of involvement by Kevin's parents that killed that meet. They didn't know what Kevin was doing till a week before, and they prevented Kevin from attending, much less hosting, said meet.
Why didn't he get them involved sooner?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: vdeane on July 04, 2019, 08:37:43 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on July 03, 2019, 09:40:37 PM
The "chance of rain" wasn't what cancelled the meet, it was the lack of involvement by Kevin's parents that killed that meet. They didn't know what Kevin was doing till a week before, and they prevented Kevin from attending, much less hosting, said meet.
Why didn't he get them involved sooner?
Kevin is older than 21, he thought he could do "adult" decisions, and then he panicked.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 03, 2019, 09:50:16 PM
I've been actively monitoring the itinerary in case I come up with any edits.

STOP IT, KEVIN!!  :whip:

rickmastfan67

The itinerary is essentially set in stone at this point, but for those who want to make last minute suggestions, then speak up now. I'm also setting the itinerary deadline at the same week of the restaurant, just to get last minute thoughts.

Might want to repost the current itinerary link so everybody can see it again.

Regarding communication, I'm unsure if I should post my personal cell phone number here. I hope I've written clear enough instructions on the itinerary, but the portion regarding 576 is constantly changing, so I currently have no clue which roads are open or closed.

I would not publicly post your cell # here.  Bots could pick it up and start spamming you robo calls as this section is visible to the public.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 05, 2019, 05:10:54 AM

I would not publicly post your cell # here.  Bots could pick it up and start spamming you robo calls as this section is visible to the public.

Instead of posting your cell number here, post something on the Facebook event page that encourages attendees to send you a private message there if they feel they need your number.
-A.J. from Michigan

signalman

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on July 05, 2019, 07:19:10 AM
Instead of posting your cell number here, post something on the Facebook event page that encourages attendees to send you a private message there if they feel they need your number.
That was the same exact thought that I had.  Another possibility, albeit a tedious one, is to PM folks who are going on here.  I suppose it isn't necessary for everyone to have the host's number either.  Plenty of us know each other and can pass the message along to others.  For example; I'm not certain that I'll be going yet, but if I do, I'll likely carpool with Alps.  Since he and I only live about 15 minutes from one and other, it makes sense.  In such a case, it wouldn't be necessary for both of us to have the host's number.  One of us is plenty sufficient.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: signalman on July 05, 2019, 08:03:13 AM
That was the same exact thought that I had.  Another possibility, albeit a tedious one, is to PM folks who are going on here.  I suppose it isn't necessary for everyone to have the host's number either.  Plenty of us know each other and can pass the message along to others.  For example; I'm not certain that I'll be going yet, but if I do, I'll likely carpool with Alps.  Since he and I only live about 15 minutes from one and other, it makes sense.  In such a case, it wouldn't be necessary for both of us to have the host's number.  One of us is plenty sufficient.

The only occasions I can think of where an attendee would need to have the host's phone number would be if the attendee is running late and wants to give the host a heads up, or if the attendee gets lost while on the tour. But if the host provides directions in the itinerary that are clear enough for everyone to understand, that shouldn't be an issue... as long as the attendee is following the directions carefully.
-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on July 05, 2019, 01:45:09 PM
Quote from: signalman on July 05, 2019, 08:03:13 AM

The only occasions I can think of where an attendee would need to have the host's phone number would be if the attendee is running late and wants to give the host a heads up, or if the attendee gets lost while on the tour. But if the host provides directions in the itinerary that are clear enough for everyone to understand, that shouldn't be an issue... as long as the attendee is following the directions carefully.
Past practice has been to assemble as many phone numbers as possible so that as the host takes attendance at each stop, he's mostly guaranteed to have a contact number in whichever car may be lost. Since people switch cars it's best to get as many numbers as possible. The host often will print his number in the directions right up front so that any car can tell him if they need to stop or are lost.

jpi

My attendance is 50/50 right now for this meet, I will know for sure when Steph and I get back from our cross country road trip on 7/30, I am hoping to go but she more then likely will not be able to make it  :-/
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

noelbotevera

Updating this thread to repost my itinerary. Remember that I still accept suggestions until the end of July.

Itinerary
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

rickmastfan67

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 08, 2019, 04:58:14 PM
Updating this thread to repost my itinerary. Remember that I still accept suggestions until the end of July.

Itinerary

Might need to tweak the TUNNEL MOSAIC part.  If I remember correctly, it's already been removed due to the pre-work for the capping of I-579.

I'm trying to find a link about this, but give me a chance to find it to prove it.

EDIT: Here. https://triblive.com/local/pittsburgh-allegheny/pittsburgh-preserving-historic-tunnel-mosaic-under-bigelow-boulevard/
So, hate to throw a wrench into the plans here. :(

rickmastfan67

Also some suggestions here (if the Bigelow tunnel part is sorta kept in due to my post above) and corrections that need to be made:

Ignore offers for parking and keep to the left or middle lanes to continue onto Bigelow Boulevard. Follow signs for Bigelow Boulevard (PA 380 East). Continue on Bigelow until you reach the Bloomfield Bridge, then turn left onto the bridge.

At the end of the bridge, continue straight onto Main Street. Turn left onto Penn Avenue or Butler Street, then turn right onto 40th Street. This can be somewhat tricky, as Main and 40th are relatively close together.

1) You CAN'T turn left from Bigelow onto the Bloomfield Bridge.  It's a prohibited turn.  There's a separate 'ramp' before the bridge that you need to take to access the Bloomfield Bridge. https://goo.gl/maps/ZYQ1w8yxA3mHowyYA

2) After crossing the Bloomfield Bridge, here's a 10x better way to get to 40th Street.  Trust me from experience.
QuoteAt the end of the bridge, make sure you're in the left lane to turn left onto Liberty Avenue. Continue along Liberty Avenue to the next traffic light (which will be 40th Street & look for this sign to help) and turn right.  Then follow 40th Street down to the 40th Street Bridge.

Also, for the following section (Taking I-279 South to the end, merge onto I-376 West. STAY IN THE RIGHTMOST THROUGH LANE TO I-376 WEST. THE MERGE IS NOT FORGIVING.), it's still not fully explaining that.  I'll try to draw up a graphic for it for everybody. (now below)

mrsman

That looks complicated.  Thanks for the explanation.

Nexus 5X

EDITED TO ADD:  And even more interesting is that before 2009, this part of I-376 was also I-279, so you had to do this complicated lane change to stay on the same highway.
I doubt that the signs are adequate to warn people of this.  You probably get one big sign and then the feeling is "$#!%, I got to change lanes now."

74/171FAN

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 17, 2019, 09:37:09 PM
I personally have not committed as I am unsure how much I will be needed at a church event that day.

I most likely will not be coming unless I post otherwise.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: mrsman on July 09, 2019, 07:59:11 PM
That looks complicated.  Thanks for the explanation.

Nexus 5X

EDITED TO ADD:  And even more interesting is that before 2009, this part of I-376 was also I-279, so you had to do this complicated lane change to stay on the same highway.
I doubt that the signs are adequate to warn people of this.  You probably get one big sign and then the feeling is "$#!%, I got to change lanes now."

You don't even really get a big sign except on the "Portal Bridge" (and it even doesn't tell you you'll have merge to continue on I-376).  Since you're on the lower deck of each bridge, all you get are 'mini' signs that you can possibly miss since they're hidden up in the bridge above you.
https://goo.gl/maps/NfYwQ4rwBFNNdW3y7

Even in that StreetView image above, you can see the insanity this can bring, as they are backed up onto the Fort Duquesne Bridge and you see see the people fighting to merge over if you rotate the image around 180.  And this is before the ~ insanity that is called the Fort Pitt Bridge since you now have the WB I-376 traffic to deal with & a ramp from Downtown (that has a stop sign and merges with I-279 SB just before the WB I-376 lanes join in). lol.

I've seen a lot of 'OH FUCK' drivers trying to merge at the last second on the Fort Pitt Bridge once they realize that they are going to be forced onto PA-837 towards the West End Circle.

PHLBOS

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 11, 2019, 09:26:59 PMYou don't even really get a big sign except on the "Portal Bridge" (and it even doesn't tell you you'll have merge to continue on I-376).
Side bar comment: interesting way of treating what was once a numbered exit off I-279 (blank-green exit tab) prior to the truncated I-279/extended I-376 conversion.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

mrsman

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 12, 2019, 08:51:47 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 11, 2019, 09:26:59 PMYou don't even really get a big sign except on the "Portal Bridge" (and it even doesn't tell you you'll have merge to continue on I-376).
Side bar comment: interesting way of treating what was once a numbered exit off I-279 (blank-green exit tab) prior to the truncated I-279/extended I-376 conversion.
It probably should still have an exit number as you are still on current I-279 at that point.

Maybe both directions of I-376 need exit numbers.

And as far as the mini-signs that were posted by Rick, they are slightly misleading.
They say:

Left lane (#1 lane): This lane Convention Center
Second to left lane (#2 lane): This lane Ft Duquesne Blvd
Second to right lane (#3 lane) This lane Monroeville
Right lane (#4 lane): 376 West Airport

Both the #3 and #4 lanes allow you access to 376 West.  It isn't clear from this sign alone that both lanes provide the access.

PHLBOS

Quote from: mrsman on July 12, 2019, 12:49:09 PM
It probably should still have an exit number as you are still on current I-279 at that point.

At present, many but not all Interstate termini interchanges in PA are unnumbered... especially at the southern or western ones.  Otherwise, yes both directions would have exit (XX A/XX B) numbers.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

rickmastfan67

And as far as the mini-signs that were posted by Rick, they are slightly misleading.
They say:

Left lane (#1 lane): This lane Convention Center
Second to left lane (#2 lane): This lane Ft Duquesne Blvd
Second to right lane (#3 lane) This lane Monroeville
Right lane (#4 lane): 376 West Airport

Both the #3 and #4 lanes allow you access to 376 West.  It isn't clear from this sign alone that both lanes provide the access.

Go farther back on the bridge.  There's a few more sets.  I just linked the final set.  Plus, they don't have the room to put everything there.  Especially since you NEED to be in the #3 lane for the I-376 East 'Monroeville' maneuver.

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 12, 2019, 01:10:44 PM

At present, many but not all Interstate termini interchanges in PA are unnumbered... especially at the southern or western ones.  Otherwise, yes both directions would have exit (XX A/XX B) numbers.

Would have been a perfect place for an exit '0', since '1A' is used by previous exit for the 10th Street Bypass/Ft Duquesne Blvd.

And I would have just given the 'I-376 West' one an exit number since the other used to be (and I think is still considered) mainline I-279 SB.

PAHighways

Historically, Interstate-to-Interstate interchanges were not numbered but rather designated "JUNCTION" such as I-79/I-80 was prior to the exit number conversion.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 09, 2019, 12:48:18 AM
Also some suggestions here (if the Bigelow tunnel part is sorta kept in due to my post above) and corrections that need to be made:

Also, for the following section (Taking I-279 South to the end, merge onto I-376 West. STAY IN THE RIGHTMOST THROUGH LANE TO I-376 WEST. THE MERGE IS NOT FORGIVING.), it's still not fully explaining that.  I'll try to draw up a graphic for it for everybody. (now below)

(after looking at the itinerary for the first time, last night)
(to anyone and no one in particular) Is there any reason for us NOT to follow PA 65 to West End Bridge, cross and take US 19 to I-376 west instead?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.